Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Why so superficial?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:34 am
I don't mean to insult anyone... but I do often see phrases like "Praise the Lord!" or "Glory to God!" not just among church, but in even home, or casual online settings, particularly here-- I noticed it.

We don't really say such things about anything dealing with God. It's not a form of speech we use for anything else. The amount of old-english formality to replicate the way the KJV sounds is all over the place. You hear it on TV, on the radio, and from just about every preacher there is.

I just don't quite get the superficiality here. Why don't we speak from our own dialects? Do we really have to quote the bible to give thanks to God? We have our own ways of saying things. I just don't get the mask people put on when it seems so hokey and fake, even if they mean well.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 am
How about praise YHWH! Glory to YHWH!

How would you say these things?  

Azkeel

Phantom Jutsu

Shameless Pyromaniac

14,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Divorced 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 am
I know that personally,while I am writing down praises to the Lord, bits and snippets of scripture and songs of praise or sermons slip their way in. A part of language is repeating what we hear; if we've heard it before, we're that much more likely to like the sound of it again, or at least have that phrase come to us more quickly than something of our own invention. Also, the bible is so rich with praise and truth; and it is our one true authority. It would sertianly be a shame to never use it in expression. The new testament is loaded with quotes from the old testament.
I think you're right. it's easy to have superficial phrases that are simply said without meaning. But just because the phrase gets said a lot does not mean you can't say it with conviction.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 am
I think one of the more used things in media that gets me, is "The truth will set you free.." They use it to with a different meaning, without having any connection to scripture/relating to God.

The ones that use this in movies and things, do they not realize it's supposed to be referring to the Bible and the Truth, which is signifigantly different than normal every-day rumors? =_=
I mean, it's become a phrase that relates to every-day life when it had orginally come from the Bible...
John 8:32, then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free...
/may or may not be off-topic. Apologies..  

PuellaSumDei

rosadria

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 am
Language is my job. I love old dialects, especially in my native language.

Anyway. Older style English (technically not Old English, but that's another day) sounds pretty. For me, it becomes a habit sometimes. A way to go out of my way to make something pretty for the Lord, because He knows I don't have much in the way of actual artistic talent. However, I do prefer to keep it private. A lot of people don't like it, and a good ole southern dialect doesn't hurt anyone but non native speakers.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 pm
Phantom Jutsu
I know that personally,while I am writing down praises to the Lord, bits and snippets of scripture and songs of praise or sermons slip their way in. A part of language is repeating what we hear; if we've heard it before, we're that much more likely to like the sound of it again, or at least have that phrase come to us more quickly than something of our own invention. Also, the bible is so rich with praise and truth; and it is our one true authority. It would sertianly be a shame to never use it in expression. The new testament is loaded with quotes from the old testament.
I think you're right. it's easy to have superficial phrases that are simply said without meaning. But just because the phrase gets said a lot does not mean you can't say it with conviction.
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I agree with this. Especially the last sentence.

...Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 pm
faithful quenga
Phantom Jutsu

It's not that I disagree with her... its just I'm a bit disgusted with those who use said dialect and turn around and do things contrary to Jesus's teachings.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:13 pm
False Dichotomy
faithful quenga
Phantom Jutsu

It's not that I disagree with her... its just I'm a bit disgusted with those who use said dialect and turn around and do things contrary to Jesus' teachings.

Unfortunately that's the nature of sin. We all have sin nature and we all commit sins. I sin everyday, I praise the Lord with my words and with most of my actions, but I do stumble and I do fall. That doesn't make me any less of a Christian, it just makes me human and imperfect. I am so thankful for God who forgives my mistakes even if I knowingly sin against him. I cuss at times, I think bad thoughts and say mean things, I judge people on occasion, I don't always pray to God before I make a decision, and I'm often short tempered when I have had a bad day and that hurts people's feelings. I not a single one of those things is right in the eyes of God yet I still struggle with it. I have to constantly give myself and my will to the Lord because I constantly take it back. I'm still growing and maturing in Faith and His Word.

It's sad to see a believer praise God with their words yet deny him in their actions. It has untold lasting consequences on those who are watching. I know from experience of my own failures and those of others. The best thing to do is pray for everyone that they praise Jesus with their words and with their actions. As well as talk to those who are wrong in their actions, in a LOVING yet completely truthful and honest way.

Don't look down on the person who is doing that, look down on the sin yes, but lift the person up to God and help them to not trip and fall.

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm
faithful quenga
False Dichotomy
faithful quenga
Phantom Jutsu

It's not that I disagree with her... its just I'm a bit disgusted with those who use said dialect and turn around and do things contrary to Jesus' teachings.

Unfortunately that's the nature of sin. We all have sin nature and we all commit sins. I sin everyday, I praise the Lord with my words and with most of my actions, but I do stumble and I do fall. That doesn't make me any less of a Christian, it just makes me human and imperfect. I am so thankful for God who forgives my mistakes even if I knowingly sin against him. I cuss at times, I think bad thoughts and say mean things, I judge people on occasion, I don't always pray to God before I make a decision, and I'm often short tempered when I have had a bad day and that hurts people's feelings. I not a single one of those things is right in the eyes of God yet I still struggle with it. I have to constantly give myself and my will to the Lord because I constantly take it back. I'm still growing and maturing in Faith and His Word.

It's sad to see a believer praise God with their words yet deny him in their actions. It has untold lasting consequences on those who are watching. I know from experience of my own failures and those of others. The best thing to do is pray for everyone that they praise Jesus with their words and with their actions. As well as talk to those who are wrong in their actions, in a LOVING yet completely truthful and honest way.

Don't look down on the person who is doing that, look down on the sin yes, but lift the person up to God and help them to not trip and fall.

Thank you.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces