Submit

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am
As the title says, discuss your NaNo plots for November.

...I still haven't settled on mine.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am
Well my plot starts with a boy and a girl! And no...it's not a romance. I'm actually trying to figure out what it is myself.  

Valentine Valtieri

Blessed Hunter

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am
ultimashade
Well my plot starts with a boy and a girl! And no...it's not a romance. I'm actually trying to figure out what it is myself.

That's vague, lol.

I like the idea of it not being a romance though. There's enough of those already, I think people occasionally forget it's possible to just be friends.

What genre are you writing?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 am
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's vague, lol.

I like the idea of it not being a romance though. There's enough of those already, I think people occasionally forget it's possible to just be friends.

Fantasy has always been a kind of obsession for me so I chose to try that out. It's kind of...modern actually so I'm impressed I haven't done anything like add dragons. The main characters are already set though, I've got their name, history, and everything all written down.  

Valentine Valtieri

Blessed Hunter

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's vague, lol.

Fantasy has always been a kind of obsession for me so I chose to try that out. It's kind of...modern actually so I'm impressed I haven't done anything like add dragons. The main characters are already set though, I've got their name, history, and everything all written down.

Modern fantasy? I love writing that kind of thing. <3

Good luck with NaNo, then. You're already a lot farther in planning than I am. crying  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:23 am
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's vague, lol.

Good luck with NaNo, then. You're already a lot farther in planning than I am. crying

Thanks, and good luck to you too. If I know myself I probably won't even finish it because I'll want to change something. Hopefully this'll be perfect though!  

Valentine Valtieri

Blessed Hunter

She-Ra of Etheria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am
I'm gonna write a fantasy novel that I've been wanting to do for some time now. Currently working on all the prep work before November hits so I will hopefully be ready when it starts.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's vague, lol.

Thanks, and good luck to you too. If I know myself I probably won't even finish it because I'll want to change something. Hopefully this'll be perfect though!

No! Don't start saying that already, it's too soon! XD

Try to ignore the perfectionist urges while writing. It's the first draft, first drafts are supposed to be like that. What I do is continue writing, maybe go back to add an alternate version of the scene, but continue nonetheless. And keep the old one for comparisons. It's not that simple if it's a huge change you want to make, but try your best to continue where you left off and where you want the story to go when you're finished writing the alternative version anyway.
(That being said, my first drafts are usually very sloppy.)

There's no such thing as a perfect first copy, so don't stress out over getting everything right too much. It's good that you want your story to be the best it can be, but if you can't look past that occasionally you'll never get anywhere. smile

...Okay, I'm done lecturing now. sweatdrop  

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 am
She-Ra of Etheria
I'm gonna write a fantasy novel that I've been wanting to do for some time now. Currently working on all the prep work before November hits so I will hopefully be ready when it starts.

Can I ask what kind of fantasy?

Normally, I'd have my story all planned out and neatly outlined by now. But I'm so far out of it, I'm not even sure what genre I want to write at the moment.

Good luck on NaNo!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:37 am
It's set in a medieval type era. Since I absolutely adore that era and somehow almost always write things set during that time.  

She-Ra of Etheria

Valentine Valtieri

Blessed Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's vague, lol.

Try to ignore the perfectionist urges while writing. It's the first draft, first drafts are supposed to be like that. What I do is continue writing, maybe go back to add an alternate version of the scene, but continue nonetheless. And keep the old one for comparisons. It's not that simple if it's a huge change you want to make, but try your best to continue where you left off and where you want the story to go when you're finished writing the alternative version anyway.

There's no such thing as a perfect first copy, so don't stress out over getting everything right too much. It's good that you want your story to be the best it can be, but if you can't look past that occasionally you'll never get anywhere. smile

I'll keep this in mind, it'll keep me from tearing my hair out if I have to go back and rewrite. That'll make everything so much easier on me now! Now I'll just go make my main antagonist, and I hope he'll turn out as a real bad guy and not a conflicted anti-hero. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:40 am
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

I'll keep this in mind, it'll keep me from tearing my hair out if I have to go back and rewrite. That'll make everything so much easier on me now! Now I'll just go make my main antagonist, and I hope he'll turn out as a real bad guy and not a conflicted anti-hero. xp

...But since it's NaNoWriMo, I'll give you another reason not to go back and erase things: The word count.

Writing antagonists is so much fun. biggrin  

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250

Valentine Valtieri

Blessed Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:48 am
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

...But since it's NaNoWriMo, I'll give you another reason not to go back and erase things: The word count.

That's a...good...point. stare

The challenge with writing antagonists is their attitude, their histories, their reactions, and other things like that. Since every character you make, no matter how small it is, has a part of you somewhere in there I always end up making bad guys who'll do good things sometimes; that means I've made an anti-hero and that's not what I want. You can tell how embarrassing it is when you make an extremely evil genius and he saves a cat from a tree. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 pm
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade
WickedREMY
ultimashade

That's a...good...point. stare

The challenge with writing antagonists is their attitude, their histories, their reactions, and other things like that. Since every character you make, no matter how small it is, has a part of you somewhere in there I always end up making bad guys who'll do good things sometimes; that means I've made an anti-hero and that's not what I want. You can tell how embarrassing it is when you make an extremely evil genius and he saves a cat from a tree. sweatdrop

On the flip side, even the worst people have something good about them. Trying to make a character one-hundred percent good or evil might end up in them sounding a bit flat, which is why even heroes have flaws and even villains have weaknesses.
Though if you want to give people the idea that he's truly, genuinely evil, just avoid writing your antagonist in any scene that might shine some light on his "good" qualities. But personally... I enjoy writing in shades of gray. It's more my style than straight up good and bad.

I attempted to break myself of that habit once by writing stories and characters that had views the opposite of mine. So if I thought something was bad, I attempted to portray it in a positive light. There were some exceptions, of course. For example, I'd never, ever pretend that raping someone could be a good thing.  

Soaring Sheep

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:55 pm
I'm writing up the story i mentioned in my HALP PLZ topic; the asexual romance. It's a fantasy too, but I'm not quite certain about the era quite yet; it's fairly medival, yeah, but I'm still working on what technologies they do/don't have.

The big issue is seeing if there's enough plot to make the word count. I have only the vaguest idea about how it ends, and I don't know if I'll be able to make it up on the fly while still having it be tolerable. I don't even know what to name the MCs yet...

Also, the term for a villain who has more in common with an anti-hero than a cliched big bad is an anti-villain.  
NaNoWriMo [And Other Contests]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff