Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
History Section Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson looked over the book, thinking. "Well, for one thing, I protest that my ancestors seemed to think that anything scientific or purely unknown was viewed as magic. There are plenty of facts being found in muggle archaeological sites that points to the fact that the ancients had a very clear and concise view of their world. Whatever Wizards they were around they probably figured out a way to replicate their results using completely muggle means. Also, the feats that are attributed to the gods, such as automatic water and the like can be linked to sleight of hand in some cases. Now, as for some mythological beings, I am not going to suppose that they are or are not real. That gets messy really quickly, especially in the colonies. Muggles back then actually had a pretty good grasp as to some magic, they just couldn't use it and actually coexisted peacefully with Wizards. It's not until later that there's the whole mess that causes the rift between the groups."

----------------------------------
State: Reading
OOC: ...

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe
Mythology Professor // Former Gryffindor // Wearing in the Libraryspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Grayson Powellspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Pleasantspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'They have a copy of Mum's book here? How did I not know that?' spacespac

═════════════════════════════════

Amata pulled out the chair across from her fellow professor and took a seat, her eyebrows arched and her eyes dancing as he went into a rather long spiel about all the things her mother had apparently gotten wrong. She listened with interest, and learned a few things about her companion. One, that he was either halfblood or muggleborn, likely the latter since he was so offended at the prospect of muggles being so foolish. Second, that he was smart, because his argument was very well-rounded. Third, that he was a history buff, since he clearly had some knowledge on the subject. Delightful. Generally, when people read her mother's book and found it less than adequate, they were merely offended because they felt that the muggles of the ancient world were being called stupid, and they didn't tend to think much past that. The man before her, however, had clearly given it a fair bit of thought. She put on a mostly-serious expression, her eyes being the only characteristic that showed how mirthful she was. "Well, to be fair, the author merely mentions things that were unable to be explained. She never implied that they simply slapped a label on them. Only that, when they failed to come to an understanding as to the real, natural cause, they chose to apply an otherworldly explanation. It wasn't so much their intelligence or attempt to understand being critiqued, so much as the tools they had at the time. And you are quite right, they did find ways to either mimic or even outshine their magical counterparts over time. She chose to focus mostly on the attempts to replicate that which they could not, but I know for a fact that the author believes Muggle medicine to be years ahead of our own in most respects." Knew because it was her mother. She wondered how long it would take her companion to ask her how she knew this so well, or to accuse her of putting words into the author's mouth. Most people did so at about this point, and it was always fun to see their face when she told them that the woman was her mother. She quirked her mouth, fighting a playful smile. This was serious, after all. Fun, but serious. She continued her argument, curious to how he would respond. His opinion was no less valid, of course, but a good debate was always fun. "As for the coexistence, I believe the point wasn't that they ignored magic or considered it some untouchable thing; quite the contrary. They applied the label of magic to that which they didn't understand so easily because they coexisted peacefully with proof that such things were, in fact, possible. Put yourself in the position of a muggle in, say, Ancient Greece. If you knew that your neighbor could wave a stick and, say, create fire, what would stop you from thinking it was entirely possible for there to be a stronger magic that created the stars? I think that, actually, the reason that muggle science has taken such great strides in recent years is because they no longer accept the existence of magic on a widespread level. It is because they no longer have an easy answer that they have sought their own. And, because they no longer believe, and have gotten so used to seeking scientific proof for the unexplained, they no longer accept, without obvious, irrefutable evidence, that magic exists. At least, as a whole. There are a few who believe in our world without being shown it. But those people are becoming more and more rare. They haven't become blind or oblivious; they just refuse to accept anything without an explanation that they can look at under a microscope." Amata's father had accepted her mother without a second thought. Her muggleborn friends had been loved no less once their magic was revealed than before. Muggles, on the small level, had a remarkable ability to take magic in stride and accept it, even appreciate it. But there were some who would never accept it, who would always either fear or envy it, and those people were often so persuasive. Those who envied it were power-hungry, and were often individuals in positions of power. So easy for them to convince others who weren't invested in the positive side that the negative was right. It was because of those people that the Statue of Secrecy had been enacted. But, perhaps that was a good thing. Perhaps muggles seeking their own answers was better. They did, after all, have medicine figured out pretty well, among a great many other things. Things which they had never questioned until magic was no longer part of the equation in their lives.

(( OOC: ))

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:56 pm
User Image
User Image

Grayson frowned, looking at his fellow professor. "Ah, but that's the thing. Most Wizards don't realize that muggles are now probably back to the technology level, if not a bit more advanced than, of the time before the Roman empire fell. A lot of contraptions, like the steam engine and the coin-operated machines, were conceived at least a millenia before they were rediscovered in recent centuries. Not only that, there has been proof that muggles have experienced several Dark Ages, not just one, and technology once thought lost is being found again, and other technologies that might actually never be rediscovered again. Sadly, there's some muggles that think their ancestors were dumber than a box of rocks and couldn't figure out any of this, and therefore think that their own ancestors survived by sheer, dumb luck. I'm not going to deny that wizards didn't help their fellow man in those times, but the muggles weren't nearly as useless as what seemed to be pointed out in magical texts. Then again, there have been a lot of negativity directed at both groups for so long, that the very idea of them working together at some point, as I found out by teaching, seemed to be completely alien to most. I certainly wouldn't have believed it, well, until I started digging. And yes, I might be one of those 'muggles' that needed stuff shoved under my nose, but the more I read into it, the more fascinated I became with it. Thus why I used to do the work I was in. You'd be surprised at how many times I've had to Obliviate muggles because they stumbled across magical artifacts on archaeological digs."

OOC: And the history buff rears it's ugly head! XDDDDDD

Cara MiaKitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'They have a copy of Mum's book here? How did I not know that?' spacespac

Amata tilted her head, leaning her cheek onto her fist, smiling as she listened to the man before her. His knowledge was impressive; not many wizards knew so much about muggle history, even those of muggle descent. They tended to get wrapped up in the history of magical folk and assume that anything muggle was boring. "It's fascinating, isn't it? They've accomplished so much, only to lose it, again and again. And I think it's fair to assume that we have also lost much. There are magics spoken of in our own books that we find as unbelievable as muggles do their own historical advancements. And the evidence suggests that we lost those spells and that knowledge at the same time that they lost those ancient technologies. The gaps in our history coincide with their own. And yet, we treat each other as if we are wholly separate. As if their troubles aren't ours, as if our accomplishments have nothing to do with theirs. When in fact, we are about as connected as we could be." Amata crossed her arms and leaned forward, flashing a smile, her eyes bright. "You know, not many wizards know so much about Muggles. Even those from Muggle backgrounds seem to get so wrapped up in magic that they seem to utterly neglect their heritage. As if the two histories are truly separate. But I've always felt like it's all one and the same, really. A shame that we ignore their side of the story, isn't it? And that we even act like there is a side." He was rather interesting, actually. Amata couldn't believe they hadn't spoken before. He'd been here at least as long as she had. She supposed she'd been wrapped up in getting used to teaching her first year, and afterwards, she'd been wrapped up in... well, everything else. Dealing with Regret's betrayal and apparent madness had taken a toll on her. But, she actually felt like herself right now. It'd been so long since she'd spoken to anyone like this... it was nice. She held out her hand. "I don't believe we've officially met, have we? It seems rather odd, but I do believe it's true. I'm Amata Harlowe, the Mythology professor." She offered a smile, hoping she hadn't offended or upset him. She tended to get caught up in her conversations and debates. She enjoyed them, occasionally treated it like a game. It was nice to stretch the brain. Meanwhile, others on occasion, found her grating, sometimes felt like she was mocking them. But she'd always loved learning, and every conversation held some gem of knowledge she didn't already have. She enjoyed it. Was that so bad? But so many people read her the wrong way. She really should learn to take things more seriously. But it just wasn't in her blood.

Diamond_Wales

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm
User Image
User Image

Grayson grinned, realizing he was actually enjoying this conversation. Not many people would. They would have bowed out much earlier. Grayson could never imagine why, though. "Yeah, especially since so many events coincide between the two, and not one person has put together that there could be common causality between the two. I mean, look at the time Grindelwald rose and fell, and the timeframe of World War II. They coincide so well, it's almost like Grindelwald was working with the Nazis at the time. Which puts a darker tone to the whole thing. If any wizards were involved, muggles would have no idea, or took their secrets to the grave with them. Now that I would love to investigate at some point." Grayson blinked as she introduced herself. He could have sworn they had been introduced before, but for the life of him couldn't remember an incident beyond the Sorting Feast. Shrugging, he extended a hand. "Grayson Powell. I teach History of Magic and Ancient Runes. I guess it's pretty obvious, though." He scratched the back of his head, feeling a bit sheepish.

OOC: And the history buff rears it's ugly head! XDDDDDD

Cara MiaKitty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe

Amata's eyes went wide when he mentioned the correlation between Grindlewald and the rise of Hitler. Now that was something she'd never really thought about. Her realm of interest tended to be a good bit further in the past than that. But it was certainly an intriguing thought... and yes, a disturbing one. "That would be rather interesting... although I haven't a clue where one would even start looking." When he appeared a bit sheepish after his introduction, she wondered as to the cause. Was he embarrassed that he'd gone on about history with her? If so, he had no reason to be. She'd enjoyed the conversation, found it very thought provoking, which was never a bad thing, to her mind at least. She smiled. "I suppose it would be, the way we've been going on. But I wouldn't call it a bad thing to be passionate about the subjects you teach. Quite the contrary, actually. If Professor Binns had been half as interesting a professor as I'm sure you are, I might not have gotten strange looks from my classmates for enjoying the lesson." As popular as she'd been with her fellow students, she'd also been a bit of an odd duck to them, enjoying the subjects they found dull, not being particularly interested in the ones they considered fun. Not that she'd had anything against wandwork or potions, but books had always been her preference. Perhaps she was strange; but then, that meant Professor Powell was as well.

Diamond_Wales

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:51 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread
I just wanna be laughed at, laughed with
Just because I wanna feel weightless
And that should be enough
But I'm stuck in this stupid rut
Waiting on a second hand pick me up

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott
- Muggleborn - Third Year - Hufflepuff -
[feeling: calm] [thinking: this looks interesting...] [with: no one] [at: Library]

Uriel liked the library, even if he'd fallen into a coma in it last year. He was petty sure that wouldn't happen again, and he needed some place to study and have some peace and quiet. He spread out all his homework and books all over the table, and then got up to look at some of the history books. Olde and Forgotten Bewitchments and Charms… Well, this certainly looked interesting. He groaned under the weight of the very heavy, thick book and thunked it down on the table. The twins would be horrified...

I don't wanna dream anymore.

Forks Anonymous

I'm over, getting older
Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year
And I'm so sick of watching
While the minutes pass and I go nowhere
And this is my reaction to everything I fear
'Cause I've been going crazy
I don't want to waste another minute here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm
User Image
CLAIRExx HALL
3ʀᴅ ʏᴇᴀʀxxxxʜᴜғғʟᴇᴘᴜғғ

ωᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ᴘʟᴀʏ ɪᴛ sᴀғᴇ, ᴏʀ ᴘʟᴀʏ ɪᴛ ᴄᴏᴏʟ________________________
________________________ƒơʅʅơɯ ƭɦє Ł£ΛƊ£Ŕ, σŗ ɱąҡε ųþ ąℓℓ ŧɧε ŔŪŁ£Ş,
ʷʰᵃᵗᵉᵛᵉʳ ʸᵒᵘ ʷᵃᶰᵗ, тнε cнσıcε ıƨ чσυяƨ,_________________________
____________________________sᴏ ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ

ttire: [x]
xxood: Studious
xxxxocation: Library - History Section
xxxxxxompanions: Uriel

It was about time Claire strapped herself to a table in the library and cracked open some books... after her less-than-stellar grades in her first and second year, the young blonde just couldn't bring herself to do poorly in any of her other classes. That being said, it didn't really help that she'd skipped a few of her classes on their first days - she just felt they weren't productive at all, that nothing would be learned anyways. She ducked into the History section when she entered the library - historically, this was one of the quieter parts of the library because... well... history was dull. Claire looked around shiftily, almost as if she were expecting Professor Powell to spontaneously appear from out of nowhere.

When the coast was clear though, Claire let out a sigh. She walked to the back of the section, expecting to find an empty table when a familiar boy's face came into view. "Oh~ Uriel?" Claire called out in hushed tones. "I didn't expect to see you here! Catching up on some studies, are we?" She smiled, setting her bag down and taking a seat at the table across from him. She tilted her head slightly when she noticed the boy's book. "Olde.. and forgotten.. bewitchment and charms? If they're old and forgotten, why would we want to know about them?" She asked, genuinely curious.

The Forgotten Weasley

Forks Anonymous

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott
[feeling: calm] [thinking: this looks interesting...] [with: Claire] [at: Library]

Uriel jumped a little at the sound of a girl's voice, hoping it wasn't Jess cone to bother him about homework help again. But no, it was Claire, which was a relief. "Er, yeah, kind of," he said, tearing his blue eyes away from the book to look at his friend and house mate. He flushed red a bit at her curious question. "I dunno. I think olde magic is kind of interesting. People have almost entirely forgotten about it, but it's really quite complex. I mean, some people must had to have come up with it right?" He stared at his feet for a moment before looking back at Claire. He was being more awkward than Eleazar, and that was saying something. "It's a huge part of our history. I was actually hoping to maybe find some olde healing magic..." he shrugged, "But so far, nothing of that sort. Maybe my mum would know...she's a healer. I want to be one after I graduate."

Forks Anonymous

I'm over, getting older

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 pm
User Image
CLAIRExx HALL
3ʀᴅ ʏᴇᴀʀxxxxʜᴜғғʟᴇᴘᴜғғ

xxood: Intrigued
xxxxocation: History Section

Claire smiled at the thought. Uriel did strike up a valid point, magic had to have originated from somewhere, these spells that they were practising must have had their roots in ancient magic... but history was a subject that Claire never could get into. It was so dry, a topic that Claire found it hard to wrap her mind around, not that any of the other classes really made that much sense to her either.

At the mention of his mother, Claire perked up. "A healer? Really?" She asked excitedly, beaming. "My mother is an accountant, though I was never really good with maths. I would love to become a healer, or a mediwizard even. I grew up wanting to treat animals... but I don't know if the creatures in the wizarding world..." She trailed off, thinking about the various types of beasts and creatures that roamed the lands, unseen by the muggles. "A healer sounds like a better job than a doctor. At least I wouldn't have to cut people open... I don't know if I would be able to handle something like that."

At that, Claire pulled her books out from her bag, setting them on the table - A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot; and Guide to the Heavens by Celeste Streyer. "I really hope I can get caught up with these classes, I can never seem to stay awake when I actually go to class, and it doesn't help that Astronomy is at night. How are your studies going, Uriel?"

The Forgotten Weasley

Forks Anonymous

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott
[feeling: calm] [thinking: this looks interesting...] [with: Claire] [at: Library]

Uriel nodded slowly, blushing a bit, though he wasn't quite sure why. Maybe it was because Claire was beaming so excitedly...it made him feel happy too, for some reason. "She works at St. Mungo's, on the Spell Damage floor." He shrugged at her saying she was never good with maths. "I only learned them up until when I was eleven; I didn't go to regular school- we were home schooled. Mum and Da said it would have been too risky to have us all in muggle school, especially my younger siblings, they're not so good at controlling their magic." He'd never minded being schooled by his mother and father, who took turns teaching them.

He laughed then. "My da's a doctor. He works at a muggle hospital in London, but I could never do what he does. I'm a little squeamish around blood and stuff too." The blonde boy watched as Claire pulled out her books. "I'm always about to doze off in Astronomy too, though I do like History of Magic," he muttered somewhat bashfully. "I mean, I like most classes, and I got pretty good grades last year." He glanced at A History of Magic. "If you do ever need help with History, you could ask me?" he suggested. "I'm good with dates and remembering all the stuff Professor Powell lectures about. Mostly 'cause I don't fall asleep in that class, though," he teased light-heartedly, poking the textbook.

Forks Anonymous

I'm over, getting older

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:46 am
User Image
CLAIRExx HALL
3ʀᴅ ʏᴇᴀʀxxxxʜᴜғғʟᴇᴘᴜғғ

xxood: Friendly
xxxxocation: Library

"I remember always wanting to learn about the stars when I was a child... but now, now that we have to take formal lessons on it, I seem to have lost interest entirely." She told Uriel as she slid her Astronomy book from one side of the table to the next. "I attended muggle school, both mum and dad were too busy working to homeschool any of us, but I didn't find it too bad. When my sister Rose first got her letter I was kind of dreading the thought of getting a letter too and then having to leave home and all of my friends, but I'm glad I was sorted into Hufflepuff, there's so many kind people here." She smiled to Uriel before picking her history book up and opening it to a certain chapter, titled 'Nicholas Flamel'.

"I just find it so hard to stay awake in his class, history has never interested me before, and I don't think it really wil since a lot of this has already happened.. like this Flamel person, I've heard stories about this person before, but what did he do exactly?" There was a slight undertone of frustration in her voice as she frantically flipped through her notebook in search of any possible indication that they had learned about him before. She knew from just general basic knowledge that Flamel was a wizard and an alchemist, and that alchemy was almost like muggle chemistry, but that was the extent of what she knew.

The Forgotten Weasley

Forks Anonymous

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott

Uriel smiled. "Honestly, I'm surprised my parents had the time to home school us at all. They're so busy now. I don't know how they manage teaching Eleazar, Vi, and Thea. I think they might hire a tutor once in a while, too." He adopted a covert, keep this between us, look. "Actually, I originally wanted to be in Gryffindor, like my mum. But I'm glad I was put in Hufflepuff now, anyways." He wasn't sure he'd be quite so comfortable in the house of lions. The blonde boy listened as Claire ranted about Nicholas Flamel, and was happy that he could answer that question. And maybe show off his knowledge. Just a bit. "Nicholas Flamel created the Philosopher's Stone. The one Voldemort tried to steal back in the nineties. Harry Potter and his friends had to stop him.The stone granted endless gold and immortal life." he informed her, pointing to the paragraphs detailing the stone and Flamel's life.

Forks Anonymous

I'm over, getting older

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:23 am
User Image
CLAIRExx HALL
3ʀᴅ ʏᴇᴀʀxxxxʜᴜғғʟᴇᴘᴜғғ

xxood: Attentive
xxxxocation: History Section

"Gryffindor?" Claire asked in hushed tones, picking up on his little gaze when he revealed the little secret. "Really?" Claire was a little surprised, but it seemed as of some little part in her understood where those feelings came from, both for her reasons and his. Though for Claire, it came down to the reputation. It was Gryffindor house anyways - it seemed to have some sort of reputation, or at least it used to, long ago in the days of Harry Potter. Many great Wizards and Witches hailed from that house, there was no denying that. "I'm a Puffie for life." Claire said, running her fingers along her black and yellow tie with a big grin, before chuckling softly.

At the brief introduction to Flamel, Claire felt herself frown a little. It made sense, but it just seemed... stupid. "The Philosopher Stone? I know, now, that magic and things like dragons and unicorns exist... but the Philosopher's stone?..." The tone of skepticism in her voice was strong, yet Claire read on, glad that Uriel was there to help. "... It just seems... I don't know, a little too out of the box for something like that, making gold and granting immortality? It's too good to be true, if you ask me."

The Forgotten Weasley

Forks Anonymous

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:26 pm
Manage me, I'm a mess
Turn a page, I'm a book
Half unread

User Image
Uriel Adair Scott

Uriel shrugged. "Yeah. It has the reputation, you know, the best house, the one the Golden Trio were in." He laughed quietly as she stated her lifelong allegiance to their house. "Me too."

He almost chuckled at her skepticism, and shook his head a little. "It is too good to be true. Who wants to live forever? Sounds like a waste of time to me." he joked. "Well, an infamous dark wizard tried to steal it so he could live forever, so it probably ended up bringing more harm than good. I mean, Flamel and his wife lived for 600 something years because of it. But they destroyed it in the end."

He looked thoughtful for a moment, glancing at her out of the corner of his eyes. Was her hair always this perfect? It fell coiled in ringlets to her shoulders and- Woah. Woah woah woah. What was he even thinking about? His cheeks were burning, he was convinced, and he quickly focused on the table. "Not everything magical is wise, necessarily. I mean, some people think that because we're wizards and witches, we're especially wise, but that's rubbish. Humans in general can be stupid. Like, really stupid." he muttered, and then smiled almost amused by his own grim tone. "Merlin, I'm a cynic, aren't I?"

Forks Anonymous

I'm over, getting older

The Library

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]