Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
History Section Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:02 am

User Image✶☁
DUANAIRE LIANE AINDRIAS-EVERA

fifth year || Gryffindor prefect || halfblood
Art Club mapmaker || Quidditch chaser and vice captain
irregular attendee of any club events

Aire’s daydreaming-doodling was interrupted by a knock and she jumped in her seat, hoping it wasn’t Madame Umber getting upset she’d accidentally made a fort again out of her study materials. (At least this time it was at a desk instead of on top of the bookshelf?)

”Uhh, sure.” she nodded, checking to make sure the book she was referencing for her drawing wasn’t A Guide to Medieval Sorcery. Unfortunately it was. She handed the book over with a shrug, deciding it was probably a good time to...maybe stop sketching and actually study.

The guest to Fort Aindrias was Lochi Bardsdale: a Ravenclaw her year. She recognized him mostly because she always got the impression he thought her overt pranks were hilarious. Sometimes he’d grin when she parkoured over a nearby wall. She remembered once pointing out to him how she had swapped all the quills around in some class, and he had seemed intrigued? He hadn’t tattled on her anyway.

Lochi also apparently carried around chocolate. Aire nibbled happily as she idly traced over a line of her sketch--just one last line before she started to work!-- and answered immediately with the first thing that came to mind: “Are there brown gemstones? I was thinking brown algae, but it doesn’t seem particularly flattering to compare someone’s eyes to algae. But like...clear, brown, really pretty brown….”

She trailed off with a blush on her face and her pencil slowed. “Uhh I mean... that the roof eave of Grimmauld Place doesn’t really match the surrounding roofs which means it or the surrounding townhouses were remodeled sometime.”

setting Some shelf in the corner of the library, early May 2054 || with Lochi Bardsdale
appearance 5'2", lithe || wearing khaki shirt with pants
status studying daydreaming and doodling

MJ Spooks

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Soon may the Wellerman come
To bring us sugar
And tea and rum
One day, when the tonguing' is done
We'll take our leave and go.
☁✶
~"The Wellerman" recorded by Neil Colquhoun. Cover by Malinda.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:18 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⇴ Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Library - History Section
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Aire from Gryffindor
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Studying... kinda
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Oooh gems!

Lochi felt a bit bad when he realized that Aire had been using that very book to copy out doodles. She seemed okay sharing though, but he figured that may be his chocolatey bribe. After asking which gemstones were brown to compare someone's eyes to, he lit up. Did she know he came from a line of jewelers, or was this sheer luck? He grabbed a book from his bag and flipped through the well-worn pages to one showing some examples of brown gemstones. "Here's a basic list. And it's got pictures of each of them. Plus there's more info about all the gems, including hardness, rarity, and typical coloration. I would probably say zircon for a lighter brown, enstatite for medium, and the smoky quartz for a darker brown. There's also precious stones that aren't technically gems in the list, like tiger's eye and moonstone." He grinned, nibbling on his own chocolate bar. He really loved talking about gems and stones.

She also mentioned the roof eaves of the famed Grimmauld Place not matching the surroundings, indicating a remodel. "I suppose that's true. It looks like it updated perhaps in the industrial age, but I'm not as good at architecture as you seem to be. I mean, I couldn't ever skip-hop up the stairs or anything. I think it's mighty neat you can. At first I thought maybe it was a magical skill I just didn't know, then I realized you're just real good at skip-hopping about. And climbing and stuff. I don't think I could ever." He sent over a grin, hoping to befriend the mysterious and exciting Aire.

addaellis

Yᴏᴜ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ᴍʏ ғᴀᴠᴏʀɪᴛᴇ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ,
Yᴏᴜ ᴄᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴀ ɢʟɪᴍᴘsᴇ ᴏғ ɢᴏʟᴅ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ sᴋɪɴs.
I ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴏɴ ᴀɪʀ ᴡʜᴇɴᴇᴠᴇʀ I'ᴍ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇᴍ,
Tʜᴇʏ'ʀᴇ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇss ʙᴇɢɪɴs.
Aɴᴅ I'ᴍ ᴀʟʀɪɢʜᴛ ᴏɴ ᴍʏ ᴏᴡɴ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇᴍ I'ᴍ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ
Tʜᴇʏ'ʀᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴅɪᴀᴍᴏɴᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪᴀᴍᴏɴᴅs ᴀʀᴇ ғᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ.

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:17 pm

User Image✶☁

Aire hadn’t expected Lochi to know an actual gemstone--much less pull out a book! She took the proffered book--did he normally walk around with a gemstone guide or was that just luck?--, and began examining the pictures.

”Tourmaline is pretty,” she said, scrutinizing the pictures. ”I didn’t know diamonds could be brown. Wasn’t that a song?” She flipped her sketchbook to a fresh page and jotted down these gem names and random thoughts--

Diamonds are forever
But can we even be together?
Smoky quartz, tigers eye
A blush, a scowl, a sigh
Eyes of tourmaline….”

Aire wasn’t quite sure how to finish, but it was fine, since Lochi was now pointing out some things about the Grimmauld Place remodel and saying she knew about architecture. Did she? ”I-I don’t know, I just draw things,” she murmured, trying to remember something else about the industrial age besides...what the building looked like. Industrial meant….factories right?

”And jump over them,” she agreed with a grin when Lochi said he thought it was mighty neat how she skip-hopped the stairs and stuff. ”It’s not that hard! It’s a mental game really. You have to just go for it without a doubt. ...If you’d like, there’s a perfect spot by Sir Cadogan’s painting to practice wall-jumping, but you have to be careful not to let him catch you.”

setting Some shelf in the corner of the library, early May 2054 || with Lochi Bardsdale
status This is much better than studying

To bring us sugar
And tea and rum
☁✶

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:17 pm
User ImageUser Image

Lochi nodded along to Aire's questioning of diamonds. "They come in a whole bunch of colors! And shapes and sizes. Though for clarity of colors, sapphire is your best bet. There's a whole chapter in that book comparing the two on color spectrums. It's fascinating. Then again, in several cases, it's hard to tell the difference without one of these." He grabbed his jewelry microscope and handed it over to Aire. If she was curious, he probably had a few gems scattered about, if not in his book bag, then his trunk for sure. He had to make sure and practice in his free time, so he wouldn't be too far behind when he went back to work. He grinned as Aire sang a song, though he couldn't say he knew the artist.

When the topic changed to architecture, she mentioned not knowing for sure, but that she just drew things. "Based on your doodle. Maybe an imitation gothic style? I like the math behind architecture, but I'm not very good at remembering the styles. I know gems, metals, and maths. Otherwise, well." He flipped through the history book, hoping it would be able to help strengthen the areas he was lacking in. He was pretty good with History, but that didn't mean he couldn't practice!

Aire mentioned strategies for her skip-hopping, and said there was a perfect spot nest to Sir Cadogan's painting, so long as he didn't catch them. "Sir Cadogan? Is he the knight painting up on the seventh floor? Or... um... the one painting of the guy with the real fluffy hair on the third floor? Either way, we could probably set up a distraction. That way you can practice. And maybe I can practice my maths, since maths are really helpful in doing movements like that. Maybe we can figure out some new jumps?" He grinned, grabbing a notebook and scribbling down part of an equation for one of the jumps he'd seen her do a few times.

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:33 pm

User Image✶☁

Did she just...stumble upon the school’s biggest shiny rock nerd? See, things like this were why Aire couldn’t not believe in gods and magical forces beyond what they learned in class. Of all people in the school to bump into! She took the microscope and book confusedly, not sure what to do with the contraption. "Do you just...carry diamonds in your pocket?" That was a perfect crime prank just waiting to happen!

”The...math behind architecture?” Sure Aireknew something about how there was lots of numbers behind buildings, but she hadn’t really figured it out yet. ”Math is...clear,” Aire agreed. Math didn’t change that much. She would rather run around planning her next prank, but she didn’t dislike math. (Arithmancy made more sense than Divination anyhow.)

”The one on the seventh floor,” Aire confirmed. ”Sir Whinygan--err, Cadogan.” Lochi then volunteered to help calculate movements to help her do new jump movements. ”Wait, really? I’ve been struggling to do this one by...I think it’s the Ravenclaw tower anyways.”

She sketched a corner of what was indeed Ravenclaw tower and the surrounding battlements, detailing how she had been planning to climb the tower. She was about to explain the details of the proposed jump and how she couldn't quite get enough height when she remembered she only had a few hours before detention. Probably not tonight, especially if she planned to get any studying done. Oh yeah, studying!

status Please don't ask why I'm trying to climb Ravenclaw Tower this way.

To bring us sugar
And tea and rum
☁✶

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:05 pm
User ImageUser Image

Lochi nodded a little bit at Aire's question. "Not usually. I have some smaller, lower value ones in my bag to practice on clarities and stuff. They were all in a box, but at some point it opened. I'm not sure if I got them all back in the box or not. Eventually I'll have to clean up, but that probably won't be until I get back home. It's almost exam time, so I'm a little distracted." He grabbed a small box and handed it over, knowing there were a handful of gems of all colors, shapes, and sizes she could look at.

As they were talking about architecture, Lochi offered a chuckle. "Yep! There's lots of math behind buildings and stuff. I mean, just to build something small, like our family's cat house, took a lot of math to build." He rooted through his notebook to find a picture of him and his brother in front of a cute little house with their very old cat and the young kitten they'd taken in around the same time.

As Aire explained the painting location, along with the spot she was actually having trouble with. She drew up the spot she was struggling to jump, and he immediately knew right where it was. "Well, you're right, it is the one beside the Ravenclaw Commons entrance. I don't know if I'm supposed to divulge that information or not, though. But I'm sure we can help figure out how to make that jump. I'm probably not supposed to help with that either, 'cause it's probably not super safe, but hey! I can help you make sure you don't fall. Both with math, and also with magic. I can make sure that even if you do fall, I have time to save you!" He grinned, taking Aire's drawing and adding some math figures. Lochi really liked math, and the angles and things involved would make this whole shebang more interesting. Together they could probably come up with something cool.

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 pm

User Image✶☁

Aire held up one of the gems Lochi pulled out and squinted at it. Yeah, he really did just carry around a bunch of gems. She momentarily remembered that gems were worth money. She wondered how much money he just had...dusting the bottom of his bag. ”Hey can I borrow some of these? This uh...sapphire” she asked, holding up what was definitely not a sapphire. Her brain was whirling with possibilities: A pile of knuts (or maybe just nuts), a few transfiguration spells, and she was sure she could give someone a surprise. ”Just for reference. Like this. Transfiguro.” She pointed her wand at her eraser, turning it into a rough approximation of a...brown looking stone. It wasn’t very good, but that was because she still had to study this gem. And gem book. She’d have to try her experiments on Lochi himself first.

Lochi mentioned exams but then he got back to talking about architecture instead of whatever subject he meant to. History probably, given the book. Oh well! That’s what detention was for right? Studying?

”Oh yeah, because different angles and materials can support different weights,” Aire nodded, grinning with a surprised expression when Lochi explained. She understood the rough principle, but hadn’t figured out that kind of math. Had he? ”But also just building things, you want them to be even and fit together well.”

She took his picture of the cat house with its older and younger residents. ”I didn’t know you had a cat. Or a brother,” she noted. He looked quite a few years younger. ”How old’s your brother?”

Lochi confirmed that she had the right tower at least, and wondered if he ought to be telling her whether he should be telling her those things. He seemed to be concerned about her safety during these and she tried to reassure him with a carefree ”Oh it’s okay, it’s not that much of a gap. I just can’t get enough height,” she started before remembering she had a learned a better way of allaying people’s fears: ”I mean, Don’t worry, I keep my broom nearby whenever I’m practicing outside,”

There that should be okay. She sketched out a few other details, explaining her intended path. ”My original plan was to approach from this side, but I can’t get enough height to stick the landing on the ledge. There are better ledges on the other side, but nowhere to get to them of course.”

status Please don't ask why I'm trying to climb Ravenclaw Tower this way.

To bring us sugar
And tea and rum
☁✶

The Library

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff