Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Library
Study Area Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Porcelaine Ivory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Study Area

This is the main study area. Here you will find dozens of long, wooden desks dedicated to helping students learn. Come here to work on projects with friends, do research for your Potions assignment, or simply catch up with some leisurely reading. Please be respectful and keep in mind that this is a library. The study area is within sight and earshot of the librarian, so be aware that misconduct will result in a loss of house points, detention, or both. Otherwise, settle in and make yourself comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:25 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Alther McKellan

Library Ghost
╚══════════════╝

My name is Alther Bartholomew Tiberius Sean McKellan
but you may call me Alther.

Former Ravenclaw

The old Library ghost, Alther McKellan, drifted out of the ceiling and began to circle the library, passing over students who were studying and pleasure reading. He silently observed everyone to make sure that everything was going swimmingly, then drifted around through the stacks, making a few forays back into the main study.

Out Of Character: ...

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Pale Mist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:45 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬
“In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.”
– Desiderius Erasmus
“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle’s own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
– Aesop
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
– Socrates
“If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t.”
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

Phi's arms were filled with the heavy tomes of reading. They perched on her arms like knowledge-heavy birds as she made her way in attempted slowness and stillness towards a large, lamp-light table in the Study Area. The first week of classes had already run its course and it would have been stupendous if not for the new Transfiguration Professor and the Ravenclaw's own mishap with her magic. It seemed that regardless of how many times her spectating friends and she herself told her from memory the inexplicable malfunction of spells had not been her doing, someone she could not accepted.
In retrospect, it didn't even seem that that burden was unshakable. Something else was clinging to her with strength and something that felt like desperation - it almost felt like a suspicion.
However, the redhead shook her head physically in mental hopes of stirring the heavy laying thoughts into action and turn her focus towards the intention of her visit to the lavish library. Other than visiting her favourite place in the otherwise still spectacular and breathtaking castle, she had a mission in mind. In the very centre of her stack of school texts and personal literature sat the stole Nott Family History. It was enlarged to its true size and title and cover once more since the Hogwarts' magical barrier had dissolved the previously cast charm attended to by Phi's Magical Guardian. Approaching the closest table to the bookshelves, she placed her mountain with a gasp of physical relief when their weight transferred from her small arms to the table top. Seating herself, she opened the large family text behind an assembled wall of the other texts and quickly flipped to a memorized page. As the Ravenclaw had read the book more than any combined number of other books, every words and every picture was easily visualized. She almost felt certain she could rewrite it to the very punctuation.
The page flipped and laid itself neatly right in front of her. On it, the name of Alfons Flint stared back at her almost as if it was bolded and burning. Every so often, the man's name appeared in the occasional paragraph or distant description. This page, however, seemed the largest mass of compiled information of him in the entirety of the tome. However minimal it truly was. Other than learning of the man's vague connection to the grand Nott family and his position as Head Potioneer (which had both surprised and impressed Phi on first read-through) there was nothing personal and nothing she really needed to learn.
Not that the redhead knew at all what she wanted from the man. It seemed she just thirsted to know. With no limits and all accounts.

Closing the book again and taking it under her arm covered by another, she took to scowering the bookshelves lining the Study Area. Looking for Biographies, accounts and whatever possible book that could lead her to seeing the same face that shone ever so often from her Chocolate Card.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 am
User Image

With every turning page, the faithful guardian padded along, crossing the bridge from page to page as he followed Phinelia in her search, glittering eyes of gold watching, seeing, knowing what can’t be known. The Bullmastiff never wavered, and always, held himself in a different stance at every turning page, as if the secrets rested there with him. The book held information lost over time, decreed the trials of its every member, and how, so many of them, got away. Money had never been an issue, it seemed. The Nott’s had more of a hold on the wizarding world than one could ever assume, branches woven into the ministry, stock holds and shares grew, and they even owned a decent chunk of the London railroad system, though when the pages turned to people, every detail resided there, from family history, to internal ailments, caustic diseases, and rivaling children. But Alfons Flint was different; he and Remington lacked the details that every other had. There was no hint of children born under the name Flint, no hint of a marriage or wife, despite what Tay had said, it couldn’t be found. There wasn’t a single detail to depict the estranged wife of the potioneer, it was as if she had never existed. Or worse, kept secret.

”You will not find what you seek in these texts, Phinelia.” The sound, the voice, it came from everywhere, and nowhere at all. But upon closer inspection, the robust head of the English Bullmastiff turned to meet her head on. Eyes deadlocked into hers. ”My master saw to it to that over a hundred years ago.”

“And yet you keep searching.”
Never once had the canine ever proved any worth other than to set his vigil eyes upon her. And, despite any incantation, enchanment, or ruse, the mastiff had never spoken before.  

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Pale Mist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
– Desiderius Erasmus
“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle’s own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
– Aesop
– Socrates
“If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t.”
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

As her small fingers were beginning to stroke the spines of the shelved books, clear goal moving them quickly across the different titles, textures and promises of further understanding on subjects of no interest to her, the voice from inside the tome whispered. Phi jumped, completely stricken by the sudden show of other existence besides her own she was not aware of. Her eyes and head whipped back and forth in search of the body-less voice before she gave the words that had surprised her much voice. Pigtails of vivid red hit her face with the fearful vigor at which she attempted to find the other before her mind caught up to her racing senses and actions and realized with point there was a direction to the speech. Glancing down, it was more than evident the rumbling voice directed with sudden old words was coming from the text which she held in her stolen possession. It was almost as though a lingering light and coldness surrounded the book now at the fading words. Phi's eyes widened as her body froze but her curiosity reached out. Sitting herself down right on the floor on which she stood, she opened the large, ancient text once more to see the companion which had always been present on every page with every passing time she had read. It had never spoken however.
Her finger instinctively reached out the touch the dog which always seemed to both be guarding the knowledge as well as giving it, but retracted. An unmarked fear afraid she may keep it from speaking again or insult or hurt it.
Or erase the only companion she had had since the very beginning of the journey the text had taken her on.
"Do you remember?" the question rose to her ears without her even realizing her lips had greeted it and her voice had produced it. The deathly quiet whisper was almost too faint for even her to hear.
"You would remember, wouldn't you, if there was something to remember." the question faded with its last word and it almost seemed like a spoken thought rather than a question for the guarding dog she could not hope to explain the existence of. The questions were now rolling like waves and building in strength, magnitude and sheer element as Phi held her breath to hear the voice of the Guardian once more.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 pm
Quidditch is my life, but my knowledge is who I am.
User Image

Devin Cloud

Second YearHufflepuffChaser

⇳ ⇴ ⇵ ⇶ ⇷ ⇸ ⇹ ⇺ ⇻ ⇼ ⇽ ⇾ ⇿

Devin walked into the library, intending to do some studying for his Transfiguration class, but when he came in, he saw his red-headed friend Phinelia reading. But...his eyes may have been decieving him however...she seemed to be talking to the book. He knew Phinelia may of had some weird attributes about her, much like everybody else at Hogwarts, but that is just a little bit too weird. Although, she was known for really getting into the books that she read. Maybe this was some sort of technique she employed to help her remember the events of the text. But...it seemed as if she was having a conversation with it...not reciting the usual dialogue that filled most novels. He chuckled to himself and went over to her, hoping he would be able to pull her attention away from her book. He pulled a chair out and sat down across from her, a smile on his face.

"Hey Phinelia: what are you doing?" he said, waiting for her to acknowledge him. He saw as her eyes switched focus from her book to him. He smiled at her with a genuine one, probably making her realize that he was in quite the good mood that day. He hoped it did anyway. The red-headed Ravenclaw seemed liked she was tense however. It looked like she was searching for something, something that would ease her. He would help her if she asked, as long as he knew what he was looking for.

Some are born great, some achieve great, but some...have greatness thrust upon them.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Alther McKellan

Library Ghost
╚══════════════╝

Former Ravenclaw

The old ghost heard talking coming from one of the stacks in the library and floated towards the sound of the voice. He saw the fiery haired young girl from his old house being approached by a dandelion haired boy sporting the yellow and black. Hushed as a ghost could be, Alther slipped into the stack of books to listen to their conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
– Desiderius Erasmus
– Aesop
– Socrates
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

The sudden call of a voice initiating her name made her jump than was natural - she was very near lifting off of the ground from her sitting position from the harsh flinch and shock the sudden sound gave her. Gazing up, both protectively and instinctively with some range of fear, she saw the source of the voice to be Devin Cloud.
"Oh," she retorted meekly, feeling rather foolish with such a simple and incapable answer. Rising slightly and working her hands to hide the book and close it inconspicuously, she replaced it in the centre of her pile and blinked up at the younger boy once more. "Reading," she answered finally, however feeling foolish even more so as it was terribly obvious as well unnecessary to state, "just looking at old witches and wizards. Curious." she finally added.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

Pale Mist

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm
User Image

Devin Cloud

Devin chuckled at her simple answer, for he obviously knew that she was reading. He watched as she moved one of her books behind her suspiciously. She was up to something, but Devin didn't really want to know what it was. She was his friend, but she had a tendency of finding trouble. She was never the one that started the trouble either. IT was always towards her, like she was some sort of danger magnet. The thought of her being a disaster magnet made him laugh though.

"Which old warlocks and witches are you trying to find out about? I mean, I could offer my services to help you find what you need if you would like," he offered to the girl. He wondered what she was up too now. He didn't know why he wanted to know now, but it was probably because there was something fishy going on. A lot of people are starting to act weird, like William Nott, or even Zane Acacia. They are both different than the last years that they were here. Sure, William is still his devious little self, but this year showed more malice than last, as if he had no control.

Some are born great, some achieve great, but some...have greatness thrust upon them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:10 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
– Desiderius Erasmus
– Aesop
– Socrates
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

Her throat made an unrecognisable sound of both hesitation and exertment to pass the awkwardness still stifling her from the initial surprise. However, her voice quickly strengthened and managed to answer his question. "Ones that have made significant discoveries to magic," her voice quivering slightly with both the imbalance of new hormones as well as the shaken attempts at hiding her previous actions.
"I am trying to find a spell, I guess you could say..." she trailed off, words stronger and returning to her normal meek tones that always seemed to be filled with a curiosity for life as well as logical interest. No lies riding on the tones: neither covered nor existing. Phi had found a way to divert the situation into one where the boy may help her in the greatest thing she needed help with.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

Pale Mist

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 pm
User Image

Devin Cloud

After a brief moment of hesitation, as if she was going to have to force out what she was about to say, she answered his question. However, the answer was vague, an answer that he could not narrow down. He wondered why she was doing this, but it was probably because of some hidden reason that he probably should not get into; however, he was quite curious. He wouldn't press the conversation forward blatantly. He would more work his way around until he found an opening that he could build off of. So, for now, he would just offer his services, in hope of her telling him the real reason, but he didn't know how comfortable she was with him; so it may take awhile. He commented back when she spoke of a spell and having to find it.

"So, would you like my help?" he asked her, hoping she would give him something to do. He was quite bored and needed something to occupy his free time, and this was just that. He looked at her, a smile on his face, hoping to make her more comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:40 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
– Desiderius Erasmus
– Aesop
– Socrates
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

She blinked at the proposition, eyes asking whether he could help.
"I am not sure, Devin..." voice trailing the the memory of the countless texts she had sought answers from, numerous people and source. Even the Deputy Headmaster of the school could not have offered her a real answer when she asked the posing burden in her first year. If the spell, potion or solution existed to the problem she needed solving, it was hiding very well.
"I have looked quite a bit. I am almost afraid the only people who may know what I need are ghosts."

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

Pale Mist

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:36 pm
User Image

Devin Cloud

"Well, let us start with this, tell me what exactly you are doing; and we will see what I have to offer you," he told her, motioning for her to go on. He hoped that she had enough trust and respect for him to tell him what was on her mind. He could be trusted, and that was the truth, but he didn't know how comfortable she was with him. They were friends, but they weren't as close as say, Colton or Ronyo, but he could be trusted just as much if Phinelia just got past that miniscule personal bubble of hers. She was extremely introverted and he knew that, which is why he needed to find, or pick his way around her barriers. He knew that he could do it, but how long it would take, he did not know. Although, he did have quite a long time, speaking that the free period had just started.

"I promise you, I will help you to the best of my ability...You can trust me," he finally said after a brief second. He wanted her to know that he was one to be confided in, one that could help...one that could help her. He felt oddly closer to her every passing minute they spent together. He had no 'feelings' for her, but they were more of pure friendship. She was definitely someone he could trust...maybe not with his life...but someone he could confide small secrets in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 pm
User Image
╔══════════════╗
Alther McKellan

Library Ghost
╚══════════════╝

Former Ravenclaw

"Ghosts, you say," Alther said, floating out of the bookcase he was hiding in. Hovering just over the children he swooped down to step on the ground between them. "I am Alther Bart... well, you can call me Alther. I have been away on safari and only recently am I returned. I am the Library ghost. And I am at your service." The lanky ghost in the brilliant purple robes bowed to them.

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Pale Mist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
thrid year - ravenclaw
hermes
– Desiderius Erasmus
– Aesop
– Socrates
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

Her mouth opened with a ready suggestion, as well as a masked truth for Devin as a sudden voice greeted their company. She jumped lightly in surprise as she turned to see an elderly figure appear from the very inside of the bookcase. Phi was quick to realize past the shock that it was a ghost. The surprise did not fade away however, as experiences with the ghosts of Hogwarts were minimal, and an entire life outside of the realm of magic (much less ghosts) always left a feeling of awe and instinctive caution to things unknown such as this.
However, a smile spread instantly on her face as she greeted the apparition herself, "Phinelia von Ichval, and -" she turned and gestured to Devin meekly, "Devin Cloud. It is a pleasure Mr Bart."
Outstretching her hand in offered handshake, she jumped in realization of how impossible the physical action was for the man. Throwing her hand down to her side, she instead bowed and smiled with light embarrassed at the foolish gesture.
The ghost's presence meant an incredible amount for the possibilities of her unanswered questions. Not only hose that continuously nudged her thoughts into action where she was - those the ghost had overheard her speaking to Devin about - but also those of a whole. Questions and needs of her and her friends and their planned alliance. This ghost, even if it had possible answers to both dilemmas, Phi's instinct knew which was more important at present.
Yet, those questions were foreign and incapable of being placed in present company Devin's presence meant she could not seek the ghost's help without inviting Devin in as well, and Phi did not feel right with that decision. Not yet, any way.
"Mr. Bart, if it not too much trouble, what do you know about uncommon magic or spells? Or, if you know of anyone who would be a better source?"

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

The Library

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 31 32 33 34 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas