Dungeons and Dragon Style Roleplay Idea

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 pm
This'll have a story of course, but I've never actually really been a dungeon master so I may give it to someone more knowledged (That or they can teach me the basics.)

I'm still rather conflicted if I should perform a roll system (Roll a random number for an outcome 1-20.) or just make it a simple roleplay with a DnD feeling. (6 players traveling together up against challenges , going on 'A Quest.')

It would be more of a comedy, adventure time with subtle romance and drama. I'd want it be just as funny as it is emotional (Like futurama, halarious with it's moments.)

Characters
Knight -Tank
Archer- Range DPS
Mage - Magic
Rouge- DPS

Taken- - - -

Bard- Heals
Bard- Support

I actually do have a basic story for each character also, how they are entertwined to come against one foe though when making the character you can morph your own legend as long as it isn't way out there or anything. (A demon is pretty much what I'm going for.) A sort of legend for each character.

Anyone wanna be apart , feel free to ask questions and throw in ideas  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 am
A good start. A fantasy adventure dromedy(drama/comedy) is certainly a popular genre.
As far as rolls go, they can be used for random event generation, or for a fair and balanced combat/action system. I suppose it adds boundaries to what people can do, while not having one can give people too much freedom.

You will not need rolls to generate random events (*gets 6 pairs of 6 and finds a basket of puppies*) unless you make up a whole number of different situations that could take place, and you need dice to decide which happens when.
If you have a solid idea, plot, sub plots, of your own you can make them happen as you see fit, when you see fit, for each character. So no rolls there.

As far as combat goes, dice rolls can help determine how well you strike, defend and act in general. People like to think they're top notch in a fight no matter what their character, and insist on not taking a hit, or the bare minimum. It's just common, even when we make rules against going too far with that.
A dice roll will make sure no one goes overboard *slashes everything everywhere to nothingness* or avoids all hits *is impenetrable and pulls trollface*.

Low rolls = bad dodges, falling over, getting noticed when sneaking, stabbing yourself by accident, and general silliness
High rolls = *sings* "I'm iiin the moneeyyy", overall success and, well, not stabbing yourself, but hopefully the other guy.

You would have to roll, as the host, for NPC enemies to include a challenge as well. People LOVE to kill NPCs. NPCs, no matter what or who, die without consequence absolutely everywhere in a whole variety of ways. It's almost an art form. So put a limit on that.
A balanced combat system that does not favor the heroes or the enemies too much sounds pretty good.

For tips on actually doing this... Go to Gaia forums and see RP help sections, wherever they may be. Try to find guidelines for DnD RPs. I'd give you more DnD related help but I haven't participated in nearly enough of those.
Frankly I'm not sure we have many people who do these kinds of RPs regularly in Why Not?, though I'm sure you'd appreciate any guild member giving you tips.
That might also mean that your DnD RP will not succeed here, if people don't like that sorta thing, but I think it's just a matter of giving people this new idea. It just hasn't caught on, who knows maybe you'll start a new trend.

Also, I'd totally be Mage. Joining really depends on how you execute the Setting and Plot for the story. If it sounds cool, people will flock over.  

N K Cake

Conservative Poster

5,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

RosesOfDeathYetFullOfLife

IRL Gaian

7,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:35 am
I'm total rogue but my experience in DnD lack so I'd have to ask a ton of questions.  
CaptainXXMorgan generated a random number between 1 and 10 ... 3!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 am
Well first I'm going to put down the basic Lore of each character, just in attempts to win favor.

Lore of the Brave

In the land of Jule has been flucuations of poverty to prosperity, it's ups and downs. A land with it's normal economic and environmental problems, and ruled by the average generous King. Hard times soon came, worse than many could imagine. An opposing force that sent it's dark magic across the land, the demon wanted every last soul to be his. The King was distraught at what to do, to a foe that was hardly seen. The land was to be cursed by this demon. When all hope felt lost, four strangers approached his kingdom.

. . .

With hope in the heart of the king, he sent fourth his loyal champion with these strangers to locate and stop this demon.

Lore of The Stolen

A wizard of Jule, famous no doubt, but secluded within the land. After his life of studies the desire of his knowledge caused him to reserve himself within the land of Jule into a quite home of life. The demon came fourth and challenged him, taking the very essence of his soul and bound it into a stone that the demon would wear on his leather belt as a sense of fashion, though it gave him great power as well. The wizard fell, but not all hope was lost.

After the rouge stole him away they ran and hid into the forest where the Lore of Revenge awaited with no knowledge. The demon sought revenge against the theif, and fire rushed across the land to consume everything in it's path. Even contained within stone, the wizard had it's magic contained within. With last though, the Lore of Revenge took the stone of the wizard and tied it to the end of his bow. He short for into the fire to strike the demon, a physical and magical attack in one it struck. It was unkown where, but the demon retreated in the midst of the fire as the fire vanished as quickly as the demon did. When the Prevailed came to see the damage and share they're knowledge, they sought to find the Wizard's body and return his soul. After, they all traveled to the castle to report their knowledge to the King.

Lore of The Stealer

He was your typical thief, did just about whatever for money with his own morals. He traveled outside of the Land of Jule unlike most, but in the end the Land of Jule was his home.(Even if he did steal from everyone in there.) he was a pretty decent thief. In his absence, he returned with no knowledge of the demon or the horror spreading over the land. He was on one of his nights as he traveled to the edge of the land to find a cave with fire. He approached to inspect and saw a belt with three precious gems on it. He obtained one, but after his touch he heard the roar of a beast that frightened him like no other. Seeing the eyes of the beast, he fled with success with the stone into the forest. It wasn't long until he found the stone speaking to him and explaing his story, the thief was in shock though his priority was saftey. Depressed because he wouldn't and probably couldn't sell the stone. In the battle of fire among two strangers (Revenge and Stolen.) he joined up with them to stop this demon and with hopes of the creature having riches beyond mortals dreams.

Lore of Revenge

A man of the forest, he lived among his people who survived on nature and worked within the Land of Jule to provide many natural goods. They were very expertised in hunters and the way of balance. This man was like many of his hunters, but the day the demon struck the land he stood out among many others. Fire, fire walked across the forest to selfishly consume all in it's path. In the midst of the chaos, the man looked towards the stone that spoke to him, and struck with an idea. He grabbed the stone and tied him to the end of his arrow, looking into the fire as he desperatly searched for the demon. With one shot, he struck right and it all vanished. The damage was done though. Anger boiled within him at his great loss.

The Prevailed

A Nomad he was, he traveled with his lute and played where he pleased. He held no true home, but did visit the Land of Jule often. On his travel he came across a man who held darkness around him. The was on the path just like the Nomad. He was given a bet, to humor the beast no less. The Nomad was worried, confounded by this evil that he felt stood before him. He was requested to play or his soul would be eaten. The Nomad did so, and played like no mugician before and the beast was stunned. The magic that flowed from this Nomad was powerful, but the beast turned from him and fled into the forest. With curiousity, the Nomad followed.

Read****

In their long journey to the lair of the beast, they fought like true warriors to save the land. In the end the beast was slain, but with a last trick of spell it all touched their soul. Re-carnated once more, they would repeat this journey until the end of time. The demon would return.

And basically that's the legend, the plot of 'now' will go if I make this story of course. I'm still thinking of it at the moment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -

Now for combat wise, I figure when actually given an NPC challenge boss (if it's 1v6 as there will be that in the future.) I will require people to roll a number 1-10 for evertime they're character throw an attack or series of attacks. I will role for the NPC also and I will decide how well the attacks go compared to the NPC's blocks and dodges. Of course this won't be for every NPC encountered, just certain ones in which I will tell people in OOC when they should role. I will allow others to control NPC's for themselves or others if they want to (And if they want to do their own rolling which is fine I don't mind.) For combat , say a bunch of ninja's pop out then by all means go to town.

Does this sound a bit fair, cause if not then we don't have to roll. If I need to I can just GodMod for certain NPC's so they aren't defeated so easily. But it would be more of a comedy if people's characters made a mistake or two .(Because they had a bad role or something of the sort.) Either way it seems I'm fine with it, I wasn't going to go full on DnD (Stats and such, too much math.)

Boyfriend plays DnD so I'd just ask him any questions about it naturally and we sometimes go random 1x1 rounds of silly DnD.  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

N K Cake

Conservative Poster

5,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 am
That's pretty good. There are only a few text errors to navigate through in there, but it makes sense.
Just when referring to the characters, only state if they're he or she if it's definite. If you allow people to be male/female on any character then maybe you shouldn't refer to them as anything specific. No big deal though.

That system is fine for the rolls. If you don't want to do rolls for even the boss fights, then it's up to you to RP then as something hard. It's not a big deal for the RPers I figure.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 am
I figure I might as well like the others vote on it when the roleplay is made.

As for gender roles, in the legends they were all male. Techinically in the story they are re-incarnated from these legends, so gender wise it won't matter. This isn't focused on romance so I'm not really looking for equality in gender, but I might just make it that to keep it so.

And yeah, I know it's all sloppy XD Just a rough draft, I'll straighten it out in the final draft. Thankyou N-Kun, I'll probably go and make the roleplay within some time. Atleast I'll get started on it, not sure when It'll be ready.  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

DM Draco Moondragon

6,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 am
This would be right up my alley, but I play D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder on a semi-regular basis, now. I'm not experienced enough to DM, but if I have the basic character creation guidelines, I'd be good to go.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am
Ah thats good. Rather than romance its just about what gender people prefer to RP, important to have both available.

We'll be looking forward to the finished product! Glad to have been part of this process.

Take care~  

N K Cake

Conservative Poster

5,700 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

IRL Gaian

7,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm
Awesome, I love it!

I'll either be rogue or playful bard, I'm usually rogue though. The dark assassin is just my thing, and I'm usually halfling when playing it too

Speaking of which, what are the races?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm
There are races, basic types though. No Angels or Demons, and I kind of want to sway from dragon kin because people tend to get a little power crazy with that race. Stuff like Humans,Elves,Drows,Fae,Dwarves,Gnomes, ect.

And I took up the bard position myself actually, I can allow another person to play the male twin of the bard if they want though XD It would allow for another person to join in on the roleplay. Twin wise it'll be explained in the making, people can alter their characters how they wish (Though I'd like to keep it just six main characters if possible.) Creativity is encouraged.  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

IRL Gaian

7,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm
*perks up* Twins? heart

Uhm I think I'll go Rogue, let the twin position open to someone else interested in bard ^^'

And awesome~ Can't wait  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:22 pm
I've written down the tedious stuff.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=22685121&login_success=1330057243

This is the roleplay, unfinished at the moment. Rather if anyone wants I'd appreciate if someone else would read over it and give feedback. I still have to make character list along with story in a nut shell. And the profile codes, as well as a voting poll.  

CaptainXXMorgan

Perfect Waffles

"RPC" *Roleplay Central*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces