Reply Community Lounge
Sobering, Unasked-For, Food Service Advice

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 pm
My general manager at the Smashburger I work at told me this story about his career into restaurant management:

My Manager, Summarized
I went to school for hospitality and food service management, and when I entered, a good friend of mine, who was also the head of the hospitality management department at the time, told me this: "I know who you are, and what you do, and you know the facts of this 'profession': long hours each day, the degradation of your social life, the fact that a significant portion become alcoholics by they time they reach 40 years of age; why in the hell do you want to enter this profession?"

I'm pretty sure he said it as a way to connect and such, but it almost sounded like a warning to me, though I'm not quite sure why such a warning was warranted.

I've been, in all accounts, the model employee of my restaurant, both as a manager-on-duty whenever I needed to take the mantle--and even when I didn't--and as a server or a kitchen worker. I followed chain of command, I conversed and made sure to treat my subordinates as friends and as team members to make a restaurant great. When mistakes are made and when s**t hits the fan, I put myself where I need to be to pull the entire team through. Customers comment on my customer service, and always love the small little attentions to detail I put in their orders like cutting their burgers for them in the kitchen, splitting drinks, accommodating for allergies or other desires. Much of what I know was self-taught, with tons of mistakes, and many questions, and many re-readings of operation manuals and recipe books. In addition, my employees respect me not just as a manager on duty, but also as a person who actually understands people.

I guess, part of me is a little scared of that warning; I've already seen what restaurant management as a career does for the people who are unprepared or unwilling to cope with the consequences of a job that pays relatively little for the kind of work and effort you put in: assistant managers who work and, unable to hang out with their usual entourage of friends because of time, and unable to make any new ones outside of work because of time, and unable to befriend others in work because of the chain of command, resort to going home and escaping by movies and television and alcohol; the constant, grating, and occasionally humiliating treatment from customers to staff who truly just want to work and want to make people happy; the stress of the kind of emotional labor necessary to always have a smile, to have high energy, and to go above and beyond even when one is feeling physically and emotionally unwell; and the balance of showing that you care, without caring so much that one single negative feedback sends your entire mood down, or at least finding a way to keep your persona even when you are down.

What scares me the most right now is I can't answer the question, 'Is it worth it?' I'm certainly capable and willing to go the extra mile in order to do my best each day to have a restaurant that always feels welcoming and pleasant for customers, even if it's a chain owned by a corporation. But is that future and its consequences worth it, and for how long?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:12 am
It sounds to me like you're overlooking an important detail: you really like this work, and you're great at it. That means quite a bit. Yes, some restaraunt managers are going to hate their work and resent their lives, but that doesn't necessarily have to be you. You enjoy the work, and you're willing to do a good job, which makes all the difference in the world. If you're sure that this is what you want, then go for it. Don't let someone else tell you that you're going to wind up old and bitter - you aren't them. You don't have to follow the same path.  

Insignificant Observer

Liberal Conversationalist

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm
It does mean quite a lot--which is why I'm able to stay in positions of service and hospitality for, in my opinion, a record time. High turnaround rates in food service and hospitality make career spans in the range of 4-6 months; I usually stay in a job for 2-3 years, leaving only when I find something better.

But it doesn't deny the fact that it does happen, and from other things that my manager said about his story, '...What [food service and hospitality jobs] do to people.' I understand that it's a fear, and things shouldn't be done in the name of fear, but I'm probably not the only person who would say, 'It won't happen to me', and quite a few of those people it probably happened to.

I guess I just don't know what to do about it. I feel celebrated and loved for my work where I am now, but the opinions of people are always changing, and it is a hard job.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 am
I don't know. I've been warned about what working in childcare does to a person, along with tech support and/or customer service in call centres, and support work for people with disabilities. So far, the likelyhood of suffering the predicted consequences appear to be inversely related to one's passion for or enjoyment of the job. Yes, if you work for Convergys, they will slowly suck your soul out through a headset. Yes, talking to stupid American tech support clients makes you feel stupider every day. Yes, just about everyone who works as a community support worker in group homes for adults with developmental disabilities takes up smoking because that's the only way they can manage to take frequent breaks. And yes, working in a daycare does leave a person exhausted and suffering from the effects of a lack of adult conversation. And yes, those last two jobs really do break one's heart into little tiny pieces.

That being said, I love what I do, am very good at it, and frankly, preschooler conversation is often much preferable to adult conversation. I would far rather have my heart broken into tiny pieces again and again in the process of changing and shaping these young lives than have my heart remain intact... and empty.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
Community Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items