Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Shopping in the UK
Gherry Tree Houses ~ NPC Owned Business ~ London

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vampire Toy

Fashionable Pumpkin

9,375 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gherry Tree Houses was a Muggle location in London, England at Shaftesbury Avenue. It is unknown what it is, but it is possibly a restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:45 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗
                                                          мe, мчšełf, αиđ I
                                                          Looking Chill at Gherry Tree Houses with - - -
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Bored
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Ugh, so lame. ❞
                                                          ╚═══════════════════════════════╝

Sħe'š α я e в e ł ; šħe'š α š α ı и т ஒ ஒ ஒxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          Sħe'š тħe š α ł т øf тħe e α я т ħ αиđ šħe'š đ α и g e я ø υ š ஒ ஒ ஒxxxxxxxxx
                                                          Sħe'š α я e в e ł ; ν ı g α ł α и т e ஒ ஒ ஒxxxxxx
                                                          Mıššıиg ł ı и κ øи тħe в я ı и κ øf đ e š т я υ ¢ т ı ø и ஒ ஒ ஒxxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceElizabeth sat alone in a booth, her nose stuck in a book as she waited for her drink to arrive, and the waitress to come take her order. She was grinding her teeth in agitation, mostly because hell, how long did it take to get a bloody soda? She glanced over the top of her novel, glaring at the waitress in question. The woman was making small talk with some guy. Typical. Beth barely resisted the urge to ball up a napkin and toss it at her. Curling her lip, she turned back to her book, wishing that she'd decided to stay home today. She'd been so desperate to get out the house, though. She just didn't want to go shopping for Jazzy's school supplies with the two of them. She'd figured she could wander around London for a couple of hours. But, her mum, apparently still sore over her little stunt the year before (which was a bit dramatic, as far as the brunette was concerned), had insisted that she pick a place and stay there. For the entire. Bloody. Shopping trip. Something the woman had neglected to mention until they were already out. Annoyed, Beth had chosen the restaurant... mostly because she figured it'd be pretty easy to split soon enough. But, she did want to eat first, which was another reason she'd picked it. Except apparently she wasn't going to get to eat very soon, because apparently flirting with some douche was more important to the idiot waitress than her job, go figure. She glared over the top of her book again, watching the older gentleman interact with her. Ugh, what a creep. She was only doing it for tips, Beth would bet. It wasn't like she could be a golddigger; no one eating in this dingy joint was worth trying to dig gold out of. She huffed indignantly, setting her book down, very loudly, causing the silverware and condiments on her table to rattle. The noise acheived its desired effect; both figures looked over at her. When their eyes met, the waitress flushed sheepishly at Beth, muttered something to the man, and headed towards the kitchen. <******** twit," Beth hissed, then she returned to her book once again. Was she even actually reading it at this point? She wasn't entirely sure. She sure as hell didn't have any recollection of anything happening on the page she was currently on... dammit. She turned back a couple of pages, finally finding a familiar spot, and resumed her reading.

╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                          xxxஒ ஒ ஒ Sħe š ı и g š тħe я e ν ø ł υ т ı ø и
                                                          xxxxxxஒ ஒ ஒ Tħe đ α ω и ı и g øf øυя ł ı ν e š
                                                          xxxxxxxxxஒ ஒ ஒ Sħe в я ı и g š тħıš ł ı в e я α т ı ø и
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxஒ ஒ ஒ Tħαт I נυšт ¢ α и ' т đ e f ı иe

(( OOC: ))

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:45 pm
User Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathan Smith

Somehow Nathan's mother had been convinced to allow him (and even his brother later in the summer) to stay at Veronica's and her boyfriend's. While it might be more interesting to be in London and it definitely was more interesting than being at home for the summer (which was mostly just his Dad as his mother traveled god knows where for work), interesting in some aspects didn't mean better. He was still disturbed by the whole 'my sister is a witch' thing. And while Ronna and Toby weren't the type to be having frogs come out of their teapots or whatever (perhaps because Nathan had yet to see a teapot in their apartment) it didn't mean that the idea they could probably turn him into a frog any more comforting. Not that Nathan suspected they would turn him into a frog but the idea they could was bad enough. Ronna and Toby had been at work that day when Nathan, hungry for lunch, had opened the fridge to be reminded of one thing both apparently couldn't do: cook. Or buy proper groceries.

Deciding it was safer to go out to eat then brave leftovers cooked by either of the two he had headed out, first stopping at a bookstore that had caught his eye and eventually ending up at a small establishment called Gherry Tree Houses, which out of pure interest for the name of the restaurant he decided upon it. The place was relatively quiet beyond some slightly older gent, a few university students by the looks of it, and a small family... as he scanned the restaurant for a place to sit his eyes widened as he spotted a somewhat familiar brunette sitting alone and scowling at a book it was the advertisement of "i'm alone and not expecting anyone". Well it was better not to take up an extra table and not eat alone, right? Sliding into the seat across from Beth he said with a grin, "It must be fate, we meet again. Or maybe we just have similar interests and haunts. Either way, nice to see a friendly face. How are you doing Beth?"

Time: Summer of 2031
Dressed: Clothes

{OoC: }
Cara MiaKitty

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:24 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          мe, мчšełf, αиđ I
                                                          Looking Chill at Gherry Tree Houses with - - -
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Bored
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Ugh, so lame. ❞

spaceElizabeth was just getting to a really interesting passage when a somewhat-familiar voice distracted her. She didn't even look up for a long moment, eyes narrowing. What in the bloody hell was he doing here? "You need to look up the definition of the word 'friendly'," she told him dryly, finally glancing up at the other side of the table and arching a brow. She looked around a bit, and noticed he was alone. And had already sat at her table. An odd suspicion took root. "... This is going to be the cinema all over again, isn't it?" she asked, nose wrinkling. Not quite the cinema, she thought to herself; this time there wasn't a film for them to mutually be watching to prevent conversation. He was going to sit with her, she thought. And talk to her. Ugh. What had she done to deserve this?

spaceWith an annoyed huff, she removed her feet from the seat across, where she'd had them propped up, and leaned forward, closing her book and setting it down. "I'm actually in a very murderous mood," she hissed at him through her teeth. "Due to the annoyance of being stuck here, and the piss-poor service. I'm still waiting on a drink I ordered fifteen minutes ago." Somehow, she doubted her bad mood wouldn't phase him; it certainly hadn't at the cinema. And he'd even been the source of it that time, more or less... She'd mostly been annoyed at the twits who'd been flirting with him, but only at first, after that it was entirely him. "What about you, what are you even doing here? Meeting some mates? Or do you make a habit of wandering around London looking for excuses to chat up girls?" Friendly guy like him, she'd bet he had plenty of friends... how annoying. She swore, if some moronic little club of theater boys wandered up and started invading her personal space, she was going to kill the lot of them. And he'd be last, and she'd made him watch her kill all the others, and then she'd torture him for a couple of days.

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 am
User Image
Nathan Smith

Nathan shrugged when Elizabeth in her (from what he saw) predictable dry tone said he needed to look up the word friendly. When she asked about the cinema repeat, Nathan chuckled and said, "Was it that bad? Meeting new people is a good thing, right?" Judging by her wrinkled nose and look, Elizabeth wasn't exactly of the same set of mind. They had a decent enough chat about the movie after the showing so it wasn't like she could hate him. He leaned an elbow on the table and cocked his head with a smile as she said she was in a very murderous mood. "Ah so you are as usual, then?" As she continued on, Nathan looked up to see the waitress serving another table, the one with the older bloke. The waitress looked up as she noticed him staring and had at least enough grace to blush in embarrassment. He looked back at Beth and said, "Should I rescue you from your prison and the torture of bad customer service, Miss Beth?"

When she asked why he was there he dropped the hand he had outstretched, mostly in jest, and said, "Here as in London or here as in this restaurant? I'm actually visiting my sister, and her boyfriend, I suppose. I mean they do live together," He added with a shrug, "They're at work, though. I was hungry and I don't exactly trust either of their cooking enough to start raiding their leftovers." He shrugged. It wasn't just the fact neither were that great of cooks, he didn't trust their fridge ever since he heard about the subject of "potions" being taught at their old wizard school. Who knew if they kept any weird stuff in their fridge besides old spaghetti or not. He didn't trust the fridge perhaps was more accurate then their cooking-they cooked edible food. Or Toby did. Veronica... well she had some kitchen mishaps once or twice. He paused his thoughts and added, his tone slightly dry at first, "Besides I don't tend to go out of my way to 'chat up' girls. Or not how you imply. Not that you aren't cute or anything, just flirting isn't really a hobby of mine."

He could already sense the oncoming danger of calling her cute and quickly added an apology, "Um, sorry, you aren't really fond of being called cute right? You don't seem the type good at taking compliments well-or not ones that couldn't come off as some creep trying to be like well..." he nodded to the guy flirting with the waitress who looked embarrassed at being stared at again, this time Nathan's eyes narrowed for a moment and glanced to the guy, "him." At that point the waitress finally got the hint and rushed over to their table leaving the guy with his order already taken and his drink and a smile like he thought the waitress wasn't trying to pull some tip. Maybe the guy was American or something, they tended to tip well. They hadn't caught on it wasn't expected to tip staff and anything was an unwelcome surprise. Or that is how the friends of his who did wait tables see tipping.

Cara MiaKitty

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:54 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          мe, мчšełf, αиđ I
                                                          Looking Chill at Gherry Tree Houses with Nate
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Bored
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Ugh, so lame. ❞

spaceElizabeth frowned at him; seriously, he was asking her that? "Do you even know me at all?" she asked with a huff, then realized that was sort of a dumb question. Obviously he didn't know her, they'd only met the one time. Though, typically people figured her out pretty quickly. "I don't like people, new or otherwise," she informed the blonde, arching a brow. When he commented that being murderous was her 'usual,' she narrowed her eyes, managing a small smirk. "Oh, so you know me a little bit, then." His offer to 'rescue' her was met with a snort; she didn't need to be rescued. If she were really that bored, she'd rescue herself, thanks very much. She didn't need some knight in shining armor to save the day. The brunette leaned forward, eyes narrowing. "I'm not the one that needs to be rescued," she whispered, tone deadly, sending a meaningful glance towards the man who'd been chatting up the waitress. She then looked back to Nate, grinning evilly. "Also, don't call me Miss, or I'll stab you with the cutlery."

spaceShe sighed, crossing her arms and leaning back in the chair to stare at him, her glasses sliding down her nose a bit. The squib clicked her tongue and pursed her lips at her companion, head tilting to the side. "S'too bad you're not braver, I'd be spared your chipperness. Plus you might be dead, so that's nice," she said blandly. "I take it your sister isn't the domestic sort, then? If you're so scared of her cooking poisoning you. Or does the inside of their fridge resemble a science experiment?" Beth didn't really know why she was asking, she didn't really care. But, he was obviously intent on joining her, so she might as well- Wait. Might as well make conversation? No. That's not how she rolled. She didn't make conversation for the sake of it just because someone else seemed inclined to it. She ignored people until they went away. Or, if they refused, threatened to murder them... She consoled herself with the fact that, clearly Nate was neither the sort to walk away, nor to be afraid of her threats. She was just dealing with the hand she'd been dealt. It wasn't like she liked the guy or anything. She didn't like anyone. She didn't even like Dominique, and he was her best friend, for Merlin's sake. Or, well. She thought he was. She didn't exactly have any others to choose from, and she guessed they got along well enough. She just wondered if he thought of her as just a kid, considering the age difference.

spaceThe look in her eyes turned ice cold when he called her cute, and a tic started in her jaw. Oh, no. No, see, this was why she didn't talk to people. She didn't want to be flirted with, dammit. Especially not by some overgrown puppy. Which was basically what Nate was. Her lip curled, but before she could say anything, he apologized. Her eye twitched. "No, I don't like being called cute," she hissed. She had no desire for anyone to think she was cute. There were two kinds of cute; the 'I think you're adorable let me pinch your cheeks' kind, which she absolutely loathed, and the 'I think I like you and would like to date you' kind, which she didn't have time for. Teenage boys were stupid. She hated them. She certainly didn't want any of them thinking she was cute. "And if a guy like that called me cute, he'd find a knife on his sensitive bits. Lucky you, I know you're just a dumbarse, so you get to live and keep such things in tact." Her eyes narrowed on him, the warning clear; don't do it again. It was true, she knew Nate didn't mean anything by it. She just hated being called cute. Or really anything that equated to attractive. The teen was sort of hoping that by the time she reached adulthood, some boy out there would have matured enough to not make her want to murder him every waking moment, and then maybe she'd date. But she doubted it; teenage boys were stupid, but adult men weren't much better, from what she could tell. Beth was pretty sure she was on a one way trip to Crazy-Cat-Lady-Ville. Which suited her fine. Cat's weren't nearly as stupid as boys.

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:21 pm
User Image
Nathan Smith

Nathan shrugged when she asked if he even knew her. It wasn't like they were particularly close. Of course the role Beth liked to play, hipster chick with a chip on her shoulder was fairly easy to read. Sort of a bitchy-sarcastic-unruffled sort that was semi-homicidal. He was still trying to figure out why she went for that role when she could easily be more approachable. It wasn't like she was ugly and she wasn't stupid by any means. She could easily do the whole 'nerdy geek chic' role if she wanted to. Granted her sarcastic role sort of was nerdy. There were the glasses. "Kind of hard to murder someone if no people are around. Wouldn't not having the opportunity to commit murder get boring?" Nathan pointed out after a moment.

Nathan couldn't help but laugh when she turned his offer into a threat to the guy who didn't get that waiters and waitresses job was to be nice, even attractive ones who wouldn't normally give you the time of day. He waved a hand and said, "Should I call you Mademoiselle instead? You know you really aren't good with jokes."

He was still smiling when his smile faltered as she asked about his sister and her cooking. "No and Yes. I- not exactly. I mean no my sister isn't exactly domestic, but that sort of comes with her being raised by her Dad and her lawyer... I think. Not like our Mum would actually probably waste her time teaching someone something like cooking... I don't even know if she does know how... and it isn't like their fridge resembles a science experiment... I don't think so, I just sort of..." he shrugged at a loss of word, "I should just be thankful they are letting me stay for a couple weeks. It gets me out of being cooped up with Mum. With my brothers graduation coming soon and the fact my A-levels are coming... she's still sort of recovering from the shock of my sister and..." He glanced away and muttered, "...not like their isn't more for mum to die of shock with my sister than she thinks." He sighed and glanced up to see the waitress finally at their table and he said with a polite smile, "I'll have whatever she's having..." He nodded to Beth, "Didn't she make an order a good fifteen minutes ago? Do you not have it?" The waitress apologized quickly and returned with two drinks and apologized again for possibly "ruining their date" and quickly ran off.

Nathan sighed glancing back at Beth as she agreed with his assessment on calling her cute and then went on with threats to the flirty patron. "Lucky me for being a dumbarse," He said rolling his eyes. He took a sip of his drink as he opened the menu he was given, "You know being cute is a good thing. Someone would be an idiot not to think you were at least sort of attractive-at least looks wise. Your personality, no offense, though I doubt you'll take any, well most people would find a bit off-putting."

Cara MiaKitty

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:09 pm
User Image

c υ r r e n т l y
                                                          мe, мчšełf, αиđ I
                                                          Looking Chill at Gherry Tree Houses with Nate
                                                          xxxғeelιngxxx
                                                          Bored
                                                          xxxтнιnĸιngxxx
                                                          ❝ Ugh, so lame. ❞

spaceElizabeth shrugged at him, expression mostly neutral. "If there weren't people around I wouldn't have the urge to commit murders to begin with," she replied, then made her expression turn faux-thoughtful and tapped her chin. "Or maybe I would. Maybe the desire to commit murder isn't actually just because people annoy me. Maybe I'm a psychopath. Maybe I'm going to snap eventually and actually kill someone." At the last sentence, her tone and expression turned ominous, eyes narrowing on the blonde. The implication was obvious, but it was probably also obvious that she was only joking. Mostly, anyway. If she snapped, it wasn't really all that likely that she'd be very particular about who she killed, so he might end up in the line of fire if he was stupid enough to be around. Which, if his presence at her table was any indication, he absolutely was.

spaceSomething in Beth's mind twitched, but she shut the thought down. It didn't matter if magic was real and she believed in fate; running into the same random guy twice, a year apart, in spite of his not living in the area, was just a coincidence. A really, really big coincidence. There was no way Nate was supposed to be part of her life. He was way too... ugh. Everything that annoyed her. Chipper and friendly and optimistic. He was a puppy. She hated puppies. Dominique notwithstanding; the French man was mature, and put up with her horrible attitude. She blatantly ignored that, from what she'd seen, the blonde was mature as well, and clearly willing to put up with her. She figured she was required to have one friend; people with no friends did actually go crazy, and in spite of everything, she rather liked being sane. Maybe if she'd met Nate first, she'd have relented, but as it stood, the position was filled, no more applications were being accepted. Besides... even if he was a puppy, Dom could be catty. Nate had shown no such ability thus far.

spaceHer lip curled when he asked if he should call her mademoiselle instead, and she barely suppressed the urge to kick him under the table. "Or maybe you're just not half as funny as you think you are," she sniped back, managing a cruel smirk. "But please, keep trying. I like the idea of being able to convince a jury my actions were justified. 'I swear, your Honor, if you'd spent five minutes alone with the guy, you'd be sitting here, too,'" Her hand settled over her heart dramatically, a brow quirked at him. If she were honest with herself, she'd admit that he was a little funny. Good thing she was a consummate liar.

spaceBeth frowned; what, just because she'd been raised by a guy... or a couple of guys (she assumed from the context that the lawyer was a man, too), she didn't know how to cook? "Wow, didn't have you pegged for a misogynist," she told him dryly, actually annoyed at him now. This was why she didn't bother with boys; even the ones that seemed nice always had something wrong with them. And the nicer they seemed, the worse it inevitably was. "Newsflash; men can cook, too, just because that's who raised her doesn't mean she can't. Also... you sure the guy was her lawyer? I'd think a guy who tells women he's gay to get them to back off would be a bit less obtuse." Seriously, she was raised by 'her dad and her lawyer'? That sounded like a cover for a gay couple if she'd ever heard one. Why the cover was necessary, she didn't know, but seriously. "Why is your mum so shocked over your sister, anyway? She's got to be her mum, too, if your sister was raised by her dad, otherwise you wouldn't be siblings, so, what, she doesn't remember being pregnant for nine months and giving birth? Fuzzy memory?" Beth scoffed at him, thoroughly confused, but trying to act like she didn't care. And she didn't, not really, she was just curious. Half of what he said whenever the subject of his sister came up made absolutely no sense, and it drove her nuts. Okay, so she did care, but only because it made no sense and was driving her crazy!

spaceShe wrinkled her nose when the waitress appeared; had she not been annoyed at him over the misogynistic comment, she might've appreciated the fact that Nate was being a bit short with the woman on her behalf, but as it was, she wasn't in the mood to give him any such credit. Besides, he wasn't entirely correct. "I ordered my soda fifteen minutes ago," she corrected blandly, giving the waitress an annoyed look. "I've been waiting to give my food order for a good ten, though. Hamburger and chips, by the way, if you care. I assume you don't, though, which is sort of bad, considering you're a waitress, but whatever." She turned back to Nate then, going into ignore-mode towards the woman, who at least had the presence of mind to look sheepish and mutter an apology. Beth did narrow her eyes when the woman mentioned a 'date', torn between wanting to correct her, and wanting to milk that assumption for all it was worth. But, the woman was already gone, so she'd have to wait. That was fine, it gave her time to formulate a plan on how to go about doing it.

spaceShe rolled her eyes at the boy, thinking that anyone who was pleased to be called a dumbarse had a few screws loose. Then again, anyone who willingly spent time with her had to, anyway. She wished she could appreciate the company, but the entire thing had been soured by his reasoning for why his sister didn't know how to cook. "Being cute is only a good thing if you want attention. Which I don't. Inevitably, everyone proves themselves to be not worth my time, and I'd rather not waste the effort to find out in what way they're lacking. You didn't give me much of a choice, thanks for that." The thank you was said with the most murderous expression she could manage, and a perfectly flat tone to her voice. She was really annoyed at him for forcing himself on her, seeming like a relatively harmless guy, and then turning out to be a jerk... just like every other guy. She had actually thought her only issue with him would be how annoyingly happy he always seemed... Obviously she'd overestimated him. Why? She was usually so good at being a pessimist and assuming the worst about people. Clearly, she needed to pay more attention to that sort of thing. "And, off-putting is the point. So that jerks don't think I'm worth the effort. Apparently, you're immune. Not doing yourself any favors with that, you know."

mc2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:20 pm
User Image
Nathan Smith

Nathan chuckled as Elizabeth shrug and countered his comment on murder. She reminded him of some of the great women who were in Shakespeare plays-a sharp tongue and equally sharp wit. Too bad most female roles in Shakespeare were rather quiet. It was a reflection of the times, though, and usually when a woman spoke (as with most of Shakespeare's characters) it was well worth it to hear whether for its strength of word or how amusing it might be. "Either way, I argue you'd get bored without people around to possibly murder," He answered, still smiling.

His smile didn't even falter as she pointed out that he wasn't as funny as he thought he was. Instead of getting the slightest bit ruffled he gave a small shrug. The idea that Beth would willingly give a compliment of any sort to him was absurd. It wasn't so much that she hated him-or he didn't think she did-but the fact she wasn't the type to compliment anyone. Her wit was sarcastic and sharp and though what she said might be cruel from someone else's mouth, Nathan could sense it was less of her being cruel but not having any other way for her to understand. Sarcasm was hardly bad, in fact it was sort of amusing. Perhaps that is why fate had him run into her twice in such a short time. He was more used to the theater girls that wanted to be famous who were pretty and usually ever slightly so arrogant or the type of girls that his brother attracted usually or his sister or his mother. His mother being probably the worse type, cold and calculating. At least the first two were ditzy or slightly ditzy and his sister, well she was just scary but she also had a maternal streak in her (not that she could see it).

When Beth frowned and called him a misogynist he paused setting down his glass he was going to drink from. Was he misogynistic? "I never said men couldn't," Nathan countered with a sigh and frown as he went over his words and then looked at her confused for a moment when Beth asked if Carl was really Veronica's lawyer. Obtuse? Him? Oh, he had made it sound like the two were a couple. "He threatened to sue Mum for custody so I'd reckon he was-well is-my sister's lawyer. As for anything else..." Nathan shrugged, "It wasn't like they were together, Veronica's-my sister's-Dad and Carl, her lawyer. Or they weren't when Veronica went to live with Carl. Carl lives in London. Veronica and her Dad lived outside of Dover."

He looked to Beth and fixed his gaze on her, catching a sight of the reflection of his serious expression in her glasses, "And, maybe I meant it a little that they were guys was why Veronica can't really cook that great-I mean they were sort of stereotypical bachelors from what Ronna makes them out to be-but I meant it was more that the people who specifically raised her couldn't really cook so she can't." He sighed, "I mean my Dad does most of the cooking and household stuff and was more stay at home than my Mum ever was or will be, so it'd be sort of weird if I thought guys couldn't cook." He shrugged, "I probably can cook better than my sister, not that I'm great, but it could be just some people are better cooks than other regardless of teaching."

He looked down at the straw in his soda and began to twirl it in his glass not saying anything, hoping Beth's frown and defense would lower. Figured he'd have to go and say something that equated putting his foot in his mouth. Must run in the family. Andrew was horrid about doing it-but the guy didn't care. And Veronica... she just said things without a filter and dealt with the aftermath from that. She seemed incapable of doing anything else, no thanks to her quick temper. Nathan always tried to not say something to upset people. Maybe Beth's bluntness brought out Nathan's worse traits or his own bluntness, but that wouldn't be fair to blame Beth for his blundering of words, right? He glanced up when Beth asked more about Veronica and his mum and let out a short humorless laugh, "Might explain a lot if that was the case with Mum. She didn't even contact Veronica till after her Dad got killed. Probably did it out of guilt or something... I... sorry that's a bit mean of me to say about Mum. I... It's just... Veronica's too much like her Dad probably for Mum's taste-not that it is a bad thing. But Mum's big on education and stuff. Most parents are, but Mum is a bit... the American term used to be "tigermom" I think. Or she sort of is. Mum expects-expected-all of us to go to uni... Veronica decided to go straight to work when she was 18. End up doing law enforcement. Mum said that my sister was just going to get herself killed like her Dad got killed... needless to say that didn't go well. My sister, she has a bit of temper... how would you react if someone said something like that considering?"

Nathan shook his head, "The university thing was worse probably because my sister is really good at math and stuff. All along Mum thought Ronna was looking at universities in America even. Ronna was-is-smart enough to do that sort of thing. She was looking at Cal-tech and a few others... or so the story goes..." Nathan shrugged, "Guess it's up to Andrew or me to follow Mum's footsteps in the math field. Too bad my brother rather life sciences and I suck at math. And science." Nathan went back to twirling his straw. There was also the issue that even if Veronica had wanted to do what their mother had thought or expected, Veronica couldn't. Not like 7 years of learning to turn things into toads or brew potions or whatever else a "magical education" taught would or should prepare someone to go to some regular university. Especially a prestigious one. From what Nathan could figure, math and language wasn't even a requirement in that school, though his sister did talk about some math she did for her work. Probability or something. Ar-something or another. Not exactly physics or calculus, though.

Nathan was lost in his thoughts once again when Beth called back his attention with arguing that being cute was only useful if you wanted attention. "Everyone wants attention of some sort," Nathan argued. "People need it. Either you get it from your parents, or friends, or other family members, or boyfriend or girlfriend, or someone you still need it. You can't..." he paused he was going to say that she couldn't say that she didn't play her whole catty 'I'm too cool for you' role because she didn't crave some attention-though in her case more to cause shock and admiration of the sort where people watched her from afar and never bothered to really get to know her-but that would have been mean. He sighed and continued, "And everyone is lacking and with their faults. Even you. You just got to learn which faults your willing to put up with." He widened his eyes innocently and gave her a small smile despite the murderous glare she shot him with. He dropped the expression as she went on and said she was off-putting on purpose to avoid jerks and that apparently he was immune. "You're easy enough to read to me, that's all. I don't tend to get offended easily, that's all. As for jerks... you know 'birds of a feather flock together', if you act mean or catty or however you want to put the 'off-putting' you try for, you tend to attract similar people: that means jerks."

Cara MiaKitty

Quote:

Quote:

Shopping in the UK

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash