Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Art I~ Open- Intro 2061-'62 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 am
Three little birds sat on my window.
And they told me I don't need to worry.
Summer came like cinnamon
So sweet,
Little girls double-dutch on the concrete.

User Image
User Image

¤ Artist ¤ Married ¤ Mother of Three

Tanna had set her classroom accordingly with new lesson plans and various artworks and reproductions scattered along the walls and the back with desks and chairs in the middle. She waited patiently for her students to trickle in, giving each third year a friendly smile and when the final person arrived she closed the door and turned to begin. "I know many are curious on what you will be learning in this class and if it correlates into creating art. Muggles and wizards alike have gone through many periods of darkness and growth that has effected the way they look and produce art. The way the class is set up is that first, we'll have a brief lecture either over a time period or a distinct artist. You will find copies and examples of the period or artist along the walls for later perusal and then afterwards we will start on the actual art lessons. Still with me yes? So, seeing as this is the my first lesson with you, I would like you to please state your name, your house, and why you decided to take Art. Once everyone has had a turn we will begin the lesson." Tanna told them then waited for the first student to speak.

After everyone had gone, the art professor went over to her first chalkboard and wrote 'Renaissance' in her color-changing chalk. "One of the biggest periods of artistic growth was the Renaissance, a cultural movement that spanned roughly from the 14th to the 17th century; beginning in Italy in the Late Middle Ages and later spreading to the rest of Europe. As a cultural movement, it encompassed innovative flowering of Latin and vernacular literature, beginning with the 14th-century resurgence of learning based on classical sources. In politics, the Renaissance contributed the development of the conventions of diplomacy, and in science an increased reliance on observation. The most recognizable from the Renaissance is the art and the newly created methods to observe and create it. The development of perspective was part of a wider trend towards realism in the arts. To that end, painters also developed other techniques, studying light, shadow, and, famously in the case of Leonardo da Vinci, human anatomy. Underlying these changes in artistic method, was a renewed desire to depict the beauty of nature and Aesthetics, or the philosophy of the beauty of nature, the human body, taste, and sound. At the end of class you may spend the remaining time looking at the different artwork but for now, we actually do have an art lesson." Tanna gave them a renewed grin after gesturing towards the many paintings on the wall.

The young teacher walked over to her second chalkboard and began writing in her curly script: Lighting and Frame in your artwork "There are a number of ways that light affects or interacts with artwork, from how a piece is lit, to deliberately incorporating the interaction of light within the work. Lighting of artwork is crucial to supporting the meaning of the artwork. Strong lighting creates strong highlights and shadows, which enhances the physical form of the object. Strong lighting is often used with classical Greek and Roman sculptures of the human body. The lighting reveals the contours of the figure and emphasizes its physicality. Diffuse lighting, which means the light on the object is more spread out, minimizing shadows and contrasts and making the object appear flatter, minimizes the physicality and contours of the body, and accents its stiff pose. Light in other works of art could be for dramatic contrast, to enhance the beauty of what or whom ever you draw or paint, or to create a two dimensional look to your artwork.
                                                              Now, that's just the lighting you create, natural light such as from candles, light bulbs or sunlight can also enhance the beauty of your art. Reflections are like magic in some ways. They transform a space in dramatic ways and make it appear infinitely larger, depending on the placement of reflective surfaces such as mirrors. Water can also be used to make reflections to create a sense of peace, calm, and serenity. Water has a naturally soothing effect on people, and the depth of a reflection within a pool creates an opportunity for contemplation. Framing for all intent and purposes is not just the frame holding in the picture, it is also the main focal point of your art. Without a frame your art could seem endless with one no mater how big or small it is constrained but in a way that you created.

For today, I would like you to draw whatever comes to mind and then attempt to add light and or frame to this sketch and then for homework I'd like for you is to go take a walk at different times of the day, if your schedule allows you, and notice the light the sun makes upon the area around you. Mark the shadows and note where they are and if they moved. This isn't graded it's merely a guide to enhance your knowledge and understanding of lighting. If you hit a problem please don't hesitate to raise a hand and when you're finished you may either leave or take a stroll around the room."
                                                              Tanna finished grinning at her young pupils before taking a seat at her desk to construct timelines for her older class group.

Girl, put your records on, tell me your favorite song
                    You go ahead, let your hair down
                    Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams,
                    Just go ahead, let your hair down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:46 am
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish
RavenclawFirst YearEleven Years OldSingle

With a sketchbook and her art pencils within her schoolbag, Linsey made her way to the Art Room. After having seen Professor Hawthorne’s guest lecture at the Art Festival over the summer and hearing the stories her mother and her aunts told of all the fun things they did in the class, Linsey wanted to be there and be a part of the magic that came with visualizing the ideas in her mind and in the creating of things making them real.

Aunt Fi still sent her teacher paintings, even though she’d graduated some seventeen years previously, her mother invited her to showings at the gallery, and even Aunt Lynn would speak wistfully of the fun she had in her class. With this kind of endorsement, how could Linsey not want to share in this experience too?

But upon arriving at school, she learned Art wasn’t even offered to First Years, and she would have to wait three long years before she could even sign up for the class. How could this be?

Linsey understood the why of it in regard to the other electives, such as the advanced magic classes: without the grounding of three years of study, it could be dangerous even attempting what was done in Alchemy or Cursebreaking. But, Art? As luck would have it, the intro class coincided with a free period, and Linsey decided she wanted to see what was going on for herself. Afterall, she reasoned, while it was wrong to skip classes, she couldn’t see how anyone could be upset with her playing what amounted to… ‘reverse hookey.’

As she approached the Art Room, she saw there were other students present, albeit all of them were older than she. Still, Linsey thought she might be able to slip into the room along with them and hope the professor didn’t immediately notice she had an extra student present.

OOC: Open for Interaction

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "All my life I never really knew me till today
                  Now I know why, I'm just another step along the way

I lie awake for hours, I'm just waiting for the sun
                  When the journey we are making has begun
                  Don't deny the feeling that is stealing through your heart
                  Every happy ending needs to have a start

All my life I never really knew me till today
                  Now I know why, I'm just another step along the way "

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:13 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

Tanna noticed around the end of introductions a slight student stow away towards the back of the room but at first thought nothing of it. Students came in late at least once, especially towards the beginning of the year, so she just made a mental note to catch up with them at the end of the lecture. When she had finished and went back to her desk to do her mandatory attendance and only then did she realize that she a weight problem; she was over one student. She frowned lightly before looking up again to do a manual headcount and came back the same, one extra student. Interesting. Intrigued, she made her way around the class checking with those still perusing the art and those already at their desk practicing. As she got closer towards the back of the room, she took a closer look at the late arrival noting their shorter stature (though that really meant little at this age) and oddly enough, they seemed familiar somehow. "Hello dear, I seem to have missed you earlier for introductions. Do you mind if I have you name please? My classes are usually small enough for me to know everyone after awhile." Tanna smiled brightly as she asked.

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:00 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

The little First Year found a quiet corner desk where she hoped she could remain unobtrusively out of sight and mind for those in the room. When it came to introductions, she kept silent, knowing the other Ravenclaws present would surely figure out she didn't belong with them, and call her out for being an intruder. Still, she kept quiet, and paid rapt attention to Professor Hawthorne as she gave her opening lecture, and she saw there were examples of different works by different artists. All of it served to fire her mind and anticipate ever more what was to come.

Linsey hadn't been sure what to expect out of the first Art class, since her only experiences with such things were the ones at her old primary school, where they fiddled about with paints, and made crude objects out of clay which the teacher would dutifully fire in the kiln, no matter how misshapen they might be, and the almost obligatory exercise of creating images using construction paper, glue and uncooked pasta. A lesson in Art History was a bit of surprise, and Linsey fished her class notebook out and immediately started taking notes along with the other students.

She also took notes on the actual art lesson, and started in on the class assignment, when she saw the professor coming toward where she'd been on the periphery of the class. Linsey sat up straighter in her seat, and she gave the professor a hopeful look and a smile. "I'm Linsey Grey-Cavendish, Professor Hawthorne, Ravenclaw House. I'm, um, well, I'm a First Year," she said quietly, not wishing to disturb the other students, and having decided it was best to be honest. "I saw you at the Art Festival last month, and after hearing the stories about this class from my mom, I really wanted to be here, and be a part of it."

OOC:
Username

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:39 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

Tanna nodded that her assumption as correct that she was a wayward student but was stupefied at the fact that she was a first year. She was a might bit sheepish as the young girl explained she'd seen and heard her talk at the Art Festival from the summer and apparently from her mother and had wanted to be part of the class. It took her a bit longer than she'd like to make the connection between her and a previous student. "Grey-Cavendish....oh! Oh!" Tanna took a seat besides Linsey with a huffing laugh. "Well if that doesn't show my age today. I think I've had Grey in at least one class since I started here, or just about. And all so talented!" she mused aloud, still smiling. What a lovely surprise! "I'm happy and a might bit honored that you decided to try my class after word of mouth. By the by, you're not supposed to be in another class about now are you? I'd really hate to take points away from a Grey." Tanna teased.

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:00 am
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

Linsey chuckled along with the professor, which put her at ease, and she set the sketchbook she'd held close to chest down on the desk, where the professor would be able to see she'd already started on the art exercise. "Mom's told me stories about all the fun she had here. She also told me about the ginormous dragon she created for her NEWT project, and that she made it fly. Aunt Fianna paints landscapes, and I know she had one of her paintings to give to you at the Art Festival. Oh, and she was getting ready to have her baby right about the same time I was getting ready to come to school."

The last bit was still a bit of a sore point for her; with the whole of the clan gathering for the arrival of a new member of the family, she'd felt put out that she still had to travel to school when she did, rather than wait until after the birth. "Got an Owl Post the other day, found out she had a little girl, Freya Aisling MacDavis-Grey. Got pictures too," she said cheerfully, before adding, with a bit of wistfulness, "My godmother, Selina was hoping you hadn't forgotten her after all this time. She told me how she how being here gave her a safe space to create. That's why I wanted to be here, to be part of the magic."

When asked about whether she were supposed to be somewhere, she shook her head, and chuckled. "No, I had a free period today."

OOC:
Yukina101

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:55 am
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

Tanna hummed as she listened to Linsey explain herself and how she came to her class; specifically all the tales told by her family members. Hearing the bit about the newest Grey addition had her mentally conspiring to send them a lovely basket (it was only fair with all that they've given her over the years) only to lightly snort as she was asked a rather silly question in her opinion. "I very rarely forget any of my students but even if I did, I doubt I'd forget your godmother. I'm happy I was able to offer her some solace, especially during her hectic last years. I still keep a few of her sketches as references for the younger classes." Tanna did so with all of her older students, after asking permission of course, and she saw that it helped plenty of her younger students knowing these references weren't from seasoned professionals but other students. That and it just made her happy keeping remnants of the past; sue her she was emotional.

She wasn't sure how much of her last statement was truth and not just sugarcoated but her lips quirked upward all the same. "Well that's a good thing. Now, I can't do anything about it today since class is nearly over so we'll just have to discuss what to do in the future. Since I'm assuming that this won't be just a one time thing." Tanna paused giving the girl a dry if not amused look. Decades of Grey's had at least taught her that much. "While I would've rather you'd gone the route of the actual established Art Club, I can sort of see where you were coming from. So, in the effort to not have total favoritism, and teach you that while inevitably innocent you should probably not go around sneaking into older classes as you wish, I will do these two things. Firstly, you will stay behind with me to take down and store the paintings and wipe the chalkboards. Second, I'll speak with your house head about-occasionally!-dropping by the class in your free time. In exchange, you have to get all your work done in a timely fashion and if in any way this conflicts with anything school related you will do that first. Do we have a deal Miss Grey-Cavendish?" she held out her hand solemnly, still fully amused with the entire situation, for the young girl to shake if she pleased.

Graydon Ironshield

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:15 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

Linsey’s eyes brightened, and a warm smile spread across her face, when she heard what Professor Hawthorne told her, heartened to hear that, contrary to her aunt’s stated fears and confirming what Ma told her, no, her godmother hadn’t been forgotten, despite the passing of so many years. “I’d love to see them some time,” she said in a quiet tone, reflecting for a moment on how little she really knew about some of her relatives.

When the professor mentioned how she was assuming Linsey’s clandestine visit to her class was likely not a one-time event, the girl responded with a wide-eyed look. In all honesty, Linsey hadn’t planned anything beyond her immediate goal, which had been to see what was taking place, and why it was denied to younger students. Now, however… it was akin to the time when she was very little, and her father slipped a sample of ginger ale, when Ma wasn’t looking, from his glass into her cup. She found the sweet taste and the way the bubbles tickled her little nose so irresistible that, of course, she wanted to have more.

Listening to the professor, she knew she was being extended a courtesy and a privilege, and it was coming at the cost of her staying over to help out with clean up, that her Head of House would be made aware of her interests, and that she needed to stay on top of her studies and her other activities. Linsey liked helping her teachers out at her old school, and while she really didn’t know her Head of House, she rather hoped she wouldn’t be in dutch with them. As she reasoned, calling a Ravenclaw to task for being curious was akin to doing the same to a Gryffindor for being overly brave; it was simply her nature. As for the rest, well… like she really needed an excuse to study harder, except now there was an extra reward.

Linsey nodded, causing her long silvery ponytail to bob emphatically with an extra bounce, took the professor’s proffered hand and shook it enthusiastically. “ Deal, Professor Hawthorne, but you can just call me Linsey, if you like. So, maybe while we’re cleaning up, you could tell me about your favourite Renaissance artist?”

OOC:
Yukina101

User Image

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 pm
So sweet,

User Image
User Image

Tanna had set her classroom accordingly with new lesson plans and various artworks and reproductions scattered along the walls and the back with desks and chairs in the middle. She waited patiently for her students to trickle in, giving each third year a friendly smile and when the final person arrived she closed the door and turned to begin. "I know many are curious on what you will be learning in this class and if it correlates into creating art. Muggles and wizards alike have gone through many periods of darkness and growth that has effected the way they look and produce art. The way the class is set up is that first, we'll have a brief lecture either over a time period or a distinct artist. You will find copies and examples of the period or artist along the walls for later perusal and then afterwards we will start on the actual art lessons. Still with me yes? So, seeing as this is the my first lesson with you, I would like you to please state your name, your house, and why you decided to take Art. Once everyone has had a turn we will begin the lesson." Tanna told them then waited for the first student to speak.

After everyone had gone, the art professor went over to her first chalkboard and wrote 'Renaissance' in her color-changing chalk. "One of the biggest periods of artistic growth was the Renaissance, a cultural movement that spanned roughly from the 14th to the 17th century; beginning in Italy in the Late Middle Ages and later spreading to the rest of Europe. As a cultural movement, it encompassed innovative flowering of Latin and vernacular literature, beginning with the 14th-century resurgence of learning based on classical sources. In politics, the Renaissance contributed the development of the conventions of diplomacy, and in science an increased reliance on observation. The most recognizable from the Renaissance is the art and the newly created methods to observe and create it. The development of perspective was part of a wider trend towards realism in the arts. To that end, painters also developed other techniques, studying light, shadow, and, famously in the case of Leonardo da Vinci, human anatomy. Underlying these changes in artistic method, was a renewed desire to depict the beauty of nature and Aesthetics, or the philosophy of the beauty of nature, the human body, taste, and sound. At the end of class you may spend the remaining time looking at the different artwork but for now, we actually do have an art lesson." Tanna gave them a renewed grin after gesturing towards the many paintings on the wall.

The young teacher walked over to her second chalkboard and began writing in her curly script: Lighting and Frame in your artwork "There are a number of ways that light affects or interacts with artwork, from how a piece is lit, to deliberately incorporating the interaction of light within the work. Lighting of artwork is crucial to supporting the meaning of the artwork. Strong lighting creates strong highlights and shadows, which enhances the physical form of the object. Strong lighting is often used with classical Greek and Roman sculptures of the human body. The lighting reveals the contours of the figure and emphasizes its physicality. Diffuse lighting, which means the light on the object is more spread out, minimizing shadows and contrasts and making the object appear flatter, minimizes the physicality and contours of the body, and accents its stiff pose. Light in other works of art could be for dramatic contrast, to enhance the beauty of what or whom ever you draw or paint, or to create a two dimensional look to your artwork.
                                                              Now, that's just the lighting you create, natural light such as from candles, light bulbs or sunlight can also enhance the beauty of your art. Reflections are like magic in some ways. They transform a space in dramatic ways and make it appear infinitely larger, depending on the placement of reflective surfaces such as mirrors. Water can also be used to make reflections to create a sense of peace, calm, and serenity. Water has a naturally soothing effect on people, and the depth of a reflection within a pool creates an opportunity for contemplation. Framing for all intent and purposes is not just the frame holding in the picture, it is also the main focal point of your art. Without a frame your art could seem endless with one no mater how big or small it is constrained but in a way that you created.

For today, I would like you to draw whatever comes to mind and then attempt to add light and or frame to this sketch and then for homework I'd like for you is to go take a walk at different times of the day, if your schedule allows you, and notice the light the sun makes upon the area around you. Mark the shadows and note where they are and if they moved. This isn't graded it's merely a guide to enhance your knowledge and understanding of lighting. If you hit a problem please don't hesitate to raise a hand and when you're finished you may either leave or take a stroll around the room."
                                                              Tanna finished grinning at her young pupils before taking a seat at her desk to construct timelines for her older class group.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items