Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Study of Ancient Runes I (1/4) *New Class 2/17* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:50 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not be looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image

"Welcome class to your first lesson in the study of Ancient Runes. If you don't know who I am by this point, you have obviously not been paying attention in History of Magic. Before we begin this lesson, may I advise you that there will not be any spells in class, so please put your wands away." He waited for the class to comply before launching into his, well, so-called lecture. It wasn't so much a lecture in his opinion as it was just having fun with the class. "Now class, I would like you to direct your attention to the board for a few moments. Notice something odd about it? I can tell you that each line says exactly the same thing. Ten points to whoever can figure out what it says first, and we shall move on with our lesson."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic classroom
                                            Thinking: Let's see who's in this class...
                                            Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                            OOC: If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Now where did I put that wand?

Diamond Wales
                                            Leon McGregor

Devlyn Maycry
                                            Aimee McHalen

Nanashi Kage Enjeru
                                            Jacob Evanson
                                            Jonathan Evanson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:32 am
User Image
                                                    This is a black, black ski mask song
                                                    So put all of your anger on
                                                    In the truly gruesome do we trust
                                                    I will always land on you like a sucker punch

User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ || Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ || Rᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇ Bᴇᴀᴛᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Leon entered the classroom and his eyes went immediately to the board. Frowning, he read the weird runes as gibberish and looked at the professor. Which of course made him sigh. It was Powell, the history teacher, and he was obviously paying more attention than he usually did. Which, Leon had to admit, he was rather less spacey in classes than he usually seemed. He hadn't seen anyone else enter, and when the professor discussed the items on the board, he frowned harder. Some of the runes looked like letters, and Leon figured he was going to take a wild stab at the answer, which was obviously what the professor wanted. Tch. "It's yer name, over an' over. Professor Grayson Powell. Though ain' there li' two L's in yer moniker?" Leon could have been mistaken, but he didn't think so. Not with the way the professor had set this whole thing up.

════════════════════════

Thinking: ..............Tha' is th' lames' puzzle I ever go' a butcher a'.
                                                    OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

I’m just a problem that doesn’t want to be solved
                                                    So could you please hold your applause
                                                    Take this sideshow and all its freaks
                                                    And turn it into the silver screen dream

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

The Shiny Furret

Merry Muse

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:27 pm
User Image
User Image
𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕕 𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕣 𝕣𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕔𝕝𝕒𝕨

Kiley entered the Ancient Runes classroom and took a seat next to Leon. The Slytherin boy seemed just as bored as he always looked, so hopefully he wouldn't mind her sitting next to him. Turning towards the front of the room, Ki was more than excited to see her favorite professor standing there. Professor Powell was practically her idol. Gazing starry-eyed at the board, she couldn't find any words in the letters written on the board. Some of them looked like the letters she was used to, but it was hard to tell. That was when Leon spoke up, pointing out that it was most likely Professor Powell's name, even though it had two L's at the end. "Maybe that symbol at the end, the one that looks like half of an arrow, represents a double L?" she asked curiously. Ki looked to her favorite professor for clarification.

I don't know what I want, so don't ask me 'cause I'm still trying to figure it out.
                                                Don't know what's down this road, I'm just walking, trying to see through the rain coming down.
                                                Even though I'm not the only one, who feels the way I do, I'm alone, on my own,
                                                And that's all I know. I'll be strong, I'll be wrong. Oh, but life goes on.
                                                Oh, I'm just a girl trying to find a place in this world.

x x x x

OOC: . . .

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson clapped his hands together and grinned. Granted, the class size was not what he was used to, but it certainly seemed like it was a lot more interested than his history class. As such, he nodded toward the blond Slytherin as he nodded and gestured to the board. "Very astute observation Mister McGregor. Yes, this is my name repeated over and over again in each of the runic languages. Ten points to Slytherin. ALso yes, I am glad that the both of you noticed. In Runes, double letters do not exist. Thus my last name, as well as the word professor, would be rendered with one single letter as opposed to two. As such, they would read P-r-o-f-e-s-o-r G-r-a-y-s-o-n P-o-w-e-l. Also, if you'll notice, some of the runes on the board look like the letters in the Roman alphabet that we use today. Pay attention to those. You will be most likely to pick those up the fastest as opposed to any others." He turned back to the class. "Now, I hate to do this, but all of you do have homework. Please read the introductions to each runic alphabet so that we may discuss them next class. Thankfully, that's about all, so you are dismissed."

════════════════════════
                                            OOC: If you are quoted in this course, please post. There has been a seriously lack of posts from students who have been supposed to be in this class, and I will deduct ten points from people that don't post at least once in this year.

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson entered the room and went immediately to the board, writing several lines on it before he put the chalk down. Dusting his hands off, he turned to regard the classroom, ready to teach this lesson.

Professor Powell
                                            Runic Languages
                                            Elder Futhark
                                            Anglo-Saxon Futhorc
                                            Younger Futhark and Hålsinge Runes

"Welcome back class. Last lesson I gave you a taste of the Runic alphabets, and this one we shall discuss a bit on the different styles of runes. Obviously you can see on the board several different styles, and last class, you got to see them in action. Each variation of runes was developed over time, and in different regions, often reflecting the fact that all of them developed from preferences in the local language and peoples." He looked around, hoping that he wouldn't put anyone to sleep with this next part. "As for the runic alphabets, there are or were five different variations used. Elder Futhark is the most ancient Germanic runic alphabet that was in use from the 2nd to 8th centuries by all Germanic tribes. This system of runic writing has a very peculiar and complex inner structure. Anglo-Saxon Futhorc is a system of runic writing used in Anglo-Saxon and Frisian inscriptions belonging to the 5th to 9th centuries. Already the word itself shows that Futhorc (as compared to Common Germanic Futhark) developed due to phonemic changes in the languages that it was designed to transcribe. Long Branch variant of the Younger Futhark, also known as Danish runes, is the normal or standard representation of the Younger Futhark, which began to develop at the end of the 8th century and was accepted by the 10th century in the whole of Scandinavia. Short Twig variant of the Younger Futhark is also known as Rök runes. It was used in Norway and Sweden along with the Long Branch variant that was more characteristic for Denmark. Staveless or Hålsinge runes were used only in a restricted area and may be a good example of minimalism. They also may be interpreted as a secret writing system."

He grinned a bit, letting his excitement show for the subject. "Obviously not all of them survived to today in muggle society, which is honestly a shame, because they are a beautiful writing system. However, all of them are used in some way or another in the wizarding world, and can often be seen replacing the regular Latin alphabet in some instances. Also, the Wizarding world created their own system of numbers, and attributed special significance to each. However, that is a lesson for another day. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and sorry for the lecture, but we shall get into working with Runes next lesson."

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales
                                            Leon McGregor

Devlyn Maycry
                                            Aimee McHalen

Nanashi Kage Enjeru
                                            Jacob Evanson
                                            Jonathan Evanson

The Shiny Furret
                                            Kiley Umber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:44 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Powell looked around the room as he prepared it for his first class in Ancient Runes. Honestly, he was pretty excited. He loved history, and this class was just an extension of it. Besides, this was probably the one class he could showcase his love for ancient scripts and not be looked at as odd. Grinning, he wrote on the board a message and settled back to wait and see what came through the door.

Professor Powell
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image
                                            User Image

"Welcome class to your first lesson in the study of Ancient Runes. If you don't know who I am by this point, you have obviously not been paying attention in History of Magic. Before we begin this lesson, may I advise you that there will not be any spells in class, so please put your wands away." He waited for the class to comply before launching into his, well, so-called lecture. It wasn't so much a lecture in his opinion as it was just having fun with the class. "Now class, I would like you to direct your attention to the board for a few moments. Notice something odd about it? I can tell you that each line says exactly the same thing. Ten points to whoever can figure out what it says first, and we shall move on with our lesson."

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales
                                            Balder Borson

Graydon Ironshield
                                            Fianna Grey

The Shiny Furret
                                            Monika Evans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:34 pm
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor Third Year Thirteen Years OldSingle

This was a class Fianna had really been looking forward to, having seen the homework her sister and her cousin had done over the years. It was writing in a secret language, and that was pretty cool. Professor Powell teaching the class was even cooler, since she really liked his History of Magic class. Still, staring at the blackboard at samples of this secret writing was a little intimidating, as the words could mean anything... except they didn't. They all meant the same thing. As she compared the lines, she decided to raise her hand and take a guess. "Um, does it say 'Professor Grayson Powell', professor?"

OOC:
Username

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
                  Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 am
~New Year~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:30 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 am
~New Year~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:35 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:56 pm
User Image
A creative thinker with plenty of opinions,
One who seeks perfection in all you do.
I know just what to do with you...
Ravenclaw!

Orphan Sisters for Life
Third Years

Location : Study of Ancient Runes Class - Friday @ 11:00am
                                                  With : Each other, Class...

Minako walked into class and took a seat. Saving a spot for Candace for when she came in. Taking out her book she’d already read quite a bit into it. It was an interesting subject. One she hoped to get the ropes of and excel in easily. Glancing over her book some more while she waited, Minako wasn’t surprised when Candace strolled in.

“I didn’t know Professor Powell taught this class.” Candace spoke in surprise. “Yeah, one less teacher we need to get to know.” Minako commented as she looked up from her book. “Do you have any idea how long it takes to get from the field for flying all the way here? I’m telling you, it’s quite a bit of work.” The blonde started as she sat down. “Let’s see class let out at 10:45 and you got here with about 5 minutes to spare. So roughly 10 minutes?” The Ravenclaw replied with a smirk. “Very funny Mina…” Candace said nudging her.

Minako continued to smile even as class got started. Candace pulled out her stuff and got ready as Professor Powell began talking. As he directed their attention to the board, Candace has a look of confusion. ‘What in the world…?’ The Hufflepuff had no idea what it said. The Ravenclaw of course sprang her hand up the moment he asked what was on the board. “It’s your name Professor, Professor Grayson Powell written in different rune subscript.” Minako answered brightly.

Minako ~ Status : Excited Theme ~ Attire
                                                  Candace ~ Status : Happy Theme ~ Attire

OOC: - - -

Loyal to not only others, but also yourself.
                                                  I know exactly what to do with you!
                                                  Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:38 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image
                                              User Image

════════════════════════

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces