Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Divination I (Lesson 1 ~ 2038) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 pm
User Image
xxxx× × ×xxxxT H I R DxxxY E A RxxxD I V I N A T I O Nxxxx× × ×xxxx

User Image

Taught by Professor Drusilla Somerset
                                          Monday :: Block 6 :: 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Lessonxxxx× × ×xxxx

Divination (from Latin divinare "to foresee, to be inspired by a god", related to divinus, divine) is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of an occultic, standardized process or ritual. Used in various forms throughout history, diviners ascertain their interpretations of how a querent should proceed by reading signs, events, or omens, or through alleged contact with a supernatural agency. Divination can be seen as a systematic method with which to organize what appear to be disjointed, random facets of existence such that they provide insight into a problem at hand. Divination is taught as an elective subject from the third year on at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

User Image

xxxx× × ×xxxxThe Classroomxxxx× × ×xxxx

Hogwarts students must make quite the trek to find the Divination Classroom. Located in a room at the top of one of the towers, they must climb a spiral staircase leading to a floor with a ladder leading up into the classroom. It is a large, round room, kept dark by preference of the new professor, Drusilla Somerset. It is lit entirely by the candelabras that adorn the many tables, as well as a few floating votive candles here and there. The tables, in rows of six with a path down the middle, are topped with old lace tablecloths, and are large enough for two students to sit together. There are two cushioned parlor chairs behind each table. Each row is a level higher than the one in front of it to ensure that the front of the classroom can be seen from everywhere. The central focus is a large, old-fashioned desk, upon which a large crystal ball sits, as well as a stack of papers and a copy of the textbook. Against the walls of the room are shelves and cupboards, all of which are filled with either textbooks or Divination tools. There are two entire cabinets just for tea sets.

x× × × Notice to Roleplayers × × ×x

Regarding Tardiness:
                                          × This lesson updates on Monday ×
                                          × If your character is posted Friday or later, they are late for class ×
                                          × Students posted before Friday are not late, and should not be stated to be so ×

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 pm
xxxx× × ×xxxxL I S TxxxO FxxxK N O W L E D G Exxxx× × ×xxxx

× Lesson One ×
Introduction to Divination

× Homework ×
Do some research and write a short essay on one method of Divination we'll study this year.

User Image

× Lesson Two ×
History of Divination

× Homework ×
Write a short essay on the history of divination.

User Image

× Lesson Three ×
Seers and Prophecies

× Homework ×
Option 1: Choose a famous Seer and write a short essay about their life.
Option 2: Choose a famous prophecy and write a short essay about the event it refers to.

User Image

× Lesson Four ×
Common Symbols in Divination

× Homework ×
Research a symbol common in Divination and write a short essay about its meaning.

User Image

x× × × Notice to Roleplayers × × ×x

Concerning Homework:
× Homework assignments may be posted to Professor Somerset's Office ×
× Completed homework assignments will be awarded house points ×
× Homework is due by the time the next lesson is posted ×

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 pm
xxxx× × ×xxxxH O U S ExxxP O I N T Sxxxx× × ×xxxx

xxxGryffindorxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxHufflepuffxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxRavenclawxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

xxxSlytherinxxx
× Week One ×
---
×Week Two ×
---
×Week Three ×
---
×Week One ×
---

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:21 am
User Image
Drusilla is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Enchanting in my Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excitedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'My first week of lessons of my first year teaching... how wonderful.' spacespac
'Two halves are equal,
A cross between two evils.'

═════════════════════════════════

Drusilla watched from her chair as the students filed in, counting heads and searching for names and faces. She didn't really need to ask their names; she had seen them all before, one time or another. Little ducks, all in a row. She smiled as they took their seats and stood, her arms sweeping in a dramatic gesture. That was how you did this, right? You played up the theatrics, made it interesting? She supposed a few would roll their eyes, but it was to be expected. Few people took her area of expertise seriously. "Hello, young ones, and welcome to Divination! I will be your new professor, Drusilla Somerset. Although it'll be Professor Somerset to you, of course, little ducks, but that's quite fine, I think..." She trailed off, her eyes growing distant for a second before she gave her head a small shake, smiling again. "Divination is an old art, practiced by Magic folk and Muggles alike; though of course, they rarely read the signs correctly, they lack the ability to do so, usually. But you, my young ones, can be taught to read the signs and to predict the future. I say predict because, of course, time is a fluid, ever changing thing. Every time you are faced with a choice, you could change the events that were to transpire. And everything is important; choosing something different for lunch; going to bed an hour earlier than usual; even stopping for one second on your way to a lesson to gaze out the window can set and entirely new wave of things in motion than would have had you gone about the usual path. And so, nothing is certain. But, we can always look. We can always search. In the future, we see signs, hints of things to come. Whether or not they are to be is largely up to us. Seeing is the first step."

She paused then, eyeing her students carefully. For once she wasn't suffering from random distractions, random visions. She was in her element, doing what she knew she must. What felt right. She gestured to the board, where she'd written out the important details of the day's lesson for her students to copy down. Hopefully, this practice would continue. Her schedule was very important to her; it was what kept her on track. And part of that schedule was writing the lesson plan out for her students to copy. It ensured that, if she missed something in the discussion, they still learned it. "On the board, you can see notes on the day's lesson. Please copy them down. While you are doing so, think of your own answers for these questions; What is Divination, and what purpose does it serve? Any student who contributes anything worthwhile to the discussion will earn House Points." She began pacing the room then, eyeing her students carefully. Would they take this lesson seriously? They'd chosen to take it, but then, that had never stopped anyone from treating it like a joke before.

'It's not an enviable lot.'

(( OOC: ))

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

Devlyn Maycry

Obsessive Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:08 pm
User Image 

ஒ Mudblood ஒ Orphan ஒ Single ஒ

But I know that, I was put here, to fight Vikings, in the cold war, 
                                                                                                with my arms out, in the front lines, singing, “Dare me. Dare me.”

Steffi walked into the class,, surprised to see she was the very first one there. That was definitely strange for her. She gave the professor a smirk before casually taking a seat and leaning back to stare at the ceiling as the professor the spoke. She had taken the class out of pure curiosity. Having grown up on the streets, she was more than used to seeing 'fortune tellers' and 'palm readers' around begging for money so they could spew bull s**t right back at you. Now that she knew about magic, she wanted to see if all the mumbo jumbo had any truth behind it. She wanted to know if there really was any real future reading. She honestly didn't think it was possible. Anyone that could see the future would surely have killed themselves by now.....Right?

She sighed and flung out some parchment and scribbled down swift notes. There was no point in getting in trouble on the very first day of school now was there? After that, she just silently contemplated the questions posed to her, not really sure on the answer. Divination was future telling. It told of the future and that was its purpose. It's purpose was a bunch of bullshit. Who would want to know all that? Without raising her hand she spoke up. "Divination is telling the future professor, and that's its purpose as well, but it's a stupid purpose, because knowing what the future entails only forces that future onto yourself. And I will never let anything or anyone tell me what I'm supposed to be or do.Nicht einmal der Gott verdammt verdammt Zukunft oder Schicksal oder was auch immer Sie möchten, dass die Scheiße nennen." The last sentence was muttered at a quieter level, and also spoken in German, her 'native' tongue. 

OOC: ...

I hope they hurt you. I hope they scar you. I hope they heal you. 
                                                                                                You’ve got to weigh your
                                                                                                wars make sure you’re not fighting for nothing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:22 pm
User Image
User Image

|||Third Year|||Ravenclaw|||Single|||

Lyre wrote the lesson with her neat print, not wanting to get in any sort of trouble! She never was much of a trouble maker... or social butterfly... or anything, really. At the teacher's questions, she blinked, violet irises twinkling. She waited her turn, then said in her overly quiet voice, "D-Divination is reading the future, yes? With several different methods... like tea leaves and crystal balls? It can be used to a-avoid trouble, I suppose, if used correctly, or cause it... as well? I think...?" She dropped her gaze, yet again shying away. She didn't like being the center of attention, and that carried over into trying to speak aloud in classes. She peeked back up at the Professor, hoping she had heard, if only to avoid having to repeat it at a louder volume.

{OoC:}

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excitedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'My first week of lessons of my first year teaching... how wonderful.' spacespac
'Two halves are equal,

Drusilla smiled at the young lady, having already known that she would be trouble. She'd suffered young, and it had built a wall around her heart, a heart darkened by fear, mistrust, and having to grow up too soon. So many relied on her, but who could she rely on? An image flashed before Dru's eyes, and she approached the girl, staring into her eyes, her soul. Drusilla's expression was sympathetic, kind. "So many have said, and so many believe. The term is, I believe, a self-fulfilling prophecy, yes? Something you try with all your might to prevent, which happens only because you tried to prevent it. That's what happened to Tom Riddle, you know. His actions shaped his foe, so that when the two met for battle, The Boy Who Lived was a match for him, and he was bested. And why did he shape the Boy? Because he was attempting to prevent his very life. Such a shame, such a shame. Not that he failed, but that his own actions are what killed him. Because he knew he would die, and so he tried to prevent it. And so he did... but then, we all die, don't we?" She took Steffi's hands, holding them gently. "We all die... as someone close to you did... right before your own eyes, too. And you were so young... poor dear, poor duckie. To be shaped by such a tragedy... and it didn't end there, did it, duck? The little ones, so many little ones, with no guidance but from you... you had none of your own, but you had to be their light. Poor child..." Her eyes flashed, and then narrowed, a familiar sight greeting her in her mind. "The sleep... it will take you, child... seek not your dreams..." After a second, her expression brightened, and her eyes cleared, and she stood, looking towards the other girl, smiling and tilting her head at the child. "You are quite right, my dear. It is generally used to prevent troubles, or at least be prepared to handle them. Knowledge is power, after all. And knowing what will come can help you plan how you will face it. Preventing the future is tricky, and generally something I would recommend avoiding. But preparing for it is wise. On the chance it doesn't happen, you'll not suffer it, but if it does, you'll be better off when it comes." She focused for a moment... a Ravenclaw, yes? She smiled. "Ten points to Ravenclaw, Miss Lutrix." She returned to the head of the classroom, smiling. She glanced at Steffi, her eyes twinkling. "I find that most often, the act of attempting to prevent the future is what sets it into motion. It is what aligns the pieces on the board so that they are in the perfect place to fall the way the universe implies it should. To be ready, but live your life without really worrying about stopping it, is often what does the work. So perhaps the lesson is to take it day to day. Seeing the future should not be used to prevent what you see from happening, but rather to be ready when what shall come comes." She tilted her head again, smiling, eyes closed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:49 pm
Lesson One: What is Divination?

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework should be turned into Professor Somerset's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 pm
Lesson Two: Muggle Forms of Divination

User Image

Muggle and Magical Practices:
              • In Ancient times, the muggle and magical communities were not separated as they are now. Because of this, there were many muggles who wanted to learn the magical arts. While most could not be taught, such as wandwork and the like, Divination was one method in which they could be taught the basic principles. Because of this, we now have various methods of Divination which are known to muggles, and used by them.
              • Muggles can never be true 'Seers' as a witch or wizard can, so methods like crystal or mirror gazing will not really work for them. While a proper Seer, or a witch with potential for Seeing, can see visions in the crystal or glass, a muggle only sees what his or her mind tricks him into seeing. Often, this is used as a more insightful look at their current outlook, rather than a vision of the future.
              • Muggles often use Divination, not to really see or predict the future, but to give them insight on their life, and how they might change it. This is because, since they have no real magic to See with, everything they find in their practice is something they have applied to it from their subconscious.

Methods Commonly Used by Muggles, Learned from Magical Practices:
              • Tessomancy: Also known as Tea-Leaf Reading, this is the practice of looking into a tea cup and making predictions based on the way the leaves are arranged in the cup. While a magical person can imbibe their leaves with their own magic by focusing, or a Seer can do so for the drinker, Muggles possess no magic, so their leaves are arranged by chance.
              • Crystal Gazing: The art of gazing into a crystal form, usually a ball, and seeking visions within it. The Crystal, for a magical user, serves as a medium through which the Seer can focus her energies to make sense of her visions. A muggle, however, will see tricks of the light and mind, which they will then interpret as visions.
              • Palmistry: This method of Divination is actually surprisingly straight-forward for Muggles, since all they need to know is what the different lines actually mean. There is very little room for alterations by magic to change what will be said. However, it is a method which is greatly open to interpretation, and while witches and wizards have ancient texts which they use to determine the meaning of each line, Muggles have long since lost the original documents with this information. Because of this, their determinations are often different from what a witch would foretell, because they are working off of information that has been lost, mistranslated and passed off incorrectly for thousands of years.

Oddities of Muggle Divination:
              While many methods of Divination have been passed down from witches of ancient times, there are a few methods which Muggles have developed on their own, usually designed to answer a specific question.
                  • One oddity is the method of using an Apple Peel to predict one's true love. A person must peel an entire apple in one unbroken strip, taking it in their right hand, and then spin three times, usually by the light of a certain colored candle and while reciting an incantation (both of these things are optional and/or vary from method to method). The peel must then be either cast over one's left shoulder or dropped into a pool of water. The peel is then said to form the letter of the person's soulmate's last name.
                  • Another form of Divination common among Muggles is related to Omens. Omens abound in Muggle Lore and Supersition, with many relating to weddings. One states that, if the wedding band is dropped during the ceremony, whichever of the pair drops it will be the first to die. Should it roll away from the alter, the death will be tragic, or violent. Lastly, should it stop on top of a gravestone embedded in the church floor, one of the pair will die young, the victim being predicted by the gender of the person interred in the grave.

Homework: Do some research and write a short explanation of an Omen common in Muggle Superstition.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

Miss GryffindorK

Sir Spazalots

heather030595
    Exempt from Point Loss: College

Good boyYuuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 pm
    User Image
    CURRENTLY FEELING // Dullspacespa
    CURRENTLY THINKING // 'What a dreary lesson... ah, well.' spacespac
    'Two halves are equal,

Drusilla was perched atop her desk, awaiting the arrival of her students. Last week's attendance had been dismal, only two of her four registered students. And one of them wouldn't be here today... sleeping little doll, she was. How very sad... Dru had warned her not to give in to the dreams, but then, it was so hard when you didn't know it was coming, wasn't it? Alas, the Divination professor had no way of helping those little sleeping dolls. Her eyes flashed. When her students arrived, she gestured towards the board. "As it was last week, little duckies, you can copy the specific notes on the board. As for the lecture... I rather find this lesson dreary, ducks. Muggle Divination is so... depressingly inaccurate. They lack the magic that fuels our own methods of seeing the future. And their methods are simple bastardizations of our own. It's admirable that they try, really, but... there's simply no accuracy to it." She sighed, crossing her legs, her head tilted. "But, of course, they are driven by the same strange need that we have to know the future. After all, we are just as human as they. The idea that we would care more about what's coming is incredibly closed-minded of us, and really, it's not our fault that we have an advantage they don't." Drusilla had seen muggle psychics before, peddling their 'abilities' in the streets and from tiny shops in alleyways. She'd visited them, paid them muggle coin to read her future... their predictions were typically incredibly vague, designed to be applied to anything that did happen so that a person would believe in their abilities. Somewhat shameful, really, but Dru couldn't really blame them.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

Cinnabun Gryffie
    Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
    • Gifting Gone Wild 250
    • Autobiographer 200
    • Pet Lover 100
    PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:06 pm
    User Image
    User Image

|||Third Year|||Ravenclaw|||Single|||

Lyre wrote down all the notes, then looked up at her teacher. Apparently muggle fortune tellers were inaccurate simply because they were nonmagic. That statement made the redhead a bit annoyed. Doing something she would never usually do, the girl piped up. "Ex-excuse me, Miss, but I have to abject. Just because they aren't magic means nothing against them! M-maybe some of them are Squibs! M-Muggles don't have a bad way of life just because we don't have magic. I still prefer to do things the "muggle way," and probably always will. Just because they're not magic, doesn't mean the fantasy's any less real. S-sorry for the interruption..." Her voice faded back to its usual level of quiet in the last sentence, then she blushed and looked back at her notes. She hoped she didn't get in trouble! Lyre was never one much to speak up, but she had to defend her family!

Cara MiaKitty

{OoC:}

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm
    User Image
    CURRENTLY FEELING // Dullspacespa
    CURRENTLY THINKING // 'What a dreary lesson... ah, well.' spacespac
    'Two halves are equal,

Drusilla shook her head at the child, offering a smile. Her objection was admirable, and it made Dru realize she'd not been completely clear with what she'd meant. "You misunderstand, duckie. My point wasn't that there was anything wrong with muggles or how they do things. They are, literally, incapable of telling the future the way we are. When a magical person attempts to See, their magical energy flows into the medium, and their will is what affects the images which appear. Muggles, on the other hand, have no magic to influence their visions, and so everything they See is merely a projection. While our magic guides our Inner Eye to See, they have no magical influence. So what they see is random, and often something they are subconsciously looking for." Drusilla hadn't meant to upset the young lady, hadn't meant to offend. There was nothing wrong with muggles, nothing at all. They simply... lacked magic. Drusilla lacked a fair bit of focus (or possibly sanity), some people lacked manners, others lacked grace. It didn't mean anything was wrong with them. "Ten points to Ravenclaw, dear Lyre, for having the courage to speak up. I did not mean to sound as though anything were wrong with Muggles. I do apologize. I actually agree that certain methods used by muggles which are typically ignored by the magical community are superior. Food cooked with a wand often seems to lack the nuance of that which is prepared by hand. And using a spell to clear one's mind seems rather pointless when you could simply meditate." Her eyes gazed off to the distance as she wondered if she'd eaten lunch today... yes, she was quite certain she had. Lulu had taken her to the Great Hall, the wonderful woman. Having a friend was certainly proving quite helpful.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50
    PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:48 pm
    Lesson Two: Muggle Forms of Divination

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 2 should be turned into Professor Somerset's office before the end of Lesson 3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:52 pm
    Lesson Three: Cartomancy

User Image

The Definition of Astrology:
                • Astrology comprises several systems of divination[1] based on the premise that there is a relationship between astronomical phenomena and events in the human world.

Astrology by Region:
                • Western astrology is the system of astrology most popular in Western countries. Western astrology is historically based on Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos (2nd century AD), which in turn was a continuation of Hellenistic and ultimately Babylonian traditions. Western astrology is largely horoscopic, that is, it is a form of divination based on the construction of a horoscope for an exact moment, such as a person's birth, in which various cosmic bodies are said to have an influence. Astrology in western popular culture is often reduced to sun sign astrology, which considers only the individual's date of birth (i.e. the "position of the Sun" at that date).
                • Jyotisha ( Or Jyotish from Sanskrit jyotiṣa, from jyótis- "light, heavenly body") is the traditional Hindu system of astronomy and astrology. Also known as Hindu astrology, and Indian astrology more recently Vedic astrology. The term Hindu astrology had been in use as the English equivalent of Jyotiṣa since the early 19th century. Vedic astrology is a relatively recent term, entering common usage in the 1980s with self-help publications on Āyurveda or Yoga. The qualifier "Vedic" is however something of a misnomer, as there is no mention of Jyotiṣa in the Vedas, and historical documentation suggests horoscopic astrology in the Indian subcontinent was a Hellenic influence post-dating the Vedic period.[4] This, however, is widely debated since an authoritative work on Jyotish called the Bṛhat Parāśara Horāśāstra is said to be spoken by[weasel words] Sage Parashara who existed before the Hellenic Period and contributed to Rigveda.
                • Chinese astrology is based on the traditional astronomy and calendars. The development of Chinese astrology is tied to that of astronomy, which came to flourish during the Han Dynasty (2nd century BC to 2nd century AD). Chinese astrology has a close relation with Chinese philosophy (theory of the three harmony, heaven, earth and water) and uses the principles of yin and yang and concepts that are not found in Western astrology, such as the wu xing teachings, the 10 Celestial stems, the 12 Earthly Branches, the lunisolar calendar (moon calendar and sun calendar), and the time calculation after year, month, day and shichen (時辰).

Homework: Look up information on your astrological sign, either in Western or Chinese Astrology, and write whether or not you believe what is written is an accurate depiction of you.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

Miss GryffindorK

Sir Spazalots

heather030595
    Exempt from Point Loss: College

Good boyYuuki

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • WilyTrickster 50
    PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:28 am
    Lesson One: What is Divination?

User Image

The Definition of Divination:
                • Divination is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of an occultic, standardized process or ritual. Used in various forms throughout history, diviners ascertain their interpretations of how a querent should proceed by reading signs, events, or omens, or through alleged contact with a supernatural agency.

The Categories of Divination:
                • An omen (also called portent or presage) is a phenomenon that is believed to foretell the future, often signifying the advent of change. Though the word "omen" is usually devoid of reference to the change's nature, hence being possibly either "good" or "bad," the term is more often used in a foreboding sense, as with the word "ominous". The origin of the word is unknown, although it may be connected with the Latin word audire, meaning "to hear."
                • Cleromancy is a form of divination using sortition, casting of lots, or casting bones or stones, in which an outcome is determined by means that normally would be considered random, such as the rolling of dice, but are sometimes believed to reveal the will of God, or other supernatural entities.
                • Augury ranks a set of given possibilities. It can be qualitative (such as shapes, proximities, etc.): for example, dowsing (a form of rhabdomancy) developed from this type of divination. Augury is normally considered to specifically refer to divination by studying the flight patterns of birds.
                • Spontaneous. An unconstrained form of divination, free from any particular medium, and actually a generalization of all types of divination. The answer comes from whatever object the diviner happens to see or hear. Some religions use a form of bibliomancy: they ask a question, riffle the pages of their holy book, and take as their answer the first passage their eyes light upon. Other forms of spontaneous divination include reading auras and New Age methods of feng shui such as "intuitive" and "fuzion"

The Purpose of Divnination:
                Divination is a means to attempt some form of understanding of events to come. The true purpose of this form of magic is hard to say. It is used by some to plan their day to day activities, and by some to attempt circumventing or ensuring that certain things come to pass. It is a fluid magic and is not understood by many who do not have either the Sight nor the patience to learn to See. In this lesson, you will be taught the methods for Seeing, but in order to be successful, you must believe, and put in a fair amount of effort. It will come easier for some than others; any among you might be a Seer, blind to your talents due to lack of practice. For others, visions and signs will be difficult to see. This is natural, and all it means is that you must try harder.

Homework: Do some research and write a short essay on one method of Divination we'll study this year.

OOC:

shabatha

Xistund

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas