Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Herbology III (1/4) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:17 pm
Herbology
Professor Jason Hill

User Image
Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00am to 10:45am
(Updated on Sundays)

This classroom isn't a classroom at all, but one of the greenhouses on the grounds. Work tables are laid out facing the front, with benches for seating. Various plants sit around the greenhouse along the walls and deeper in, and supplies are found on shelves around the structure. The front of the greenhouse happens to have a table for the professor to work, and the tables are spaced far enough apart for the professor to walk around and observe.

Rules of the Greenhouse
If you come in late, you will not come in at all, as the door will be locked.
Failure to follow instructions will grant you swift removal from the greenhouse.
Malicious harm to any plants on the premises will warrant swift removal from the greenhouse.
Arguing, fighting, or any disagreements will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.
Turn in your work on time or you will be docked points.
If you have any disagreements with the professor, you may leave and receive failing marks for that class.

Third Year
[ ] Puffapods
[ ] Moly
[ ] Mimbulus Mimbletonia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 pm
User Image
                                                      ɚSo what if you can see the darkest side of me?
                                                      No one will ever change this animal I have become

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Oᴡɴᴇʀ, Dᴏɢᴡᴇᴇᴅ & Dᴇᴀᴛʜᴄᴀᴘs || Hᴇʀʙᴏʟᴏɢʏ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ

════════════════════════

Jason took a seat on the table in front of the greenhouse. He watched as the students filed in, and he crossed his arms as he waited for everyone to find a seat. This was his first class with the students, and he wanted to be sure that they understood what was expected. Otherwise, he figured there would be a lot of tears and frustrations. As well as students being kicked from his class until they listened to instruction.

As the last students filed in, he flicked his wand, the doors shutting and locking immediately before he stood. His eyes bored into the children before him.
                                                      "My name is Professor Hill, and I am your Herbology instructor. For those of you that will not read the rules on the board, I will repeat them now. Lateness will not be tolerated as I will lock the door when class begins. If you should not listen to instructions, I will remove you from the greenhouse without hesitation. Any harm befalling any of the plants in this greenhouse will result in me removing you from the greenhouse immediately. You will behave as civilized individuals or you will suffer the punishment befitting your misconduct. All assignments will be turned in on time or I will dock points from your house for it. And last, you have any disagreements with me, you will be shown the door and I will not hesitate to flunk you for that portion of the course. Is any of that unclear?"

The werewolf glared at the students now, not exactly hiding his annoyance with previous professors. He of course had to correct bad behaviors from subpar instructors, and he hated that. However, he also knew that he was up to the task, and if anyone ended up leaving the class because of it, they were not up to his course. "Now, my understanding is that your previous professor was lackadaisical in her instruction. I am here to tell you that ends now. Any habits you may carry over from that professor end now, or you will find this the most unpleasant course you have ever taken in this school. As it stands, I wish for all of you to please inform me what you have learned from your previous professor so that we may begin corrections immediately." The alpha was not kidding, and waited to see what responses would be from this group.

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: Please let this group be semi-intelligent...
                                                      OOC:

ɚHelp me believe it's not the real me
                                                      Somebody help me tame this animal I have become

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 pm
User Image
                                                      User Image

════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ |❸| Gʀʏғғɪɴᴅᴏʀ |❸| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Text

Dani didn't know what to expect from the new Herbology teacher. After Professor Watson, they'd gotten a series of substitutes whose knowledge of the subject varied as much as the plants they tended. She wasn't expecting Jason Hill.

The long shaggy hair, leather coat and angular features reminded her of the frontman of Within Temptation, or somebody from the nastier areas of London. It was his eyes she found ... disturbing. He was gazing at all of the students, and Dani had the uncomfortable impression he was sizing them up. As the new professor spoke to the class, laying down the rules as he obviously figured the lot of them were dullards enough not to bother reading them, she got the impression he was silently daring somebody ...anybody to challenge him.

Dani figured he'd already heard the tale of Professor Watson and how she instructed them to use an Incendio on a plant. She raised her hand, and took care to meet the Professor's lupine gaze, and replied, "We've learned one does not use fire as a means to extract the secretions of the Spiky Bush, sir."

════════════════════════

OOC:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am
User Image

Cathy

❤ I was born on August 3, 2014.
❤ My blood is B+. Sorry you care about how 'pure' it is? I am pureblood, my father is a Squib. Does it matter?
❤ Do you still want to know more about me?
❤ Oh, and my big brother is a 5th year Ravenclaw.

❤ My directions say I am... {in Herbology III}
❤ My time on the clock is Thursday, Block 1
❤ And I am looking {like the adorable badger that I am!}

spaceCathy was never particularly fond of herbology. Between the fact that 1st year was absolutely traumatizing for her, between being told to set fire to plants that moved for no good reason-and it not even being mentioned about getting the plants' useful pus for potions (thank God, she actually listens to her brothers talks about school and classes all the time-then again he at least pretends to listen to her lectures about treating people nicely and smiling more and linguistics and history), and then her brother blowing up on the professor (no doubt) for making her cry, and then the professor having the audacity to compare herself to Cathy-when the professor had been a bit inept at her position-was horrifying to say the least. Cathy didn't mind professors favoring her to a point, but if it was too obvious it was awkward AND then the fact Cathy lived in London and didn't deal with plants and such and was more comfortable with city stuff usually than dirt and planting stuff... she wasn't too fond of herbology. But she of course tried her best and it wasn't like she was absolutely horrible in it.

When she skipped into class and took a seat next to Danica the intimidating professor didn't bother her one bit with his whole 'challenge me if you dare' and pompous air of 'I'm right and you are wrong'. Hell, considering she grew up with her brother, that sort of thing was normal. And her father did the same thing most of the time-granted he was an amazing surgeon and built a stellar well renown surgical practice-and her mum's family, well pride was as natural for them as breathing. She listened with a polite smile sitting primly as she lightly tapped a finger on the table. When Danica mentioned the incendio incident and spiky bushes Cathy smiled and offered after in her typical bright, unruffled tone, "Actually, the professor didn't even mention the usefulness of the Spiky Bush's spines-she was just all 'set these things on fire'. It was horrible. And wasteful. She looked at me like I was speaking Chinese when I mentioned the fact that doing that was wasteful and the spiky bushes were useful for some potions-I remember my brother mentioning it, thankfully. Good thing he pays attention to his text book. But seriously, I would have known if I was speaking Chinese to her. And I totally wasn't. But fire I suppose is generally a good way to kill a plant so we learned that from that professor."

She shrugged with an almost too innocent smile. Okay, so Cathy really disliked the professor, but she wasn't the type to actually flat out insult the professor-even if she thought the professor was inept and horrible in a lot of ways (or at least in Cathy's book).

(( OOC))
                                                          Quote:
                                                          Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 am
We have a flair for the shade and the inbetween...
We like to run with the wolves from the darker scene!
When we turn the safety off, the shots are automatic...
All our friends tell their friends we're so dramatic!
We'll have you wrapped around our trigger finger.
Clean key yellow, you're the target for our stinger!
We'll make you flinch, make it hurt just a little...
We're the boys and the girls and the freaks in the middle!

Please keep your victory: Infuriated
Just give me little death: Why is he here?!
I know that you're afraid of: Third Years
What I might be made of: Herbology

M O R V E N | G R A I N N E | V A S S
B L O O D T R A I T O R | S L Y T H E R I N | T H I R D Y E A R User Image

Morven was as far away from Professor (oh, that was riot) Hill as possible, and still in a state of teeth grinding disbelief. Why in hell's name was this man teaching? He didn't even seem to like his own pack members, never mind children. It was bad enough she had to deal with him and his glares once a month in the woods. That, combined with being forced to spend her transformations with him, her older sister's stupid Irish boyfriend, the obnoxious Hufflepuff twerp a year ahead of her... It would have all been too much were Morven not allowed to also kill things during that time. She was never exactly in her right mind then, so it was easier to let things go. Right now, however, she was very much completely human, completely sane, and struggling not to scream in frustration. She didn't care who he was- he'd never been her Alpha, not ever, and part of her was very much convinced she was going to be killed or at least ran out of the woods as soon as she was considered old enough to actually be a threat, rather than an annoyance- and him being her professor did not mean she was about to transform into the epitome of respect and deference. He sounded exactly like her father, and she hated her father, even more so now that he was dead. The only thing she so far agreed with him on was that their last Herbology professor had been an idiot of almost hilarious proportions. Morven had found the woman a mix between laughable and unbearably obnoxious, but she'd even take that over Jason. She bit down on her tongue so hard she felt like it was about to bleed, sat rigid and unmoving in her seat, refused to make eye contact with anyone, and forced the most impassive, deadened expression possible onto her face. If she opened her mouth, a critique of their last instructor was not what was going to come out.

IF YOU WANT TO RULE THE WORLD, YOU'VE GOT TO STOP PRETENDING.

We know the halls you walk are unforgiving.
It's not the kind of place to find your place among the living.
We have a plan, we've got the means for your liberation...
You'll only have to blur the lines on a few occasions...
We have the cure for your crisis, never patent pending!
If you come along with us the doors are never ending!
If you want to rule the world you've got to stop pretending!
We're the boys and the girls and the freaks in the middle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

x
                                    ████████████████xx αяιαηα εℓωσσ∂ xx███████xxxxalways forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so.

Third Year | | Thirteen | | Hufflepuff | | Single | | Metamorphmagus

Ariana was rather surprised to see another new herbology professor. It seemed every year they got a new one. This one, unlike the previous professors, scared Ariana a bit, however she wouldn't let that get in the way of her favourite class. She sat quietly and listened as the professor insulted the previous one and laid down his rules. Ariana didn't say anything, simply sitting quietly fiddling with her robe. She was actually too scared to speak...

uniform x ooc :: - - -

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:21 am
User Image
                                                I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
                                                I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
                                                I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
                                                I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do

User Image
                                                ════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ || Mᴜɢɢʟᴇ-Bᴏʀɴ

════════════════════════

Eli walked into class and promptly blinked. And blinked again. Well, this wasn't their old professor, and the guy kind of reminded him of a character from a horror movie. When the door shut and the tell-tale click of a lock engaging reached his ears, Eli blinked and then edged to his seat and sat down, suddenly feeling as though he were trapped with an axe-murderer. Only it wouldn't be axes, but one of the various plants in the greenhouse. Vaguely he wondered if that meant that they were all going to be poisoned, and Eli's thoughts then turned to the various things that could be used to poison them. Hopefully nothing too disfiguring. He'd heard that some poisons bloated someone up so bad that they were unrecognisable. Thankfully all that he heard was things that were being discussed about their last professor, and he shook his head, not wanting to think bad things about the woman, but she seemed to be out to lunch in his mind. Even more so than he supposedly was. He merely kept quiet with a hand on his wand, knowing that if the guy did turn out to be some sort of raging psychopath Eli would be ready.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Oh great, this guy is a murderer. The school hired a murderer!
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
                                                I believe that trust is more important than monogamy
                                                I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul
                                                I believe that family is worth more than money or gold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:42 am
º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
"I like swimming,"

¦Gunilda Stone¦
Slytherin Third-year

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
"Having fun,"

At least the old professor was fun and seemed nice enough Gunilda thought as she eyed the new teacher, who was a no-nonsense type. This is going to be a boring year, at least with this guy anyway, the slytherin watched the new guy and nodded lazily at what her fellow students said they had learnt agreeingly. What a waste of plant that was. She looked around the greenhouse idly, at first simply looking at some of the interesting plants- one of which she noticed was a puffapod -but soon noticed that a few people seemed a little...nervous. Is this all because of the new professor? I guess he's strict but all he did was lock us in, maybe he'll be alright down the line, the slytherin looked curiously towards Professor Hill, surprised that he had unnerved most of the class. Gunilda felt a tiny bit sorry for her fellow classmates; the albino, who she had bumped into before that years beginning of year feast, was staying as quiet as a mouse and seemed to have his wand at the ready, and some others, like Morven, had decided to simply stay as far away from the professor as possible. He's just a teacher, what's the worst he could do, make us eat a poisonous plant? Doubtful. Everyone needs to calm down already, Gunilda returned to studying the plant she believed was a puffapod, another plant her mother had handled.

Out Of Cauldrons:

"And trying my best"
º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

-Fizztastic Rain-

Golden Explorer

12,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Jason listened to the class, suddenly struck with the fact that he was grateful that the classroom seemed to actually have some intelligence. Which, amounted to the fact that the two girls that spoke up decided to reply that no, fire was not the best way to actually handle the plants they spoke of. He rolled his eyes, thinking that was obvious. "Yes yes, because everyone knows that fire is not a good means of extracting anything from a plant, save for some that actually require a hot enough blaze to release the seeds. At least that is a general consensus. Also, the Spiky Bush's thorns can be found in your standard ingredients for potions, considering that the thorns are used in most potions that have ever been created. The best way to care for them is to hit the plant with a stunning charm and trim the thorns when they get too big. The best indicator of a spiky bush's health is its thorns, which can become pale and translucent when ill, and careful sun and water will bring it back to health. The ones with brown thorns are wild and do not shoot their spikes, and the ones with yellow thorns are domesticated and can shoot them. They can be used for defence in many gardens."

Jason looked at the rest of the class, thinking there had to be more than that answering his questions. "Anyone else have a subject from last year or the year before that needs readdressing? Please, speak up. I do not read minds, and wouldn't wish ti even if I could." Jason crossed his arms and glared around the classroom, thinking that if he didn't start getting topics, he would start asking them himself.

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: Please let this group be semi-intelligent...
                                                      OOC:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:27 pm
User Image
                                                      User Image

════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ |❸| Gʀʏғғɪɴᴅᴏʀ |❸| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

Text

Dani chose to say nothing and not react when Professor Hill said everyone knew that fire wasn't the approach to use when dealing with the Spiky Bush. At the point in time, she'd known nothing about such things, and assumed Professor Watson was giving them legitimate information. It became clearer to her Professor Watson was an incompetent, and probably should never have had the Herbology chair here.

"Would you be willing to give us proper instruction on the Flutterby Bush, Professor?" she asked, after raising her hand. "I'm afraid our previous instructor's lesson on the subject was probably as dodgy as the one on the Spiky Bush, sir."

════════════════════════

OOC:

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 am
~ New Year ~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:46 am
User Image

User Image
                                                      ════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Jason took a seat on the table in front of the greenhouse. He watched as the students filed in, and he crossed his arms as he waited for everyone to find a seat. He wanted to get the lesson started early, considering that there was really nothing he viewed as needing to be reviewed. Then again, he also figured if students needed a refresher or assistance, they could easily find him in Hogsmeade or his office. He wasn't that far away, after all. To one side, there was a pot with a strange, broad-leafed plant nestled within. There were pots located on the tables for the students, and Jason waited until they were all seated before starting his lesson.

As the last students filed in, he flicked his wand, the doors shutting and locking immediately before he stood. His eyes bored into the children before him.
                                                      "Welcome back. As I assume that we do not need a refresher from last year, we are going on into this year's subject matters. After this year, you shall go on to Professor Thorne's classes, and I assume that you will have at least mastered the basics of the course. If you have not, then you need to schedule a time with me during the week I am at the school to get assistance. As you will be going to Hogsmeade this year, I expect you will find me at my shop during those weekends. You may also request assistance there, however, I will advise you that some of the plants there are more advanced than your current experience. If you wish to get extra house points, I challenge you to come there and ask for instruction in more advanced plants. I will not turn away students that wish to enrich their learning in that fashion. I will not accept incompetence or assumptions that you do not care about this subject matter. On the contrary, I will be most displeased if any of you manage to get below an Acceptable on your OWLs. Whether you like the class, or me as an instructor is of no consequence. The simple fact remains that you should strive to do your level best in the course, and strive to at least pass this course in your OWLs. After that, should you decide to continue Herbology is up to you. I will state that it is a distinct pleasure to watch something you have cultivated and assisted grow. However, your opinions on the subject may vary, and are of little consequence to me."

The werewolf ended his lecture on that subject with a gesture at the plant to his side. "Now, if you would care to take a look at the plant beside me, you will notice this seems like an ordinary weed. However, I wish to correct you on that assumption. This plant is known as a Puffapod. Puffapods are an annual plant that are a common sight in many wizarding gardens. They are most particular in that their pods, when they make contact with a solid object, burst into bloom. They are the only species of plant known to start their lives out as a flower before they become the plants you see before you now. After they bloom, the remainder of their lifespan is spent germinating new pods. These pods, when used in potions, are highly useful as a fast-acting agent to speed up the brewing process." He looked around the class before continuing. "For the rest of your time today, I would like for you to each plant a Puffapod pod and bury it before it blooms. This process is particularly tricky with the plant's propensity to spontaneously burst, so extra care must be taken in handling your pods. You must be gentle with the plants, as jostling them may invite a premature burst. I will of course monitor your progress, and should you require assistance or need a new pod, you may raise your hand for it."

════════════════════════
                                                      Thinking: New year, same students...
                                                      OOC:

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Deviled Dregs

Wealthy Lunatic

7,375 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:05 am
User Image
Dylan
Burgamy

RavenclawThird Year13 Years OldSingle │ Chaser

Dylan walked to the greenhouse on his first class of the day, finding himself to be one of the first. He personally hated having classes during block one, but at least the walk outside towards the greenhouse woke him up completely, and he'd be able to focus. He took a seat at a table, listening to Professor Hill's introduction. Dylan wasn't completely sure about the new professor his class would be getting next year through the end of their time at Hogwarts. Dylan had almost grown accustomed to the wolfish man, despite his intimidating appearance and serious demeanor.

He also mentioned the whole extra help that he was sure everyone knew by now. Even though Herbology wasn't his absolute favorite subject, he could tolerate it enough to actually concentrate on it and do well. Besides, his mother would crucify him if he did especially bad on any subject due to laziness.

As he set them to their task, he dug out a hole, gently taking the pod and placing it inside of the hole, slowly, very slowly, starting to push some of the dirt he had dug out back in, quicker and quicker as he heard the pod making a strange sound.

Quote:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm
User Image

Arianna made her way cautiously into class. It wasn't the plants that freaked her out it was the teacher. She couldn't quite place her finger on it but there was something in her that always told her not to be alone with him. The red head quickly glanced around the room and sighed with relief realizing there was at least one other person there. How that would help her she didn't know but it comforted her just slightly. She found herself a seat closest to the door just like last year. She wanted to be close enough to escape at all times... Even if the professor locked the door.

Ari sat quietly and listened to the scary professor's lecture only daring to look away to take a few notes. Soon he set them loose to begin the repotting process. The Gryffindor watched a few students begin and then began herself.  

amo10690

Greedy Shopper

7,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:02 pm
User Image
ıllıllı ωєи∂у мα∂єℓιиє ¢нαιѕту ıllıllı
3я∂ уєαя ѕℓутнєяιи
ρυяєвℓσσ∂ αи∂ вяαи¢н мємвєя σf тнє ανєяу fαмιℓу

As Expected>

Wendy didn't particularly hate herbology. The class was useful for potions, obviously, as good ingredients anyone with some common sense about potions could tell you were critical in making a properly potent, accurate, and flawless potion. And, quite frankly, Wendy did like the outdoors and the greenhouses and working with plants. It was soothing. And as for the occasional dirt on her shoes or under her nails or hands, there were simple cleaning charms to solve that problem.

She stepped into the greenhouse, taking a seat by herself, tucking her skirt under her, as she fixed her typically expressionless gaze she most often opted for on the grizzled professor. She wasn't going to take the man up on the offer of wasting the time to drag herself to Hogsmeade to essentially be free hard labor for him for something as petty as 'practice' or 'extra credit' but that was her. Some students no doubt needed it. Listening as the professor began the lesson at hand, introducing the Puffapod, she nodded only slightly as he made the reference to their usefulness in potion brewing, before like the other students she began to work on re-potting one of the Puffapod pods before they bloomed.

Handling it with care and calm hands a look of pure concentration, Wendy began to work with the Puffapod pod she had chosen for the assignment...

{ OoC }

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items