Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Private Homes
The Grey Family Townhouse

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=24560329

The Grey Family Townhouse is located in the city of Waterford, county seat of Waterford County, Ireland. It is in a wealthy part of the city, located on a street where there are several other townhouses. It is the property of Hugh and Livinia Grey, and is considered their primary residence, even though they also own a farm, where they primarily breed prize-winning Irish Wolfhounds, and a few horses, near the neighboring town of Tremere.

The Grey Townhouse is a three-storey structure, constructed of red brick with a black shingled roof, and closely resembles the other townhouses on the block. The property has a small front lawn with a sidewalk leading to a set of concrete steps which go up to the front door. At the edge of the property is a six-foot high wrought iron fence, painted with a rust-resistant black paint.

At the back of the property is an equally small backyard with an unattached garage. Inside the garage is kept a car, usually driven by Hugh.

The first floor features an entry hall, living room, and formal dining room. At the back is a kitchen with attached breakfast nook, and half-bath.

On the second floor is a large room given over as a study and library. Usually this is the domain of Hugh Grey where he conducts his business. The room has a large mahogany desk, and is lined with shelves full of books, both of a magical and mundane nature. Magical books, and books which are considered quite rare and valuable are kept inside a locked, glass-fronted cabinet. Both Hugh and Livinia are collectors of rare and antique books.

The second floor is where the house's main bathroom is located, with a full-size tub, and other amenities.

The third floor is where the bedrooms are located, including a guest room. Hugh and Livinia have the master bedroom, while their daughters each have their own bedroom. The master bedroom has its own balcony, which overlooks the back of the property, and the sea is visible from there. Their butler, Seamus, has his own room on this level, as does their maid. On this floor is also a half-bath.

Since her adoption was completed, a new room has been added for Selina's use. Her room is large enough it has both a large bed and a daybed (for a guest), as well as a couple comfortable armchairs. She has a desk and chair, as well as several bookshelves, holding her personal collection of books as well as her mother's magical texts. Over by a large bay window, which looks upon the ocean, Selina has her area set aside for her art, with a table and racks for art supplies. In addition plants in hanging pots are positioned around the room.

Above the occupied levels is the garret, which is used for the storage of extra furniture and the belongings. The garret is accessed by a folding ladder mounted in the ceiling of the third floor.

There is also a full basement, with laundry facilities, and the furnace.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:07 pm
Current residents of the Grey Family Townhouse:

Hugh Grey

Livinia Grey

Siobhan Grey

Fianna Grey

Selina Grey

Servants:

Seamus (butler and major domo)

Maid (also acts as the family cook)  

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:11 pm
Notes and history: When I come up with them.

Pets: The family owns a large tufted Great Horned Owl named Malcador, while Livinia has a Half-Neasle cat named Macavity.

Selina is accompanied by a Half-Neasle cat named Hepzibah, a long-haired cat with seal-point Birman markings. During the summer, a pair of dogs (whom are strongly suspected as being of Crup blood, due to their intelligence and certain odd behaviors displayed in conjunction with the presence of their mistress), pure-bred (we, think) Irish Wolfhounds, Lugh and Cuchulain, will take up residence, always showing up unbidden the morning after Selina returns from school, and they act as her bodyguards while she's at home.

Siobhan has recently acquired a small black and white kitten she has named 'Evan'. The kitten was rescued by Selina from the Ministry examiners whom were using him as a test subject for the Transfiguration OWLs. Evan's pedigree is, at this point, unknown, though its possible he is Half-Kneazle.

Fianna has a Half-Kneazle orange tabby named 'Daniel', a gift from Selina for receiving her acceptance letter from Hogwarts.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 pm
User Image
                                                    User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════
                                                    Fɪʀsᴛ Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅰ| Uɴsᴏʀᴛᴇᴅ |Ⅰ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

‘It can’t be too much further now; places are starting to look familiar…

It was this thought Selina focused upon as she trudged wearily along the streets of Waterford. Her journey was made easier by the warm, tourist season weather; bright sunny skies and gentle brine-kissed breezes were certainly kinder than what she could have seen along her way. Yet fair weather did nothing to make the final leg of her travels any less arduous. Long ago, Selina stopped counting the miles she walked, or the days she travelled, instead concentrating solely upon putting one foot in front of the other, and the certain knowledge her journey was at least one pace closer to its completion.

Her journey started days before when a majestic-looking owl arrived at her sanctuary, bearing her letter from Hogwarts. Her sanctuary had been an old stone cottage located in one of the abandoned villages deep in Ireland’s beautiful Lake Country, many miles distant from where people lived these days. As it seemed to be with all the wild places of her ancient homeland, the land was one of stark contrasts with its almost impenetrably dark forests, bright green grasslands, great gray boulders scattered about at all manner of odd places, and the peaceful lakes whose deep, still waters seemed at once natural and perhaps were the interstiticies to eldritch places only whispered of by the storytellers of old.

When people lived last in these old stone structures, famine was the scourge of these lands, as the potato crops they so depended upon for their survival failed in a deepening cycle of blight, death and despair. Many of the villagers chose to take their chances, giving up their homes and trying their luck in the New World. As the populaces of these villages dwindled, as they perished from the famine, or immigrated to the United States, their abandoned homes were slowly reclaimed by the land. Soon enough these places, where once there was life and laughter, became desolate haunts where only ghosts seemed to have dominion.

Selina found one of these desolate villages when she journeyed here, after the night which haunted her dreams as much as the voices of the long-dead townies seemed to whisper upon the nocturnal breezes as they wafted through the abandoned streets. ‘The night I killed my parents,’ Selina needlessly reminded herself, with her damning self-indictment.

They’d argued earlier that evening, particularly she and her father. The two of them had been at odds since her baby brother died; though he’d never come out and said as much, Selina knew in her heart he believed she should have perished as Robert had, poisoned by the malfunctioning furnace in the basement of their home in Tremere, which also nearly claimed her and their housekeeper as well. Her father was concerned for the presence of a young witch in his house; though he’d married a witch and was a Squib himself, he believed there was something fundamentally wrong with his little daughter.

His solution to the problem was to see Selina separated from the influences in her life he felt were causing her more harm than good, and he resolved to have her shipped off to a Catholic boarding school in Dublin. Of course, her father had to know her mother and Mother Grey would not remain silent on such a drastic change in her schooling and living situation, and though she knew her mother’s family would almost assuredly intercede on her behalf, it didn’t make Selina feel any less hurt, any less betrayed, and no less angry…

The scene was there in her mind, as it always seemed to be, lurking in her subconscious, to be replayed in an endless loop, indelibly etched and inalterable, as though set in stone. Selina watched as her parents’ car backed down the driveway, her slim body shaking with resentment. Inevitably, she felt a wash of arcane power surge through her, given form and lease in the moment of her anger. Flame coursed around her body, before leaping away, eagerly seeking a convenient target upon which to feast. An instant later she heard a loud explosion, and her parents’ car enveloped in an all-consuming greasy orange fireball.

Even now, Selina felt the heat from the explosion pass over her, just as she did the horror at what she’d done to her mother and father. Fearful of the deserved wrath the Aurors would surely levy upon her, Selina chose to run back inside the house. Hurriedly, Selina crammed clothes, a few mementos and more useful items into her backpack, before slipping out a back window. As the local firefighters arrived on the scene to douse the burning car, hot tears ran down Selina’s face as she fled the only home she’d ever known.

Selina closed her eyes and forced the fiery images back to the dark corners of her mind. ‘I do not need to keep seeing their deaths to know I’m responsible,’ she told herself, ‘my guilt is already etched upon my soul.’ The red-haired girl leaned against the side of a building, pausing to catch her breath and gather her strength, and wait out the dizzy spell which sought to overwhelm her before going any further.

As she pressed her back to the side of the old brick building, and bright bits of light flickered across the field of her vision like distant lightning, Selina wondered, not for the first time. ‘Why did I receive my letter? Surely they know what I’ve done, the Aurors are many things but they are not fools. The Ministry which put an end to the Dark Lord wouldn’t allow somebody like me loose in the halls of Hogwarts. Maybe they sent me the letter to draw me out, it would explain much; why search all of Eire for me when they can simply claim me some place at a time of their choosing?

While she leaned against the cool brickwork, her companion gave a worried sounding meow, and the long-haired cat with light beige fur and seal-point colouration, gave her soft hand a gentle lick and a rub with the side of her head. Selina glanced down and saw her diminutive ally was stretching herself along the wall to reach up and paw at her arm. “I’ll be okay, Hepzibah,” she said breathily. “Just needed to rest a minute, okay?”

A few nights after she arrived in the abandoned village, during the middle of a thunderstorm was when she first made the acquaintance of the Birman she’d since named Hepzibah. While she was sitting close by the fireplace in the cottage, cooking her supper, she heard an insistent scratching at the door. Investigating the sound, she discovered the cat huddled in the doorway, her beautiful fur coat absolutely drenched from the pouring rains. When the cat let out an absolutely piteous- sounding meow, Selina scooped her up in her arms and brought her inside.

After drying off the cat’s long fur as best as she could with a towel, Selina poured a bit of broth and meat from the coney stew she managed to put together into a bowl, and set it down for the cat. Since that stormy night, Selina was never alone again, and the cat chose to accompany her on her journey. Unlike a dog, the cat never simply followed Selina, but was content to walk by her side. More than a companion, Hepzibah was a friend and a partner.

When she was certain she could continue without fainting on the sidewalk, Selina emerged from the narrow alley she’d been walking down. Immediately she found herself amongst the bustling lunchtime crowd as they passed in front of a row of several businesses, including a restaurant. The aroma of freshly cooked corned beef and potatoes was nearly enough to cause the young girl to faint right there on the sidewalk, to her it smelled as though a bit of Heaven had been cast before her.

‘Haven’t had corned beef since Mom made it,’ she thought longingly, as she drank in the delicious scent of the cooking meat. ‘Maybe Aunt Livinia will make some for me when I get there … if I get there.’ It also reminded her it had been a while since she’d eaten last, having finished the last of the wild potatoes and carrots she’d packed for the journey for her supper … ‘The days are running together,’ thought Selina, when she was unable to figure out how long ago supper had been. ‘I’m not sure how much further I can keep walking. Whatever has been keeping me going won’t last much longer, I fear.’

Hepzibah’s whiskers twitched and her tongue flicked across her lips in a feline imitation of a very human act. The cooking meat and even the grease the potatoes were swimming in, smelled way better than the mice and birds or the jerkied bits of rabbit she’d been dining on lately. Rather than maybe attempt to filch a bit of the food for herself and her human, Hepzibah continued to walk along with Selina.

People were passing the girl to either side, none of which acknowledged her presence amongst them. A large man in a business suit rushed past Selina close enough to catch her with the side of his briefcase, nearly knocking her down in his haste. She saw a young mother taking hold of her two youngsters to steer them in a direction away from her.

“Mommy!” cried one of the little kids, a small boy wearing a pair of shorts and a football jersey, pointing excitedly at Hepzibah. “Look at the pretty kitty-cat, Mommy! Can I pet it, puleeeeze?”

The very idea of allowing the child with his grubby, sticky fingers, as the cat could see he had hands still coated with dirt and whatever he had for lunch, was enough to make Hepzibah’s fur twitch with horror. As the mother continued to nudge her children in another direction, the cat rushed to keep up with her human, and quickly realized she didn’t need to hurry.

Selina was walking in front of a large storefront window when she caught sight of her reflection. What she saw there shocked her enough to make her stop, stare, and wonder if she was truly gazing upon the image of a stranger instead of her own.

The first impression she got was how rail-thin she actually was, her face gaunt and streaked with grime, and her gray eyes seemed almost luminescent even in the light of day. Her long red hair, where once was always kept neatly brushed out, was wild and unkempt, hanging nearly to her waist, with strands floating freely in the warm sea breeze. Then there were her clothes, the pink hooded jacket she wore was so filthy she could barely tell what colour it was, her jeans weren’t any cleaner, and her sneakers were as worn out as their wearer.

Hepzibah stared owlishly at her reflection, sat down on the sidewalk and started preening her fur with her scratchy pink tongue while she waited for her ally to start doing the same. After a couple moments, and glancing over to see all Selina was doing was staring at herself, she let out a loud Siamese sounding yowl. If they weren’t staying to eat, and if Selina wouldn’t take care of her appearance, then they probably needed to continue on their way

No wonder people are trying to avoid me,’ Selina mused, ‘I look like a street urchin. Heck, I look like ‘Annie’ with a worse makeup job, if you don’t mind having a cat replacing Sandy. I’d best not dally around too long, the last thing I need is getting hassled by the Muggle police, and Aunt Livinia would be embarrassed beyond words if she had to claim me looking like this.’ It took a supreme exercise of will for Selina to put the restaurant behind her, and keep walking.

It can’t be much further now …

*****************************************************************************************

With a sure hand, Mother Grey drew another card from the tarot deck and placed it above the diamond-pattern of cards in the center of the dining room table. “She comes, though she is unsure of the way, and whether she has the will to finish her journey,” she intoned solemnly, but taking up the bone china tea cup at her side. “We need be but patient,” she added serenely before taking a dainty sip of the hot chamomile tea there in.

Dressed in a long ruffled skirt, and brocaded linen blouse, Mother Grey very much looked the part of a country gentry-woman, while a profusion of amulets and charms hung about her neck on golden chains spoke of her long experience with the making such items for good fortune and protection. There were those whom mistook her for being some sort of gypsy; she would merely smile and leave them blissful in their ignorance. She was an older lady, appearing to be in her mid-sixties, with long almost iron-gray hair, a careworn face etched with fine lines, and cool steel-gray eyes.

In the next room two others were seated on a couch. One was a middle-aged woman whose long red hair was streaked with tinges of age. Tall and slender, she was dressed in a navy blue business suit and a pair of black pumps. The other with her was a man with a receding hairline, wire-rimmed glasses, a querulous look on his face and an expensive looking business suit. It was he whom fixed the older woman with an unamused look, and told her “Madam Grey, I thought you told me you would be able to produce your granddaughter today. If you are unable to do so, then I should like to conclude these matters in a succinct a fashion as possible. I have other clients to attend to, as I’m certain you are aware.”

The older woman bristled visibly when referred to as ‘Madam’, and she returned the lawyer’s unhappy look with one akin to molten anger. Instantly realizing his error, he bowed his head slightly, and said, “Forgive me, I meant ‘Mother Grey’.” With the acknowledgement of his mistake, her expression softened, and she said softly, “You were raised in the Old Ways, and you used to know better. Have you walked amongst Muggles so long you’ve perhaps forgotten what it means to be with those of the Gift?”

“I meant no disrespect, Mother Grey,” said the lawyer politely. “I meant only to remind you that you are not the only clients I must visit today.” The older lady gave a dignified sniff, and said remindingly, “Your family has handled the legal affairs of ours for well over two and a half centuries; I should think we have earned the privilege of a measure of your indulgence. My granddaughter will be here at the appointed time, have no fear of that.”

The lawyer had his doubts about the older woman’s prognosticative abilities, and considered appealing to the younger one until he reminded himself she was Mother Grey’s daughter. Instead he drew a deep breath and started polishing the lenses of his glasses with a square of bit of cloth from a pocket. “Perhaps you would like some tea while we wait?” offered the younger woman. The lawyer nodded, and replied politely, “That would be appreciated, thank you.”

After a few minutes, one of the servants presented the lawyer with a steaming cup of tea. Though he was putting a good face on it, he wasn’t at all pleased at the delay in getting their business concluded, and the longer he was made to wait the more he wondered if there was more going on than he was being told. As he glanced again at his pocket watch, he heard soft tapping coming from the direction of the entry hall.

Mother Grey had just placed another tarot card on the table before her; she smiled when she heard the knock at the door. “Well, Livinia, dear, aren’t you going to answer the door? I’m certain your niece has had a long journey.”

*****************************************************************************************

… for the road is long, and I have many miles to go, and promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.’ The words of the old Robert Frost poem Selina read in school ran through her head, or at least as much of it as she could dredge up from memory. In some ways it felt as though her days at primary school took place long ago and to somebody else.

Selina turned the last corner, and smiled tiredly when she recognized the street she was on, and knew her destination was near at hand. She was swaying slightly on her feet, and little sparking bits of light seemed to dance before her eyes. “We’re nearly there, Hepzibah,” she said to her feline friend; as much for herself as she did to let the cat know what was going on. The long-haired Birman nuzzled Selina’s leg encouragingly in response. Drawing a deep breath, Selina forced herself to put one foot before the other.

As Selina continued along the sidewalk, she tried hard not to think about how much her back and her legs ached, or how tired and desperately thirsty and hungry she was. Instead she focused simply on keeping her pace, and getting to her aunt’s townhouse. She was glad to see there weren’t people roaming around the quiet street, as there was when she dragged herself through one of Waterford’s business districts; nobody to gawk at her disheveled appearance, and nobody else pretending she wasn’t there.

What if Aunt Livinia and Uncle Hugh aren’t home?’ Selina asked herself, as a pang of panic clutched at her heart. ‘I don’t want anybody finding me on their doorstep, and I don’t want for Aunt Livinia to be embarrassed by me.’ The houses along the street were fronted with wrought iron fences, and Selina opened the gate when she stopped in front of one of them. She shuffled up the sidewalk to the front steps, before grabbing the iron railing, and using it to help her climb them.

Selina leaned heavily against the door jamb, and gasped for breath as another dizzy spell washed over her. ‘I can’t just pass out here,’ she thought muzzily, as she willed herself to remain standing. She knocked on the door, and breathed a prayer someone was there to answer. After a moment, which felt much longer than it really was, she heard the lock being turned, and saw the door being opened.

Instead of her aunt or uncle, she saw a balding man whose dark brown hair was streaked through with strands of silver and white. He wore black trousers, a gray vest, and a white dress shirt, whose sleeves were currently rolled up. Selina recognized him instantly, and she said in a dry, hoarse whisper, “Seamus, am I glad to see you. Is my aunt home?” The butler replied in a neutral tone, “Miss Selina, it is always a pleasure to see you when you visit us. Yes, your aunt and your grandmother are present; you might even say you’ve been expected.”

Bone weary as she was, Selina wasn’t able to make sense of the butler’s off-hand comment. ‘There’s no way they could have known I’d be here right now, I didn’t know I would be here,’ she thought tiredly. “May I come in?” Selina asked politely. Seamus answered, “Of course, Miss Selina.” Before anyone knew what was going on, Hepzibah darted over Selina’s feet, and was through the doorway. Selina managed to straighten up, and step inside the house.

“And miles to go before I sleep,” Selina muttered, repeating the last line of the ‘Road Less Travelled’ by Robert Frost, as she hobbled into the entry hall. “Selina? Selina, is that you?” she heard her aunt ask of her. Selina wanted to give her aunt an appropriate greeting, but it was then she felt the last of whatever strength she had ebb from her, like water emptying from a tub whose plug had just been pulled. The young girl sank to her knees, before collapsing on the floor, already unconscious.

Acting quickly, Seamus managed to catch the young girl by the shoulders before her head struck the hard wooden floor. Livinia rushed into the entry hall, and knelt down beside the fallen girl. “Selina,” she said urgently, as she patted the girl’s cheek to try to revive her,” come on, baby, wake up.” Despite her efforts, Selina’s head merely lolled. It didn’t take long for Livinia to figure out her young niece wasn’t going to stir any time soon.

“My God,” gasped the lawyer as he rushed into the entry hall, shortly after Livinia did. “Is this your granddaughter?” Selina was sprawled on the floor, more resembling a puppet whose strings had been cut than a girl, and he was horrified by her ashen complexion. Mother Grey nodded her head, as she got down beside the unconscious child. “I told you my granddaughter would be here at the appointed hour, and here she is.” The lawyer replied, “We’d better send for a Medi-Wizard, or she won’t be with us for much longer.”

“I’ve seen to folk worse off than this,” Mother Grey replied dismissively. “If she needs more help than I can give, I’ll be the judge. Besides, it would be best for her to be taken care of by family than by strangers. Seamus, if you would, please take my granddaughter up to the spare bedroom. I need to fetch my potions if’n I’m to be of any good to her. Livinia, since Selina has arrived, perhaps now we can start taking care of the legal matters we’ve been discussing.”

════════════════════════
                                                    OOC:

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:17 pm
User Image
                                                    User Image
                                                    ════════════════════════
                                                    Fɪʀsᴛ Yᴇᴀʀ |Ⅰ| Uɴsᴏʀᴛᴇᴅ |Ⅰ| Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ

════════════════════════

The first thing Selina was aware of as consciousness slowly seeped into her was a sensation of wet sandpaper being rubbed across her nose. She groaned softly as she turned her head and pulled a face but still the rubbing persisted, working its way from the side of her nose to one of her cheeks. Selina opened her eyes and was rewarded with a blurry view of her surroundings, with a beige blur dominating. She heard a distinct miaow, followed by something soft and furry rubbing the side of her face, and then a loud throaty purr.

“Hepzibah?” Selina murmured softly, and was rewarded with a loud miaow in response, and she felt the long-haired cat start nuzzling the side of her face. “Okay, okay,” she said softly, “I’m awake, I’m awake … I think. W-where are we anyway?” She chuckled ironically, as she realized how foolish her question was; even in the Wizarding World there were no talking cats. Selina started stroking the cat’s long fur absentmindedly, as she waited for her eyes to start bringing things into focus for her.

The bedroom was dark and quiet, with the only light being what daylight managed to make through the thick curtains covering the window. She lay in a large bed, under a warm comforter, her head on a cloud soft pillow, and there was large form at the end of the bed keeping her feet toasty warm. It took her a moment to recognize she was in the spare bedroom in her aunt’s house, and the large body was …”Lugh?” she whispered.

The instant his name was said, the big Irish wolfhound lifted his head, and ‘wuff’ed softly. He got up and walked the length of the bed, and started sniffing at Selina. She started laughing as the dog licked her face, while Hepzibah retreated to her spot on the pillow, right above Selina’s head. A second wolfhound seemingly appeared out of nowhere at the side of the bed, and used his snout to slip his head under the girl’s hand to get her to pet him.

Livinia opened the bedroom door, as she heard laughter as was passing by, and peered inside. Her niece was more animated right then than she’d been in the last two days since she collapsed in her foyer. The two wolfhounds were getting the attention from her they’d been wanting since her mother brought them back to the townhouse. Meanwhile the cat, whom showed up with her niece, was standing on the pillow with hackles, growling softly, not at all pleased to have to share the space with two dogs.

Normally Lugh and Cu Cuchlainn stayed at the cottage, where they were tasked with watching over the property over there; however, when Selina visited her grandmother the two wolfhounds became her personal bodyguards. Mother Grey decided it was a nice idea to bring the dogs over to the townhouse, knowing it would be good for her granddaughter to see them when she woke up. Since they arrived, the two faithful dogs watched over the sleeping girl, resting and standing vigil in shifts, while taking turns to eat.

We should have had them track her down, they wouldn’t have given up until they found her,’ thought Livinia soberly. ‘Would have saved us a year of wondering what happened to her.’ She stepped into the room, went over to the bed, and sat on the edge of it. Selina looked up at her, and said quietly, “Aunt Livinia?” The older woman smiled at her niece, as she brushed aside the errant strands of red hair away from her gray eyes. “That’s right,” she replied. “You’ve been asleep for a while there, dear. I was starting to wonder if we needed to call the priest to give you last rites.”

“How long was I asleep?” Selina asked. Livinia replied, “Nearly three days, dear. I was worried you wouldn’t wake up at all.”

“I wasn’t worried at all,” said Mother Grey, as she stepped into the bedroom. “I told that lawyer I’ve cared for folk worse off, and I told you she would awaken when she was ready.” Selina had a thoughtful look in her eyes, and then told her aunt and grandmother, “I don’t have two days to lie around. I need to be getting ready for school; the train leaves at the first of the month.” Livinia gave her niece an appraising look, and asked, “Train? What train would that be, dear?”

Selina answered quietly, “The Hogwarts Express, Aunt Livinia.” The older woman nodded sagely, and glanced toward her mother; she’d figured it would be the answer, but she wanted to hear it from her niece before assuming anything. Mother Grey smiled and asked rhetorically, “You received your letter, didn’t you, child?” Selina nodded, and said, “It’s the reason why I came back.”

“Why did you run off in the first place?” Livinia asked, as she ran her hand across the girl’s forehead, and then her cheeks. She saw the haunted look in her young niece’s eyes, and as tears started to roll down her cheeks and the sides of her face, Selina answered with a quavering tone, “I killed Mom and Dad … I-I swear I didn’t mean to do it, but I ba-blew them up. I was angry, and my magic got out of control, and I saw the magic fire appear, and the car blew up, and I knew the Aurors would come for me, and I knew they would send me to Azkaban, and I knew they’d let the dementors suck out my soul.”

“Now we know why the patch of grass by the front door was scorched, Livvie,” said Mother Grey thoughtfully. “The Aurors never came for you, did they, child?” Selina shook her head. “No, they didn’t,” she said. Mother Grey replied in a gentle tone, “Would it because, perhaps you didn’t do anything wrong, dear? Did that ever occur to you?” The young girl shook her head again, and said, “I saw what happened, and I know what I did.”

Livinia used a tissue to sop up the tears streaking down her niece’s face, and she said, “The car blew up because there was something wrong with it, dear; there was no magic involved. Not only did the Aurors check, but the Ministry conducted their own investigation, and all you did was burn a bit of grass on the front lawn. No magic you could even possibly have done would have been enough to hurt your parents. It would have been too far away.”

Selina’s mind reeled as she considered what she was told, knowing now her year of exile need not to have taken place. However, she also knew had she not made her journey, she would never met Hepzibah, nor would she have been tested as she was in mind, body and soul. She survived where it was likely other witches her age would perished, though not without cost. Wiping away her tears, she asked resolutely, “So what is to become of me, then, Aunt Livinia? I have no home to go to now, do I?”

“Your parents’ home is yours now,” replied her aunt, “if you wish to still live there.” Selina’s face blanched, and she shook her head, “No, I don’t. Mom and Dad died there, so did Robert. There aren’t enough good memories to outweigh the bad.” Livinia nodded in agreement, and said, “Figured you’d say as much. The family attourney can handle the sale of the property, just as he’s probated your parents’ other belongings. He’s arranging a trust fund in your name, and you’ll find there will be a tidy sum of Galleons at Gringotts in your name next time we go to Diagon Alley, once you’re well enough to travel, of course.”

“So I’ve just decided to sell off my parent’s house,” said Selina soberly, realizing she just made herself truly homeless. “Now, I really have nowhere to go.” Livinia glanced toward to Mother Grey, whom simply nodded. “Uncle Hugh and I have discussed the matter, and we’ve decided to adopt you,” Livinia explained. “This will be your home now. Once the paperwork is completed, your father’s name will be dropped, and you will be simply ‘Selina Grey’.” Livinia gestured with a hand and added, “This will be your room.”

“Can I have my bed, and my books here, then?” asked Selina. Livinia smiled, and replied, “It will all be here waiting for you when you come back from Hogwarts over Christmas break.” Selina nodded; it would feel more like a home for her once she was surrounded by her books. “I’ll want Mom’s books too, particularly her magic books.”

Livinia chuckled, and replied, “Don’t worry, dear, they’ll all be here. Is there anything else you want?” Before Selina could come up with an answer, her stomach rumbled a reminder to her that it hadn’t been filled in days now. In a plaintive tone she asked, “Could make some of your corned beef, please?”

════════════════════════
                                                    OOC:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:48 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

¢єяι ∂ανιєѕ
ѕιχтн уєαя нυffℓєρυff
ρяєfє¢т

ℓєт'ѕ нι∂є συяѕєℓνєѕ fяσм єνєяуσиє
נυѕт тαкє му нαи∂ αи∂ ωє ¢αи яυи

αѕ мσмєитѕ fяєєzє ℓєт'ѕ мαкє вєℓιєνє
ωє'ℓℓ αℓωαуѕ вє fσяєνєя уσυиg

ѕσσи тнє иιgнт ωιℓℓ ¢σмє, συя ѕιℓнσυєттєѕ ιи тнє ѕєттιиg ѕυи

The big barn owl that was often seen in the presence of Ceri Davies landed on a tree near the townhouse belonging to the Grey Family. The bird watched the building for a moment before he spotted his query and took flight once again. Landing at her window, the bird tapped the glass, hooting to the girl inside. He bore a message for Selina, sent by his owner Ceri. Tied to his leg, the letter read:

Letter
Dear Selina,
How is your summer going? Mine has been rather droll lately. I got my O.W.L. grades and I'm happy with them. But we can discuss that later. I was wondering if you'd want to come to my house this summer. I have a quest that I need your help with. We shouldn't have to worry about my wicked stepmother either. She's taken a vacation to somewhere and will gone most of the summer. I think she just wants to get away from me. Regardless, I have the house to myself. If you want to come by, you can floo here. I cleared the area so now it can be used. Send a letter back with Tirol if you want to come.

Regards,
Ceri

ι fєєℓ тнє нєαт, тнє ѕυммєя ѕ¢єиє
ℓιкє ѕтαи∂ιиg ιи α ℓινιиg ∂яєαм
ℓιкє fℓαѕнιиg ℓιgнтѕ fяσм мσνιє ѕ¢яєєиѕ

тнιѕ fєєℓѕ ѕσ яιgнт ι ¢αи'т вєℓιєνє
ωє ѕιт ѕσ ѕтιℓℓ, ѕσ ¢ℓσѕє, ѕσ иєαя

тнєѕє нєαятѕ ωιℓℓ ωανє ѕσ ℓσυ∂ αи∂ ¢ℓєαя
ℓєт'ѕ ¢ℓσѕє συя єуєѕ αи∂ ∂ιѕαρρєαя.

{συт σf ¢нαяα¢тєя: ...}

SummerIsles

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 pm
Scout
Emma's Burrowing Owl

User Image

Scout was given two letters one for Hannah and one for Cordelia. It was a pretty challenging flying from London to not only the Cotswolds but then Ireland. However the Burrow Owl was up to the task. His first stop was Hannah’s since the family had an owl of their own. Flapping his wings as quick as he could muster it took the bird some time but he made it. Though before Scout knew it the letter was delivered and he was off again this time to Cora’s home in the Cotswold.

The letter read...

Emma
Hannah its Emma writing. I can’t believe my uncle. He’s making me go to my parents. As if I’d ever want to after being rejected. You remember the story about when I turned seven and found out I was magic, right? Honestly I don’t see it getting any better. Sure I don’t mind spending time with my mum, but why do I have to spend time with my father. He’s awful! I wish my uncle would just let me use studying as an excuse. Anyways I’m going to be prisoner for a whole week, two if they decide to keep me longer while I’m there. I hope not. My uncle says he’ll make it up to me, here’s hopping.

Talk to you later, Emma

OOC: Figured since I said Emma was writing letters that I should write letters. That way we're all in the same loop. smile
Also seeing as Hannah and Emma are best friends I don't see why Emma won't have told Hannah about what happened like she did Cora.

Graydon Ironshield

Private Homes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff