Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Diagon Alley
× ✖ × Ollivander's :: Open :: Hiring Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:20 pm

User Image♜♖
EDEN RHYS HARPER

fourth year || Hufflepuff || muggleborn
Dueling Club sharpshooter || Namaste Club beginner || Quidditch reserve

Back a few steps, Eden watched the interaction. Some part of him knew, of course, that Mattie could do this by herself without him here at all. But the other part liked to believe he could still be useful by being there. Maybe he would notice something...something...

Or maybe not. Either way, he kept a vigilant eye on his baby sister's first steps into the wizarding world.

setting Ollivanders, Early summer 2051 || with Mattie
appearance 5’1”, 125 lbs || wearing Dark jacket and shirt, beige pants
status Excited for Mattie getting her wand and wondering what she'll be matched with

Cara MiaKitty

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
I would die
Without regret, I’d offer up my life
With zero reservations
I would fly
Into the sun
If that would keep our dream alive
♖♜
~"Hero" from RWBY, sung by Caleb Hyles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:54 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
❅ "Mattie" ❅ Matilda Rose Harper ❅
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxx❅Unsorted First Year Hogwarts Student ❅ Muggleborn ❅ Little Sister ❅ Fighter and Dreamer❅
Time: Summer 2051
Company: Eden Harper
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

"Depends on what you call writing for me," joked Mattie, happy to have an adult actually seem to look at her as a person. "My right hand writing is at least legible in a pinch... mostly." It was so cool that the Wandmaker was like her when it came to handedness. She looked back to her brother with a large free smile without fear of being proper. Now that she knew what it felt like to be a part of this magical world she was confident she would have died just living in the box her parents built for her. But no, she wasn't going to think about bad what ifs, she was going to focus on this important step into her true future. She didn't know if bad thoughts would taint the wand getting process, but she wasn't about to risk it.

Mattie nodded bowing her head slightly to Mr. Edgeworth as he handed her the proposed wand. It was two inches longer than Eden's and besides that didn't seem to have no comparison beyond the obvious they were wooden and had a magical core of some sort. It might be cool to have a sphinx helping her out, Mattie thought. Taking the wand with her left she made a small flourish and to her horror it was as if a bucket of water was dumped on her and the smell of burnt bread - her last attempt in the kitchen - wafted in the air around her.

Blushing bright pink she held out the wand with a low, wet bow, "I... I am sorry Mr. Edgeworth... I might have done something wrong. I don't think the wand and I get along well." She really hoped she didn't have to spend the rest of the day soaking wet even if it was probably her fault. Magic could make her dry though right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                ʸᵒᵘ ˢᵃʷ ᵐᵉ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ, ᵇᵘᵗ ⁿᵉᵛᵉʳ ᵏⁿᵉʷ ❅ ᴵ ʷᵒᵘˡᵈ ᵍⁱᵛᵉ ⁱᵗ ᵃˡˡ ᵘᵖ ᵗᵒ ᵇᵉ ❅ ᴬ ᵖᵃʳᵗ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰⁱˢ, ᵃ ᵖᵃʳᵗ ᵒᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ❅
                                                ᴬⁿᵈ ⁿᵒʷ ⁱᵗ'ˢ ᵃˡˡ ᵗᵒᵒ ˡᵃᵗᵉ ˢᵒ ʸᵒᵘ ˢᵉᵉ ❅ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵒᵘˡᵈ'ᵛᵉ ʰᵉˡᵖᵉᵈ ⁱᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ʰᵃᵈ ʷᵃⁿᵗᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ❅
                                                ᴮᵘᵗ ⁿᵒ ᵒⁿᵉ ⁿᵒᵗⁱᶜᵉˢ ᵘⁿᵗⁱˡ ⁱᵗ'ˢ ᵗᵒᵒ ❅ ᴸᵃᵗᵉ ᵗᵒ ᵈᵒ ᵃⁿʸᵗʰⁱⁿᵍ

{OoC:}
                                                addaellis

CaraMiaKitty

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

addaellis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:52 am

User Image✦✧
WREN ADRIEL WINCHESTER

seventh year || Slytherin prefect || pureblood legilimens
Quidditch keeper and captain || Cooking club critic and captin || Herbology club lollygager

“...Hey I'll be right back. You don’t need me to pick out potions ingredients anyways,” Wren told his boyfriend, glancing back as they passed the wand shop. It was before noon, barely a week after school let out, but Wren was keen to be anywhere but home where his mum was already nagging him about NEWTs and post-graduation plans. ”Yeah. I’ll find you.” He rolled his eyes, letting Nim know it wasn’t a big deal before slipping into Ollivander’s, Dunce hot at his heels.

“‘Morning Mr. Edgeworth,” Wren spoke up, greeting the wandmaker when he saw him, glad there wasn’t anyone else in the store quite yet. Wren had been here a few times before-- for wand-maintenance kits-- since his grandmother had built his and Sparrow’s wands. He was more familiar with Mr. Edgeworth through family--old magical families tended to be at least marginally familiar with each other and what not. “I hope you and your family have been well,” he greeted politely.

Wren was, of course, happy to get the latest gossip--as long as it was interesting--if Mr. Edgeworth was willing to offer any, but he was also here for a purpose: ”Right. I heard that you’ll be short an employee soon and was wondering if I could be of use to you over the summer?”

setting Ollivander's, 10am on a weekday in late June 2052 || with Damien Edgeworth (and Dunce), formerly Nim
appearance 5'8", fit, with remarkably nice skin aside from quaffle callouses || wearing casual tshirt and black jeans
status Just stopping in just cuz

//OOC: I remember we landed on the Hogsmeade location was no longer going to be a thing so just left it out entirely. It can totally be an NPC assistant or whatever! I’m also happy to edit if there’s another way you’d rather do this!
MJ Spooks

Sometimes solutions aren't so simple
Sometimes goodbye's the only way
And the shadow of the day
Will embrace the world in grey
And the sun will set for you

✧✦
"Shadow of the Day" by Linkin Park, cover by Chase Eagleson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm
User ImageUser Image

═════════════════════════════════════════════
                                              ѕιnce we мeт ι ғeel a lιgнтneѕѕ ιn мy ѕтep
                                              yoυ're мιleѕ away вυт ι ѕтιll ғeel yoυ
                                              laтe aт nιgнт wнen yoυ can'т ғall aѕleep
                                              ι'll вe lyιng rιgнт вeѕιde yoυ coυnтιng ѕнeep

spaceDamien looked up front his logbook at the sound of someone entering, expecting a first year or two and surprised to see, instead, a young man. His brow wrinkled in curiosity, but he gave him a friendly smile, trying to place a name to the face. He recognized him, of course; Damien was old money, from an old family, and the resident wandmaker besides. Remembering faces was part and parcel with basically every aspect of his life. That didn't mean he didn't struggle, at times, keeping them straight. There were a lot of people in the world.

spaceWinchester, his memory supplied, more from recognizing his genes than the boy himself. After that it was a quick rundown in his mental database, matching apparent age with the names he could recall. Eventually, he settled on,
                                              "Wren," with a smile and a wave. "We've been quite alright, and yours?" Talking to purebloods always felt weird; despite his profession, he spent most of his life half-in and half-out of both the magical and muggle worlds, purely by virtue of his social circle. He didn't quite feel like he regressed when he exchanged pleasantries with other old families, but he didn't quite feel like himself, either. There was a different cadence to his voice, a slight change in diction. A formality that didn't exist, even in his professional self. It was odd, but not unpleasant, at least.

spaceHe gave a quick wave of his wand to dry the ink, then closed his logbook and set his quill aside. One way he hadn't departed from his upbringing, that; he liked pens, but having them in the wand shop felt wrong. It was a sacred place, to him, and tradition should be respected within its walls.
                                              "What can I do for you, then?" he asked, curious. It could just be manners, he supposed, driving Wren to make smalltalk, but it was hardly normal for a customer who was just in for a maintenance kit. Wren hadn't purchased a wand from him, hadn't needed to, so it was doubtful his needs were anything more advanced than that.

spaceOr, perhaps he'd been to hasty in his assumptions. His eyebrows raised slightly, surprised both by the boy's candidness and his request.
                                              "One of our assistants is moving out of the country," he confirmed, nodding. "Getting married, and his fiancee is based in France." Damien mulled it over. He didn't tend to hire on students unless they were applying as interns. Was that what Wren was after? "Are you just looking for a job for some spare money, or is this in pursuit of a career plan?" he asked, curious. Truthfully, if the boy just wanted to run the register, that was fine as well; Damien couldn't deny that his assistant's departure was ill-timed, considering the busy season. He'd been expecting to just make it work (they'd managed in the past, after all), but help would be welcome.

anywнere ι go тнere yoυ are - anywнere ι go тнere yoυ are
                                              yoυ're тнe ғιre and тнe ғlood and ι'll alwayѕ ғeel yoυ ιn мy вlood
                                              everyтнιng ιѕ ғιne wнen yoυr нead'ѕ reѕтιng neхт тo мιne
                                              now lιѕтen нere, ѕнe ѕaιd, вoy wнen yoυ ĸnow yoυ'll ĸnow, and ι ĸnow

wнere - Shop - Front Room
                                              wнen - Summer 2052
                                              wιтн - Wren
                                              - ooc -
                                              blah blah blah

addaellis

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:33 pm

User Image✦✧
WREN ADRIEL WINCHESTER

Quidditch keeper and captain || Cooking club critic and captin || Herbology club lollygager

”We're well, thank you,” Wren rattled off his standard reply to queries after his family. Wren took in the efficiency with which Mr. Edgeworth set aside whatever he’d been working on and asked what he could do for him. No small-talk and gossip today then. He noted a small quirk of surprise in Mr. Edgeworth’s reaction to his question, but the wandmaker didn’t immediately dismiss him. That was good. He filed the details of the leaving employee away, but that wasn’t what he was here for today.

Wren was mostly interested in having another place to hang out besides the fortune shop, especially if his aunt was packing her potioneer office this summer. But he couldn't deny his interest in crafting and wandlore. He was pleasantly surprised spare money had come up at all as he’d heard that wandmaking internships--particularly student internships--were mostly unpaid. He didn’t exactly need the money, but hey, Wren wasn’t going to complain about that bonus.

“Truthfully I’m not entirely sold on a particular career path, but I do well in wandlore and it’s definitely an interest. Usually I just ask my grandmother any questions, but she said if I wanted to learn proper wand-crafting, you're the best person for it. So,” he shrugged a little, “That’s why I’m here.”

Wren had his OWL’s grades and sixth year transcript and honors in his pocket if needed. ”Just to be clear, I’m still a seventh year. So I’ll have NEWTs and clubs to run during the school year, but I figured I could help out over the summer. My schedule’s pretty flexible, so you’d get someone for the busy season, and I can learn more about the craft.”

setting Ollivander's, 10am on a weekday in late June 2052 || with Damien Edgeworth (and Dunce), formerly Nim
appearance 5'8", fit, with remarkably nice skin aside from quaffle callouses || wearing casual tshirt and black jeans

//OOC: If it helps, Sparrow Winchester (the first) is an Unspeakable (Thought Chamber) by trade but wandlore has been a serious hobby since her Hogwarts days. Slytherin alumna, 78 this year, wheelchair-bound since she was about 20?ish.
MJ Spooks

✧✦

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:10 am
User ImageUser Image

spaceDamien gave a little bit of a laugh, feeling the tips of his ears heat slightly at the compliment he'd evidently been paid. Whether or not Wren's grandmother had actually said anything of the sort, or if the kid was just trying to butter him up, he had no idea. But it was still nice to hear, at least from someone other than his own family and friends. "I don't know about the best," he scoffed, "but between Seth and I, you'd definitely pick up plenty. We're the best you'll get without leaving the country or having to go on a weird quest to find some old hermit to apprentice under, maybe." It wasn't that he didn't think he was good; he knew he was. But there were a lot of wandmakers in the world, more than there used to be. It had become a fairly popular trade. He didn't quite understand why it hadn't been in the first place. Sure, it was finicky, which made it difficult, but so were lots of types of magic. He thought his career was loads easier than his wife's, for instance.

spaceHe regarded the young man thoughtfully, then held out his hand.
                                              "Would it be safe to assume you have your paperwork in order? You seem pretty prepared," he guessed. "If not, I'll need you to stop by with it at some point in the next couple of days. If you've got it now, though, I can take it to look over with Seth. We'll contact you by, oh, the weekend? To let you know if you're hired." Damien tried to think; the budget obviously wouldn't be an issue; he wouldn't be getting paid as much as the employee they'd lost, since he was only part-time and a student. But it was always a risk to bring on a new person in such an unstable environment; who knows what mess people could make, poking around the wands and like. God knows he'd learned that well enough when Gideon was little.

wнen - Summer 2052
                                              wιтн - Wren
                                              - ooc -
                                              blah blah blah

addaellis

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:03 am

User Image✦✧
WREN ADRIEL WINCHESTER

Mr. Edgeworth seemed...well not displeased as he brushed aside the praise praise. Good to see he wasn’t leaning too far into the polite modesty at any rate. Wren made a point to only butter up food, so he found the praise...enough to act on. He had no doubt his grandmother might have ulterior motives to put him on this path, but he quite valued her opinion, and if she thought this line of wandmakers was worthwhile over the many other people who claimed to do wandmaking, then Wren was inclined to investigate more--at very least it was worth more than simple "Ollivander's brand name recognition".

When prompted, Wren procured his documents from a neat little folder: ”Very safe. OWLs, last year’s transcript. I figure you’ll ask around the school for more details, but if it matters, I included clubs and honors on a page at the end.” he indicated, handing the indicated forms over. One could never be entirely sure of their reputation, but Wren was pretty sure his included “irreverent” and “nosy-but-not-in-your-face”. Not exactly high praise, but he was also pretty sure he fell under the “not disruptive in class” group--aside from the occasional snicker--and perhaps one of his professors would have noticed Wren spent half his free time reading research or nonfiction books--mostly potions and wandlore now since he’d gotten his legilimency fix from all the other years. Probably something about Dunce, who rarely left his side unless prohibited from a certain classroom. She was like a feline student, watching everything….or sleeping through it. Wren wasn’t naive enough to think professors didn’t see both more and less than their students would have liked, and he simply didn’t have enough information to know exactly which professors the people at Ollivander’s would poll. Aside from his Wandlore professor, Wren could only hope Mr. Edgeworth would poll people like….Professor Whitethorne or Professor Amorocho, whose classes he was definitely more invested in than….the clases he’d dropped after OWLs. ”This weekend’s fine. Thanks for the consideration.”

✧✦

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 pm
User Image
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
FUTURE FIRST-YEAR UNSORTED
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

User Image
                                                This was it. The moment she'd been waiting for all day. All year, really, since she'd first shown magic. She didn't want to think about that day, though. It had been a bad one. But today was for happy moments and lifelong memories. Wyn could barely keep herself together as she pushed the door aside, rushing toward the counter. A flustered Adan followed after, leaving a trolley full of books, supplies, and Heston the spectacled owl perched in his new cage just outside the door. He'd let his daughter peruse several stores unsupervised, knowing how excited she was and that she might meet some fellow new students. Kids didn't need their parents hovering about when they made new friends. He wasn't, however, about to miss this momentous occasion. This was, at least hopefully, a once-in-a-lifetime occasion, and Adan stopped a few feet away from the counter and looked on proudly.

Behind the counter stood Damien Edgeworth, who had graduated the same year as Adan. They'd been acquaintances in school, though not close. Adan remembered that he'd liked Damien a lot more later in their school years than he had at the start. Adan would have liked to strike up a conversation, but this was Wyn's moment. He offered a nod to his former classmate. To Wyn, he was just the man who would match her with a wand. A lifelong companion, she hoped. Unless she failed to treat it properly and keep it safe, the wand would never abandon or betray her. Unlike some people I know... she thought, but tried her best to stay focused on here and now. Which wasn't difficult, considering what was about to happen.

"Hi sir, I'm here for my first wand!" She said to the man, a little over eager. But Wyn was sure the man was used to the excitement of future first years as they received their wands.

OOC: Let's do 2nd try. Wyn's wand is a 13 inch maple with dragon heartstring. Just barely pliable and has a very simply decorated shaft.
                                                MJ Spooks

User Image  

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:29 pm
User ImageUser Image

spaceDamien glanced up from the receipts he was sorting at the sound of the front door's bell, recognizing Adan as he entered with a young girl. He caught his former classmate's eyes and offered a small, barely noticeable smile, before settling the papers on the countertop and focusing his attention on the girl with Adan, presumably his daughter. Damien and Adan hadn't been close in school, so he didn't know him or his family like he did some of the others they'd graduated with. He recognized him on sight, of course, and figured they were on friendly enough terms, even if they weren't friends. He'd known the man had a child, but not that she'd be school-aged this year.

spaceAs he often did when familiar faces came in with their unfamiliar children, Damien had to resist the urge to be a little mischievous and channel old man Ollivander. The last of the family to've owned the shop died in the second war, so Damien had never met him, but he'd heard stories of how he'd seemed to know everyone, to recognize children he'd never met before when they walked in the door. He couldn't do that with every kid, of course, but he was tempted often enough. Unfortunately, he'd found kids were just as likely to become nervous from such a display as to think it was incredible or amusing. So, he refrained.

spaceSo, instead he simply grabbed his own wand, came out from behind the counter, and offered the young lady his hand.
                                              "Then you're in the right place," he told her with a welcoming smile. "My name is Damien Edgeworth, and I'll be happy to help you find your wand. So, let's get started." He gestured to the stool set off to the side in a clear area, then gave his wand a wave to start taking her measurements. "Are you right-handed, left-handed, or ambidextrous?" he asked, thinking on what he knew of Adan's temperament, and comparing that to the young lady's exuberant entrance as he began mentally pulling wands for her to try.

wнen - Summer 2053
                                              wιтн - Wyn, Adan
                                              - ooc -
                                              blah blah blah

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:08 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                Wyn's excitement steadily increased as the wand man stepped out from behind the counter, introducing himself as Damien Edgeworth. She took his hand delicately and curtsied a little. "Wyn Vaughan-Warde," she returned the introduction. She stared with a mixture of awe and nervousness as he waved his wand, and the measurements began taking themselves. She'd seen magic before plenty of times, but her father didn't use much at home. It was a habit he'd developed after years married to her muggle mother. Wyn wasn't sure whether magic had been disconcerting, or maybe Adan didn't want her to feel left out. Either way, at the Vaughan-Warde house, magic was more of a novelty than an every-day practice. So she drank it in, eyes bright, almost missing the question when Mr. Edgeworth asked it. "Right-handed," she managed when the words did register. "Mr. Edgeworth, what should I expect when I have the right wand? Will we know each other somehow?"

OOC:
                                                MJ Spooks

User Image  

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:09 pm
User ImageUser Image

spaceDamien smiled at Wyn as he took down her measurements, stepping away briefly to collect a few boxes he thought might work for her. So far, she was pretty polite for an eleven-year-old, which was always nice. Not that he had a lot of kids coming in being rude; even the ones who were inclined to bad behavior usually got it together in his shop. But, there was always something endearing about the ones who seemed determined to show off their good manners.

spaceHe returned with a small stack, setting them on the counter and opening the top box.
                                              "It's different for everyone," he told her. "Something magical will happen. Sometimes it's a warm glow, sometimes music, glitter, flowers. But mostly, you'll just feel it." He grinned, then handed her the first wand. "Here, try this one. Eleven inches, maple with unicorn hair. Give it a swish. The better the reaction, the closer we are." He took a short step back to allow her room to test the wand. The more inaccurate the wand, the worse the reaction would be. But he was reasonably certain about the wood for her. Just call it a hunch.

wнen - Summer 2053
                                              wιтн - Wyn, Adan
                                              - ooc -
                                              blah blah blah

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:12 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                Her eyes fell upon the boxes as Mr. Edgeworth retrieved them. The rows and rows of them had seemed like they were simply part of the walls when she'd first come in. Now, she felt in awe. She wondered how it was possible to remember all of the different kinds of wood and core and what sort of person they might bond well with. Someone like Mr. Edgeworth had to be very talented to get it right within a few tries. She listened carefully to his responses as he placed some boxes on the counter. She nodded, picturing so many possibilities. Magic had always been something that just happened when she felt a certain way. It never happened on cue, and it was seldom convenient. Now, she would finally have a way to control it. Something was about to happen, not unintentionally, but on purpose! Wyn carefully accepted the wand. She didn't feel much at first touch, but she quieted her mind and focused on it. The wand seemed vaguely familiar, but not close; sort of like a distant cousin whose personality sometimes got on your nerves. Surely the right wand would seem a little more like a brother? Skeptically, she gave the wand a swish as she'd been told to do. The lights in the room just barely flickered, and the wand let off a reluctant sizzling noise.

"I'm not sure about that one," she said to Mr. Edgeworth, feeling underwhelmed. She placed it back on the counter."Maybe something similar, though?"

OOC:
                                                MJ Spooks

User Image  

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:07 pm
User ImageUser Image

spaceDespite the seemingly lackluster response from the wand, Damien looked very pleased with the results. Firstly, because the combination hadn't caused any property damage, which was a real concern in his line of work, unfortunately. Secondly, though, because Wyn was right, they were close.

space"Something similar is exactly right, I think," he told her, consulting his mental list and the wands he'd gathered. He opened a box, gave the wand a once-over, then closed it and set it on the counter. He repeated this action twice more, debating internally before setting both wand boxes aside. The fourth one, however, he smiled at when he opened. "Let's give this one a try," he said, handing her the wand. "Maple again, this time with dragon heartstring, a little longer at thirteen inches." If this one didn't work, he'd be surprised, frankly. However, it'd been known to happen. Hopefully it was right, though; dragon heartstring was more likely to misbehave if it were wrong.

wнen - Summer 2053
                                              wιтн - Wyn, Adan
                                              - ooc -
                                              blah blah blah

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:59 pm
User Image

User Image
                                                Wyn watched as Mr. Edgeworth examined a few wands, setting them aside. She wondered what was going on inside the man's presumably brilliant brain. Maybe one day I'll be a wandseller, she thought. But then again, I don't know if I'd be any good at it.

"Let's give this one a try. Maple again, this time with dragon heartstring, a little longer at thirteen inches."

Wyn carefully accepted the wand, and as soon as it was gripped in her hand, Wyn felt as though her family was complete. It was a sensation she hadn't felt since, well, since Mum. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she gave the wand a gentle swish, though she knew already that this wand was hers. The lights in the room dimmed, and the room went almost to blackness, aside from little pinpricks of light arranged in constellations about the place. Stars, she realized at once. Only, the constellations weren't like the ones she was used to looking at with her dad. These constellations were her own. She made out vines with broad leaves snaking their way around differently shaped flowers. She saw the outline of different kitchen knives, a few pots and pans, could that be a whisk? Wyn thought she could smell the faint scent of garam masala, but was sure she was imagining things. Back in the sea of stars, there was an owl, and the outline of three people holding hands, only one seemed to flicker in and out of existence. The whole thing lasted only a few moments, but Wyn saw her whole life in the night sky of the wand's creation. Too soon, the room brightened and the stars vanished.

Adan looked on, mesmerized. He was happier than he had been in a long while, not only because Wyn had found her wand, but that it had manifested its connection to her in the form of stars. Taking his daughter out to gaze through his telescope at the celestial things was his favorite pastime, and he knew in that moment that she loved it, too. He wept silently, proudly, and joyfully.

Wyn heard a sniffle behind her and quickly wiped the tears from her own eyes. She clutched the wand to her chest. "Wow," she spoke breathlessly. "That was... incredible."

OOC:
                                                MJ Spooks

User Image  

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:24 am

User Image♥♡
SPARROW KIYA WINCHESTER

seventh year || Gryffindor prefect || pureblood
Drama club director|| Music club || Order of the Stick || Quidditch announcer

This was Wren’s workplace.

Sparrow sat on a stool in the corner as Wren grabbed a few tools. A measuring tape. A clipboard. Sparrow stared blankly at him, going on like it was just another workday. Maybe to him it was. The shop would open in an hour or so, and Wren would go back to his day. He was running away from dealing with everything. She knew Aunt Verine and Robin, accompanied by a few close family friends, had been the ones to take care of the funeral. Wren was just supposed to make a speech. Maybe he wouldn’t. He certainly hadn’t shown up to make a speech for Great-Grandfather’s birthday.

Sparrow’s hands laid limply in her lap, and her feet dragged on the floor when Wren called her over. The tape measure buzzed around her.

“Lift your head,” Wren said-- said, not snapped. "C'mon, didn't you always want to bother me at work before?"

Sparrow’s head slowly lifted, her neck moving slowly like she was swimming in jelly. “Try this. Cast a spell or something.”

Sparrow didn’t hear him rattle off the wand’s properties. Her arm lifted like a marionette controlled by heavy cables and her fingers curled around the wand. It was cold to the touch. She didn’t even notice herself shudder. She barely pointed her wand at the table before a small burst threw the clipboard from the table. Dunce, sitting nearby, seemed used to this kind of behavior and simply flicked her tail, eyes wide and following the wand. She seemed too calm around these kinds of explosions for a normal cat. It only made the whole thing seem more surreal.

“What about… this one. Dogwood and snidget feather. 12.5 inches, less flexible than your original, but it should be okay.

“Pine and phoenix feather, 12.75 inches. Very swishy?

“Holly and crup hair, 12 inches.

“I’m not insane am I? Here, try this. It should fail, it’s like the opposite of you. Redwood and hippogryff feather, 10–”

The wand jumped out of her hand like she had stung it. Sparrow felt like she owed the wand an apology, but the words died somewhere between her brain and throat. The rejected wands were starting to pile up. Sparrow had long since given up trying to understand anything about the process. It was just knocked over boxes and boards, flickering lights, dented wood panels, more and more damage.

Wren had started complaining between offering her wands to try. “I’ve never had this much trouble finding a wand,” he joked. “Hee hee. Maybe bad luck fwooper feather really is your type.”

Oh. Right. Fwoopers were bad luck. Maybe this whole thing was her fault.

As he searched the shelves, Wren chuckled. Again. Like nothing was wrong. Wren brought back a dark wand with tiny stars painted along a swirling shaft and a sparking cord tied around the handle. “Aha! Black laurel and fwooper feather. 13 inches. Pliant, very good for charms.”

At first, Sparrow felt a gust of warmth like her previous one used to give her. She sighed a little and raised her arm. But before she could attempt any magic with it, that warmth turned to heat, like her palm was suddenly breaking out into hives. She dropped it without thinking, a delayed “Ow!” hitting her ears before she realized what was happening. Sparrow stared at her palm–smooth, unburnt. Unblemished. There wasn’t even a trace of ash. But maybe beneath it she was missing something more than family. Maybe her magic was gone too. The dark fwooper wand landed on the ground without even rolling, as though daring her to pick it up again.

setting Ollivander's, January 2055 || with Wren. Dunce. lots of wands.
appearance 5'7", soft and squishy || hair color White for the funeral || wearing black dress, black boots
status My old wand was fine. Just...broken.

And confirmation that Wren is only so rude because it's Sparrow.

MJ Spooks

I've seen dark before
But not like this
This is cold
This is empty
This is numb
The life I knew is over
The lights are out
Hello, darkness
I'm ready to succumb

♡♥
~"The Next Right Thing" from Frozen II, sung by Kristen Bell..

Diagon Alley

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff