I've got an idea for a character in mind, drawing from a persona my brother put on in high school (don't ask), a friend of mine who's parents are divorced, The Parent Trap, and the themes of what really makes a family, trauma-induced hatred, missing old friends that you're probably not going to see again, and a lot of other stuff.

Long story short, I've an idea for a character who's father was an American missionary in Lockerby, Scotland, who spent a decent amount of time there, really got to know the locals, and just happened to fall in love with one of the locals. Well, missionaries doing God's work and a Witch typically don't mesh well, and a Dean Thomas ("Dad's a muggle. Mom's a witch. Bit of a shock for him when he found out") situation ensues only it's way worse.

Dad goes home after three years and manages to win full custody rights. Child displays magical powers. Do not suffer a witch to live, kid goes back to mom still sort of reeling from the experience and is suddenly thrust into completely unfamiliar waters.

The main reason I want to go for this is because I have absolutely no idea what growing up in the UK is actually like (hence, I go for mixed heritage), but I do know what isolation feels like, parental resentment isn't a new theme at all, and I feel like a child who was raised Christian finding out that they're something their religion is completely opposed to and wondering what he's actually supposed to be is a theme I'm unfortunately familiar with.

Anyway… thoughts?