Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hiya!
  Hello
View Results

IchigoNeko23

Firebreathing Genius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 am
So, I have a guild called "The Cat's Pajamas". I am in desperate need of help running it. It's a hang out guild and I've had it for a while. I would really like to get it up and running again. If you can help or have any tips please let me know. Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:31 am
Hmmm... I haven't been in charge of an active guild in years (yeeeaaaarrrrsss), so my opinions might be outdated. XD
I'd say that it's easy to get members, but the hardest thing is keeping your members interested in returning regularly.

Ways to get members:
Send random invites (I'm not sure if this is still allowed. I don't see why not since I still get them from time to time... I'm not sure though. Definitely don't send them to people whose profiles state that they hate random PMs.)
Let your current members suggest people (their friends) to invite
Advertise in the Gaia Guilds Network Forum that you're looking for members
Advertise in the NSTG Monthly.
Hold a contest in the Forums like the Chatterbox (or in a holiday forum) that is sponsored by your guild. If people have fun in that thread, they might ask to join your guild.

Ways to keep members active:
Well, there should be some sort of purpose. Why should people join your guild over hanging out in the forums or some other guild? You have one: hanging out. I've joined guilds like that as long as the other members seemed nice. Other reasons I've joined guilds were for creating dream avatars (tekteking), a common interest (fandom, general interests), polls (back when that was a viable way to earn gold).
Holding a monthly contest of some sort would be good. Maybe even start with weekly since you're still building a base of members. (Avatar contests (with their own items or not), dice rolls, RNG, raffles with number of posts as your entry (like the NSTG does each month)). Again, give people a reason/incentive to come back. Eventually, people then make the friendships that keep them coming back. c:

Um, speaking as a guild member, what kept me coming back to a guild would first and foremost be the members. If everyone generally seemed nice, generally active posts and were generally welcoming, I'd stick around and post.
I've avoided guilds that don't feel welcoming, that center around an interest I don't have, or are too confusing to post in. (I also don't have as much time for Gaia as I used to, so I avoid joining new guilds now.)

As a guild captain/crew, sending a mass amount of random invites at one time usually did the trick. Whenever the guild would slow down to just a few core group of members posting, we'd send out mass invites and make a thread in the Chatterbox Forum. It was chaos! It was fun! I enjoyed welcoming all the new members as they posted. And there's an excitement in the air when everyone is joining all at once and figuring things out.
Definitely be ready for the rush... like... already have contest threads up, etc.
And be ready to welcome people and chat with them.
Depending on the amount of people you invite, you'll probably need one or two others to help you interact with the new members.
If people had fun, they continued to stick around. If they didn't, then they slipped away into the night. But that's fine. You don't want to force anyone to be there. We'd usually retain maybe half the people who were invited (so 10-15 or so people) for several months before we'd notice that maybe only 2 or 3 of the last batch were still posting. (But, hey, I didn't know that regular guild activities or contests keep people around. I'd always relied on polls and friendships to attract people to stay. ;D And that's what worked... until polling was nerfed. And friendships last a long time... until people stop logging into Gaia.)

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:01 pm
I have a little guild with a small group of lovely members. I built it by putting a link in my signature and posting all over Gaia, making a welcoming comment on the profile of every person who asks to join while accepting their request, having fun simple threads for them to post in (birthday thread, games, etc.), and responding to nearly every post anyone makes in the guild. It's still very small, but I like it. wink Good luck with yours!  
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games