Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm
User Image

Strictly speaking, Ua was not supposed to get too close to theborders. Not only was he confirmed to be infected, he was symptomatic- and recently transitioned from early to intermediate stage symptoms. His breathing was louder, his appetite remained but his willingness to fight to keep his food down was waning, and he was prone to dizzy spells. He was grateful (and fortunate) that his job did not require much strenuous activity-- and yet, here he was, on the hunt for a plant he needed, one that his apothecary was having trouble finding. There was no shame in helping out, he just didn't mean to go as far out as he did. He was ailing but his energy levels remained high when not pushing himself too hard or in the midst of a bad spell.

"Now," he murmured to himself, eyes on the ground and paws pushing around a small patch of greenery, "Was it yellow-green or dark green? Is this yellow-green or dark green?"

Everything was green, it was all starting to look the same. He'd know when he found what he was looking for, he hoped, but really.. he needed more practice at this if he wanted to help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:03 pm
User Image

The lion was difficult to miss. He seemed to be crouched down, staring intently at the ground too. Idly, Diffudi wondered if there was yet another pride of sorts around here. She seemed to have good (or was that bad?) luck at finding those. Sometimes they were okay with her hybrid form, but oftentimes she attracted unpleasant stares and derogatory comments.

Was she in a mood to find out which kind of pride this might be?

Did she want to know what the pink male was doing?

The latter question was answerable by "yes" which meant that she'd almost certainly have to say "yes" to the former as well, even if she didn't really want to. But Diffudi wasn't one to ignore her curiosity.

"What is a grown lion doing, spending all day staring at the ground?" she asked, announcing her presence to the stranger.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Staring so intently at the ground, Ua didn't hear Diffudi's approach and when she spoke, he nearly jumped out of his fur. Instinctively, he jumped away from the voice, as if he realized how far away from home he truly was- or, at least, the danger of running into a rogue with no idea of the risk to their health and safety by approaching strange lions in this area.

It took him a minute to catch his breath (loudly) and figure out that this stranger was neither a member of the pride nor a lion in any capacity- and he sighed in relief. He could relax a bit.

"I'm looking for a plant but I seem to have forgotten what it looks like," he answered honestly with a sheepish smile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 pm
"A plant? Isn't that what a klipspringer would do, not a lion?" Okay, this was something of a lie. Diffudi knew damned well that some people, regardless of species, collected weird s**t. Not that she'd allow it to excuse the amazingly pink lion.

"Besides, how would you know you found your plant if you forgot what it looks like? What if you grabbed something poisonous instead?"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:22 pm
He smiled at her remark about the klipspringer, not at all offended or surprised-- and yet choosing not to reply to that particular question. Her other question had a much simpler answer.

"Whatever I find, of course, would be checked by an apothecary," he said, "I'm no herbalist but I know enough to help out when needed.. or so I thought. My hope is still that I'll know what I'm looking for when I see it."

Ua didn't realize he was staring, though he was lucky it was primarily concentrated around her face. She definitely wasn't a lion, but he wasn't sure he could figure out exactly what she was-- and the shade of blue in her fur was rather unique.. though almost like his uncle, and she had a similar look to her. Not quite! But then.. she was a cheetah?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:26 pm
Diffudi considered what the lion had said, ignoring his stares. She was aware of them - she had been subject to enough to know what it felt like - but they weren't important at the moment.

"So why isn't an apothecary or herbalist looking for the plant for you?" the leotah asked at last. The pink male's implication had been that either of these people would be able to identify the plant, probably with ease. So what was the purpose in him seeking it out? He didn't appear to be in training, because the teacher would be nearby. So she couldn't come with a reason.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 pm
"What we're looking for is rare and hard to find, they haven't had any luck so I joined the search," he said with a shrug, "I'm a healer so their work directly affects mine, I should be able to help when necessary."

Ua nearly frowned, realizing he was dancing around explaining himself in full and wondering how that might affect her opinion. She was being quite friendly and he was enjoying that, she wasn't at risk of being infected but how easily would any outsider accept assurances of that? He had never really been in this situation before, he'd always stayed much closer to home.

It was lucky she was a cheetah, he decided. He didn't have to come clean or make an excuse to get away. His breathing and the occasional rasp in his voice might give some indication of his failing health, but it was far kinder than the whole truth.

"What brings you here?" he asked, "You're nearing the borders of a pride, you ought to be more careful."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm
Well...that was actually kind of logical. Of course, Diffudi privately thought that the apothecary and herbalist were making more work for themselves by involving the lion before her, since his faulty memory made it likely that one or both of the others would have to go back over this area to be certain he hadn't missed the precious plant.

"Okay, I guess you're not a total idiot then," she allowed out loud. Then he changed the subject and the leotah sighed gustily.

"Another pride? You lions are ******** everywhere. And I'm betting if anyone other than you had seen me they'd chase me away, right?" the black female continued, obliquely referring to several other "welcomes" she'd received in other locations. Seriously though, did lions just form prides everywhere anyone could live?  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:41 pm
Ua chuckled, both to her decision that he wasn't an idiot and her remark about there being yet another pride around. He guessed that she ran into prides that were strictly exclusive to lions, but this was a pride that not only welcomed other species but needed them.

"Maybe if you were a lion," he said, choosing his words carefully in hopes of getting a reaction out of her, "Lucky for you, you're a cheetah so you're safe."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm
Okay, now she was actually confused. A lion would be chased away - by a lion - but a cheetah was safe? Not that she was purebred cheetah, but that was totally beside the point.

"Why would a lion be chased away, but not a cheetah?" Diffudi asked suspiciously. She'd correct him later. Was this a slave-keeping pride? She certainly had no interest in being a slave.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm
OK, he had done that to himself. He was beyond keeping his secret now, but it had been a perfect response to such a snap about a pride of lions chasing her away. Besides that, it was the truth and she was safe, so what was the harm?

"Our pride is plagued by a fatal disease that affects only lions and lion hybrids," he said, "Outsiders of all kinds are welcomed, but any lion passers-by that accidentally expose themselves to the plague can't be allowed to leave or it could spread beyond our borders."

Ua's demeanor was bright considering the grim tale he told. It helped that her suspicion, while well-placed, was somewhat amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:35 pm
"How can you have a pride if people keep dying of a disease?" Diffudi mused to herself aloud as she considered this new information. Sickness was bad. Especially if preceded by the word "fatal". The leotah had no interest in catching such a thing...

But wait! He'd said it affected only lions and lion hybrids. Diffudi might be a hybrid, but she didn't have a drop of lion blood in her. Which meant she couldn't possibly get this disease.

Of course, that didn't mean the pink male might not intend to take her as a slave. Being immune, she could be very valuable...  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:53 pm
"That's why we welcome everybody," he said with a lopsided smile, "Not everybody is affected, some lions are immune and some are only carriers. If you turn out to be immune, you can leave. And if you turn out to be infected, it's not like you die tomorrow. I was born here and I'm still going just fine."

He stifled an awkwardly timed wheeze. She still looked doubtful and he was trying to be as cheerful as possible.. but it didn't seem to be all that reassuring.

"You're not in any danger, it's OK to relax," he said, "We're pretty welcoming, I guess I shouldn't have said you ought to be more careful. If you were a lion, I'd have tried to chase you away for your own safety. As long as you're not looking to cause trouble, nobody would give you any grief."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm
"Everybody, huh," the leotah repeated, clearly disbelieving the lion's words. Though he continued to talk, explaining that some lions didn't suffer from the disease at all, and others not right away. A slight strain in his breathing made Diffudi wonder if he himself suffered from the illness.

It was also interesting that he continued by saying that he'd have chased away a lion in order to protect them from the disease. That was...a fairly kind thing to do. Well, not every pride she'd found was bad...just a lot of them. And many of them had a superiority complex when it came to hybrids.

"I don't need to cause trouble," she finally replied with a wicked grin. "I am trouble."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm
He grinned back when she finally seemed to accept what he said and loosened up a bit. For a first encounter with a true outsider, he didn't do too badly! It was awkward and informative but she wasn't running away or attacking him so.. that was good, right!

"Tch, does that mean I have to do something about it?" he asked.

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff