Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:12 pm
User Image

Kimondo's worldview seemed completely shattered when she found out about Umepatwa. She had been so focused on how Shangyue was the only enemy, the only bad guy in their story.. it was a harsh reality check, and she was still reeling. Their entire family was mourning, and there were a few important lions missing. Correcting that was a job that the young lioness threw herself into completely. It was a distraction, finding Nketa and bringing her home, consequences be damned. She had already done this once, now it was with the full blessing of their mothers.

The only problem was.. with the pride in chaos, Meshach and his group were determined to keep moving around to throw off their pursuers. Kimondo started where she had collected Nketa from the night of the strike and tried to work her way out from there, hoping she would be lucky enough to find her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:34 pm
User Image

If things had been bad before, being isolated from her family, hiding from the pride that they supposedly belonged to, now it was a hundred times worse. Not only was Meshach refusing to stay more than a single night in any one location as well as using his contacts in the pride for all they were worth to either avoid or ambush patrols as he saw fit.

Nketa wondered now, as she often did, why Meshach insisted on living so close to the pride if discovery was such a constant fear. It was no secret why the young lioness stayed - she wanted to be with her family, but the Rebels refused to allow her to go into the pride. When Meshach had learned she'd been at the strike...the lioness winced at the memory. She hadn't mentioned that Antara had been there too. She hadn't been able to speak to any of her siblings, but seeing all of them there filled a cherished space in Nketa's heart.

She knew, however, that if Meshach had learned that both girls were present, he'd probably rage about how someone might have noticed. Their markings were somewhat distinct and only a select few lions knew there were two of them. Most only knew of Antara.

Regardless, Nketa was currently avoiding Meshach and the Rebels. Oh sure, she'd end up there soon enough to sleep if nothing else, but she wanted away from his restrictions, away from his anger, away from his plots. If not for her family, she'd just leave. Be a rogue. Go...somewhere. Anywhere.

Well, maybe it wasn't just family that kept her, Nketa thought with a grin as her eye fell on a familiar white form. There were some friends too.

"Kimondo!" the purple lioness hailed her friend. "Sneaking out on Hunting again?"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm
Kimondo jumped when she heard her name called out- and was visibly relieved when she saw Nketa. Her hunt had been blessedly short and for that she was extremely grateful, though she was sure the entire interaction with Nketa would be terrible. She felt so sorry for Nketa, especially now. What hope there might have been for her reuniting with her family and really getting to know them when this was all over was fading. At least if they started now, the others remained.

"Nketa, thank goodness I've found you!" she breathed, standing where she was instead of bounding up as she might have on any other day, "I've come to bring you home."

It was as good a place to start as any. She only hoped that Nketa's elation at the idea of going home to stay would be set aside in favour of rightful suspicion, she was taking a chance that she would have to crush her dear friend's dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:05 pm
"What, is my father dead?" the purple lioness replied, trying to joke though her blood had frozen to ice in her veins. This was...unexpected. Even out here she knew that things were tense and difficult within the pride. Why would Kimondo want to bring her in now?

"What's happened Kimondo?" Nketa asked more softly, fear starting to color her tone.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 pm
The young lioness nearly laughed at the question she was asked in return, though she could hardly blame Nketa for asking that particular question. It would be a much happier time, and they both knew that. Kimondo was hardly radiating excitement.

"It's Ume," she said, swallowing hard and willing herself to keep speaking instead of just trailing off to let poor Nketa fill in the blanks herself, "He was killed, by Tyfu's sons, we think. There's been fighting but.."

Nobody else had died, just Umepatwa.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:18 pm
The bottom dropped out of her universe. Umepatwa...was dead? Her brother? True, she had two...had had two...but this was...how? Why? Nketa might have been emotionally closest to her twin, but it was Ndogo and Umepatwa whom she'd seen most often, even more than her mother it seemed, because people paid less attention to them.

It hadn't even been that many nights ago that she'd been so proud to see him organizing the hunters' strike and gaining respect and prestige amongst those who fought against the king. Kimondo had said something about his killers, but Nketa still didn't know much about the pride and failed to recognize the name mentioned.

"What happened," she demanded, eyes watering but still focused on her friend.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:24 pm
Kimondo's frown deepened. What they were able to figure out was from a flurry of visions that continued to torment Nketa's poor mother and evidence from the scene of the crime. She didn't doubt that Tyfu would be boasting about her sons' accomplishment soon enough and they would have no doubts left.

"It must have been an ambush, Ume wouldn't wander into a trap," she said, looking down at her feet, "But he knew to expect something like this, he knew what he was getting himself into.. and still, he refused to take anybody with him."

The buddy system had been a big deal with Kimondo and her siblings were younger. If Umepatwa had been less stubborn about putting anybody else in danger on his account, maybe things would be different. Maybe he wouldn't have fallen so easily when faced with a pair of vicious half-brothers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:27 pm
An ambush. Great. But that couldn't be all the information Kimondo had! Nketa felt she had two options right now - to break down in a hysterical mess or to keep a lid on her emotions and deal with this horrible, unexpected loss until she was alone again.

"Kimondo, you're my friend and I love you but I swear I am going to kill you myself if you don't tell me what you know," the purple lioness growled to the white.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:04 pm
She was taken aback by the sudden threat of violence from her friend, but she filed it away as one way Nketa was dealing with her grief and anger- that was entirely expected at this point.

"I promise, Nketa, that's all I know," she said sadly, "If there's anything more to know yet, your mother will know. Her visions are more erratic but she's sure it's Ume.."

Kimondo looked at her feet again. It had been recent that she'd learned that her mother and Kamia were seers and come to understand how that motivated them for the rebellion.. she was horrified to find that now one of them was being tormented with images of her dying son and it was beyond her control.

"Come home," she said, almost desperate, "Antara will be there. She's not safe with the king anymore, so she's coming home too."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 pm
Emotion was boiling up within Nketa and the lioness couldn't even begin to sort the good from the bad. She wanted to go with Kimondo - Great Lion knew how badly! - but she couldn't quite trust her seeming good fortune. True, she'd apparently lost a brother, but to be offered her family back? All of it? It seemed too good to be true.

But this was Kimondo, her friend, one of her solid links to the pride. The Huntress had never lied to her. Though...she knew there were times the white lioness might have omitted information.

How trustworthy did that make her? Hell, Nketa had just done the same thing to Meshach by not telling him that all of her siblings had been at the strike. Did it matter? Could she really refuse to see her family again?

At the very least she could mourn her brother with her own kin. That would be something.

"Fine," she gave in at last, but it was reluctance that colored the purple female's voice, not eagerness. She couldn't help wondering how this would change the face of the rebellion.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:06 am
Kimondo felt herself begin to shake under the weight of Nketa's stare, as if she could sense what her friend was wondering. She had every right to be upset.. and Kimondo herself was beginning to feel the same fearful suspicion as the world around them began to lose its familiar, comfortable shape. She had volunteered to bring Nketa home, to spare Kamia and Ndogo the frantic search, to let her mother stay with her friend, to give Nketa someone more familiar than Vesper to talk to.. but she was young, her ability to cope was being tested and she was starting to think it might fail her.

It was a relief when Nketa agreed, but it didn't help the dread growing in her stomach. This wasn't going to be something so easily moved past, and the war to take back the pride had barely begun.

"OK, let's go," she said, "I think I know the best route to avoid any of the guards."

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games