Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:40 pm
User Image
Umepatwa was dead. A b*****d brother, maybe, but still kin. Antara's brother, the b*****d sister who he'd been discouraged from being too friendly with, but never held ill will towards. The news confirmed something that the young royal had suspected--if Father had killed his own parents, his grandparents, he would kill his offspring if given reason to suspect they might dethrone him. It was hard to feel comfortable in the royal dens with that thought in his head. He still slept there, to avoid suspicion if nothing else, but he'd taken to wandering the pride more often, and sleeping less.

A loud sigh gusted from him. Things were getting worse--what was he going to do when they got really ugly?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:11 pm
User Image

Since the night of the Hunter's Strike, Liuhe had become a much more serious lion. It didn't suit him, he seemed so completely different from the lion he used to be.. but it was hard to be so carefree with everything that was going on. He'd had a fight with his only real friend and watched as the rebels got exactly as they wanted. His parents didn't seem all that concerned about it, either.. but he didn't tell them everything he knew or thought about it, they never asked him.

It was by chance his path crossed with Yueyun, and he was grateful for it. It hadn't been much of a conversation, but Yueyun was the only one he'd really talked to about the rebellion beyond grim acknowledgement that the pride was wrongly trying to dethrone their father shared by the entire family (as was expected of them, at least). Yueyun's dejection in that private moment they shared at least hinted that his brother shared some of his concerns.

"Yueyun!" he called.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm
Yueyun started, he hadn't realized that his eldest (legitimate) brother was near. Wariness flashed in his eyes for a moment...but...he felt like he could still trust Liuhe. Mostly. Letting out a breath he hadn't known he was holding, he turned to face his fire-haired brother. His thoughts, his borderline traitorous thoughts, were thankfully not apparent.

"Liuhe," he greeted, his expression both apprehensive and curious. He was still glad to see him, at least.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:21 pm
"Should you be out alone?" he asked, making a face but losing it quickly when he realized that the same could be asked of him- and it was easy to imply that he might be more vulnerable for his position as heir, though Liuhe didn't want to think of himself as more valuable (and therefore vulnerable) than his brother.

"This rebellion isn't look good for dad, is it?" he said, changing the subject and speaking honestly. It wasn't something he could say directly to his parents, being doubtful would be frowned upon at best and result in some harsh lessons at worst. But it was the truth, even if at this point the death of Umepatwa was the only "win" on either side..

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:29 pm
It's probably safer out here, Yueyun nearly replied. He got as far as opening his mouth, only to shut it with a faint click when Liuhe changed tack.

He let out a heavy sigh. "No, it doesn't. They've seen--we've seen--that he will still kill to keep his power, to silence dissent." Raising his eyes to Liuhe's, he held his brother's gaze as he made a point of adding in a hushed tone, "Even if they're his children. Tell me, brother, what do you think will happen if one of us disagrees with how he does things?"

For a moment, the guard he'd thrown up around his family since the night of the strike dropped, and his fear was plain to see. Yueyun didn't want to fear Father, but he also didn't want to die. And he wouldn't--couldn't--agree with maintaining rule by blood and fear.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:47 pm
Liuhe was being honest but he wasn't being nearly as bold as his brother, and Yueyun looked absolutely terrified about it. It struck the elder prince that this might have been what he failed to notice about their last private conversation. Sure, he had noticed that Yueyun was uneasy about the strike, but had had never guessed that it might be because he wondered if they were right.

He had not allowed himself to think about that possibility. Even when arguing with his would-be friend, now known to be an active rebel, he hadn't let anybody convince him. It wasn't until he heard about Umepatwa's death that his resolve began to crack.

"Umepatwa did it to himself," he said sternly, frowning, "The rebels challenged the king, they wanted him to lash out and prove he's every bit as cruel as they make him out to be.. and he did. Does that make it his fault, or theirs?"

His voice was confident but his eyes were filled with doubt. Liuhe truly believed what he said, but he couldn't hide behind that truth forever. He was as scared as Yueyun. Maybe it wasn't all Shangyue's fault, but it meant the same thing in the end. He was provoked and that made him a danger to everybody. His pride and, apparently, his family.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm
"Does it matter?" Yueyun shook his head. The words kept bursting out, the floodgates open even though he still wasn't sure what Liuhe would do about it. The thoughts that tormented him sought--demanded--release. "He didn't have to kill him. He never had to kill anyone. How can I sleep in the same den, knowing that family means nothing to him if I get in his way? Or even just 'provoke' him?"

He took a deep, shuddering breath, shaking slightly. "That was our brother, Liuhe. And his own father ordered his death."  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 pm
Liuhe frowned. He didn't even need to think about the answer to that question. Yueyun had clearly made up his mind, even if there was no simple answer to his question. He could dig his feet in and refuse to budge, as he had already done, or he could trust his brother as he seemed to trust him.

"How can we not?" he asked, including himself and indirectly giving a voice to the doubts he had been having, the same doubts as Yueyun, "He's already been watching me since I was small, making sure I'm not going to do to him what he did to his parents."

If their parents worried about any of Liuhe's siblings, it significantly less noticeable. Probably because their primary target would not be their father but Liuhe.. and each other.

"I can't do anything, Yueyun."

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:39 pm
"Can't you?" Yueyun frowned as well, trying to meet his brother's eyes. "If he expects you to try to off him, to be just like him, I don't see how doing nothing is going to help. Maybe...I don't know. Maybe we both need to prove we have the pride's best interest at heart, or they'll trust us just as much as they trust him." His words danced dangerously close to traitorous, maybe crossing the line entirely. But if Liuhe wanted to damn him, he'd have more than enough to even without this. In a way, this was...perhaps not the lifting of a burden, but the sharing of one, allowing the young male to breathe. "If we think this is bad, imagine what it might be like if something happens to Father and they think his legitimate heirs are the same as him. D'you think they'd just sit back and let you have the throne then?"

He dearly, desperately wanted to believe they weren't like Father. That even if his father was a fallen hero, he still had a family. That even if he didn't know what side they were on, that they weren't bad.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:21 am
It had all seemed so obvious before talking to Yueyun. Liuhe was heir to the throne- his father's throne, anyway- and that made him helpless against his watchful, murderous father. And that made him useless to the rebels, if he would give in and believe that maybe, just maybe they were right about Shangyue.

If something happens to Father and they think his legitimate heirs are the same as him..

Those words finally got Liuhe to look at his brother again. He'd already had this conversation with someone dear and he's chosen his father's side. Now his half-brother was dead and his full brother stood across from him, expressing doubts that had been creeping up on the heir since then.

"Umepatwa did," he said suddenly, sadly, "I met him, did you know that? He barely spoke to me, stormed off before I could really talk to him. We had a mutual friend, they argued because of me.. because Umepatwa was sure I was as bad as Father."

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 am
Yueyun rocked slightly on his feet, as though the words were a physical blow. It was one thing to suspect he and his siblings were considered of the same moral fiber as Shangyue, another to hear such a confirmation.

"I didn't... I never got much of a chance to talk to him," he said in a soft, wistful voice. He'd seen his half-brother at the strike, sure, but the purple male had been very...distracted. He wished now that he had been able to speak to him, maybe be able to mourn something more than what might have been. "But that just proves it...if we don't do anything, it's like we're agreeing with what Father's done, what he's doing. Are they so wrong, in that case?"

"You don't have to fight," he said, abruptly changing tack. "Kimondo asked me to plant moon flowers, to remind others of the Great Lion...it's not much, but it's something, you know?" He might have failed, but at least he was trying. He was, of course, oblivious to the fact that Kimondo was the friend that Liuhe was referring to. His tone and posture grew more defensive, almost hunching in on himself as he added, "I'd rather do that than just wait around and hope nobody tries to kill me. The pride can be better than this. We can be better than this."

He scrunched his eyes shut for a moment. Sometimes it felt like everything was trying to pull him in a dozen different directions, and he was still struggling to determine which was the right one.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm
"Kimondo?"

Immediately at the mention of the flower-planting lioness, Liuhe's demeanor changed from sad to confused interest. He didn't know how many lionesses in the pride might share that name but he was confident he knew exactly who his brother was talking about. Kimondo wasn't fighting, she was planting flowers.. and Yueyun was already a part of it. If they weren't discussing where they really ought to stand on the rebellion, he might have thought his brother was in much deeper than he truly was.

The thought of his friend choosing to plant flowers over encouraging the violence made him smile. And suddenly having an explanation.. it did seem like there were more flowers around than before.

"You're right," he said finally, "We can be better than this. We can be better than Father, and we can show them that. Even if Umepatwa isn't here to see it."

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas