Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:03 pm
User Image

The challenge. Halili had gone, as had most of the pride, to see, to witness. With all that had happened, she couldn't even have said for certain which lion she wanted to triumph. It had hurt to watch, to see the King beating Meshach into the dirt. Especially because the Prince wasn't fighting back. She'd held her breath as Shangyue prepared for the final blow -

- only to see her own father rush in as he had so long ago, claws first. And this time she wasn't there, standing in his way. Even if this hadn't been single combat, Halili was no longer certain that she would stand in his way.

She'd been riveted, watching Uchanjaa fight Shangyue. He didn't look or act old, not really, and he'd certainly done better than Meshach. He'd looked like the Guard she'd worshipped as a cub.

Then the unthinkable happened. Uchanjaa fell, struck truly by Shangyue's claws. He ceased to move.

"Father!"

The word had burst out of Halili as she stared at the pile of brown fur and blood that had once been the most important lion in her life. She'd continued to sit, staring, while around her the fight ended, people talked, and dispersed. Eventually the beige lioness came to her senses, stood up, and looked around.

She had to find Orion.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 pm
User Image

Hiding well amongst the crowd of rebels who came to watch, Orion had attended the challenge in hopes of seeing Meshach finally strike down the usurper king.. but that was not what happened. His will to fight had died when he skulked off to officially joint he rebels, but he was among the few to nearly start a riot when Uchanjaa jumped in and tried his damnedest to get the king..

He held his breath, possibly from the moment he saw Uchanjaa until the moment he hit the ground. He was seeing stars by the time he snapped out of it but he didn't move, even when everybody else did. Uchanjaa was dead and Shangyue was king, there was absolutely nothing OK with how this had ended. He could feel it in the air, nobody really thought this was OK, but it was done, now. Even Ota was there, before the king, submitting.

Nobody was paying any attention to him now, surely the king still wanted him dead after what happened but there were more important things to worry about. Orion looked around nervously as he tried to think of what to do, where to go-- and then he saw Halili.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:25 pm
He had to be here. Had to. Halili could not, would not accept that Orion would not have come to see the fight. She scoured the dispersing crowd, growing ever more frustrated, until her pale eyes finally fell on his distinctive markings.

"Orion!" she cried out in relief, rushing over to her mate and pressing her tear-soaked cheek to his. It didn't matter that they'd disagreed so recently on Tyfu's death. Uchanjaa was dead and Shangyue had killed him.

That, Halili could never overlook.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:31 pm
She was crying, he could see that even from a distance, and it felt like his heart broke again in that moment-- but against all expectation, despite everything that had happened to them, she called his name and came rushing up to him. As soon as her cheek touched his, the flood of emotion he'd been suppressing since they parted came rushing back to him and he nuzzled into her, pulling her close. Whatever they had to talk about was a distant worry of far less significance than the fact that she was here with him again.

"I'm sorry," he said, choking back tears of his own, "I'm sorry!"

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:38 pm
"Me too," she whispered, too overcome with emotion to hold anything back, yet unable to speak in a normal tone - as if she was afraid of the world taking her beloved away from her again. The lioness nuzzled her mate fiercely, wetting both their faces with her tears.

"Can you ever forgive me?" She'd said such awful things to him, had been so cruel, had stayed at that murderer's side until he'd destroyed one of the few good things left in her life! She didn't deserve Orion's love.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:53 pm
Just being close to her again, he knew he could forgive her. There may be work left to do, but that was life.. he could give forgiveness now, knowing it would be true in time, and that he would earn hers as well.

"I don't ever want to leave again," he said, "Don't let me."

Right or wrong, whether it had saved his life, her life, or both.. it didn't matter. Walking away from Halili was the hardest, more horrible thing he had ever done and he could never do it again.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:58 pm
"I won't," she promised. "I won't ever let you leave without me ever again." This was...this was home. This was Mwezi'Johari. This was the Great Lion. All of these things were what Orion was to her. Her love, her everything.

Halili finally stepped back so that she could look her mate in the eye. There was something to say, beyond the obvious platitudes they'd both been spouting.

"I was wrong. I should have gone with you after...after Tyfu." She paused, lips twisted in a grimace. "Maybe, if I had, Father wouldn't have had to..." The lioness' words trailed off as her throat closed up, refusing to give voice to the horrible tragedy they'd just witnessed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 pm
Orion leaned forward when she stepped back, nearly following her but he straightened himself up. Everything would be OK now, and they did have to talk. He glanced to his feet when she mentioned Tyfu but snapped right back up when she tailed off talking about her father.

"No," he said, frowning, "I think.. maybe it was inevitable."

Uchanjaa had spent so long waiting for his chance to get at the king. He'd been fighting for it from the moment the pride learned that Shangyue killed mother and dather. Nothing but Shangyue's death could have stopped him.. or his own.

It was too painful to point out that she, technically, had stayed on the right side so far. How many would still fight remained to be seen. They couldn't give up but after what happened, seeing both Meshach and Ota submit.. he wondered.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:11 pm
Halili was quiet as she considered Orion's words. Inevitable? Perhaps. She knew that Uchanjaa hadn't even been half the lion he was before Shangyue's ascent. That was why she'd said such awful things - about it would have been better if he'd died a hero than lived a failure.

And now what was he? Simply dead, and Shangyue still lived.

"I don't even know anymore," she admitted at last, looking up at Orion.

"I just...want to go home." Her lavender eyes pleaded silently with her mate to come with her and help her forget all the tragedy they'd just witnessed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:26 pm
"Me too."

It was an easy answer for something that ought not to be done carelessly. But Shangyue had his victory for now, at least. He would not go hunting for Orion tonight and if it was still to come, there wasn't much he could do but stay with Halili. That was what mattered now, it was where he was supposed to be.

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas