Submit

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 pm
Wih the aid of betweening, the journey to the farming cothold was only a short trip, but to D'zek it felt like forever. He'd spent the whole time listening to Jageth's complaints.

This is pointless. We should be fighting thread.
Thread isn't falling right now. D'zek noted tiredly.
Then we should be training to fight thread. he said, single-minded determination ruling his thoughts. His eyes shifted back to look at his rider, whirring rapidly. Though he said nothing, in a rare show of solidarity, he made it clear with his mind and with his eyes that his anger was not directed at D'zek. And was, at least in part, on his behalf. This is an insult to our abilities. And a waste of time. he added acridly.

D'zek sighed as they touched down outside the Hold. He wasn't sure what Jageth expected when they joined the Weyr.. not a fanfare, but more than they got, perhaps. What he craved most was acknowledgment, respect. But they were greenhorns compared to some of the other riders there. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that they weren't suddenly put in charge of everything the moment they got there.

Pulling his foot from the riding straps, he slid down Jageth's back, then moved around the large creature until he could face him directly. "Look.. Searching is just another part of being in a Weyr. We all have to do our part. That's what we agreed, isn't it?" he said, wondering if Jageth regretted coming back to Western Weyr. Part of him couldn't help but think they'd be better off somewhere like High Reaches.. But Jageth was cracking. His resolve to fight thread at Western hadn't wavered. If this is what they needed to do.. for the good of the Weyr..

Fine. You will do the Search. I will hunt. His muscles flexed low to the ground, preparing to take off.
Jageth, wait! D'zek called after him desperately. Jageth froze but did not change his posture. Shifting his head slightly, he turned angry red eyes onto his rider and waited. D'zek sighed. I'd do it if I could, but it doesn't work like that.. You have to be the one to find the Candidates. I don't even know what to look for.

Jageth said nothing for a while, narrowing his eyes, but eventually he gave in. Fine. Sitting up, he cast his -now orange- eyes across the square, scanning the crowds that had started to gather there. There is no one. Let's go.
Wait.. D'zek said, rolling his eyes. You haven't even looked properly. Come on, be serious. Then, seeing an opening: We can't go back empty handed, so we're here until we find someone. Think how impressed everyone will be if your candidate is chosen.. he added, trying to get him to look on the bright side of things.
Jageth just glared at him. Don't patronize me. he said, testily. If this is what is necessary then this is what must be done. he added with an air of finality.

For his own part, D'zek turned his eyes back to the crowd. They'd sent word ahead that they were coming. The Weyr had declared an official Search be started yesterday, but given that it was the pair's first one, they had been assigned a rather small cothold to start off with. Despite what he said to Jageth, he wondered if they would really find anyone.. He was new to this as well, afterall.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:17 pm
Ever since the cothold had gotten word that someone would be coming on Search, Liana had been beside herself with excitement. There'd never been a Search here, not as long as she could remember. In the past her parents had said there probably never would be, since there was no Thread falling, dragons were spread out everywhere, and the Weyr probably didn't need to hunt in tiny holds like this.

Then Thread started falling after all, and the Weyrs had to get ready to fight it. For the first time ever, she'd started to see dragons high in the sky. They'd stayed high though, too high for her to even clarly make out their colors. Probably surveying the area, people had said. None of them ever landed though, despite all Liana's most fervent wishes that they would. Until now.

All day she'd kept an eye and ear on the sky, waiting for the promised Searchdragon to arrive. And when the winged figure did suddenly appear in the sky, she was the first to spot it. "They're here!" she'd called out to everyone as she rushed to the square to see the dragon land.

The first dragon she ever got a good look at turned out to be a bronze. She gaped at him, surprised that one would be out on Search. Hadn't a Harper once said it was usually blues or greens that did the work? She counted herself double lucky that not only did she get to see a dragon today, she got to see one of the rarer ones. Hopefully she'd be triple lucky and the dragon would pick her out.

DruidTigeress

mewrose

Devoted Librarian

44,865 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Master Librarian 500

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 am
mewrose

Approaching the Hold along with Jageth, D'zek made his formal introductions to the cothold's leaders, before lifting a hand and nodding in awkward greeting to gathering the crowd. He found himself feeling a little self-conscious under the intense scrutiny they were suddenly receiving. Small Hold or not, it seemed like a lot of people to him.. While D'zek was naturally sociable within his circle, he rarely made himself the center of attention. Were they just going to watch them until they made a decision? Fortunately, after a short while, most people (who presumably had only come out to get a look at the dragon) started going about their business again, and the crowd dispersed. Those that remained were mostly people of the right age for impression, or children who fascinated by large bronze dragon.

D'zek, why are the small things touching me?
"They like you."
Well make them stop.
"No can do, buddy." D'zek chuckled. "Anyway.. You know what you're looking for here, right?" D'zek asked, a little anxiously. After all, like him, Jageth had never done this before. That being said, it's not like he didn't have the ability to tell. Whenever they'd witness a Search taking place, Jageth would always smugly call out which people would be chosen as Candidates before the riders even announced it. But he had never showed any interest in doing it for himself.
Yes, I know. Jageth said, looking through the crowd again more seriously than before.

Looking around, D'zek couldn't help but recall the moment when he himself had been Searched. He'd been secretly wishing he would be for some turns then, and when it really happened, it felt like a dream. How different his life would have been if that hasn't happened.. He realized some of these teens and young adults must surely be wishing for the same thing. Yet he also knew not everyone would be chosen. He hated that he would have to bring that kind of disappointment to people.

Speak to that one. Jageth said, invading his train of thought suddenly.
Who?
Jageth's head turned, eyes burning into a girl that did not look much older than his youngest cousin. Maybe 17 or so. Her.
Is she a candidate?
I'm not sure yet. Go speak to her.
Fine, fine.. Dzek sighed, walking over to the girl.

"Er.. Hello there." he said, not quite sure what Jageth wanted from him. "What's your name?"

((posting from my phone, will fix the formatting when I get home))

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 am
DruidTigeress

There was a tense moment (for Liana, anyway) as the dragon started looking around at the gathered holders. Would any of them get picked? Liana was certainly hoping with all her might, that she would, but she knew nobody could force a dragon to pick her. Just like a Candidate couldn't force a hatchling to choose them. That was a recurring theme in Harper songs and stories; nobody knew what the dragons looked for, only that whoever they chose was a perfect match.

When the rider started to head her way, she grew more hopeful. Was he heading for her? Or was someone nearby going to be a Candidate instead. When he actually spoke to her, it was all she could go to keep herself from bouncing eagerly in place, like a small child. It was still not a yes or no yet, but so close!

"I'm Liana!" she told him. Then, very carefully minding her manners so as to make a good impression, she added, "...sir. What's your name? And his?" she asked, looking up at the dragon.  

mewrose

Devoted Librarian

44,865 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Master Librarian 500

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:44 pm
mewrose
Poor Liana. Jageth does not understand the concept of suspense. I can wrap up their conversation next post, if you want, though. Not sure how long you wanted it to go.

"Nice to meet you Liana. I'm D'zek. And this here's Jageth." he said, turning back towards the dappled bronze. He looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to give him some kind of indication, but the dragon neither moved nor spoke a word, just continued looking at the girl, watchfully. He sighed. "Um. So.. how old are you, Liana?" he asked, just trying to think of something to fill the silence.

She is the correct age. I can tell.
I'm just trying to make conversation! You're the one who told me to talk to her.
Your questions are stupid. Ask better ones.
Alright, what do you want me to ask then?

For the first time since the start of their conversation, Jageth stirred. Ask her if she likes to hunt! he said.
D'zek very nearly rolled his eyes again. She's a girl, not a dragon, she doesn't 'hunt'.
You don't know that.

Little as he liked to admit it, Jageth had him there. He looked back at Liana, who was clearly waiting hopefully to be told just why they were talking to her. The concept of keeping people hanging clearly didn't occur to the dragon. "Jageth wants me to ask if you like hunting." he said. "But don't pay much attention to him- That's just the only thing he knows how to talk about." he added, with a scathing look back at his dragon. Only half teasingly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:02 pm
DruidTigeress
I have no preference how long the RP goes. Let Jageth be himself! He'll get to the point eventually, right? razz

"Nice to meet you too," Liana answered promptly. She waited expectantly when D'zek looked over at his dragon...and then there was a long pause. Were they talking to each other? Liana had no idea if there was a way to tell.

When he finally spoke again, it was a simple question, not what she'd been hoping to hear. But she answered promptly, "I'm 16." Plenty old enough to be a Candidate, and plenty young enough to have several years' chance at it. She knew her Harper stories!

There was another pause, and she tried not to fidget impatiently. Did they have much to talk about? Where they talking about her? (She really hoped so, and that they were saying good things.)

The next question caught her off guard, mostly because it seemed so random. "Um...no?" she answered, then in hopes of pleasing Jageth she quickly amended, "At least, I don't know. I've never tried." Her family was farmers, not hunters. Casting about for something that might be comparable, she added, "I can cook, though. I'm a Bakercraft Apprentice."  

mewrose

Devoted Librarian

44,865 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Master Librarian 500

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:37 pm
Told you.
No one likes you anyways. the dragon retorted bitterly.

D'zek turned to watch Jageth as Liana gave her reply. The dragon still hadn't moved much, nor did he give any indication that he was listening to her at all. Well? D'zek asked.
Hmmmm.... Jageth rumbled, long and low, narrowing his eyes as he looked at the girl.
Jageth...
..mmmmm...
Jageth!
..mmmmm... he went on rumbling.

"You're killing us here, buddy." D'zek sighed.

Finally, the stone-like dragon shifted, drawing his head up to its fuller height. He blew a puff of air out from his nose, a minute sign of approval.
Yes. She is one. I don't believe there are others. Can we go now? he asked, turning his eyes towards his rider like a tired child.
Well hang on just a minute. She might not agree, you know?
Why?
She could have family here, for one thing.. Or she might want to continue with her Craft.
That is irrelevant. A dragon may need her. She will come.
"Can I at least ask her first, please?" he said, exasperatedly. Jageth snorted but relented again. D'zek turned to Liana. By now she must of guessed what they were talking about, so he just went ahead and asked her.

"Well, what do you think about becoming a Candiate, Liana? Take your time.. There's a lot to think about. Especially now." he muttered. Part of him almost wanted her to say no, regardless of how fussy Jageth would be about it on the ride home. He looked at her and saw his own young cousin, a girl of only 17 herself. He thought about sending her out to fight thread. To die, perhaps. "It's a dangerous profession." he warned her.

[IC RP] Holds & Halls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games