Submit

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm
With the business of the firelizard hatching having already delayed their departure from Ista, the Derecho and its crew were now at least a sevenday off schedule. With the winds turning against them, Cal had decided to take a detour down to southern continent to pick up some much needed supplies before making the trip back to Western.

He'd been scanning the skies for signs of a storm when he thought he saw something. A flash of green on the horizon.. And it had nothing to do with the setting sun. Though the dragons had to return to land to sleep, it was typical for one or more of their riders to check in with them from time to time while they were out. Still, Neri had popped in only yesterday, and gave no indication that either she nor anyone else would be coming back the following day. Besides, he suspected someone else. Still looking out across the water, he leaned against the side of the ship. Ah.. I did say I would be back by now, didn't I? he realized, guessing that T'sal must have gotten impatient.

"What is it?" a voice asked behind him.
"Trouble." Cal joked, turning back towards his young companion. Finbar turned his head, not catching the humor in his voice.
"Bad weather?" he asked.
Cal laughed, liking the comparison. "Mmm. Something like that." he said. He clapped a hand on his shoulder and nodded to where the others were preparing the smaller boats to go to shore. "You go on with the others. I can handle the rest of things here myself."
"Are you sure?" he asked, glancing back towards the sky nervously, clearly still worried about a storm.
Cal chuckled. "It's fine. Anyway, I'm about to get some help."

About to rope someone into helping him, at least...

Masterharper
Hope this is alright ;^^ Just kind of making things up. Let me know if there's anything I should change

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:38 am
DruidTigeress
This is perfect! How big is the ship, out of curiosity? Is it the sort that could handle a dragon landing on it (like big ol' navy vessels) or is it one of those things she'd want to swim up to or ?? Am happy to change/edit anything.

I see the ship. The gentle voice of Zayinth sounded both excited and pleased. T'sal squinted ahead of him. Even with his riding goggles, the reflection of the sun against the water had left him seeing spots. Thankfully, his lovely green was making good time, and it didn't take long for him to see the vessel better upon the horizon. It certainly looked like Cal's ship. . . Yes, that had to be the one. Better yet, they didn't look to be in any trouble. He could see smaller boats preparing to be off, and the vessel certainly appeared to be in one piece. Excellent.

Tension he hadn't known to be holding immediately disappeared. He wasn't the sort to assume the worst, but he knew that the oceans of Pern could be cruel. Even with dolphins and their pods looking out for those on the water, there were stories enough out of Tillek and the Harpers archives concerning lost vessels and seacrafters just disappearing. Besides, there were pirates, and all sorts of scoundrels out there. By the shells, he was sometimes one such scoundrel, and occasionally traded with some of Pern's unsavory sorts. Marks were marks, after all.

While T'sal hadn't quite thought the worst, he had decided that maybe, just maybe, Zayinth and he would do a little searching. She certainly didn't mind the long flights, and by now he knew a few of their more regular routes or stops. Besides, he was, if he was being completely honest with himself -- and he wasn't -- he had rather missed a particular serious man. T'sal liked his independence, but that didn't mean he was an island. And while he could make a friend in anyone, and had many places he could have gone to spend his time and marks, none of that interested him. No, what he wanted, he had thankfully just found.

The green dragon gave a happy little bugle as she approached. She circled around the vessel, ensuring they knew she was there and meant no harm or trouble. She also took a look at the smaller boats, unsure if she'd need to head to shore with them, or linger near the main ship. Thankfully, she spotted the bearded man, and adjusted herself accordingly. She knew full well who it was her rider had come to see, she did her best to hover up and to the side of where Cal was stationed. "Ahoy there," he called out, giving a lackadaisical wave, and grinning cheekily at the stationed figure. "T'sal of green Zayinth, requesting permission to board, good sir." Oh, there was cheek in his words. His mirth and amusement, and out right self-pleasure at finding his desired prize, was quite apparent. Zayinth herself gave a happy thrum, her riders own delight rubbing off on her.

I told you we'd find them. She added privately to her rider, quite happy that their search was over.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:10 am
Masterharper
Good question.. I've been kind of winging it on the sailing stuff, tbh. It's probably a medium sized ship since they don't have a huge crew... I'm gonna say chromatics would be fine, but anything larger might be an issue..?

Cal lifted a hand to his eyes, watching the small green speck on the horizon grow into a more familiar shape. That was Zayinth alright. He'd never aimed to become an expert in dragon identification, but he could tell the acid tones of Neri's dragon from T'sal's meadowy green from over a mile away now. Just another strange quirk of the job, he supposed.

At some point while he was watching the sky, an almost imperceptible weight landed on shoulder as Darling came over to see what he was looking at. She had grown a lot in the last few days, but not nearly as fast as Finbar's brown, something he had been quietly smug about for the whole last sevenday. If he didn't know how much he fed her himself, he'd wonder if she was getting enough to eat. But some were just destined to be small, he guessed. "All in your own time, eh Darling?" he said, scratching the lizard under her chin. He lifted an arm for her to climb onto, then held it up to the sky and chuckled. The firelizard looked like a Behemoth next to her distant cousin.

Before the dragon could grow any larger, Cal went back to work setting the ship in order. It could hurt his killjoy reputation if he let T'sal catch him taking a break. Picking up a length of rope from the deck, he started to coil it around his forearm absently. Cal had a bad habit of getting tunnel vision when he was out at sea, forgetting everything that wasn't immediately relevant to the welfare of his ship and his crew. Days turned to months like nothing, only seeing the next leg of the journey. T'sal helped him to remember that there was a world outside this ship.

I should be nicer to him for once. He thought, though he knew he probably wouldn't be. I bet he's mad I didn't contact him to say we'd be late... And if he wasn't, he should be. Cal already felt bad about it, not that he was likely to apologize, but he wouldn't blame him for being upset. In fact, it often frustrated him more when T'sal didn't get angry.

"Ahoy!" he called back, though he was pretty sure T'sal was making fun of him. He slung the coil of rope over his shoulder as he waved them down. The light ship could just about take the weight of a green or a blue if they were careful about where they landed. Fortunately, it wasn't the first time they had done this. "I'm glad you're here. I could use some help getting this ship to the dock." he said with a sly grin as he approached the pair. As if that was of that was the only reason he might be happy to see them..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm
DruidTigeress

Zayinth gave a happy rumble, waiting only for Caliban's wave before she lowered herself down upon the ship. She was cautious as she landed, not wanting to rock the ship too much with her added weight. Thankfully, this wasn't a new trick, and was something the dragon had done more than a few times. Her eyes whirled a happy bright blue, settling quickly upon the ship's newest and tiniest green addition.

The firelizard had not gone unnoticed by either of them. Though it surprised T'sal to find Cal with a new companion, he thought it most fitting... and useful. It was another way, potentially, to communicate with the man, especially when so far out to sea. If Cal ever got into real trouble, having a firelizard on hand might mean the creature could be sent to get help, or to send messages. Maybe, he mused, the creature could send little notes or warnings about any potential delays. Ha.

T'sal wasn't mad at Cal, not really. He had been disappointed that the man hadn't made it back to shore, and any welcome he'd planned had gone well out the window as the days dragged on with no sign or word. Any frustration or irritability had been cast aside as the days dragged on and T'sal was able to accept the situation. It wasn't as if they had any formal arrangement, and the green rider certainly didn't want the man to feel pressured into a corner, or spook him away by seeming too over eager; they both had a mutual understanding that their interests often took them well away from one anther, and perhaps that's what made whatever the had work. But T'sal did like him, and found the sailor to be fun company. Whatever they had, it was something the rogueish man wasn't so keen on ending anytime soon, and he did rather hope the bearded man felt the same.

Not that he'd ever admit it.

Sliding down his green's shoulder, the rider looked Cal over appreciatively. "The sea suits you well, doesn't it?" He playfully leered. Or perhaps it was simply the absence. Either way, T'sal wasn't shy about his admiration, though his grin did falter when the Captain expressed his intentions. "Oh, I see," he sighed melodramatically, though there was no vendom behind his words, only amusement. "It's always work, work, work with you, isn't it? I come out all this way, only to be put to the yolk like some herdbeast." He clicked his tongue disapprovingly, before letting his eyes settle on that rope. A wicked little smile was quick to cross his features. "I can think of so many better things we could do with that rope on an empty ship. Are you sure you don't want to stay out here for awhile?"

Zayinth for her part, was more curious bout the little creature settled on Cal's shoulder than their present conversation. It was painfully apparent that she was the only dragon today, but perhaps the little firelizard would make good company. She gave a small thrum as she extended her neck closer to the sailor and his flit, curious to see what the small creature would do now that she was so close.

It was enough to pull T'sal's mind out of the gutter. Instead, he tilted his head, and took a better look at the firelizard. "I'd ask if you missed me, but I see in your gallivanting you've made a new lady friend."

I'm glad he did. Isn't she precious? Far cuter than you, no doubt. Or so his dragon teased.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm
Masterharper

The ship rocked only gently as Zayinth skillfully touched down. Cal ran a hand through his hair, always a little self conscious under the greenrider's gaze. It was getting long again. He should probably get Neri to cut it when they got back to shore. Though he considered asking T'sal whether he preferred it long or short. He folded his arms at T'sal's next comment, only managing to keep a straight face with turns of practice. "Mmm Hmm." he said, unimpressed. Like the thought hadn't occurred to him. It definitely wasn't the reason he'd sent his entire crew back to shore ahead of him....

Right...

"Actually, it's Zayinth's help I wanted." he replied coolly. But it only took a second more of pretense before he cracked, a smile pulling uncontrollably at the corner of his mouth, though he did his best to hide it. He couldn't help it.. It was good to see them. "Buuut... I suppose it can wait. The shore's not going anywhere, after all. And I wouldn't want to trouble her after such a long flight."

Consciously uncrossing his arms, Cal did his best to adopt a more casual posture, as though doing so would have the same effect on his mood. He was more at ease when he was off his ship. Or really just when they were back at home or at a safe harbor. Out here, he felt like he needed to be his crew's anchor; hard and unyielding, even in stormy weather. Somehow just being here put him in that mind set. But it was only the two of them now. There was no reason not to relax a little. Still, he couldn't help feel he was more fun to be around back on dry land.

"Ah! I did.. She's a clingy little thing too so you might be in trouble." he joked, as the two both shifted their focus onto the smaller green dragon kin. He'd been excited to show his new little friend to T'sal, though he was having a bit of trouble training her and hoped to have a little more time. Unfortuantely, the moment the larger dragon leaned towards her, Darling dove for cover behind him. Specifically, down the back of Cal's shirt again. Just as he was trying to finish her introduction. "This is... Ah, for Faranth's sake.. Hiding. Again." He sighed, though with an expression that said this was not an uncommon occurrence. "Do you know how to make them stop that?" Firelizards were independent creatures, or so he been told. If that was true, he and Finbar must have gotten the two odd balls of the clutch. He couldn't convince Darling to go more than a few meters away from him. And even then, as soon as anyone approached she'd shoot back over to him like she was fired from a canon.

Maybe it was curiosity, or the dragon's pleasant humming, but a moment later a small green head poked out from the collar of his shirt, sniffing the air and trilling cautiously. "Oh-ho! She must like you!" he said excitedly. "Most people don't get more than a nose for a candlemark at least. Are you going to say hello, Darling?" he asked, continuing to try and coax out the little green head from beneath its cover. Giving up after a minute, he shrugged and turned back towards the rider. "Well, anyway.. That's what's been keeping me busy. What've you been up to lately? Or do I even want to know?" he asked shrewdly, though with no real disapproval in his voice.

Despite seeming like the most straight-laced law abiding citizen out there, Cal was surprisingly tolerant of some of T'sal's 'alternative' business practices. He wasn't the only person Cal knew with certain less-than-legal activities in their past. In fact, like many of those who sought the freedom of the sea, he had a slightly anti-establishment bias himself. As long as T'sal wasn't out burning boats or killing people, it didn't really bother him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 pm
DruidTigeress
Apologies if my post is a bit rusty tonight. I am like a zombie tonight. Exhaustion has devoured my brain.

"Of course it's Zayinth you want," he'd laugh, reaching out to caress his dragon's neck. "And I don't blame you. I will be the first to confess she is far sweeter, far stronger, and far more useful than I!" Oh, the dark haired man knew that he was ultimately trouble. Unlike Cal who was head of a ship and its crew, or even Zayinth who was stronger than any herdbeast, and far more intelligent, T'sal was more troublesome. He knew that he spent most of his life seeking out some form of pleasure or another, and was the first one to disappear when fun and games turned into work. Honestly, T'sal was surprised that Cal tolerated him so well -- they were opposites in many ways. While T'sal sought out a life of freedom and pleasure, Caliban worked hard while out to sea. Ah, but when their two worlds met, they did seem to have a good time.

A great time, really, and if T'sal had his way he was going to remind the man exactly what he'd left waiting a sevenday ago. "Well," he added with a saucy grin, "Mostly more useful. I think there are a few things I do exceptionally well." He'd simply let Cal fill in the blanks.

While the greenrider had been keen on meeting the little firelizard, he hadn't expected the small creature to be so easily spooked. Zayinth's eyes whirled faster in alarm, touches of yellow mixing in with her bright blue. Though she tried her best to coo assurances at the small one, it was clear the larger creature wasn't entirely sure how to handle the little ones sudden disappearance. T'sal, on the other hand, couldn't keep himself from laughing. "Ah, a lady after my own heart," he teased, finding her antics more than humour. "I don't know how to stop them from hiding, I'm afraid, but I could suggest you strip down to less if you don't like her taking residence there."

Turning his attention directly to the (mostly) hidden Daring, he added, "You have impeccable taste, sweetling. You stay there as long as you'd like." As if T'sal's permission meant anything in this situation. Still, he couldn't help but be amused by the skittish little creature.

You're right, love. She is rather precious. He sent a fond confession over to Zayinth, knowing how she'd appreciate his agreement in the matter. In this case, what he said was also true. There was no denying the baby flits sweetness, even if she was skittish. While he'd like to get a better look at the girl, he wasn't going to press or scare her further. No, perhaps in time she'd relax around them -- Faranth knew Zayinth would love to have a little firelizard to coo over.

The green dragon, for her part, did seem to relax as soon as Darling peeked out and trilled. Her eyes whirled more quickly, this time in excitement, and she gave a happy if not slightly louder hum in return. The green knew that the little baby was just that -- little -- and her maternal instincts couldn't help but surface. Gently, tentatively, she did reach out to send the little creature a gentle wave of greeting and assurance; she didn't want Darling afraid, but also didn't want to make any loud movement or noise to further frighten her. So she remained perfectly still, but kept her gaze firmly focused on Darling... what little of her she could see.

Come out, come out, little precious one. I won't hurt you.

T'sal, for his part, was pleased at the reaction -- and Cal's pleasure. "Well, like I said before," he grinned ever so smugly. "She has good taste." Both in the shirts she chose to hide in, and the company she chose to keep. "I suppose I'll forgive your delay this time. It's not everyday a good looking man gets swept away by a lady, but it was bound to happen I suppose. Its the sort of stuff Harper's tales are made of, after all. While you were out and about impressing this one, I was enjoying the fineries of some of Igen and Nerat. Don't worry," he mused, "I promise everything I did was legal. Mostly. Ish." That was a fair enough assessment. "With Thread back, it's been a bit difficult staying in one spot for long. And some of my old haunts... well, even almost a Turn later and they're still trying to recover."

Thread. Bah. That sliver of guilt he'd been ignoring bubbled up briefly, but the green rider did his best to ignore it. He was't giving up his freedom to go back to one of those places. Nope, nope, nope. Let others fight. Surely, there were enough that one rider wouldn't make a difference. "You guys have been handling it all right, yeah?" He arched a brow, a moments seriousness setting in. It was obvious their ship hadn't been devoured, but that didn't mean they hadn't run into Pern's great enemy, or seen it while at port.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:19 am
Masterharper

"Hmm. True. I'm not sure why she even brings you at all sometimes." Cal deadpanned. He often teased (both T'sal and his friends) that the dragon was the better half of the 'dragonrider' pair. But while he may joke that Zayinth was kinder, or better conversation.. She wasn't who he was thinking about when they were apart. As always, though, he couldn't resist the opportunity to tease. "Are there? I can't seem to recall.." he muttered as though he were really trying to remember. He enjoyed needling T'sal far more than he ought to, though often with positive results.

He clicked his tongue at the rider's 'advice', still somewhat exasperated with the flitt's behavior. "Like you need an excuse to get my clothes off." he retorted jokingly. He folded his arms and frowned, not appreciating T'sal giving it permission to remain in his shirt indefinitely. Fortunately, despite his words, Darling continued to emerge bit by bit, until most of her neck and shoulders were now visible. She extended her long neck towards the dragon curiously, turning her head from side to side. Cal wondered if it was like looking in a giant mirror to her. "Well, thank you, T'sal. You've been entirely unhelpful." he grumbled back at him. Unlike his dragon, whose gentle humming and soothing thoughts continued to bring the baby 'lizard out of its shell. Case rather in point to their previous topic.

At least the flitt seemed to have absorbed some of the blame for his delayed arrival. Though he rolled his eyes at T'sal's lengthy metaphor, it was nice to know he wasn't getting himself into too much trouble. "That's good. I'd ask you if you're taking care of yourself, but I'm sure Zayinth has that covered."

Cal nodded silently, his eyes dropping to the deck as the subject moved on to something more serious. Not since the first night had they lost anyone to thread, but even seven months on, those deaths still resonated strongly. "We've been fine, yeah. It's just hurting business. That's part of why we're late, actually." Normally when they escorted a ship up to Northern continent, they would try to find another job coming back the other way. But people were afraid to go to sea now, especially on the longer journeys, across open water, where unpredictable weather meant no amount of charts or forecasts could ever guarantee you wouldn't be caught out in a fall. He'd been hoping to do enough trade in Ista to make up for the deficit, but things had been slow there too. That said, there probably weren't many professions out there that hadn't been hit by threadfall one way or another. In any case, trying to shunt the blame onto thread seemed kinder than trying to shunt it onto Darling.

He was more grateful than he would say that T'sal had chosen not to return to a Weyr with the return of thread. Besides the constant danger, he couldn't imagine him in that kind of rigid, militaristic environment. His free spirit was part of what he found so appealing about the man. On the other hand, he knew the constant pull a dragon provided when it came to Pern's ancient enemy. Their group was pretty close-knit, and most riders had chosen to remain when thread returned, but even so he couldn't relax. For the last seven months a lingering fear had hung over him that any day T'sal or one of his friends might suddenly decided to return to a Weyr. "The dragons are getting restless." he admitted, a touch of worry creeping into his voice. "Some of them want to fight it... I don't know." Shaking his head, he sighed and ran a hand across his forehead tiredly. "Leave it to the Weyrs, I say. That's what they're good for, right?"

He could barely stand them risking their lives as much as they were now. For them to go out, day after day, month after month, as the riders in the Weyr did... If he thought about it too much, it would drive him crazy. Fortunately he had a perfect distraction right here. He looked at T'sal from under his hand. "Did I ever give you the full tour of the ship?" he asked, with a devious glint showing through his eyes.... "Want to start with the cabins?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:15 pm
DruidTigeress
This only took forever, sorry!

T'sal, thankfully, took all of Cal's comments in stride. His eyes sparkled with mirth even as the sailor pondered aloud his good qualities. "Well, maybe later, I'll remind you of some of my finer traits. You've been out to sea too long if you've already forgotten." Mmm. Yes, it would be quite fine to make sure the man remembered who it was he'd kept waiting all this time. Maybe a little punishment would be in order. "And don't even begin to say it's not that memorable. You and I both know that'd be a lie." He smirked cheekily up at the man, ever confident in at least that sort of skill. If Cal found him easily forgettable, or didn't enjoy their time spent, then their -- whatever this was -- wouldn't have carried on as long as it had. As it was, he knew damn well it wasn't solely his charming personality that the sailor liked.

When the conversation turned towards Thread and business, the man couldn't help but make a slight face. He crossed his arms, and let his brows knit, and his own features pull into a slight frown. "I don't suppose it's going to get any better anytime soon, but surely, folks can't hibernate for fifty Turns. Trade can't stop just 'cause Thread returned. I'm sure business will pick up again." True as that might be, there was never any guaranteed work or jobs to be had. And even if business resumed, it might take on a different form.

It wasn't always fun and games with T'sal -- and Threadfall was a topic that could well pull him from his usual jovial mood. That first fall had been tragic, and the memory of it hadn't yet left the greenrider. It haunted him so much he spent most of his time doing all in his power to out pace the system; if he saw that silvery stuff again it would be too soon. Perhaps that was the coward in him. Then again, there was reason to keep Zayinth away. Every time they ran into the stuff, or popped in too close to its trailing edge, his lovely lady all but became a different person. She wanted to fight the great enemy, but T'sal just couldn't return to the Weyr. He'd never admit to Cal that sometimes he wondered if he was being selfish; if putting his own desires ahead of her own was somehow abusive or neglectful. And yet, wasn't he also saving her life? Thread could kill. Surely, there were enough dragons out there to fight it. What would one green rider do to change the tide of the war?

"Leave it to the Weyr is right," he concurred. "That's the purpose of the Weyrfolk, after all. Fight and defend, glory and honor and sacrifice, and all that." He gave a firm nod and a small shrug. "I'll hope, for your sake, that none of them make such a decision. Pern still needs its non-traditional riders and getting trapped at a Weyr doesn't sound like much of a good time for anyone. Too much risk, not enough payout, or so says the trader in me." No, T'sal wasn't going to stick his -- or Zayinth's -- neck out like other riders might. And he hoped Cal's crew had enogh sense to do the same.

Let the rest of Pern fight it. It wasn't as if there was a shortage of dragons, or wannabe heroes.

Zayinth, for her part, offered another gentle croon; this time it was directed fully at the stressed sea man. Her eyes whirled a gentle blue, and she tore her gaze away from Darling to give the man a long look. His stress was palpable, and she wanted to offer him comfort and assurance, too.

Thankfully, it seemed as if Cal was ready for a distraction, and T'sal was only too willing. If he hadn't brought up a new string of conversation, the green rider most definitely would have. "Oh, I don't recall ever getting the full tour," he lied, knowing damn well he knew his way around the ship well enough. But Red Star be damned he wasn't going to throw away such a choice opportunity. "I think a tour of the cabins sounds perfect. Zayinth can keep watch here while she soaks in the last of the sunshine, and I get an intimate tour of your ship." Very intimate if he had his way.

So it was, the man moved closer to where Cal stood. He didn't want to upset Darling, or startle her, but sooner or later the little green was going to have to make a little room for T'sal. "I didn't fly out all this way just to talk about the weather, after all."

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 pm
Masterharper

"I guess you'll just have to jog my memory then." he said, knowing full well that the dragonrider was up to the challenge. He wasn't sure if there was such a thing as being 'out to sea too long' for someone like him, but he was only too happy to have T'sal remind him. And he was maybe, maybe provoking him a little on purpose.

He couldn't stop himself from sighing as he thought about threadfall again. "No, you're right... It's sure to pick up sooner or later. People can't stay cooped up forever." he agreed, although that worried him in its own way. Soon enough, necessity or greed would begin to overcome caution and people would start taking risks. In the hundreds of years since thread had been gone, the necessary knowledge had mostly been lost. Things would inevitably go wrong, people would get hurt.. How many thread-scored ships would they be called to save before watching them sink to the bottom of the ocean? How many lives would be lost to its all-consuming rain?

Fortunately, before he could think on that too long, Zayinth's worried croon distracted him. He smiled at the dragon, wanting to ease her worry the same as if he could feel it in his mind the way T'sal did. Although he never impressed to one himself, Cal still felt blessed by the dragons in his life. He gave her what he hoped was a convincing smile as he uncrossed his arms with a small shrug. "It's fine. We're fine. As far as I know, no one's planning to go back to the Weyr any time soon." he said, not mentioning that several of them wanted the group to fight thread on their own without it.

Leave it to the Weyr. He was, at least, relieved to hear T'sal agree with him on that. Ultimately, he knew it was a decision that he and Zayinth would come to on their own, but if his opinion had any sway, he was firmly in favor of them remaining as they were. "Pern needs more riders like you too. I'd hate to see thread kill the joy in the world. Some people act like it's a crime to be happy these days." Thread was awful, true. But there were people acting like that was all that mattered now. Like if you didn't drop everything to join the cause, you were somehow being selfish. That applied to everyone, to a certain extent, but dragon riders got it worst of all.

His hand moved to T'sal's side for a moment as the rider drew nearer, close in a way that set his heartbeat racing. Ah, shells... He was starting to remember some of those 'finer traits' T'sal was talking about before. With one wing and most of her upper body now having emerged from his collar, Cal was able to extract the rest of Darling from his shirt and set her down on the end of Zayinth's nose. He didn't know if this would annoy the adult dragon, but for her part, Darling seemed content to remain there, having apparently sensed a kindred spirit in the larger green cousin. He chuckled, turning to T'sal. "Let's go?" he said with the intonation of a question, though he didn't really need to ask.

Down a small staircase was the second level, sandwiched between the deck and the main cargo hold. The stairwell led to a narrow hallway, lined with bunks and hammocks, at the end of which was the captain's quarters. Cal usually kept his door propped open, not liking the sense of superiority or separation that a closed door seemed to imply (plus he preferred it if his crew could get a hold him easily), but even though there was no one else around, he still kicked the prop out of the door instinctively and let it swing closed behind him as they entered the room. It wasn't huge, though it was one of the larger rooms on the ship. A bed was pushed up against one wall with a trunk at its end, and the rest of the space was mostly taken up by a large wooden desk. "Not the lap of luxury you're used to, I'm sure. But hopefully I can make up for that." he said, moving back over to the rider, now that there was no flitt to get between them. His hand moved to T'sal's collar, gently pulling him closer. Whatever game he was playing before, he knew he had lost it. He could act cold all he wanted, but give them one minute alone together and he was always the first one to lose his cool. T'sal had that unbeatable swagger that was as frustrating as it was attractive. It was impossible to pretend he didn't want it.

"So what did you fly all the way out here for?" he asked, grinning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 am
DruidTigeress
So, I did my best not to post Cal, but also sort of assumed he probably wouldn't object to a more affectionate T'sal. I'm happy to edit/adjust anything you need. I'm also giving you the okay to pose T'sal as needed.

T'sal wasn't completely unaware of his companion's unspoken worry. Anxiety had seemingly gripped all of Pern with Thread's surprise return. Everybody's lifestyle had been flipped upside down, and it seemed as if there was a constant struggle trying to find a new normal. While it was easy for T'sal to feel the growing pressure to return to a Weyr, to do his duty, he wasn't so self-absorbed to know that non-riders felt the pressure of change, too. Cal and his crew were all seafolk, and no amount of charts or Threadfall patterns could ensure a reliable journey. There was uncertainty everywhere, and if those in his group wanted to fight Thread, that was yet another stress on top of the day-to-day.

Cal might not want his sea faring riders to fight, but T'sal had to wonder how exactly he'd stop them if they did wish to rise up and fight? Mmph. Perhaps not a question to ponder now. No, T'sal didn't much care what happened tomorrow. He was ready to think about today, and most importantly, the here and now. His poor Captain looked like he could use some stress relief and more than a little bit of a distraction from his worries. Thankfully, that was something he knew he could provide, and would.

"If it's a crime to be happy, than by the time I take my leave of you, we'll both be fugitives." He let a smirk cross his features, his eyes bright with delight at such a prospect. He had a few tricks up his sleeves, and more than a few tactics he hoped would work well on Cal.

Zayinth, for her part, didn't seem to mind the little fire-lizard's company upon her nose. The delicate creature was hardly more than a hatchling, and the dragon's eyes whirled a mix of blue-green in pleasure. She very carefully lowered herself to a resting position, though her entire focus was on Darling.

"Tch," T'sal glanced at his green and gave a dismissive shake of his head. "I suspect she's going to want to find a clutch all her own after today. Let me know if you find any more of those coveted clutches, will ya? I think she'd probably like something to mother." Leave it to his sweety of a lady to cramp his style. He certainly didn't need one of the little things, but, if Zayinth wanted it, than Zayinth would get it. At least that's how T'sal rolled. There were only two individuals who might have him wrapped around their fingers, and they were both present and accounted for on the ship.

"Mm, but at least that'll keep her distracted from our little ship tour, eh?" He grinned, following Cal as the man lead him to quieter and more private areas of the ship. It took all his willpower not to slip an arm around him, and even more to wait to get to his quarters.

The room, well, T'sal didn't care two marks about it's size. It was quiet, it was cozy, and right now it was just meant for the two of them. While it was true that the greenrider was a terrible hedonist, and loved nothing more than spending his marks on the best fineries Pern had to offer, right now, his focus was on something else entirely. "The room is perfect," he admitted, almost in a purr. When Cal pulled tugged on his collar, T'sal didn't hesitate to bridge that distance between them. He slipped his arms about the others waist, finally managing to capture the other in an overdue and covetous embrace. It was an embrace he had no intention of ending anytime soon. "Besides, it's not the room the matters, but the company. And I think you're more fine than a smooth Benden wine," he grinned, not worried about his silly line. "And you'll go down just as nicely."

With that, T'sal could wait no more. He slipped one arm around the others neck, and pulled him in for a kiss. If Cal really needed to know what he was there for, he'd waste no time in showing him. He'd missed the sailor, and while he might not say so directly, his every touch said as much. It wasn't everyday he got to have an empty ship with the Captain, after all. If Cal had forgotten his touch or his lips, he planned on giving him a thorough reminder.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm
Masterharper
Sorry this is short! Feel free to move/pose/time-skip as you please. You can assume Cal is fine with whatever x3

Though she crouched low to keep her balance, the baby firelizard was otherwise unperturbed by the dragon's movement. While she seemed uncertain of the perch her cruel human abandoned her on at first, the green dragon's gentle crooning was comforting and she soon settled down. Cal smiled at the dragon and lizard. She was a sweet one. They both were, in fact. They made a pretty pair, with Zayinth's tiny little twin perched on the end of her nose.

He wondered if he would really need to go egg hunting now. He didn't know how serious T'sal was being, but he knew he would do almost anything to make Zayinth happy. And, honestly, most of the time Cal felt the same. "Doesn't she get enough of that mothering you?" he teased him. But in all seriousness, he nodded his head, continuing, "I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them in the future," he promised. "I knew they liked to clutch by the shore, but until a few days ago I never actually knew what to look for." He'd seen a few wild flits before as a child, but only ever as adults, never as eggs. So the hatching was something new to him too. "I just wonder if I'll ever get her back," he laughed, looking back at the dragon and lizard. "She does tend to get attached to things."

He looked back at T'sal with a knowing grin as they headed down the stairs. Astute as always, it was good to know his ulterior motives weren't lost on the man. It was good, also, that he seemed to know just what Cal wanted. As soon as he moved closer, the hand that wasn't on T'sal's collar moved to the side of his head, running through his hair. "You're terrible." he said, laughing at his joke nonetheless. At least, he assumed it was a joke. It was hard for him to take a line like that seriously, especially when directed at him. But T'sal was the only person he knew who had the confidence to say something like that with a straight face, and corny lines were all part of his charm.

If T'sal didn't kiss him then, Cal would have. Some people said that absence made the heart grow fonder, but for him it was surely the opposite. When he was out on a job he rarely thought of anything else. But the closer he was to T'sal, the closer he wanted to be. Now that he was here, close enough to touch, he was all he could think about. He took a short breath when their lips broke apart, only to immediately kiss him again. "If one of us is like a wine it's you. I could get drunk off of you." he sighed into his neck, no longer caring if he sounded silly himself. Time to make like a dragon's weyr and cave... "I missed you." he admitted, at last. Not that it was really a secret. He always missed him, he just didn't always realize it until he saw him again. "Sorry I didn't tell you I'd be late."

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 pm
DruidTigeress

Zayinth was pleased that her little cousin seemed more relaxed. She immediately forgot about T'sal, and instead focused only on the little creature. Darling was still a baby, which had not gone unnoticed by the green, and she wanted nothing more than to fuss over the delicate little one. She also did not wish to scare her, so instead, she held her neck as still as possible, and simply sent little waves of friendship and reassurance. Slowly, ever so slowly, she slid down to her belly, to better stretch out on the vessel. Knowing her rider, it would be some time before he returned, and she would much prefer not to spook the little baby.

Let her rider go off and have his fun. She was just glad to have some company aboard the ship.

T'sal wasn't a needy man, but he was, perhaps, overly fond of the sailor. They'd been "friends" for a few Turns, and while he may have originally thought of Cal as nothing but fun, it was unusual for that fun to last long. He assumed it was simply because they were rarely together for too long. T'sal was a trader by nature, and often jumped around Pern to see the sights, barter goods, and drop by a Gather to do business. He also had to make social calls, if only to keep himself in good standing with a few of his patrons for his lavish lifestyle. He was a solid trader, but he was by no means rich. Cal, he knew, would always be a sailor. His first love was he sea, just as T'sal's would always be Zayinth -- but T'sal would be lying to himself if he didn't hope he made it to at least into Cal's top ten of favorite things.

They had a good -- no great -- time when they were together. And maybe that's what made things work.

T'sal's hands were possessive as they ran over the other man, reminding himself well of what had been missed. The other's back-to-back confessions almost starteled the green rider, but in the best way. He certainly enjoyed the attention and knowing how quiet and reserved the other could be, he was glad to know he got under his skin a little. "Mmm," he almost purred against that kiss, before taking to the others neck. "I will confess to having been disappointed as the days dragged on with no sight of your ship. But I have no doubt we can make up for some lost time. Now shut up and kiss me like you mean it," he commanded, pulling Cal down onto that bed. He was going to take full advantage of this situation while he could.

~ ~ ~

T'sal wanted Cal drunk off him. The rocking of the boat upon the ocean waves helped with the effect. He was the sort of man who knew how to get what he wanted, and while he was more than keen for the others attention, he was going to savor the moment. He wasn't sure how much time had passed, but it didn't matter. They had all the time in the world, didn't they?

Except for the sudden crack of thunder. It was loud -- and close enough -- to startle T'sal from his kisses. He also felt Zayinth stir from the nap she had settled into, and a shred of concern seep through his lusty thoughts. The rocking of the boat was starting to get stronger, and as much as T'sal desperately wanted it to just be a little dollop of rain, something in his gut told him otherwise.

He glanced over at Cal and arched a brow. He'd take his cues from the sea captain. "Zayinth seems a bit worried about the turn in weather," he added with a grudging sigh, moving off the man, and glaring at what bits of clothes had been removed. Really, this was going to happen now?

A strong gust of wind, and another crack of thunder confirmed that yes, it really was.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

[IC RP] Holds & Halls

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas