Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Epine de Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 am
User ImageUser Image User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 am
"So this whole isolationist thing, what's the deal?" Ra had finally settled them much lower on the slope, ensuring that Durama and Gus would have the opportunity to warm up. They were already given a clean bill of health, Nodi had inspected them both thoroughly (including their paws) before allowing them to relax, but it was still in their best interests to rest for a while and recover. By the sounds of it, they had been travelling a considerable amount of time anyway and deserved the pause, an extra hour or two wasn't going to permanently destroy Durama's timeline to return home anyway.

...All the detours had already done that.

"Is it for defence purposes or are you all just antisocial?" he continued, tossing Gus a leg of meat.

Durama wrinkled his nose, but soon settled again as Nodi offered him a more appropriate snack for his delicate stomach. It was the perfect opportunity to explore what foods were on offer up here, they were undeniably different than the ones at home and he might even find something he liked. No one could ever say that this particular individual didn't have an adventurous side to him, he was entitled to some credit in that respect.

"A combination of both I suppose," Gus replied after a moment or two of consideration. Honestly, the 'gate' had been shut to the outside world for as long as he could remember. As he had grown up it was simply one of those 'things', a feature of their home and one that was unlikely to change any time soon. This had of course changed somewhat whenever Durama had stumbled upon their lands, but Gus doubted it would leave lasting effects. The only way he could see those gates opening permanently was if the dragon priests and their prophecy, were proven to be true (and quite frankly he didn't buy in to it).

"We've never needed supplies from the outside world, we've always had what we needed within our home so the necessity to explore simply wasn't there," he explained as he regarded his meal. He then pursed his lips and shook his head, he still didn't understand why the Justicar was even out here, no one had been able to provide that information and the others had exactly been forthcoming. Worse; none of the guards or those of authority at the gates could even recall ever bidding the Justicar farewell so they were still attempting to work out how he had left in the first place!

"We have a significant amount of internal strife, it has it's lulls and then it flares up," he confessed.

"It's that what we're calling that wasteland?" Durama asked glumly as he looked up from his meal. He could recall that dead land vividly, completely destroyed and devoid of any life, if only because it seemed to be ground zero for every battle in existence. He had seen both sides now, one prowling openly during the day...and then the other than moved without sound in the dead of night. No matter what each side represented, it seemed that that particular location was of strategic importance, even if he didn't understand why...

"So you did go into a place you weren't meant to," Gus remarked and raised his brow, it went sky high. Even he hadn't been trained to go there, it was only there most elite that entered and even then, they very rarely returned. Once you crossed into that land you were there for good, until one side succeeded.

"Wasteland, doesn't sound like an overly pleasant place to visit," Nodi remarked and tilted his head to the side. "I'm assuming that's only one part of it if you can live without too much issue."

"It is," Gus confirmed. "It's a very specific region in our lands, the rest is perfectly safe and functions as any pride might. However that internal politics isn't something we would expect outsiders to understand, or be willing to involve themselves in," he remarked.

"That's a long a** battle if it's still on-going, you must have been unknown to this region for what, a good four or five generations then?"

"Possibly longer," Gus shrugged.

"The hell are you fighting over that would take that long to fix?" Ra marveled.

"It's a complex issue and it isn't one that I understand entirely myself," Gus admitted. "Would you like the long version or the abridged version?"

"I'm going to go with...abridged," Nodi replied and glanced at Durama and Ra for confirmation, they both gave him the nod of agreement he was looking for.

"Well, we have nobles who believe in a very specific way of life - they regularly attempt to rile the masses to the point that they achieve their aims," Gus began and clucked his tongue. "Then you have the Scourge, I can only describe them as a cult, but they massacre anything that gets in their way in pursuit of resurrecting their god..." he paused briefly and pursed his lips. "At least I think that's what they're fighting about, their zeal is worthy of respect even if their behaviour isn't," he admitted. "Then you have the Justicars who are in the middle of it all who attempt to maintain the status quo so that those of a 'lesser' lineage like me can't be abused by the more traditionally bred ranks...all while attempting to combat the resurgence of the Scourge."

"That job sounds awful," Nodi murmured; Durama meanwhile, seemed to have a new found respect for the Justicar he happened to know.

"I can't say I envy their position, no... But I am eternally grateful for the fact they exist," Gus chuckled.

"So who's this god then, a fairy tale or...?" Ra hazarded.

"I don't know," Gus replied honestly and sighed. "For all I know it could be real, it could be false, but this is a battle that has been going on for more generations than I can count between both parties," he pointed out. "The cultists very firmly believe in their deity and the necessity to raise him, and in order to do that, they believe the world needs to be purged. We on the other hand, very much disagree with the prospect of resurrecting something that could annihilate us, and would very much prefer that it didn't reappear," he added. "According to our own teachings, the remaining deities deliberately cast him into the depths in order to save us from absolute destruction...so I can't say I really understand why they want that destruction to come back," he mused.

"Ah, so they're those kind of cultists," Ra replied at last and raised a brow. "They must be an absolute blast at parties," he added.

"I wouldn't know, I've never met one," Gus clucked his tongue. "Don't imagine I'd want to either, they're not exactly diplomatic."

"They aren't?" Durama seemed momentarily confused based on his own encounter with the black lioness.

"When the scourge attack, they take what they want. If you get in their way you will be executed, however, if you let them take what they wish...you will be spared," he shrugged. "They don't ask questions, they don't even make demands, they just act. If I had to take a guess I would say they're the world's worst conversationalists."

"I don't know I think I might reserve that title for Peregrine," Durama muttered vaguely, he was greeted with a 'who' expression from all three in his company and he shrugged. "My companion, he's got terrible social skills sometimes," he explained.

"Regardless, I'd prefer to avoid them if I can," he smiled.

"Good to know, but I've got one more question regarding it," Ra interjected and Gus peered at him curiously.

"What do they look like? This seems like a valuable piece of information to have," Nodi stated.

"Monsters," Gus replied quietly and closed his eyes. "Coats as black as night, blood red eyes that you only see at the very last moment, and a terrifying grin when the end has come," he continued. "You can't see them, you can't hear them, by the time you know they're there it's often too late," he trailed off and opened his eyes again. Ra and Nodi seemed to have simply taken the information on board, but Durama seemed a little more disturbed. "Are you all right?"

"Just red eyes...?" Durama hazarded.

"White, for females," Gus clarified. "Why?"

"I think I might have met one..." he murmured softly and furrowed his brow. She had seemed so nice too, but then again, she also hadn't made any secrets of the attack on Spectre's home and the casualties that had been involved. She hadn't seemed to mourn the losses, or regard the lack of burial as disrespectful or disturbing.

"At least you came out of that one alive then, eh?" Nodi offered merrily and shook his head. "Seemed like you weren't on the list for them if that's the case," he added.

"Aye, maybe rabbits can't raise deities," Ra agreed.

"Not enough meat on our bones," Nodi grinned and dished out more of his roots to Durama. "Still, think I might give that there land of yours a bit of a miss. If I ever need a holiday I'll head on out to the Bahari, weather and the denizens sound a hell of a lot more inviting," he paused and waved a root at Gus. "No offence intended, but I don't fancy offending the wrong folks and ending up losing my head."

"None taken," Gus replied with a wry smile. "I honestly wouldn't either, I have to confess I'm rather curious about how the Bahari might be..."

"Well, you'll find out soon enough," Ra tucked in to his own meal. "So long as you follow the directions, it shouldn't take you all that long to get there, then you can kick your paws up for a little while before heading on home again."

"It will no doubt be an enlightening experience," the pale lion agreed.

Words: 1669

Epine de Rose

[IC] Schnee la Neige'milima Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces