DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 am
Masterharper

While waves lapped at the shore, a fire crackled pleasantly on the beach, and the sun, though still glossy and golden, hung low on the horizon. They'd come out on dragonback. Though the island was beautiful, the shallow waters surrounding it were choked with tangled weeds, making it hard to get the boats there. It also meant it was a beautifully isolated spot.

Cal was watching the waves gently swell and break against the shore, his head resting on Neri's lap while she played with his hair. They'd been fishing earlier, and the catch was blackening above the fire, filling the small beach with the rich smell of cooking.

"You know I feel kind of bad having fun while Alloth is out here all alone."
"Okay.." Neri said, wondering where he was going with this.
"She's friends with Zayinth, isn't she..?" he asked. Ah, so that was where.

Leaning forward, she put her hands on the sides of his head, gazing at him reproachfully. "For being one of the most honest people I know, Cal, you're one of the least honest people that I know."
"That doesn't make any sense." he said after a moment.
"Just tell him you want to see him."
Caliban made a face. "Ugh.. No way. Can you imagine how smug he would look? He's a cocky enough b*****d as he is, he doesn't need any help." Not that he didn't find that insanely attractive, but.. Hmm. He actually didn't have a follow up to that.

Neri sighed, leaning her hands back in the sand. Men. "Well, fine. But could you at least stop using my dragon to an excuse to see your weyrmate?"
"I don't really think he's my 'weyrmate'." Cal said, nearly laughing at the use of the dragonrider term.
And it would be nice to see Zayinth again. Alloth added, helpfully (or unhelpfully, depending on who you were)

Sighing, Neri waved her hand relenting, and Cal rolled up onto his knees, no longer able to conceal his smile, or pretend that this was was only about Alloth. "Just.. Mention we're having a barbeque." he told the dragon. "And that there's extra food if he's hungry." Not that he'd caught extra on purpose because he had this in mind..

The dragon nodded, and reached out delicately for the other's mind. Zayinth are you busy now? Me and mine are at the beach. The sun is lovely here if you would like to join us. My rider and her friend have made some food and there is plenty extra if yours is hungry. she said with pointed intonation. Zayinth would surely know which 'friend' she was talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:50 pm
DruidTigeress

T'sal stared critically at the looking glass, lifting and lowing his chin, and turning his head from one side to the next. "What do you think, Zay? It has its own sort of rugged charm, right?" The man was looking a bit worse for wear -- he had a fine black and blue eye, and a few new cuts on his face and arms. Still, the wounds were healing, and he could easily imagine it just made him look that much more good looking.

Will he like it? The green asked, her irritation at her riders idiocy apparent.

"Ha. Maybe? I don't know. But what does that matter? He's long out to sea-- By the time we meet again he'll be none the wiser." T'sal knew well who Zayinth was asking about, but was quick to brush her query off. It honestly didn't matter. The two of them only saw one another every now, often with weeks, or months between. Cal was captain of a ship, and was smitten by the sea; T'sal had trade and contacts to keep with on the mainland. Neither of them asked too many questions about the others activities between their meetings; and that was just fine, wasn't it? Cal didn't need to know the sort of trouble T'sal frequently found himself in, and T'sal didn't need to know all the near-death scrapes Cal probably had to get out of. The sea wasn't a kind lady, after all. Ah, but their duties aside, when they did come together, it was (usually) nothing but a great time.

Mph. A time T'sal liked more and more, though he tried hard to keep such foolish thoughts tossed to the wayside. Cal and he had an understanding, of sorts. They were . . . friends? Friends with benefits? Occasional lovers?... Whatever they were, they had fun, and neither had a desire to complicate things. While T'sal had thought their little game would end after a few months, strangely enough, they'd kept up the affair for Turns now.

Foolish of him, really, but he couldn't help it. He liked the serious Captain. He liked the man's dry humor. He liked the way he took himself so seriously; he liked the way he cared so damn much about his crew and his ships; he liked the way he could be so passionate about the ocean... in a way that almost made T'sal jealous. They were as different as night and day, but oh, they did have a good time of it, didn't they? T'sal thought so, and he could not deny he didn't enjoy getting an excuse to see him again.

But it would be some time yet. Time enough for these battle wounds to heal, at any rate.

You should have let him win. Zayinth grumbled from her perch in the courtyard.

And let that lying two-faced Bitran walk away with the whole kitty? I saw him slip that card up his sleeve. I'd put too many marks down to let him just take it all, I don't care how many of his friends were at that table.

Zayinth was unimpressed. T'sal, for his part, didn't think the fight was that big of a deal. A few hard knocks, but he'd kept all his teeth, and had his own friends back him up. He was a regular at some of Bitra's finer gambling houses, and if he'd made a new enemy, so what? He might be a con and a thief, but he wouldn't stand to be cheated himself.

It was then that Zayinth felt Alloth's light touch and query. The green dragon's mood brightened considerably. This would get them out of Bitra, and hopefully allow T'sal some time to forget about gambling, trading, or thieving. At least for a little while, maybe. Zayinth liked how honest Caliban was, and while her rider never meant true harm, he did have a way of attracting trouble when trying to earn some marks. Alloth, dear, what a delight to hear from you. Mine is quite interested, and a step away from Bitra would be most delightful for me. Might you send me your coordinates?

No, Zayinth wasn't going to ask Hers. She already knew what the answer would be, and would demand her way if he was obstinate.

To T'sal, she added Mine, Alloth and hers are settled nicely down to dinner. We've been invited, and I think he will be there. Might we go? She added a small, petulant creel at the end of her query, sending a wave of fondness, and wistfulness, to her beloved rider.

Zayinth was lonely. She didn't often get to visit with other dragons, especially with Thread having returned. Some spurned her due to her lack of duty; others were just too busy. It wasn't easy being an unaffiliated and lonely green, and T'sal didn't dare deny her a chance to be social with a kind green. Even if Caliban hadn't been there, he would have gone for his green's sake. But oh, to get to see that man...

"Certainly, pet! You know I'd give you anything." It was the truth, more or less. If there was one woman in the world that had T'sal wrapped around her finger, it was Zayinth.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It didn't take too long to get ready to go. If he'd changed clothes to something just a bit more form fitting, and donned some of his more attractive jewelry, that couldn't be helped. He was going to the beach, which meant he didn't want to look like he was going to a gather...but he did want to wear something that might catch the eye anyway. He cleaned up his wounds as best he could, and while he tried to use a little kohl to hide his tender eye, he knew it wasn't going to be enough. Ah well. Cal seemed to like a more rugged man anyway, and this was nothing new.

Zayinth was anxious, and ready to take flight by the time her rider had gotten her into her straps, and the saddlebags of his things securely attached. The two had been on the move for so long they had fleeing down to an art. Not that he was running away from Bitra, oh no. There were too many rich men and women with marks to pick for him to ever stay away too long. But maybe, for now, he'd decide to head further West.

~ ~ ~ ~

When the pair appeared form Between, the green gave a happy and thrilled bugle to Alloth. It was nice to be somewhere so isolated from others. Surely, this beachside meeting would do her rider some good! There was no trouble to be found here, no fights to get into, no pockets to pick; just Alloth and hers, and the sea captain friend. Alloth! Thank you so much for inviting us. It is so good to see you again. The green didn't bother to make some lazy display of landing; no, she wasted no time in diving for the sandy shore. Her eyes whirled a bright blue, and she moved from foot to foot in her excitement to reach Alloth.

T'sal couldn't take her straps off fast enough.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:04 pm
Masterharper

Certainly! I'm sure the sea air will be a nice change then. she replied, sending Zayinth their location. She didn't like to think of her friend in such a place. Though she only had other's dragon's images to go on, it seemed like a dark and suffocating Hold to her. But then, she was born by the sea and had hardly left it. All Holds seemed dark and suffocating to her.

They're on their way. she informed the two of them, shifting slightly to be sure there was enough room for another dragon beside her.
Thank you, love. Neri said, leaning her hands back leisurely in the sand as she had before. Cal, on the other hand, seemed incurably distracted now, all remnants of the lazy summer atmosphere forgotten. He would sit up every now and then to check on the fish or unconsciously fuss with some aspect of his appearance, straightening a shirt or brushing sand out of his hair. Neri didn't miss the way he sat up at the mention of their arrival. Or how his eyes kept drifting to the sky. He'd had a few lovers before (though not many in recent turns, if she thought about it), but he really liked this one. This wasn't just fooling around for him, she realized, surprised herself by the revelation. He might not even know it himself yet, though it was written all over his face when he tried to hide the wide smile he wore when he saw them and put his face back to a cool and casual expression. He had it bad.

Well. She'd sat up a little at the thought, but now sank back onto her arms languidly. For some, realizing that their friend was utterly enamored might awaken a warm and fuzzy feeling in their heart. For Neri, it woke something more like a mother feline. Let the trials begin...

Watching her friend, she'd lost track of herself, only noticing that the pair had landed when Cal got up to greet them. Neri lifted a hand out from the sand and waved from where she was. "Hi T'sal." she said brightly, using her arm to block the sun from her eyes.

Cal meanwhile, had gotten up and wandered back over to the fire, as though he was checking on the fish again, despite both of them knowing they wouldn't be ready for another few minutes still. "Ah. Hi." he said, wandering towards the rider pair once they had landed. As soon as he got close enough to see T'sal's face he snorted. "What happened to you?" he asked, knowing he probably shouldn't laugh. If it was someone like Finbar or Neleus that came back looking like that, he'd be up in arms. But that was one of the things he liked about T'sal. He didn't need (or want) to know the exact details of his profession, but he knew he could take care of himself.

Well...

At the very least, he was responsible for his own actions. And he'd always respected that. He didn't feel the need to parent him the way he did for so many of their group. "I'd hate to see what the other person looks like." he joked. "Anyway, I hope you're hungry. We caught way too much. Though you can blame Alloth for that, she's far too good at it." he said, like he'd invited him here just to try and get rid of some excess food. Because there always had to be reason.. right? That was all part of the pretense.

While the riders talked, Alloth moved her long neck towards the other green. Though she worried about seeming to eager, she couldn't help but inch forward in the sand towards her, impatiently waiting for Zayinth's rider to remove her straps. It's so good to see you too! Oh, I've missed you. How was Bitra? Was it nice? Was it awful? she asked excitedly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:11 pm
DruidTigeress

With Zayinth free of her straps and their gear, it took T'sal no time at all to pile it together in a heap. He had no plans of returning to Bitra, and would go else where once they had to part ways. He'd figure out exactly where later... Right now, all he could think about was having another fine excuse to see Cal.

.... and Neri, too, yes, of course. The rider grinned cheerfully at the woman lounging in the sand, and offered a wave back. "Hello Neri! Zayinth was more than pleased to hear from your Alloth," he confided, as if it weren't blatantly obvious. The green, for her part, had been quick to bridge the distance between herself and the other. She had wanted nothing more than to have a friendly companion, and was glad that Alloth was there. In fact, she had settled down close to the other green -- perhaps too close, if Alloth wasn't partial to touch or affection -- but Zayinth was desperate for some dragon companionship. "Thanks for letting us barge in on your little beach party."

Pleasantries aside, he finally let himself look to Cal, who had approached. He tried not to look too eager, or to gaze, but his expression could not hide his excitement to see him again. His smile considerably brightened but in flash turned into its usual smug smirk. He'd almost forgotten about his eye until Cal mentioned it. "Ha. Just taught some Bitran swindler a lesson he won't quickly forget." If he puffed out a bit, it couldn't be helped. "I don't like playing cards with a cheater... or at least with one that lets himself get caught." Faranth knew Bitra's reputation for repugnant individuals... but it was also a Hold that didn't ask too many questions on where items might -- or might not -- have been procured, much less how.

It wasn't Pern's most beloved Hold, but T'sal knew it was an important trading Hold... .If not, perhaps, the most legal.

"And you wouldn't want to waste your time looking at that miserable slob," He assured the Captain, reaching over to slip an arm around him, to guide him back to the fire. "You can be sure he didn't walk away unscathed, thank you very much. He wasn't a looker while we were playing cards, and was even less of one by the time we broke apart." And yes, he sounded as confident an arrogant as ever; nevermind that he'd probably have heaps more trouble over this later.

He'd worry about that when faced with it.

With his arm draped about the other, T'sal was tempted to pull Cal into a proper hello, but... decided he'd wait on that. He didn't know Neri well, aside from what Zayinth told him from talking to Alloth, or seeing her in passing when he'd visit Cal on his ship. In fact, for as long as the pair of them had been together, the man didn't know too much about Cal's crew or friends... but that wasn't so unusual, was it? The two of them still had a lot of holes between them; Cal never asked much about what T'sal did, and T'sal didn't ask for details about Cal's life at sea and various ports. It was an unusual relationship, he supposed, but it worked well for them.

"Well, thank you then, Alloth -- your fishing prowess is going to well serve a hungry man." He gave a half bow to the green, his gratitude sincere. "I've been at Bitra most recently.... And while they claim they have fresh seafood... I can guarantee that stuff must be sent to them on ice, if it's real at all." He gave a snort. "Faranth knows most everything there's counter-fit anyway."

Zayinth, for her part, had taken to being as close to Alloth as allowed. The light green dragon's eyes whirled a happy blue-green, and she couldn't help but be glad to be in such a nicer place than Bitra. The sand felt nice on her toes, and Alloth was such a nice friend. Much nicer than the strange dragons that stared at her, or judged her for not being from a Weyr. Bitra was... not nice. It is not my favorite place to be, though my rider insists we must keep up a presence. The dragons are never happy, and the people seem so . . . fake. I do not like it, but for my rider, I go. She gave a little sigh, speaking privately to Alloth, thogh she knew her rider was so besotted with Cal that he probably wouldn't have heard her even if she chose not to be so quiet. But you invited us, which allowed us to be away. How have you been? Has the sea treated you well? Your beaches are much nicer than any place we get to go. You are so lucky to get to live on the water, and on a boat, and with such good friends all the time. Oh, the dragon didn't want to sound envious, but she was... perhaps just a little bit. T'sal and she were often alone, despite her rider meeting or entertaining others, or trading. T'sal often missed his friend, whether he admitted to it or not; and Zayinth struggled to make good friends during their gallivanting around Pern. Sure, their lifestyle was often profitable.... but lately Zayinth didn't want shiny trinkets. She wanted real friends.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

DruidTigeress

Sparkly Genius

25,225 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 pm
Masterharper

Cal grinned as the two dragon scooted closer together. Alloth too, for her part, was all too eager to be near the other, and leaned against her friend fondly. Oh, I've missed you!

When he looked back at T'sal, Cal caught a flash of excitement in the man's eyes and couldn't help but smile back in return. But as T'sal's expression shifted to its usual smirk, he too fell back into the disapproving frown (with just a hint of amusement) that was more familiar to him. "Mmm Hmm." he said, folding his arms as T'sal launched into his explanation. Why did he get the feeling that if he had such a rule, the two of them would never play cards? Still, he relented a little as T'sal moved closer, relaxing his arms as the man wound one around his waist. "Just be careful, okay?" Cal sighed, letting himself be led back to the fire. "I happen to like your face the way it is currently. I'd rather not have some thug from Bitra making any alterations." he joked.

He frowned. "Are you going back there any time soon?" he asked astutely. He might not know much about the ins and outs of whatever business T'sal was a part of, but he'd been through enough sketchy port towns to know when to get the heck out of dodge for a while. Not that he would meddle either way. T'sal's business was his own, and he wasn't going to try and change that. It wasn't his place to caution or stop him. He'd just feel a whole lot better if he knew he didn't have to worry about the man dodging angry card cheats on top of whatever else he got himself into.

Oh... No. Tell him it was nothing really. He's exaggerating. Neri and Caliban did most of the work. I mean I hardly helped at all. Alloth said to Zayinth at the rider's praise. Anyway, it is really quite easy. And fun. I can show you later if you like? There's some quite tasty fish in these areas, if you're interested!

"I can't imagine they have anything close to fresh in Bitra." Cal said, meanwhile. At least not his version of fresh, where it was caught and cooked within the space of a candlemark. "You should be in for quite a treat then. Neri's an excellent cook. Aren't you Neri?"
"If it counts as cooking to stick a spike through it and put it over the fire." she laughed, knowing Cal was teasing her anyway. She brushed off her hand against her skirt and extended it towards T'sal when he approached. "It's no trouble. Alloth's delighted to have her friend near, I'm sure. And it's nice to finally meet you properly.. Cal's told me so much about you." she lied, her eyes jumping to her friend pointedly, though her tone didn't change. In fact, he'd hardly breathed a word about his 'friend', and what little she did know mostly came from Alloth. While Cal was a naturally private person, not one to talk much about himself or about others, she still expected him to at least mention when there was someone significant in his life. And her look conveyed as much.

"Err.. I'm going to go check on those spider claw traps..." Cal muttered, picking up on enough of her undertones to get the sense that he was in trouble for something, though he couldn't rightly say what. He disentangled himself from T'sal's arm, though somewhat reluctantly.
"Mm. Good idea." Neri said, pleasantly, waiting for him to be gone before she turned her eyes on T'sal. A teasing grin played across her face as she raised an eyebrow at his black eye. "So... Get into fights a lot?" she asked as soon as Cal was out of earshot.

Oh.. I do wish you could stay for longer. Alloth confessed to Zayinth, though she knew she was being selfish. Zayinth and her rider were travelers. That had its own appeal. But Alloth greatly preferred the comfort of having all the same people she cared about around her as much as possible. When they weren't, she couldn't help but worry about them. I do not like the thought of you in such a place as that. Did you make any friends at least? Oh, but they did get to travel the world! See places even she and her rider, for all their sailing, never got to see. That had to be exciting. I'm glad you were able to come then, if you did not like it. I hope the next place you go will be more pleasant. I'm sure it will be. I'm sure it will be lovely and beautiful and full of warm sands and friendly dragons and you must tell me all about it when you get back! she said, doing her best to cheer her.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:02 am
DruidTigeress

Zayinth churred happily in delight. Honestly, the little green was pleased to be here. Alloth was always so pretty, and kind, and friendly, and made Zayinth feel far less lonely than when the green wasn't there. If she could do this everyday, she would have. I've missed you too. I wish we could see each other more than every now and then. Do you ever get lonely out on the sea? And she happily leaned back against the other, comforted and content.

T'sal, for his part, smirked smugly back at Cal. "Hey, its me we're talking about here. I'm always careful," he lied with a laugh. "Besides. I assure you, those thugs will think twice the next time they try to swindle a swindler." At least there he was honest. He knew how to cheat many a card player, though he wasn't as good as those in Bitra. "If I hadn't put so many marks down, I wouldn't have made a fuss. But they chose the wrong hand to pull that move, bunch of Bitran cheats, and were sloppy enough for me notice. On their heads be it, I say." He shrugged, not at all bothered or upset by the fact he might well have made enemies out of the wrong people.

When Cal asked if he was going to return, part of T'sal couldn't help but be pleased. Maybe he cared... or maybe he just didn't want their fun to end. Either way, he'd take it. "Mmm, probably not. I don't fancy seeing their lot again, so I'll keep low until it blows over." Not to mention, he'd pilfered some of the kitty in the midst of the fight, and walked off with a few other trinkets not entirely his. Fights were great distractions -- dangerous, sure, but rarely people realized their purses were missing until long after. It had been a golden opportunity. "I figure I'll head south or west for a while, see what good fortune brings me." He added cheerfully. "Besides, Zayinth wants a change of scenery."

Zayinth watched as her rider joined the little group. Honestly, she didn't see why any of this had to change. Weren't good friends and happy company what life was all about? He'll believe what he wants to believe, I'm afraid. I bet you helped more than you think you did! She assured the other with a happy croon. And I would like to be shown, if ... if it's not a bother, of course. I don't often get fish, and it would be nice to hunt in the water sometimes.

Caliban's words were true. T'sal didn't often get fresh seafood, despite often living a lavish lifestyle in some of the Holds of Pern. "Bitra might pay for find wine and over-priced herdbeast and mountain wherry, but their seafood tends to be lake fish, and not very good ones at that." No, he didn't go to Bitra for their cheap seafood.

T'sal happily reached out to give Neri's hand a firm shake. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm afraid I don't know much about you, or others in your group, as well as I'd like." He didn't need to mention that their time together was often limited -- and their, well, whatever this was, had begun purely physically. T'sal wasn't one to get attached, and Cal and he had had a no-questions-asked agreement. In fact, at the very beginning, Cal had simply been one of many men T'sal was juggling... but now, Turns later, that wasn't so true. "I'm happy to change that, though." He added.

When Cal left to check on the food, T'sal settled himself on the sand. Neri's question did have him arch a brow, but his smile was as easy and full of good humor. "Mmm. I think that depends on your definition of a lot. Let's just say I'm not really worried about any scrape I find myself in. What about you?" It was the truth. His line of business had always put him in situations that weren't always ideal. Even growing up, as a trader, he'd found that fights and brawls just happened. Sometimes, the only way to resolve an issue was with a fist... or a blade.

But that was neither here nor there.

Zayinth wasn't entirely keen on her rider's choice of conversation. What if she wasn't allowed to see Alloth anymore because of it? Still, she knew her rider had his own sort of charm. Maybe... Maybe it would be okay. So, the green looked back at Alloth and gave a little wistful sigh. I wish I could stay for longer, too. Sadly, I did not make any friends this time. The watchdragon did not like that I was not from Benden Weyr, and seemed to like me even less when he found out I had no Weyr at all. And the couple of other dragons there did not seem to want to be friends. She dug into the sand, a little nervously, with her claws. Her eyes did take on a slightly yellow hue. I hope you're right. I don't know where we'll be going next. Maybe... Maybe somewhere nice, with friendly dragons. You're my only real friend, Alloth, and it gets lonely out there. She finally confessed.

Masterharper
Vice Captain

[IC RP] Holds & Halls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces