[PRP] Of Moonlight and Muses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:26 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

For the first time since he had joined the pride - no, for the first time since the muses had turned their back upon him - Rive felt as if he had his sights set on something that might provide him the closure he so desperately sought. The talk with Iki'renkli had opened up his thoughts to the possibility of what The Great Lion was, though she could not possibly have known such at the time. Though a great huntress and a kind soul, he suspected she did not have the foresight to really and truly see the machinations of their pride's muse. That was what The Great Lion had to be, he had no doubts, and he still seemed to be lingering close to them. It meant that the muses had not abandoned the whole world, they still remained in contact with those that were worthy. His one and only clue to finding this one or finding more about him seemed to be Iki'renkli's sister - a lioness she claimed was crazy but one Rive himself thought was much more than that.

A visionary.

Nyeusi.

With more hope than he had felt in a long time, Rive set out the day after his talk with Iki'renkli, adamant that he would find Nyeusi among the pride's members. It was hard, being that he was so new, but the others that he encountered seemed kind enough (if a little bit confused about what he wanted with the lioness in the first place). Her reputation preceded her, it seemed, even if most took her closeness to their muse for granted.

"Nyeusi?" he called, at last, as he neared the area of her den. No one could be certain that she would be there but she did have cubs in tow, so it seemed likely given the time of night. "Are you here?"  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:34 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Nyeusi was sleeping, as befit a mother who was finally able to send her adolescent children off to train under other lions without her oversight. She loved her children, as the Great Lion clearly intended her to, but they were exhausting much of the time. At least they were no longer cubs and slept through the night, but still. It was pleasant to be able to take a nice, long, refreshing nap in the middle of the day.

Lavender-blue ears twitched as she heard her name called and blue eyes opened blearily. Her name, called so softly, so gently...could it be?

Then she realized some pridemember was merely trying to get her attention. With a sigh for what might have been, the lioenss pushed herself to her feet and went to the den entrance.

She had no idea who this lion was. He wasn't born to the pride, of that she was certain with those colors and markings. Which meant she had no idea why he would be here, seeking her out.

"I am Nyeusi, by grace of the Great Lion. And you...?" she asked, eyes narrowed in a warning. The Huntress was not always at her best when awakened out of a sound sleep.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 am
The signs of her irritation were hard to miss - he had not become a regent by being blind, deaf and dumb after all. Still, he was here and he had found her, which brought a weak smile to his pale mug despite how grouchy she was at his doing so.

"I'm sorry to have woken you," he dipped his head as he spoke, respectful and genuinely pleased to be in her presence, "my name is Rive."

With the introduction posed, he took a few more steps forward, slow and hesitant as he suddenly realized he did not know how best to broach this subject. Had she been of his own kin, he would have simply been blunt and forward. Here they did not regard The Great Lion in the same fashion and the last thing he wanted to do was offend her. Belatedly, he realized he probably should have figured this out before he showed up.

"I met your sister yesterday, she is my hunt leader, and somewhat of what she said about you.. well, mostly I just wanted to speak to you." His tail flicked behind him in a nervous habit but his eyes were steady and his demeanor calm. "If that is alright, anyway."  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 am
Well, at least he was polite enough about waking her up. Thank the Great Lion for small blessings. She had to raise her eyebrows however as Rive explained he'd been speaking with her Hunt Leader of a sister and that had somehow led him here.

"What on earth could prompt you to do that?" Nyeusi asked outright. "Iki'renkli loves to complain about me, although a lioness in her position should know better. So did you come to mock and laugh at the "crazy lioness" in person?" There was real heat in the black female's words as she thought back to that confrontation she'd forced upon Iki'renkli so many moons ago. She did not at all like being made fun of, even though she refused to deny the Great Lion His demands upon her.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 am
The smile on Rive's face faltered as she began to accuse him, though he was not so crass at to interrupt her little rant. As soon as her words died in the air between them he shook his head, making the great blue mane sway gently about his shoulders.

"No, no, no, that's not it at all," the words were a rush out of fear that she might turn him away and refuse to speak. He could not afford that - he desperately wanted to know answers to all the questions burning on the tip of his tongue but he could not blame her for the confusion. The other lions in the pride had thought it so peculiar that he sought her out in the first place and it made his heart hang heavy as he realized that she was treated with disdain for a thing that his pride would have valued above all else.

Not for the first time, he wished others had the foresight of his pride.

"I came to talk to you about The Great Lion. It is very hard for me to explain it to anyone here without it seeming blasphemous but I know that you speak the truth. I know how it is to live a life guided by something greater and I just.." For the first time, he felt himself growing frustrated over explaining himself. How did he dance around the concept of a muse without seeming like a heathen? "I just wanted to know how he speaks to you?"  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:10 am
Nyeusi let the lion have his say, but her disbelief and distrust was clear on her face throughout his whole speech. Frankly, no one had ever once approached the lioness and asked her to teach them. Oh sure, some of them had asked...but only after she'd told them they should. No one, not even the Priests had ever come to her first.

Which meant that she didn't see how she could possibly believe Rive was approaching her out of sincere curiosity. "Insane" did not at all mean "stupid" and a number of lions in the pride had learned that to their sorrow.

"You don't want to be blasphemous, you say," Nyeusi replied slowly. "And yet you come here, and you ask me. It is blasphemous that you think you can trap me like this, so that you and your friends might laugh later." The lioness straightened her posture and started to stalk forward, past Rive.

"I will not stand and be insulted."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 am
"Wait," he chimed quickly, panicked as he failed to convince her. She was the only clue he had to a lioness that still spoke with what he held so dearly and here she was, distrusting of his words because of how his pride viewed her. Unsure of what he could say, he stepped into her path and drew himself up tall with the hope that she would not strike him down for it.

"I am not mocking you, Nyeusi. I don't have friends here, I don't know anyone other than who I was introduced to after I awoke. I don't know how else to convince you.."

He shook his head again and let his breath trail off in a sigh. What would make her believe him? Could she not see he was telling her the truth?

"I was a king once and those I led spoke with something greater than themselves, we valued it and counted ourselves graced, but the voice has.. abandoned us. That is my secret. I am here, humbled, seeking what I have lost."

Would it be enough?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 am
Nyeusi couldn't help listening as she stalked off. She didn't understand why Rive was so desperate to convince her that he truly wanted to hear her in a way that no other pridemember ever had. And now he told her he had been a king? It certainly wasn't an impossibility, but he could be just as delusional as the pride thought her to be. Some people just needed a few lions to follow their commands and they saw themselves as divinely appointed rulers.

There was an old lion somewhere around here named Kobe'gumu who had once been the King of an enemy pride, one that the Mwezi'Johari had warred with. Not that most people remembered that today. And there was Unyezi, who had once been King in this pride. If Rive had meant his former rank to impress Nyeusi, it was a complete failure.

"You think I should be impressed by a former Priest-King?" she asked aloud, deigning to stop and turn, that her dismissive words might be more easily heard. "You're far from the first former ruler to live in this place, and at this rate, you won't be the last either. And I don't care how you dress up whatever you used to justify the orders you gave your subjects, those decrees came from your mouth alone. Comparing your personal desires to the Great Lion's care for His People is utter blasphemy."

With a "hmph," Nyeusi turned and continued stalking away, tail lashing angrily with every step.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:27 am
There was nothing to be said.

Rive's eyes widened and his mouth went slack-jawed as she not only pushed past him without a second glance but, too, spared the time to berate him and take every word he spoke out of context. The flame of hope that she would be the answer to his hunt guttered in the pit of his chest and all he could do was stare after her in silence as she stalked away to do who-only-knew what.

He couldn't even convince himself to move away from where he stood as she left him behind in her dust. Instead he sat right where he had been and let his eyes drift up to the sky as if this Great Lion might afford him an answer to how he might win her favor long enough to convince her that he was not trying to impress her or mock her.

Unsurprisingly, there was only silence.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:29 am
It was definitely time to go see if she could find something small and hot-blooded to take her anger out on. Nyeusi hadn't survived Shangyue and all his assassination attemps, as well as the ridicule of the pride just to have this...this stranger try to make fun of her again!

Ugh. Stupid self-important former Kings.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces