[PRP] Carving Problems

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:19 am
User Image

There were days where he preferred to sleep - alright, there were weeks where he preferred to sleep - but then there were days where the bright colored lion really just wanted to finish his project. The current project consisted of a soft, pliant chunk of wood that he'd found, and, deciding that he wanted to try carving into it, the adolescent had held onto it until he'd found a good amount of free time to work on it.

Carving was something he had recently found enjoyment in. He could weave intricate designs, not unlike the elaborate tattoos his pride was known for, and it would be recorded for eternity.

Of course, Chapa hadn't counted on the malleable structure... actually being more difficult to carve into. He huffed in frustration as more than what he wanted got torn off, despite his efforts otherwise. This wasn't working. At this rate, he would end up with nothing more than tiny bits of wood. He needed a new strategy.

Safaia
Decided to let you decide who you felt like throwing at him. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Skan could feel the creaking in his bones as he walked. Was it the potential turn of the weather, or his age? He wasn't ancient, not like some of the other Ela'wadiyi members, but the stress that rested on his shoulders due to his position as the wanidatsi was....taxing. There were times he finally considered on taking an apprentice...and then the Wolf clan would rear its head with another disaster, and he felt like no one would even want this position.

So today he would relax. Go find his mate, get some food, and just do nothing for a few hours. There was certainly no way anything disastrous could happen in just that short amount of time.

While contemplating just what sort of meat he would have for lunch...his eyes noticed a younger male, with a freshly growing mane doing...something. Offspring of one of the newer families in the bird clan, but still gaining his own impressive amount of tattoos as he grew.

"Problem?" Skan asked, trying to not let himself sound annoyed. He really wasn't, more so curious. And looking at this younger male in front of him, he realized just how little socializing he had done himself in the last several years. "Ah, I mean, is there something I can help you with?" he added on,
genuinely interested in what he was doing.

MangoMeow
I am sooo rusty i'm sorry. u__u <3

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:43 pm
Orange ears flicked towards the voice that spoke, but Chapa kept his attention completely on the stretch of wood. He was glaring holes onto it's surface, and barely even registered what the other lion was saying to him. With a grumble, the young male dropped the object to the ground.

"Not unless you can magically make this work right." Chapa tapped a claw against the ground, "It keeps coming apart whenever I try to sink my claws into it, stupid stick!" Then he huffed and batted it away grumpily, turning away to sulk.

It was at this point that he glanced over and realized who he was talking to.... and who had just seen him become petulant over a stick. He froze, eyes wide and tail puffing out next to him. He'd never actually spoken to the old lion before, but he'd certainly heard of him, and he was pretty sure he shouldn't have spoken so snappily to the wanidatsi.

"Er.... I mean...." Chapa struggled to recover, "It's just... a little too soft to carve into." He looked away, embarrassed.

Safaia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:26 pm
Skan's emerald eyes watched the stick roll off in the short grass, the small sound fading as the silence grew for a moment. The wanidatsi wasn't too surprised at his reaction, and didn't blame him for any of it.

"Magic would make things too easy," Skan replied solemnly. "Its through the challenges we face that we learn how to navigate life. Though I must admit, there are times I could just magic away my own troubles." He added on, chuckling. This reminded him of helping his own children navigate their futures, adding to the burden of always being connected to the wanidatsi, and the pressures of being in his shadow at all times.

"Sometimes what seems too soft is perhaps the right density," Skan said, walking towards where the stick had rolled too, and nudged it back towards the adolescent. "At least, don't be too hard on yourself."

"I'm sure you know who I am; comes with the territory." He shrugged. "But please, just call me Skan."

MangoMeow

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:53 pm
Chapa watched as the older lion nudged it back over to him, caught between his embarrassment and intrigue at what Skan was saying. He supposed that the old lion probably had far bigger problems than some scrappy young kid did, but the comparison was appreciated. At the very least, it calmed some of his nerves.

"U-Um," the young lion took a deep breath to bring himself out of his stupor, "Alright... Skan." Then, realizing he should probably introduce himself as well, he continued, "I'm Chapa. Chapa Chochokpi."

Glancing down at the stick, he nodded slowly, "I guess... I just need to keep trying." He sighed, "But what if I end up destroying it before I can actually do anything with it?" He wanted to turn it into something beautiful, but he worried that at this rate, it wouldn't be anything but a tiny sliver.

Safaia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm
"Aaah, part of the newer family. It is a pleasure to formally meet you. I try to get to know everyone within my own clan, but work pulls me away from the bird clan at times." Thankfully it seemed like no clan was in crisis, so he could enjoy being home, and not being constantly work-focused.

"I doubt you'll destroy it," Skan nodded. "It may turn out smaller than you intended, but I'm sure it will be beautiful. We don't have too many crafters in the Bird clan. I'll have to see if I can introduce you to some in Wolf once we cross paths with them during migration." Skan was not too keen on being friendly with Wolf, but that was driven by selfish reasons. There was no logical reason why he shouldn't help influence and grow Chapa's interest in carving because the Waya family in Wolf were idiots.

"But between now and then, it would make a good looking necklace for someone, once you're done with it."

MangoMeow

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm
Chapa blinked as Skan spoke, his curiosity rearing it's head. A crafter? He hadn't known that was an option, to be honest. Maybe it was an unofficial option, but he would love the opportunity nonetheless. He perked up even more at the prospect of meeting someone who he could talk to about it.

With a wag of his tail, the orange lion grinned happily, "Oh, I'd love to meet them!" Plus he would get to see what the other clans were like. He and his siblings were sheltered enough that they hadn't been told much about them, bar meeting some at the Sky Ceremony. Which... Chapa missed, unfortunately. So he could do with expanding his horizon a little bit.

Turning back to the wood, he stared hard in deliberation. "You think?" He's never thought to make a necklace out of one of them before, but... yeah, that would be neat! "I don't know how to make necklaces though."

Safaia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Skan couldn't believe that he was promising to deal with the Wolf Clan, but it was for the good of encouraging a talent in this young Bird Clan member, and he wanted to make sure that Chapa was happy and improving at his craft.

"I think its another moon or two before we cross paths with them again, but I'll be sure to personally introduce you to some of their crafters. They are good at sharing," he said, grimacing internally. (Long story!) "We usually spend about a week with a clan before the migration separates us again, so that should give you enough time to pick up a few new ideas."

"And to start, we can just get our paws on a little thing scrap of leather and twist it around the top...that may be enough so it cannot get lost?" Skan wasn't much of a crafter, so he was hoping that he wasn't sounding too....old and dated about his necklace ideas to the younger Chapa.

MangoMeow

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:49 am
Chapa's eyes practically sparkled at the thought of meeting people who could help him perfect his craft, and he didn't notice Skan's grimace while he spoke of Wolf Clan. "That would be great, thank you!" He would love to learn more about carving. Aside from sleeping, carving was one of his only other favorite pass times.

As their conversation turned back to the wood though, he adopted another thoughtful expression. He had never worked with leather before. He knew, logically, what it was and where it came from, but didn't know how it was made. They would probably need to ask someone who had some.... which probably wasn't a problem for Skan, now that Chapa really thought about it.

Humming in response, the young adolescent nodded back, "Okay. I don't know where to find any though." He looked back at the older lion, "Do you know where some might be?"

Safaia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Skan's tail twitched as he realized just how much this was meaning to the young adolescent. This was certainly why he tried to be a good wanidatsi, and even if he wasn't keen on the Wolf Clan (and may never fully forgive them, for his own personal reasons), he was keen on nurturing the future generations. As for Chapa's question, at least this was something he could help with now.

"Certainly. While the Wolf Clan is where most of our trinkets are made for the entire pride, we certainly have a few on hand to help mend items when they break or tear. Let us go find the alu'nadi, Dohi....I'm sure she's got some spare leather packed away somewhere." Plus, Skan would be able to remind his daughter right then and there that they needed to get him to meet some of the more skilled wolf crafters to learn the trade. The wanidatsi would be pretty beside himself if he managed to forget between now and then.

"Would you like to come with me while we locate her?" he asked, curious to see if he would continue to hold the adolescent's attention....at least until he got his paws on the leather strips for more crafting.

MangoMeow

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

MangoMeow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:03 pm
Chapa gave an enthusiastic nod, feeling more excited for this opportunity than he had in a while, if ever. He was normally the more laid-back of his siblings, preferring to sleep over anything really active, but he didn't want to pass up learning how to improve on his craft.

"That is," he paused to look down bashfully, "if you don't mind helping me some more. I hope I'm not taking up a lot of your time." Truly, he really hoped he wasn't. He had barely met him, and already Chapa was looking up to him. He could see why he was the wanidatsi.

But he also wanted to see what they could do with this piece of wood. What had started out as a frustration to him had turned into a new project. A goal that he wanted to see through.

Safaia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 pm
Skan's own attitude had shifted away from the normally grumpy-and-gruff older male, to one that seemed more actively invested in his own clan. As a wanidatsi, he technically didn't belong to any one clan, but the bird clan would always be his home. He wanted to see it thrive.

"My time is for everyone," Skan replied with a slow nod of his head. "And I am happy to share it. Come, I'm sure we will find her soon." As long as she wasn't in the middle of a tattoo-ing session, she would be free and able to help them both.

(fin)

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

[IC] Ela'wadiyi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out