[FIN] Sleep is Good (Rive & Nyeusi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It wasn't easy to think back to when she was a cub herself, but Nyeusi imagined that her parents had been less sleep-deprived than she herself was when her children were that young. After all, there were two of them to her one, and three children to her four.

Things had improved though, with age. Nyeusi knew it had to be so, but still, it had seemed to take forever at some points and no time at all at others. However as her children grew older and came ever closer to adulthood, things became easier. She could reason with the kids logically instead of trying to combat chaos with chaos.

Among other things, this meant the black lioness was finally getting enough sleep again.

She laughed quietly to herself at the thought. These were a god's children, and she thought raising them would be easy? Nyeusi wasn't about to claim she'd had the toughest time, even for being a single mother, but she had to chuckle at her own naiveté. Nothing was ever easy, especially those tasks set you by the Great Lion.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Life was slowly starting to feel normal for the ex-story keeper and he had, at last, grown accustomed once more to what it felt like to belong somewhere. He had a pride to return to every night and lions that he were both familiar and happy to see him. It was enough to convince him that this was the right decision, no matter the things and lions he had lost along the way, but it wasn't quite all that he was hoping for.

He still hoped that he would sway Nyeusi.

The conversation with her young daughter and sister had done enough to convince him that he should stay away from her den on the off chance that she was sleeping. However, that was also the only place he knew to find her without a doubt. It meant he often went days without seeing her and until now he had been given no chance to make more of the few times he caught a glimpse of her in the distance. Either she was too far away or he was on his way to his duties - it was always something that prevented him from stopping to try and get one more chance at earning her good graces.

Until tonight.

The pale lion was on his way back from the watering hole with no true intentions on his mind. For once, he seemed to have naught to do but relax and it was visible in the gait of his step and set of his shoulders. When she came in to view, he didn't even see her at first, dark as she was against the night sky. Yet the closer he got to her the more visible her pale legs were against the cold earth beneath their paws.

He paused a few paces away, suddenly hesitant, before he finally called out to her:

"Nyeusi? Are you busy tonight?"  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm
A half-remembered voice called out, disrupting the lioness' musings. Turning just enough to lay an eye on the speaker. She saw the brightness of white fur against the darkness, with darker markings taking form as he came closer. It was...sigh...Rive. Well, at least she wasn't sleeping this time. Yet.

"And why would I be busy at night?" Nyeusi replied scathingly. "It's not like this pride is still ruled by a sacriligious murderer who wishes to impress us with his piety by forcing us all to be nocturnal."

Some would say it was a good thing Nyeusi had mostly recovered. Others, who actually remembered what she'd been like before, might have disagreed.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm
Well, she was a little more pleasant. Kind of. Rive's brow still furrowed a little at the outburst but he did his best not to let it show too obviously on his face. The last thing he wanted to do was offend her by being offput by her words - unless that was what she wanted? Did she want him to seem chastised? His head hurt even thinking about it and instead he simply opted to dismiss the tyrant rant. For now.

Maybe, if she didn't scold him for being pompous again, he could ask her about it later.

"I was just trying to be polite," he offered, "since last time you were busy. I'm sorry by the way, I didn't.. realize. I've been told no less than two times how foolish that was. I just got a little carried away with an idea, I guess."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm
Hmmm. He seemed honestly sorry, which was something. But his apology was for waking her out of a sound sleep.

"'Carried away' was it?" Nyeusi's tone came just shy of sneering. "You mean you wanted to impress me with how you think it's 'nice' that people think I'm crazy? That you feel pity for me? I thought I told you what to do with your excessive exuberance."

The lioness glared through the darkness at her unwelcome suplicant as if she could somehow will him away.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm
"I wasn't trying to impress you at all," he admitted immediately, though something about his expression seemed to think even that was a bit blunt. He hadn't been trying to insult her either. Would she think that was what he meant now? He felt his stomach churn a little over his over active thoughts, second guessing the words even as they hung in the air.

"What I meant to say was that I just wanted to talk to you. I don't think you're crazy and I don't.. pity you. I have been told I was crazy more times than I can even keep track of and that's.." he frowned, and shook his head on a sigh, annoyed with himself and obvious about it. He didn't want to pander to her or make her feel as if he were begging, damn it all. "I'm not trying to make this about me."

He hesitated, then took a half step forward,

"I just kind of wanted to be friends Nyeusi? You remind me a lot of lions I used to know."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm
Nyeusi raised an eyebrow as she considered Rive and his words. The effect was somewhat spoiled by the darkness of the night and her own fur, so it was questionable how much he'd be able to see. The white and blue lion sounded incredibly earnest...much like her children when they tried to justify some trouble they'd gotten into.

Although, she did have to admit that no one had ever called her kids crazy. Nyeusi, yes, cubs, no.

Finally, she gave an exasperated sigh, as easily audible as the movements of her eyebrows were invisible in the night. "What I fail to understand is why you are so obsessed with me. What will it take to make you leave me alone?"  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Well, that was something he supposed. He wasn't sure what he had been hoping for out of the stubborn lioness - a revelation that he was really the only one that would understand her? No, he didn't think she actually felt troubled over the way her pride viewed her at all and that meant he wasn't going to be anything she cared to befriend. She didn't need someone to understand her, she was confident enough in herself without him.

Inwardly, he sighed. This same, stubborn surety was not lost on him either and it let him know, immediately, that this was not the meeting he had wanted. He might as well have asked Sada to read him the stars.

"No, it's alright, Nyeusi. I don't want to be a burden to you if that's really all you think of me." His brows furrowed as he faced his mistakes and felt forced to eat them. He'd spent much too long chasing down the ways he could appease her to keep struggling. "I guess it's really not that important anyway. You can just - "

Rive's furrowed brows arched and his head whipped around at the sound of a loud, sudden crack that broke through the sky. The world about them lit up as lightning sparked overhead, crawling across the starry blanket in a split second bright enough to leave an imprint behind in his vision.

Too stunned to speak, he stood there, slack jawed and confused. Where had that come from?  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:31 pm
Ugh, he even looked like a cub when he decided to give up and let her have her way, slumping posture and sudden expression of defeat as he began his concession speech. The lioness was thinking of cutting him short, of cutting off this entire failure of a relationship, when a loud noise shattered the quiet night, lighting up the area. Rive's expression looked as stunned as her own must.

It was obviously a sign from the Great Lion, a mighty Parent clacking His teeth at foolish cubs making life far more difficult than He had meant it to be.

Nyeusi waited a few moments longer in the renewed shocked silence, in case there was any more to the message. But no. He'd gotten their attention, and now was gone again, leaving the mortals to muddle through once more.

"I think," the lioness offered carefully and slowly, "that I may owe you an apology."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 pm
The pale lion's eyes swiveled back to Nyeusi as she spoke and for a long moment, he said nothing, trying instead to digest what she meant by an apology - had that lightning strike meant something to her? He stood like that, the cogwheels of his mind visibly turning in his eyes, until at last they widened as her interpretation hit him. The Great Lion. The Pride's equivalent to what he knew as a muse.

"Was that -?" he started, looking between her and the sky again, trying to re-imagine the way the lightning had branched across the inky canvas. "Did you just-"

It was hard. Words were hard. There was a mix of thrill and curiosity bubbling up inside of him in a way that he wasn't sure would go over well with the too serious lioness. He was excited and fearful of his own excitement all at once; he didn't want to hope too harshly only to have it dashed again. This was what he had wanted, wasn't it?

At last, he gathered himself enough to find his ability to speak, trying his best to present himself with a level head.

"Was that the Great Lion?"  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 am
Nyeusi swallowed her initial reaction to Rive's question. She would have snapped at him again, and while he was being incredibly dense, the lioness had already gotten the Great Lion's message tonight and didn't want Him to be more...direct. The black lioness breathed deeply, trying to keep her calm and not lose her temper at Rive again.

"Yes. It seems He is upset with how our conversation was going." The lioness paused, trying to organize her thoughts. "As I said, I am sorry."

She wasn't certain what the Great Lion's intention was here, but who was Nyeusi to argue with a god? Clearly there was some plan in mind that involved the two of them being on better terms, and it wasn't her place to thwart it.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 am
Apologies didn't seem to be what Rive was looking for but despite his bubbling excitement, he forced himself very carefully to sit where he had been standing and draw his enthusiasm back into himself. Looking at her and the tense way she was holding herself, he suspected that she was taking this as a direct order and was not actually being kind to him just because she had a change of heart.

It was hint enough. He needed to try not to annoy her too, right? A conversation was created on behalf of two participants.

"No, don't apologize," he began, shaking his head so that the blue mane tossed around his shoulders, "I'm sorry for coming on too strongly. I know that you thought I was mocking you or.. maybe that I'm pompous. The truth is that I have just been looking for someone like you for a very, very long time."

He was trying his best to be heartfelt while containing his overwhelming need to spew a hundred questions at her. It had been so long since a Muse spoke to him in any form and if The Great Lion was the last one left or the only one willing to forgive him then damn it all, he would serve him as surely as he had served the Sea.

"Which sounds weird, I know, but I just want to learn about Him and you are without a question His most loyal servant. I don't think it's a laughing matter at all, I think it's really admirable but that also sounds like I'm just sucking up-"

He stopped himself mid ramble and sighed, looking at once perplexed and exhausted of talking in circles. His tail flicked as it curled around his paws, a tell-tale sign of his discomfort if the look on his face was not enough of a dead ringer.

"Can we just start over again from the beginning? I would like to try and be friends."  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 am
Nyeusi's lips twisted through a couple of expressions as she fought her own disdain for how Rive had acted. Admittedly, she hadn't been any better, considering that she'd refused to give him a chance after some relatively petty interactions. Sure, the black lioness had her excuse of having originally been woken out of a sound sleep, but that had worn thin days ago and really wasn't worth holding a grudge over.

"I suppose we must begin again," the lioness agreed aloud. "I am Nyeusi, and welcome to the Mwezi'Johari, favored pride of the Great Lion."

Perhaps...perhaps something different would come of their interaction now. Only time would tell.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 am
"It is a pleasure to meet you Nyeusi," his head bowed, respectful, "I am Rive, a simple hunter, and I am glad to have found this place."

Although she certainly didn't seem pleased to begin again, she did commit to it without a second thought now that something greater had overshadowed their petty beginnings. He should have felt insulted that it took such a thing but he didn't - the Great Lion had intervened for him.

That small ounce of favor was enough. For now.  

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces