Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:01 am
Hattaki

Roana pushed herself up as high as she was able on the blue's back as they circled lower over the hold. Luckily she had a good head on the smaller rider she was clinging to so it was not much of a stretch.

Roana loved flying, since she knew the great blue would never be reckless and always see her safely to he destination she wasn't afraid of the great heights. She could enjoy the rush of the wind, the spectacular views and amazement of near instantaneous travel all the while feeling the warm press of Nicara's back against her chest.

"Oh, Diesteth over there!" She shouted to the blue over the rush of wind. She was also pointing and gesturing manically to the port and a shabby looking Getty with only one large spooner surrounded by a multitude of dingies and row boats. It was tucked away from the more impressive merchant Quarter but the sight of it made the red head fuzz with excitement. Luckily the dock seemed to have just enough room for a medium sized dragon to land.
"Thankyou for doing this Nicara, I can't wait to introduce you to all the guys. They are going to love you!"

When Nicara had asked how she could cheer her up after the hatching Roana had not even had to think about it. She was slowly growing to love the weyr for all its eccentricities but the long days and lessons did grate after a while and the hold was still her home. Where she had been raised. She wanted to return.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 am
Large blue wings flapped deeply, overlapping colors making them appear to ripple with movement even when he held them wide to glide in circles, and that was exactly what he was doing as he brought the trio of them in over the hold. It was certainly a good evening for flying even if he was a morning dragon and it made him happy to hear the excitement in Roana's voice as they got closer and closer to this hold she apparently knew. Either she'd grown up here or spent a lot of time here, but it made Diesteth happy to know that she was feeling a bit better after that hatching when she'd been left standing again. At least it had been much less violent this time around, that had been what had mattered to the large blue and his rider who was currently guiding him in the direction the redhead had pointed out.

"You don't have to thank us! It was the first thing we could do for you in a long time!" Nicara shouted back over the rushing wind, making sure to tilt her head backwards so the words didn't simply disappear into the night. Honestly she was surprised that Roana thought she would get along so well with these friends of hers but she wasn't going to ruin it by letting her know that especially when she was so happy to see her excited. It was good to get out and meet new people after all, that was what her large blue had been telling her for turns and turns.

I told you that last night, and the night before that, and if I recall correctly, the night before that as well. Also every flight I've ever participated in we've had a conversation about you opening up. Diesteth's voice reverberated in her head and she was thankful that it was obvious the words were only for her because her cheeks turned a blood red color. Besides, I have a feeling that it might be important for you to get over that this evening if you want there to be three of us returning tonight.

Her heart lurched a little bit but she had no time to respond as the large blue angled his wings and dropped his lower legs a bit for a landing that was always smooth even when he felt he had no room, such as now. Furling his wings up a bit after taking the worst of the speed down to a minimum, Diesteth let his back legs touch down slowly and landed just softly enough that he only had to hop once on the wooden dock to avoid splinters in his feet and claws. Had he been carrying just Nicara he would have done something a bit different, but he wasn't going to risk Roana having a rough ride just for the sake of acrobatics and not drawing as much attention. There would be time for that later.

Time to disembark and see what the dock has to offer you both, the big blue offered, lowering himself just enough that Roana could leap down from his neck.

Sinders Path

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 am
Hattaki

Roana watched the dock come closer almost trembling with excitement. As soon as the blue touched down she jumped and hit the wet wooden boards with a grunt. Straightening herself back up she offered a hand to Nicara to help her down. Not because she needed it but Ro enjoyed the contact.Her acceptance would result in Ro taking her weight and offering a brief hug at the same time. She was still brimming with excitement.

She let the blue rider down just in time for a gold flash to appear above her head. Nyeh gave a small trumpet of welcome and landed on Ro's head, burying herself into the mass of curls as usual.
The flitt had no hope of keeping up the dragon in flight and clinging to Ro while airborne made the proud little creature quite self conscious. Never the less she joined Ro the first chance she got.

"Oh hey Nyeh." Ro greeted the flitt with affection before digging a strip of dried herd beast from her pocket and offering it up to the gold to chew on. It would keep her busy. The scene was interrupted by an angry shout.

"Hey! Wherry s**t! You can't just park this mutant tunnel snake here! Ya gunna cause damage!" The voice was deep and booming, clearly belonging to a rather large man.
And it was true that Diesteth's landing had caused waves of wind over the harbor making the moored boats jostle and bump against the soaked dock planks. However no damage had really been done.

Ro instantly bristled to the Blue's defense. "Keep your shirt on, there's no damage. But you talk to him like that again I'll take an axe to them!" The man's voice stopped at that point...hesitated then came back wavering. "Roana, is that you?"

Ro blinked and walked forward as the mystery man managaed too get around the blue's bulk (Threat or not he had been keeping his distance from a full grown dragon). The owner of the voice was just what you would expect. He wore tough leather pants, a shirt torn off at the sleeves with a weather proof vest over it. His face was weather worn and pock marked but mostly covered by a thick dark brown beard. His eyebrows would have made a decent garden hedge if they were ever trimmed and he stood several heads higher than both women. "Tug!"

'Tug's angry frown broke into a radiant broken toothed smile and Roana threw herself at him with a yelp of delight. He caught her in his arms big enough to strangle a dragon and hugged her tight. "Well I'll be thread scored. It's the little Roboat." He chortled scratching the redhead with his bead. "I heard from ya ole uncle ya had gone aff to join a weyr, Didn't think you'd get one so fast. It's big too." He added admiringly, eyeing the blue with a new light. Though still an edge of distrust.

Roana laughed and hit his chest. "Don't call me that! And of course Diesteth here isn't mine. I've only been at the weyr a few months and even if I had impressed on my first hatching dragons don't grow that fast ya dim glow.They just gave me a ride"

"Well how am I meant to know that?" Tug protested. "I ain't a fancy pants weyr folk like you." Roana rolled her eyes and hit him again. "You don't need to be, you'd just hve to use that pea brain rattling around that big old head....Oh Nicara!" she has almost forgotten the women. "This here is Tug he was one of my uncles sailors in the old days, he practically helped raise me. Tug this is Nicara of Blue Diesteth."

Tug pulled away from Roana, folded his arms across his chest and gave Nicara a slow look up and down. At last he snorted and nodded. A crude approval. "So ya he one that stole away our little Ro boat."  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 am
Before she could so much as leap down herself she was pulled into a brief hug from Roana that had her heart hammering roughly against her ribcage and had very little to do with the landing that her dragon had managed or the flight over. Nicara could at least manage to admit to herself that there was something there, but the pop of a little gold fire lizard drew her attention upward and she pulled back with a soft chuckle, blue eyes crinkling a little bit in amusement as she took a step back to lean against Diesteth's muscled shoulder and let the girl have a moment with her little bonded creature.

"Seems like she caught up just fine." Nicara managed to get out before she heard words shouted at her. Instantly her eyes narrowed dangerously and her body tightened up against the threats hurled at both herself and her dragon. Diesteth offered a disgusted snort for the crass words thrown out towards his rider but held in the growl that had been growing in his deep blue chest when his rider shot a dark command in his direction.

Mutant tunnel snake though? That's really the best insult he can manage? Maybe I should go...

Nicara placed a hand on the blue dragon's shoulder gently. There were places all over where dragons weren't easily accepted, while this was the first time that someone in a hold had been brave enough to throw out insults so easily it wasn't overly surprising. What was surprising was Roana's reaction and the hug that happened only moments after. Both of her eyebrows shot up past the fringe of her dark bangs and Nicara crossed her arms over her chest to watch the interaction carefully, the entire thing was off to a good start for her friend and a rather rocky one for both herself and her dragon. She was certain that the girl wasn't in any danger but unsure of herself and her dragon as far as what this man and his possible friends might attempt to do just for the dragon landing on the dock.

Leveling her face into a perfect mask of expressionless calm, Nicara let the man look her over from head to toe and inwardly sighed at his snort. Life was certainly a bit different in a hold it appeared, no one showed any respect for another's personal form. It made her all the happier that she had grown in a Weyr.

"It would appear that way." Nicara ground out, her voice pleasant despite the nearly monotone level of it as she came to grips with her dragon being insulted by someone that Roana had called a friend. All the same she gave him a slow nod because the redhead called him friend.

Turning slowly, Diesteth's form disappeared into the water over the dock with only a few ripples to prove where he had gone so suddenly. It left the slim woman feeling all but naked before the man who still looked threatening in her eyes, but she had been trained in basic self defense and all she could do was square herself up even tighter, body tensing so that she would be ready for anything that might come her way.

Sinders Path

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 am
Roana gave a sharp pointed cough and Tug looked at her. She simply raised a brow and tilted her head towards Nicara. Tug got the hint. "Ah, sorry about what I called ya and ya beast, I meant no harm by it. These boats are our livelihood so we have to protect them. " Ro nodded her approval and shot a grin at Nicara, she had things in hand.

Tug meanwhile watched the dragon slip into the water, once again eyeing the result the movement had on the vessels moored there. Once all trace of the blue hide had vanished the old pirate seemed to be able to relax again and he turned to Roana. "Come on girl, Auntie would never forgive me if she found out I saw you and didn't take you for a visit. Most of the boys will be at the ship fish about this time to I reckon." He reasoned "come on."

Still grinning ear to ear she reached back and grabbed Nicara's hand. "Come on." she echoed with a playful wink. "You'll love Auntie, One of the best cooks in the hold and tough as dragon hide." It was clear from the way she spoke that the red head admired the women.

Tug lead the way off the docks and toward the maze of back streets and alleys that lead off the docks. The space was tight but they were active. with workers ferrying into a variety of bars while women sold things from small side carts of called out offers of company. Tug lead the pair of a bar called 'The Dawn Dolphin'. Quite a few of the bars they had passed had also shared some variation of the name but the bright red Shipfish painted on the sign made the establishment stand out.

Tug opened the door for them and Roana pulled Nicara inside. Again, the insides matched what the outside promised, it was a dimly lit place with grimy windows, walls held up by years worth of plastered posters and flyers, heavy reliable furniture and a patronage of pirates and sailors who were mostly men. When Roana entered however a shout went up from one of the tables. Calls of "Red?!" "Roana?" "Is that the little Ro boat back?" Pretty soon sveral men all of a similar dress and visage to Tug were crowding towards them giving Ro slaps across the back and familial hugs of greeting.

Ro laughed happily and tried to introduce Nicara to each new face but it was an impossible task to keep them all straight.

"This is Boon, Harlek and Troll, they all worked with my uncle back in the old days, this is Quellston, he has his own ship, business partner of my uncle and general rouge. Oh Athlee." There was only one younger specimen among the bearded band, handsome with dark hair tied in a pony tail and deep dark eyes that had little distinction between pupil and Iris. He and Roana shared a particularly warm greeting. "Wow, you look like an actual sailor now. Not just the ships pet" she teased him. "Oi, I have you know I have been growing steadily for years, you just never noticed cause you were freakishly tall."
"well keep up the good work and you might have some chance of one day growing into that nose." Ro added before she grinned and kissed his cheek. Athlee blushed and the the rest of the men cheered and jeered him for it. At last there was a loud thump of wood on wood.

A tall broad shouldered women wielding a wooden spoon like a weapon pushed through the crowd. She looked no older than 50 but her hair had already turned completely steely grey and fell around her shoulders, decorated and tied in places with colored thread which complimented the bandanna around her head. She looked like she coul take any one of the men in the bar in an arm wrestling contest and by the way they all backed up, they believed it too. "okay you bunch of lay abouts, that's enough, back to your seats. you're blocking up my Entrance, shoo now." she gave some of the men a hard smack with her spoon which got them all moving, some with reluctant grumbles. "Auntie." Roana called in greeting.

The women's features softened into a motherly smile and she put her arms around the shoulders of Roana and Nicara. "It's good to see you child, now come, sit away from the doorway before you get a chill."

Hattaki
[

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:24 pm
Body twisting and wings pushing water in great scoops, Diesteth propelled himself some way through the dark water, body bumping into hidden creatures and things despite his best attempts. A long searing pain shot over his left side, either a scrape or an attack by a beast that could see in the dark ocean, and the blue dragon dove down deeper to gain enough speed. Spinning back skyward once he’d dove down to where his claws would touch, he used his wings and the force of his kick to swim speedily upward until he broke the surface in an uprush of water, thankful that he seemed nearly a mile away from the boats moored to the dock. Likely it was well enough away that only the barest of wakes would even make it to them, the people of this hold seemed to view dragon’s in a negative enough light that there wasn’t even one manning the lookout station where his feet landed delicately after the briefest of flights. Diesteth didn’t want to do anything that might upset the people Roana loved any further, lest they kick himself and his rider from the hold without her altogether.

At least the lookout point seemed safely away from any human that might find him a fright or a threat and the large blue laid heavily on his right side, ichor seeping slowly from a light gash on his left. Luckily it was shallow and the worst of the bleeding had been done in the sea, by morning it would no longer be bleeding. It would be a long night, but he was thankful that his rider was so thoroughly distracted that their connection felt a bit distant. Lifting his head, Diesteth looked towards the sky and settled in as a guard for the hold for as long as he was permitted to stay, great blue head unmoving.

A burning feeling shot through the left side of Nicara's body and she instantly reached out towards her dragon, concern blossoming in her chest despite being pulled along the docks by Roana towards something or someone she could only guess at. A wave of calm came from the large blue and he firmly told her that a graze was nothing to concern herself with in the least when she was following the girl she had feelings for into the world of her past. Sniffing a bit at his dismissal of her, Nicara lifted her eyes and saw the sign for the building they were about to walk into, of course she understood the reference, but an eyebrow lifted all the same for the location and appearance. Even if they could be deceiving at times, this did not seem to be one of those times and she was forced to stop focusing on her dragon's snickering retorts to cast a glance around herself.

She wouldn't take you anywhere she thought you'd be unsafe, just relax and actually spend the night with that girl you pine for so. Diesteth offered to her, laughter in his voice for her predicament.

So caught up on those words and the reaction that they gave her, she was simply categorizing the faces to the names that were offered to her without asking questions or doing much more than nodding to show them that she acknowledged them. It was hardly fair and she yanked out of her own head long enough to catch the interaction that Roana had with the young man who's face seemed rather pretty. Heart sinking down into the pit of her stomach with realization, Nicara's face slammed into her normal expressionless state, of course she had someone that she had feelings for, someone closer to her in age that could give her much more than some dragon rider could hope to. What a fool she'd been, but it made sense at least, so she could support her decision in things now, understood why she was always dreaming of home, as love often did that.

Far up on the watchpoint Diesteth jerked physically at his rider's whirl of emotions, his eyes turning a shade of yellow and then slowly to red Stop that! I promise you it's not what you think Nicara, I swear to you. If anyone should know that it should be you, that girl is dynamic and vibrant, but what just happened is not what you think. I know it's hard to come out of your own walled up armor to see that, but all you have to do is show her how you feel and every sick feeling you've had recently will be washed away. Please, please stop feeling like you're sinking, I can't take it. Slowly he stood, as if he could fly back down there and push his head through the door and shake sense into her.

It's hardly foolish to understand how she feels, how that boy feels for her. I know you think I'm a fool Diesteth, but his reaction is the same one I have, who would I be to deny that?

Before her dragon could answer loudly enough for her to listen, a woman much larger than even Roana scooped the slim woman under her arm along with the redhead and guided her away from the main entrance, one that she had begun thinking that she could escape from if given the right incentive. She had promised Roana, but she had also promised herself that she would see this wonderful girl happy, and she couldn't do that if she was stupidly standing there like a log that might have kept her from doing anything with the boy who cared for her. Face turning a brilliant shade of red as her heart hammered, Nicara allowed herself to be guided further into the building under the large woman's arm, eyes looking for the safest place to put herself in to see everything and not have herself exposed should anything happen. It was a natural instinct that she'd developed even just fighting Thread, no enemies or threats to her back, as generally there was another twenty some feet of dragon that could be hurt back there.

A dragon that was growling to himself as he settled back onto the stone, debating whether or not to send a jab towards the little redhead he cared about. The way his rider's mind read currently had him concerned that she might try to leave her here to be with the family she so clearly missed and he was not at all about to do that, even though he would be forced to if his rider asked him. He didn't have it in himself to fight back against her orders or wishes, not after nearly eight turns together. It didn't take the worry away though, but Diesteth was also torn about bothering Roana when she was so happy, it was all he could feel coming off of her. He thought he was right, he thought he could sense feelings there, he'd been slowly trying to get his stubborn rider to acknowledge her own over the past few months, was it all going to be dashed?

No, he wouldn't allow something like that to happen, not with what he saw floating in the air between them, some unspoken thing that humans had issues with admitting.

Roana, please do me a favor and box her ears. the big blue sent her way, short and simple seemed the best approach to all of this foolishness.

Sinders Path

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:02 pm
It was a good thing that Nicara didn't voice Diesteths pain or Roana would have insisted on checking on the beloved blue. After all she would not have been able to continue enjoying herself or relax knowing he went untreated and alone. Diesteth was not her dragon but he might have been, she had adopted him in much the same way he had her. But Nicara choose to remain silent so the red head remained ignorant of the blues troubles.

Instead she was happily chatting along to 'Auntie' while the women settled all three of them into a booth. The old plush seats were bulging with well worn padding and enveloped their guests like marshmallow, inviting them to sink in, settle down and relax into the stained fabric. "So Auntie, have you seen my uncle around? I keep sending him letters but lately I haven't been getting many replies."
The old battle axe waved away her concern. "Ah don't worry, you leaving has just been the kick he needed. Now he can't lean on you anymore he's finally managed to get some work with old Natter. Just a cargo run I think, nothing too heavy. He should be back in a few days" Roana relaxed and nodded, it was good to know he wasn't just drowning himself in the bottom of bottles anymore. "Thanks Auntie,"

It was then that Roana got the mental jab from Diesteth and looked over to the smaller women beside her. Ah, s**t. How had she not noticed?
"Hey Auntie. Can you grab us a couple of drinks? I want to celebrate being home properly."
The older women looked between the two women then nodded. She was a sharp one. "Of course darlin'. Ah, don't you dare. Put those marks away you don't pay here my girl. I'll get you something to eat as well." She told them before pushing up her bulk to hustle back behind the counter.

As soon as she was out of ear shot Roana turned in her seat and took both Nicara' hands in her own to prompt her to look at her. "Nicara." She called the rider. "Come one. I know that look, you're getting way to much into your own head again. Whats wrong? look I know all this is a lot to take in. But I promise these guys are softies really....well okay they aren't exactly saints but they would never hurt me or anyone I brought here. Besides. Auntie keeps them all in line. She's not actually my Auntie by the way. Though her and my uncle did date for a while. She just looks after everyone. Makes sure none of her people ever go hungry or thirsty so we call call her that. Anyway. I'm getting off track. You going to tell me whats bothering you?"

Hattaki
]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 am
Being on autopilot let her listen to quite a bit and digest many of the things being said around her. For instance, Nicara could hear some of the men talking very fondly of Roana, swapping stories about her from when she'd been with them on the ship. Not... not all of them were necessarily what she would consider proper for telling in society, but it amused her all the same. Inwardly she smiled as she switched back and forth between all the things she was hearing, her eyes on Roana and the woman that she had introduced as 'Auntie' as they spoke fondly of the redhead's father. That was another conversation she could hear and she filed that away as a good thing, the man had been rather sloshed the last time she had laid eyes on him in that alley in the midst of a brawl with his niece.

What she would give to not remember that particular part of the night again, it was rather comical how things had gone from that night to where the pair of them were sitting now. So many months from when she had stormed back to Nicara and demanded to go with her to the Weyr after she'd run off on her own, after she'd let her go in the hopes that she would come back...

Blue eyes blinking at her hands suddenly being grabbed, at Roana's red hair coming into focus as her face peered into the slim woman's own. Slowly her words came into focus but they seemed to be trailing and disjointed to her as her heart hammered loudly, drowning out much of what she might glean for a response. Why was she focusing on her anyway when she should be talking to Auntie? For that matter, where had the woman managed to get off to? Glancing about briefly she noticed her behind the bar with a bottle in her hand and it wasn't overly shocking to her given their location at least, but it was rather sudden that she had missed her departure. Maybe she really was up in her head.

"Sounds like she's true to her job then, taking care of everyone present here and there are quite a few of them. Most telling stories of your days on the ship." Nicara offered, letting that hang between them, only a little bit of an impish light flashing behind the straight look that was still settled firmly over her features.

You're doing your best to try and hide your feelings from her, stop doing that. If you just tell her it'll go better, you'll feel better no matter what the answer is but you can't keep armoring up your heart to keep everyone at bay. You'll lose everyone if you do, peace can only be found when you set that armor aside. Diesteth offered once more, his mind calmly wrapping around hers as if he could convince her of the mistake that she was trying to make just now.

If she could have waved a hand at him she would have, but Nicara mentally waved the big blue's words off and glanced out into the crowded room once more and thought quickly of how to make Roana comfortable without pouring her heart out all over embarrassingly.

"There are a lot of men here, reminds me a little of a wing meeting. It's just a lot to take in at once, I'm okay, really." Nicara managed, hating herself as she watched the younger woman's carefully, not even attempting to risk a smile lest she mess that up and appear unsettled as she was still seeing that young man's face in her mind. She couldn't get in the way, but drinks might help her get closer to pushing Roana towards him so that she could make a decision tonight, one that might change how she and Diesteth left.

Sinders Path

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:48 am
Roana knew that Nicara was not the best at opening up to people. After all she had been trying to prompt certain reactions from the women since they had met, though they had rarely worked. On one hand, an annoyance but on the other hand, it just lead the red head to redouble her efforts. But Nicara was still able to throw her by mentioning the men telling stories about her younger days on the ship. "What? They are?"

Roana snorted indignant and cocked her head to the conversation. "Harlek! Stop right there. Don't you dare tell the story of he rigging and the sea wherry!" she warned him. Of course that just encouraged them. Then the story of Roana trying to chase troublesome sea wherries out of the rigging commenced, unfortunatly she had lost her footing, ended up tangled in the ropes and then had the Wherries settle on her head, nest in her hair and regurgitate it's last meal of half digested fish into her locks. Roana groaned making a mental promise to make the man pay for that one later as the rest of the group laughed uproariously at her humiliation. It wouldn't have been that funny but Harlek was a gifted and animated story teller and manged to recreate her look of horror and disgust at the events almost perfectly every time.

Roana tried to ignore them and refocus on her companion. "Look Nicara, I brought you here because you're really important to me now. Close as any of these men and as important to me. So I wanted you to see where I came from met everyone that I consider family. Though on second thoughts it might have been better to take you to see my folks first. They still live in the little cot hold I was born in with some of my brothers and sisters and a whole pack of grand kids. I think it might have been a little less intimidating" Or maybe not, she could only imagine what the kids reactions to Diesteth would have been. At least it would not have been as confrontational as Tug's.

At that moment Auntie returned laden with goodies, one hand was occupied with a bottle of amber colored liquid and several glasses which she set out for each of them. In the other she balanced a large round tray with the acrobatic skill that only came with long practice. When she set it down it became clear what it was. Food. Cold cuts mostly, roast herdbeast well seasoned and cut into thin strips. But also a plate of smoked fish and a few fat tomatoes sliced along side all accompanying fat slices of heavily buttered bread, fresh that day from auntie's own ovens.

"wow, thankyou Auntie, sure I can't pay for this?" Roana asked again, the older women just fixed her with a scowl to make it clear she was insulted by the mere suggestion.

She then retook her seat. Looking square at Nicara this time. "So what's your story girlie?" She asked "Roana knows better than to bring just anyone back to my bar, even if they are a dragon rider." The women added glancing at the knots that Nicara wore.

Roana knew better than to cut in and help Niacra after Auntie had asked a direct question so she poured them each a drink and started to pile a slice of the crusty bread with goodies from the cold cuts plate.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 am
Laughter actually edged at the back of her throat, her chest burning keeping it in as she imagined a younger and shorter Roana trying to catch a lost sea wherrie scrambling over rigging on a ship. It was adorable and not something she would have expected to experience even as a story in a bar such as this. If nothing else that was going to make the night that much better, for she could always pull this moment back up and remember the laughter and how happy everyone was. How it made her feel to laugh inwardly at a story that was told, she'd never had that before even with friends.

"You don't have to worry about that Roana, I'm glad that we're here, because I can tell it makes you happy. Everyone needs to visit their favorite places sometimes, home, bars full of friends, their best places for memories and... " She trailed off as the word love nearly spilled from her lips and betrayed her. From where she was sitting she could see the young man that Roana had kissed and luckily didn't have to twist her head to look anywhere else that might betray who she was looking at and what she was thinking. "These sorts of places aren't so bad as long as your back is to a wall and everyone is in front of you, not to mention they're all your friends, so Diesteth and I aren't in any danger here as long as we have you."

Hearing the mention of Roana's family startled her a bit, why would she take her there? It would be fun of course to meet her family, but that was something that she should really save for that boy that loved her. Once she could edge them together to spend some time with one another, after a few drinks of course to get everyone in a better mood, maybe she could get the thought into her friend's ear to take him there and introduce him. Maybe he even knew them already and she was just blindly flailing in the dark! This was new territory to her, setting people up with one another, especially one that she really loved with another. Swallowing the lump that formed in her throat she was extremely grateful that Auntie chose that moment to walk back over to their table with a tray of everything she could imagine from a bar.

Slowly she lifted up a plate and put a piece of bread on it, her other hand took one of the drinks that was offered to her and she all but dropped it when the woman asked for her story. Only the fact that her hand gripped tightly to the little glass kept it from falling to the table and spilling everywhere and without even thinking she tilted the glass back and swallowed everything within as fast as she could so that she could think. What did one tell a woman that likely thought she stole away a girl she considered family? That she Searched her because she and Diesteth believed that she 'had that certain something special', that she had feelings for her that blossomed over the past few months and had been just chewing on them desperately with each passing day?

Placing the glass back on the table she looked Auntie in the eye and nodded her head, "I Searched her a few months back, I think she's got something special in there that a dragon would pick as their other half. Know that she has something that important." Nicara offered up, "But really I'm just a Searchrider who befriended her."

Really that was all that she knew about herself and she'd spent quite some time with herself thank you, certainly more than anyone else. That earned her a jab from her very loving blue dragon and she stammered out, "I can play a violin at least?"

Smooth.

Stop it!

Sinders Path

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:21 am
Auntie gave Nicara a long hard look at her answer. "Well crack dust girl any one of us here could have told you that Roana has something special about her. There is not many that could have taken her away from us though, so that must mean there is something about you as well. And it don't have anything to do with your violin or your dragon."
Roana was sitting beside her nodded vigorously even as she inhaled mouthfuls of the fresh bread and food stuffs. It was good 'fill a hole food' that made one feel comfortable and welcome. She also quickly refilled Nicara's glass once she emptied it. A bit of lubrication to make conversation run smoother couldn't hurt.

Auntie might have questioned the rider further but by that point the group of sailors had noticed food had been laid out. Like sharks sensing blood in the water they each got up to shuffle closer. "Hey Auntie how come you never give us free food?" Tug complained "Yea, Ro. How about sharing with your old uncle Harlek?" Another added hopefully.

Auntie instantly had wooden spoon in hand again. "Because none of you deserve it, you'd suck me dry if you could." she pointed out "If you want feeding. I'll have your marks on your table first." Reluctantly, grumbling all the en fished out coins or various worth and dropped them before Auntie. There seemed to be no set price. It was a mix of what they had on them and wht they could realistically afford. But the food all looked so inviting not one of them was immune to the roll of hunger their bellies sounded on seeing it. Auntie swept all the coins into her pockets and stood up. "Now you lot behave while I'm gone and don't bother my girls to much." She instructed before bustling to the kitchen.

Of course that was a tall order. As soon as she was gone all the men filed into the booth or grabbed chairs and circled the table. The bottle was offered around after Roana and nicara both had their glasses topped off for a third time.
Athlee had slipped upto Roana on her open side and tried to reach across and grab some of the smoke fish but Roana smacked him across the knuckles before he could reach it, resulting him stealing a slice of bread with his other hand. Ro snorted indignation but the rest of the assembled men snorted laughter. Athlee flashed an impish yet shy grin and seemed to get away with it.

It didn't matter. Auntie soon returned loaded down with treats from the larder and this time there was wherry meat, spider claw honey cakes, more bread and a selection of fruits with a few veggies. The men fell upon the feast with Gusto and soon drinks and conversation were flowing again. Roana reveled in it while poor Nicara was forced to be stuck there between Roana and Athlee on one side and Tug on the other.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 am
A hard look and an even harder response met her answer, but she wasn’t at all sure how to make up for any of that. Really she was nothing to the Weyr but a loyal dragon rider that fought Thread and risked her life when it was asked if her and with the return of the Red Star it was asked more and more recently. She counted her blessings on the shells of Faranth’s first clutch that High Reaches had gotten over their crippling sickness and managed to fly once again. That was all she was though, a wingrider that occasionally went on a Search that produced predominantly.... redheads. Diesteth laughed wickedly in her head.

Well! I don’t know what makes me special! You should be answering this question, not me. There isn’t a thing remarkable about me and you know it!

There is more than enough about you to make you one of the most remarkable humans that I’ve met. I wouldn’t have chosen you if I thought for one second you were as bland as your self image in your head. Roana knows how special you are or you wouldn’t be here tonight, now hurry up and TELL her that before something else happens please? was Diesteth’s only response.

Still confused, still certain that she was as bland and boring and seemingly unremarkable as the plates beneath the food being served to the mouths of all the men in the room, Nicara eyed Auntie and lost her nerve instantly. She couldn’t tell Roana how she felt about her in front of this woman that might threaten violence towards her for it. Roana was Auntie’s family, if anything she would think she stole her away because she liked her or some other equally embarrassing thing. Not to mention all the sailors and pirates around her, they’d likely threaten death for her selfish desires towards their friend.

Tilting her glass back not once but three more times in fast succession, refilling them herself each time as a glow slowly settled over her being, the slim rider tried desperately not to look at Athlee and how shy he was around Roana, it made the alcohol settle sour in her stomach.

Taking a mouthful of bread, though she broke it off carefully before popping it in her mouth instead of biting it in half like some of the men around her, Nicara steeled herself against her next move as Roana’s friend. She had to help these two get together, she just hadn’t the faintest idea what words they needed to hear to help that whole process along. Maybe it was best to start with the absolute basics and move up from there. Reaching down into her reserves of tentative memories when it came to romantic interactions and what flirting looked like, she could at least pull up images of people close together in the Weyrs. Most of those relationships started during green or gold flights and moved on to more or less after, maybe their time knowing one another before she Searched Roana would help him get up his courage?

Taking another drink and making sure to fill her glass once more, her intention to get rather drunk for this entire encounter so it would hurt hopefully less slowly working, Nicara offered Athlee a piece of the roasted fish from her own plate as a replacement for what he’d been trying for.

“So... how long have you two, known each other?” Rocky start if any, but she was determined to help him win Roana over so they were both happy. “Did you sail together?”

I’m so glad I’m not there to watch this shipwreck of a conversation you’re about to have. How did you get pinned in by sailors?! You’re as fast as lightning with your reflexes, did you sit there like a log? There was mirth in the voice of her dragon, the big blue was barely keeping himself from rolling in amusement on the stones of the watchpoint, beside himself with laughter as he was. All that his words managed to get from his rider was a slight blush to her already tinting cheeks as she tried not to let his laughter impede her attempts to get the two young people to her side together. You are not a matchmaker and that girl loves you! Please stop! I can't keep laughing, it's starting to hurt. The more that you drink the worse this will get, we learned at one of those drinking parties at the Weyr that you cannot hold your alcohol.

Her eyes closed so she could roll them at Diesteth without any of the pirates noticing, but honestly it was true, she was already feeling the floating effect of the alcohol and would most certainly be regretting this entire encounter in the morning when she woke up beside her dragon having been unable to fly back.

“Sinders Path”

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 am
The simple bar meet had quickly upgraded to full on party. Even the few lonely bar flies that were not part of the main group were pulled in to share the free flowing booze and offered things to eat. Luckily the conversation was not solely focused on Roana anymore and the pirates soon fell in to talking about the state of their fellows. New ships that had been spotted pulling into river crest. The expected weather for the next few days among more crude shout outs to the local women, a few playful Passes at Auntie which she quickly shut down with her wooden spoon and general merriment.

Roana was listening intently to it all, happy to catch up with the gossip of home and occasionally injecting questions about a ship of certain Crew member that was not at the meet. She was trying to keep one eye on Nicara and occasionally bumped her shoulder to keep her focused but she was by and large distracted by everything else to pry Nicara out of her own inner thoughts and insecticides.

She was brought back by Nicara's question, blinking as if coming out of a daze. "Oh, me and Athlee?" She grinned "Well we have sailed together but that's not how we meet." She cleared her throat and looked over at Athlee who had an ear to the conversation and sighed heavily when Roana gave him a questioning look. "Fine, you can tell her. It's not exactly a secret." Athlee grumbled.
"Athlee was a male prostitute the boys brought me for my 18th Birthday." Across the table some of the men groaned. "Don't tell her that one Ro!"
"Pipe down Quell, I'm telling it." Ro insisted. "Anyway. Athlee served strictly male clientele, he thought one of the boys was renting him for themselves, so when he got faced with me he didn't have a clue. He get it his best shot, but it was like watching a man trying to put together a chest of draws while following the instructions to make a bed." Athlee groaned and let his head flop onto the table. "I don't do girls okay!" Roana grinned wickedly. Lifting her hands up to chest level she made a series of awkward twisting and squeezing motions. "Oh baby. I know you like that, that feels good right?" Collective laughter from everyone but Quell, Tug and Athlee who all looked a little uncomfortable.

"Anyway it was pretty clear he was useless after that and I got him to fess up about the mistake, but he'd gone threw with it because he was desperate for the money. Anyway, I took him to my uncle after that and we cleaned him up and my uncle set him up as an Apprentice. After a while he transferred to working under Harlek here cause he needed a new ship apprentice and cabin boy and my Uncle already had me." She raised her eye at Nicara. "You didn't think we were an item did you? We just play it up, since it's become a running joke."  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 am
Nicara was thunderstruck into complete silence, a silence only broken by the heaving laughter of a dragon on a far off watchpoint that no one but she herself could hear, which was only half of the insult in this case. A male prostitute... a male prostitute that hadn't the faintest idea what to do with the female form so he'd been made into a cabin boy that just played around with... Her silence stretched and stretched and finally she tossed back the drink that she'd poured herself, having almost dropped it when the story finished, and bit a hunk of the roasted fish off without even attempting to be polite about it. Mind all but shut down with the roaring laughter coming from three sides and the groan from another, the rider was utterly stunned and felt as if she could sink slowly into the floor in that moment. She would have made an amusing puddle most likely, all boneless from the alcohol that was burning through her veins and making it all a little fuzzy, so fuzzy that her normal retort about how prostitutes were a predominantly slave driven business sputtered out in her own head before she was given the chance to even think it much less say it.

What an idiot she was that she could fall for a show so easily!

Tossing back the last of her drink the slim woman's head fell down to the now clear spot in front of her, propped heavily on an arm that managed to catch it before it hit wood. Far from being so drunk that she would need to be drug away just yet, but certainly no longer sober, Nicara's laughter began to bubble from where she had her head on the table until her shoulders fairly shook with it. What kind of an idiot had she been on this night thinking that Roana was together with someone that had been left behind? Nonsensical thoughts drifted through her mind, but she was able to find the small piece of herself that was disappointed at her own thoughts, asserting that she didn't really know who the redhead might have left behind that was important to her, that she loved and would go back to in a heartbeat.

A distant voice spoke to her but she couldn't understand the words, her connection to her dragon becoming somewhat muddied by the ringing in her ears and the sound of rushing water that was most surely blood pumping through her veins quickly in response to so much alcohol in such a short amount of time. There was no way to pick up on exactly what her dragon was trying to say any longer, she just couldn't understand him from that distance and he when he couldn't get through to her, the first time in all his turns that he couldn't feel her, Diesteth gave a trumpet of laughter and sent Roana a soft request to keep his now drunken rider safe for him. His voice was lost to her, but he knew eventually that it would come back, similar things had happened at K'gan's drinking games after all, just not this severe.

She'd have set you up with that boy if she could, I hope you know that. She's as block headed as they come but really she's got a good heart down there under all the awkward. Diesteth offered to the redhead as way of explanation for Nicara's drunken state of mirth. I believe she was trying to get the edge off of having to try and set you up with someone else. What a silly thing love is. Though I have to say, I wasn't expecting that story in a thousand turns, I see why she's a complete mess down there with all her nerves!

Oh love, love was what she felt and would tell Roana all about if she could, if there weren't so many around her. Picking her head up, laughter still bubbling in her chest as her eyes watered from holding in much more than she'd just exposed from herself, the rider clapped Athlee on the back gently and poured him another drink.

Really she was pouring it for herself in a way, but she was offering it to him at least as she recognized that more alcohol was likely not the answer for what she was feeling just now. Food was, she grabbed another piece of bread and broke it up to eat, hoping it might sop up some of the alcohol that was making her loopy and taking her completely out of character. She had to stop the effects of the alcohol and fast or she'd end up doing something that she might regret and likely Roana wouldn't enjoy one bit.

She'd never even kissed someone before, how was one supposed to do that and then confess that they loved someone in the same night! It was impossible.

“Sinders Path”

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am
Roana didn't need Diesteth to chip in and tell her that his rider was moving past the point of tipsy and into completely sloshed territory. The red head might have been younger but she could hold her drink and she had been taking it steady thinking they would spend most of the evening drinking and chatting with her crew. Roana now realized that had been a fools errand. Nicara needed a liberal amount of booze to start any exchange between herself and the rest of Ro's adopted family but since she could not hold her drink the results she was seeing before her were almost guaranteed.

Huh, I thought her head might being going to some sort of stupid places but I didn't think she would actually try and set me up.

Never the less she hadn't missed the dragon's mention of love and it made her own practiced heart flutter a little in her chest. She put a steadying hand gently on Nicara's shoulder. "Auntie, is it okay if we use your spare room? I think this one could use a little bit of time to lay down to sober up." Auntie eyed Nicara briefly. Well she was not wrong. The older women nodded. "Go ahead, the key is behind the counter in the usual place." Roana nodded and poked Athlee hard in the ribs until he moved aside to let her out of the booth.

She walked behind the counter and found the familiar brass key on it's old reliable hook. Clutching it in one hand she walked back to the table. "Come on Nicara, lets get you some water and a place to lay down." Roana cooed. Motioning to Athlee for help they both took Nicara's arms to assist in shuffling her out of the booth without her injuring herself. Once she was free of the furniture Roana slid a hand around her waist. "Thanks Athlee I've got it from here." She promised and started to lead the blue rider through the clutter of bar chairs and table to a door at the back of the bar. It opened up to a narrow stair case that Ro and Nicara barley squeezed onto walking side by side.

At the stop of the stairs was a small rectangular shaped hallway with four doors leading from it. Ro selected the second one o the left and unlocked it with the key. Inside was a simple room, bed, chest of draws, wardrobe and worn rug. No personal touches or mess which marked it as a clear guest room. Roana let Nicara down onto the bed. Walked over to the chest of draws and poured out a glass of water from the pitcher atop it. She offered it to the blue rider while she sat down beside her. Waited patiently for her to drink it. Then, she narrowed her and punched her hard in the shoulder. "You utter sharing Dimglow. Faranth help me, what am I meant to do with you? Who in their right mind tries to set up the person they like with someone else? Are you really that dense? I thought you might actually get jealous, at least show a little....Something!" Ro sighed in exasperation "You do like me,don't you? I mean as more than friends."  
[IC RP] Holds & Halls

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff