Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] Western Weyr
[ORP] Candidate Rule Number One (A'ral & all Candidates) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:44 pm

After tendering his resignation to Weyrleader R'mor, and having it soundly rejected, Candidatemaster A'ral returned to his lesson hall. His students had gathered before him, some looking chagrined, some defiant, and some simply bored. All of them were the subject of today's lesson. He stood, stone faced and with an air of pure disappointment, arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't want an explanation or excuse from anyone about the deplorable performance that I've seen from Western Weyr at Hatchings of late. In fact, I hold myself responsible for this. I have no business pretending at being Candidatemaster if not a one of you can be trusted to follow Rule Number One. Some of you are new to Western Weyr. However, very few of you have never been told how to behave in the presence of a dragonet."

Sweeping his gaze over those gathered, he shook his head. "I have never been so disappointed in my entire career as a Candidatemaster. I have never had higher expectations, and never seen my students fail to follow even the simplest of guidelines. I have told High Reaches that we are more than equal to them. I have bragged about you to the likes of Gr'del. To V'mel. You have been crowed about to Weyrwoman Zheria. To my shame, I lauded you."

He ticked off points on his fingers as he spoke. "You did not, not a one of you, manage to hold your composure during any of the recent Touchings. You did not, not a one of you, curb your tongues when the very lives of Pern's best hope depended on it! You did not, not a one of you, perform in any way that might be described as even merely adequate. You have shown that you care more about adolescent feelings and crushes than you do on being Pern's saviors. You have shown a complete lack of respect for the great calling that you have been chosen for. I admit, I am at a loss of where to go from here."

The worst part of it is that he had believed in them. And he still did. He wanted them to succeed. "I know you are capable of so much more. I know each and every one of you has the ability to succeed. I know that you can prove yourselves to be the equal to any of Pern's finest. So... why do you insist on behaving as though you don't care about the most important thing in the entire world? Make no mistake: When you are out there on those Sands, you are not important. Focus on them. Focus on those Hatchlings, and by the First Egg, do not let me down again, and think negative thoughts! I don't want any further reports that any of you nearly scared a baby between. Yes. Yes, you nearly killed a hatchling dragonet."

Finally, A'ral buried his head in his hands. "If you cannot do this, please notify either me, or one of my assistants. We will find another place for you. But if you want to become a dragonrider, start acting like it. You are all going to have remedial lessons. And let me remind you - those people that you think you don't like? Those people are your future wingmates. Start thinking and acting like a team! Or is Western Weyr not made up of Pern's best and brightest? Am I wrong to believe in you? Here is where we find out. Right. Today, you are assigned a short essay describing the most important aspects of Candidacy, starting with rule one: Always think positive thoughts in the presence of a dragonet."

---

OOC Note: Please write up four to five paragraphs (and they can be as long or short as you like) answering the assignment above! There may or may not be a raffled prize involved. ;D <3 (One ticket per player, regardless of number of Candidates!)

If you would like to RP with A'ral, or if your Candidate has questions for A'ral, please ping me in your post.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:45 pm

((SAVED!))

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm
[No raffle 4 me plz]
Martirae

Marty had seen plenty of reasons why this very lecture was happening the last few times on the sands. And High Reaches had been there to see it. A'ral's anger and frustration was very warranted. So while Martirae didn't particularly enjoy being on the lashing end of the verbal lashing all candidates were receiving, she also didn't take it personally. Reminders were reminders for a reason.

Certainly, she did have a tongue that could serve itself better not slicing other's into pieces while on the sands.

Of course, it was the writing part that was going to take forever. Marty settled in, her expression completely unbothered as she began to write her...essay. There was no reason to be terse in it and have the candidatemaster breathing down her neck while suspecting her blunt ways would be a problem.

Quote:

Dragons are highly sensitive creatures, seeing into the minds of others - especially in their youth when they are feeling out for who is their's. A harsh thought is easily too much for a young, fragile mind - which is also why the early rules of Weyrlinghood are in place. It is our jobs as candidates to be a haven for the newly hatched of Pern. These dragons are more valuable at birth than we are by donning our white robes and are to be greeted as such.

Harsh thoughts are a wall between ourselves and a hatchling who has likely never experienced such things and are not prepared to handle them on their own. They will be the center of their bonded's life. The attention of their bonded is not something many will be ready to fight for, thus a mind open and kind will more easily bring them calm and prevent disaster on the sands.

At a touching, it will be more easy for a baby to look thru and find theirs if walls of negative thoughts do not push them away or deter their interest, keeping them from finding their most perfect of chosen.

Neither the Touching nor the Hatching is about the candidates - it is for and about the dragons that are awaiting their places in the world.

Marty would have been loathe to admit it, but....she could see L'nik in her words. He would have said every one of them. She didn't like the idea of admitting that he was right and she...was perhaps too much of a fortress.

----

Papys

Papys was perhaps a few glows short of a basket about this entire thing. After all! He hadn't done anything too frightfully bad on the sands, now had he? He listened, yes, but perhaps the glow of ever radiating cheer was staving off the absolute blow this was meant to be.

Or, perhaps, he had already taken everything to heart and wasn't going to beat himself up about it. Writing, however, was a painfully long process for the young man. Though he didn't actually write much.

Quote:

A dragonet comes into the world ready to love their person with their entire being. We should be just as ready to love them back with ours! They're here to be the heroes of Pern and take someone with them for the adventure! They have a tough job and there is no reason they should be made to feel like it is a burden.

Dragons are good. They deserve good.

He was absolutely beaming as he finished writing. It was a very simple thing, as far as he was concerned.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:38 pm
It was sort of odd that one of the first things Soui would have to learn, or one of the first proper lectures she would attend as a Candidate (in training, she reminded herself), was that the Candidatemaster was absolutely ashamed of everyone and he'd wanted to quit. If what she was hearing was correct he'd previously been proud of all of them, but thanks to the actions of the past few...touchings? Hatchings? Events. Thanks to the actions of the past few events the poor man was just done. Done with everyone and looking like he wanted to cry. The compassionate part of Soui wished to give him a hug, to offer something warm to drink and a place to rest as part of a healer's treatment, but the part of her that had to learn told her to shut up and listen.

So with paper and pen in hand to take notes, as she didn't want to cause any problems after being given this chance, Soui scribbled down everything the man was saying. Or at least as much of it as she could, since taking notes wasn't exactly her forte and he'd been speaking rather passionately. Hopefully she'd be able to recall her shorthand later as the man moved on to talk about an assignment involving writing the rules of candidacy. Soui.....did not know all the rules of candidacy. She was still learning them after all, that's what she thought this meeting was going to be about originally, and she sort of paled at hearing over what they had to do.

Was she supposed to just...go based on the one he said and hoped it would be enough? Maybe she was supposed to have found a document or something that would have explained more and studied it before arriving. Or maybe she was just overthinking and needed to write what she was supposed to do. So.....so she did.

Quote:
You're supposed to only think positive and loving thoughts around dragonets because they're emotionally sensitive when fresh from the egg. They depend on the thoughts of those around them to help them find their rider, and anything negative can cause unneeded stress.

Also, don't touch any dragonet that isn't yours and don't run! Running can make them upset and you don't want to make them upset. Also, touching a dragonet that isn't yours can cause confusion and ultimately it's probably just best to stand there and maybe move slightly if one of them is coming to maul you. You can't move to protect your friends either because that could cause problems. Really it's best to leave that to the healers, it's what they're trained for.

Maybe just talk nicely to the dragonets, but in your head. Stay quiet, be kind and loving. Don't slap the eggs when you touch them, or don't move them. Maybe just listen to whatever the Candidatemaster says because it's his job.

I really don't know anything else, I'm sorry.

She finished writing and looked up, wondering what to do next. Turn it in? Raise her hand?  

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 pm
Ferrit

The trauma of what had happened at both the touchings she had participated in and the hatchings -- especially the hatching where the Candidate had died -- had stuck with Ferrit even all these months after the fact. She had tried to lose herself in her lessons and her baking, but the images of that boy getting torn to pieces by a dragonet were always there, weighing heavily on her. So she was not surprised at A'ral's lecture. They had behaved badly.

She leaned on the table, tapping her chin with the end of her pen. Then she started writing.

Quote:

The impact that we as Candidates have on dragonets cannot be underestimated. They are sensitive creatures as hatchlings and when they hatch, they are thrust into a world of confusion where their only thought is of finding their lifemate amongst the throngs of Candidates who want it to be themselves. Therefore, it is unsurprising that incidents happen

Not everyone is cut out to be a Candidate, despite what the Candidate or the dragon who Searched them might think. There are many other factors at play. Temperament, the desire of the potential Candidate, are but two of the things that a Search dragon might not consider. The maturity level of the person in question, too, is important to consider. Some young people simply do not have the mental capacity yet to appreciate the responsibility they are being subjected to. It is not a failing of the teacher; it is primarily on the student.

Which is why I am tendering my resignation as a Candidate. It is not that I lack the potential, or the capacity to understand what I was getting myself into; it is that I simply did not consider it all. This is no fault of yours -- it is all on me.

Thank you for being so patient whilst essentially herding felines. I will stay on in the Kitchen, which was my original assignment here, until such time as I am recalled to the Crafthall, although I plan on advising the Masterchef that I would like to stay on permanently here at Western Weyr. I rather like the place.

There, that was the deed done. Ferrit placed her paper at the end of the table and sat back, waiting for A'ral.

Mx Cherie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:06 pm
Lauthisen

Lauthisen didn't think he could possibly feel more exasperated. To him, these rules seemed so simple... but there was nothing for him to do but silently complete the task that had been given to him. They'd acted as fools, and this 'punishment' was rather light, so to speak. The most important aspects of Candidacy, hm? Very well. Carefully, he began to etch words into the pieces of hide they'd been given.

Quote:
Dragons are incredibly sensitive, complex creatures, especially at such a young age. A newly hatched dragon does not have the comfort, stability, and support of theirs. Any thoughts that are anything less than calm and positive can easily upset or frighten a newborn, and as a result, the dragon may injure itself or others.

In order to prevent such a thing, Candidates need to remain composed and keep their thoughts from straying towards anything negative. Though our group as a whole may be understandably excited and nervous at the prospect of meeting our life partner, a young dragon will die if they are unable to find their rider. Minds clouded with negative emotion only make finding their rider that much more difficult, and with Thread's return, any needless loss of a dragon only hurts us all.

If a dragonet responds poorly to one, do not lash out in response. They are infants, and responding to a baby in a harsh manner speaks volumes about one's character and ability to stay calm under pressure.

Remain quiet, respectful, and calm. If a dragon is meant for you, you will know.

--
Edited!
Aerden

The man listened somberly to the lecture, feeling tendrils of guilt writhe in his belly like tunnelsnakes. These were all true things that had been spoken. But to wallow in guilt was not Aerden's style. He would silently learn from these mistakes and do better.

Quote:
Dragonets remind me of young children. The world is new and strange, but even something as simple as a smile can ease tensions. But if you are harsh and aggressive... well, no child would want to be around such a person. Our job to is to make certain that they find their rider with as little difficulty as possible. A dragon will know which person is right for them. We don't need to impede their progress in any way.

Though it may be alarming to see two hatchlings fighting one another, it is best to stay back and allow them to settle things themselves.

We are all hoping for the same outcome. It is best if we can support each other.

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 pm
Marinel hated to think that the candidatemaster blamed himself for their behavior. His behavior. He'd caught himself being negative during the last hatching, and while nothing seemed to have come from that, he'd known better. He'd been at the Weyr for over a turn now. People needed to know how to control their feelings so not to overwhelm a newly hatched dragonet.

"I don't think it's your fault," he said. They were at fault, not him. He hated seeing the man he looked up to so much in such a state. They’d broken rules—Dolly had gotten hurt, he himself had felt anger at that bronze. He knew dragonets couldn’t control their emotions before they were Impressed and he’d still reacted.

The essay was going to take him a while, he thought, as he took a seat and began to write. How to word this…

Quote:

Dragonets feel things more strongly than people, they can sense people’s thoughts and we have to be careful not to think the wrong thing in case they get upset. Upsetting a dragonet is showing poor caliber in candidacy, because we’ve been taught better. A thought of anger or failure to send thoughts of positivity might frighten a dragonet.

The candidates aren’t the important thing at the hatching, the hatchlings are. They’re the next generation of dragons. Showing the hatchlings love and sending positive thoughts will maybe benefit them. I know now to control my feelings no matter what a hatchling might do, because they can’t control how they’re feeling and it’s a direct reaction to us.

I’m sorry I got so upset about D’mar’s injuries.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 pm
Having been only present for the most recent hatching and never even having touched a dragon egg in her life, Etansi didn't feel any real concern for the previous events as she knew those weren't her fault. Running away from the hatching on that beach though, hearing the exhaustion and sadness that worked it's way into her master's voice towards the end of the lecture, even having him make the statement that she should notify him if she didn't think she could do what needed to be done, it all weighed heavily on her and both of her eyebrows pulled slowly together. It made her feel something, the same sort of deep ache that she'd felt when Khamaith had spoken to her both times and instead it was for her master because he looked and sounded so disappointed in them all. Really she'd have liked to step to the front and take full responsibility, it was beyond her why she felt that way since there was only one thing that was her fault even if it was a very bad thing, she hadn't even been allowed to stand at the first hatching she'd been present for because she'd been just a bit too wild and untrained.

Still felt a little untrained. All the studying she'd been doing over the past month, everything that she had learned and absorbed, she should have known it all before this since she paid attention and had helped Erastan through most of his own lessons. But she hadn't believed she'd need it in the long run and she'd just recently found out how wrong she was. Sucking in a deep breath Etansi waffled between her desire to admit that she still didn't think she deserved the right to stand when she might never meet a dragon and the rather surprising desire that bubbled up in her unbidden to try. Just to try, was that so bad?

Quietly, not willing to draw anymore attention to herself than was strictly necessary in light of her behavior that had helped to bring this lecture and essay assignment down on all of them, Etansi let out the breath she'd been holding and started to write.

Quote:
Dragons are very sensitive beings that can pick up on emotions and thoughts even through the egg when touched, but especially once hatched. They should be introduced to calm emotions and even thoughts so that they do not react in a negative manner or become frightened in any way that might cause them to Between themselves before finding their partner. A candidate should always keep their thoughts even and relaxed when either touching an egg or standing for a hatching in order to keep these negative things from happening.

Once at a hatching one should stand very still and not approach, run from, or touch any of the hatchlings as this could cause unnecessary stress that might make them violent or Between themselves. To lose a dragon would be a loss to Pern, that is why all candidates should stand with respect and not do anything to harm or insult any dragon. Even leaping to defend a friend or loved one is not advised as the healers are on duty to help should the need arise.

Closing oneself off to the dragons around them may cause some distress to them as they are looking for their intended and it might impede their searching. Always stay as open and don't push them away no matter the circumstances, it is not their fault that a candidate might have odd feelings and they do not deserve them.

Dragons keep Pern safe with their riders, candidates need to understand that they have the chance to do the same someday and should represent themselves and the Weyr in the best way possible.

Her hands were shaking by the end and some of it was information she'd gleaned from reading and studying in the past month, information she hoped she hadn't just parroted out so badly that A'ral would notice and be angry. Really the last part she'd written terrified her, but not for herself right now. Standing on shaky legs she walked forward and placed it on the table before him, swallowing at the lump in her throat as she did so.

"I... I'm very sorry, again. I promise to do better..." She whispered to him in a shaky voice and she bowed her head to the man before going back to where she'd been.

Mx Cherie

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:27 pm
Akaris sank lower and lower into her seat as the Candidatemaster spoke, and further into herself.  Regardless of who had done or said or thought what at the most recent Hatching, she could very easily imagine that every word of the lecture was meant for and about her, because no matter how she seemed outwardly - no matter how much she had improved in many ways - there was no ridding herself of the deeply-buried guilt and doubt she'd carried for the last half a turn.  If not for the relationship she'd developed with A'ral and R'mor, she'd have been long gone...and there were still moments when it crossed her mind that she didn't deserve to be here, when she wondered why no one had thrown her out.

She tried not to think that way, but it crept up on her sometimes, when she was trying to sleep, or now and then when a conversation would stop or change if she got close.  And it had been right there at the back of her mind the whole time they'd been on the beach, and alongside the fear was one of the reasons she'd let herself be preoccupied with Rylyrr.  Better that than standing there alone, afraid and ashamed - but maybe that was what she should have done.  She hadn't thought she'd done anything untoward, but...but maybe a hug and holding hands for comfort was wrong.  They weren't even- They were just friends!  Probably.  At the moment.  They hadn't done anything, or...or talked about anything like that.  With the realization that she might have screwed up (again) when she was so sure she'd done better this time, she felt sick to her stomach.

Eyes down, she hunched over her essay-to-be and ran a hand through her hair, coaxing it forward to obscure her face.  She hated this essay, and she hated that they had to write it now and here.  Why couldn't it be homework?  A part of her wanted to rush through it, spit out the basic-but-true facts, and be done.  But he'd know, and be disappointed, and she didn't want to be a disappointment anymore.

Quote:
Thinking negative thoughts at a dragonet is dangerous.  Even if they think or do something bad, they don't know any better, and you'll only make it worse.  If they're confused or angry or scared when they hatch, they can hurt someone, or each other.  Someone could die.  They could die, and they're more important than we are.

There was more to it than that, rephrasings of the same thoughts mixed with more 'textbook' explanations - she really did pay attention in lessons - but there was a clearly self-effacing tone to it overall (and what may have been a couple of wet splots making a few words here and there harder to read), and at the very end:

Quote:
I'm sorry I got it wrong again.  I'll try to be better.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm
Oh dear. This isn’t good. Not at all. Bad, bad, bad… Aroontwa watched A’ral worriedly. Tears welled up in his big eyes as he listened to the lecture. He had thought at the time, but then tried to deny it. But one dragon had really almost died along with the candidate. He looked down at his page determined. In large loopy letters he scrawled:

Quote:
A dragonet is alone in the world still. There is no anchor for them to help make sense of everything and it is all so new to them. This can create confusion and chaos when negative thoughts are heard. It is like being told terrible things with no context to devalue those statements. Almost like we are telling the dragons they are bad if we are not careful.

We have to be careful because that is a life. A confused scared little life sometimes that acts out. It isn’t their fault. They don’t know better yet. We do, and it is our responsibility to be good about what we think.

Just like humans we won’t get along with every dragonet or egg. Simply say thank you and move on to the next egg or let the dragonet go on their way. We don’t want to pick fights with the dragonets. What if the fist minutes of your understanding in the world were filled with negativity? Would you want to stay? We want them to stay, so we have to think good thoughts.

Dragonets are precious. They are alone and lost and it is our thoughts that guide those moments between hatching and impressing. Negative thoughts will breed negative experiences. Not just for the dragonets but us too. So we have to be careful and thoughtful for the good of everyone.

It was more stream on consciousness than an essay, but it got the message across.  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm
Rundanrul sat with the other Candidates, fiddling with the golden chain around his neck. He had just turned fourteen and he had barely missed the clutch laid on an island, but it seemed like it wasn't a bad thing that he did. Everyone was getting yelled at - including him which was really dumb - but he sat quietly in place. This was his first large gathering with all of the Western Candidates and he - the newest one to join up - wasn't about to make waves by saying something.

Instead he got busy writing as directed, tapping his fingers on the desk as he thought about what to say. He only knew what his grandpa had told him about dragon riding, and while the older man was good at telling tales of bravery, fighting, and glory, there hadn't been many lessons from his Candidate years woven in there.

Quote:
The most important rules of Candidacy are always think positive thoughts around dragons, work as a team, and don't do dumb things. I will now write about why those things are important.

First, thinking good thoughts around dragons is important because dragons are super emotional creatures and they are really in tune with human emotions. If you think a bad thought a little dragon could get scared or angry and try to hurt someone or run away. If you think good thoughts they'll be happy and will be nice and maybe even Impress you.

Second, working as a team is important because one person can't fight Thread all alone. You have to trust your wing mates to have your back, and have their back, too. If you can't trust anyone then you'll be a bad rider and probably will get killed during Threadfall or at least really hurt. If you are enemies with your Candidate classmates then you'll probably end up fighting when you're adults, too.

Third, doing dumb things is bad for you and for Western Weyr and sometimes even the people around you. I heard about Hatchings where someone would do something stupid and a dragon would attack them or someone near by. If you do stupid things then people from other Weyrs will think you are dumb and a bad person even if you're not. So follow the rules and don't do dumb things and it'll be okay.

Thinking good thoughts around baby dragons, working as a team, and not doing dumb things are the three biggest things about being a Candidate. Thank you for reading.

Satisfied, he sat back in his chair with a little grin on his face, confident that his essay was pretty good.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 am
Astriana stood there with the rest of the candidates, seeing the look in A'ral's eyes as he looked at all of them. She had a feeling they were in for it, after some of the things that had just happened at the latest hatching. It had been better than their own hatching, but still wasn't perfect. However, she felt like she had done what she was supposed to, not feeling like she should be punished for the actions of others. She heard the Candidatemaster begin and sure enough, it was because of what happened at their hatchings. She was listening, despite not thinking it referred to her.

When he spoke about blaming himself, she mentally snorted, not seeing how he should see it as his fault. He had told them all how they were to behave, they were the ones who acted like he hadn't. In fact, she felt like A'ral had gone over rule one with them on multiple occasions, including before each hatching. Anyone who couldn't follow it should be the ones being lectured, not the whole class. Her eyes stayed on him as he went on to say how he had spoken about them to those of High Reaches, he really was usually very proud of them. It was clear as he spoke, that he wasn't right now, not after the last two hatchings. Then he began ticking off everything that had happened during the hatching. She mentally argued, saying that she had been quite composed during the hatching and had not put the babies in any danger.

The more A'ral spoke, the more she wanted to say that she was just as good as anyone in High Reaches. She wanted to tell him that she hadn't let him down, she had done well on the Sands. Then he spoke about people that they didn't like and she had to swallow hard at that. She hadn't thought about how some of those around her would be fellow wingmates, if they impressed. Now that she thought of it, she hadn't been thinking of how they should act like a team at all. For all her mental argument that she had been flawless on the sands..now she was starting to doubt that. After all, she had been thinking D'mar had gotten what he deserved by getting mauled. Maybe she deserved this lecture more than she had initially realized after all. She hated the feeling of guilt that descended on her, it was a feeling she usually railed against. It made her think of when her parents died, the feeling of what could she had done differently.

As they got their assignment, she thought about what she was going to write. She didn't want to disappoint their teacher again, she had a lot of respect for Master A'ral. He knew what he was doing, even if he might doubt it right now, and was always there for them. She realized she would have to swallow her pride once she was done her essay and go apologize to him. It gnawed at her that he was feeling so bad and it wasn't a feeling she liked to admit to. Taking a deep breath, she started on her assignment, in talking about rule one.

It is important to think positive thoughts when on the hatching sands because the dragnets are very impressionable. They are very attuned to everything that is happening around them, good and bad. If we are thinking of bad thoughts, then they will pick up on it and it will affect them. They are too young to understand what is going on, so they will lash out. Until they impress and their soulmate can help them discern all these emotions, they are like a firelizard without training. They will act on instinct, which might include attacking those around them, dragon and human alike.

They can not be blamed for their actions, they are babies who do not know anything about the world around them. Anything they know is based on what they get from our minds. Yes, they have personalities of their own, but we can make things better or worse based on our thoughts. If we are thinking bad thoughts, they might think the world is bad and may try to punish those they think are not 'worthy.' If we are being mean to others in our thoughts, then a dragon could hurt others thinking that they should be that way too. We always have to be conscious of our thoughts, even if we think we are doing everything right. Chances are, we probably we are doing something wrong, whether we realize it or not.

The maulings mentioned are not even the worst of it, as we saw during the last hatching our Weyr hosted. The negative thoughts of others probably is what lead to the death of a candidate, since the baby could have acted on the hate of others in attacking the boys. Then we could have lost the baby as well, with others hating her and trying to hurt her for her actions. We would have lost a strong green and her rider would have been without her dragon. Even I myself might have been thinking it was not something I wanted to witness seeing her rip into people. I know it wasn't her fault, but even I could not keep my thoughts completely clean.

I would hate if my thoughts might make a dragnet between or lead to the death of a fellow candidate. I know how important they are to the safety of Pern and that I need to watch my own thoughts too. I thought I was blameless, but I guess we all have something to learn about following rule 1. The rule is so important because lives are on the line, dragon and candidates alike. Dragnets are just babies, they have to be surrounded by good thoughts that help them know they are safe. We cannot endanger them because of our own thoughts, actions, or feelings. They depend on us and I want to be worthy of my future soulmate, they deserve it.

So I will do everything in my power to watch my thoughts and only think good and positive thoughts while on the sands. This will be whether it is during a touching, when they are getting their first impressions of the outside world, or a hatching. It will also mean that I will follow this rule on our own sands or if we are on a foreign beach. This rule is to keep myself, my fellow candidates, and the dragnets safe while touching eggs or as the baby dragons hatch. I am not blameless, so I will strive to do better in following the rules. Baby dragons must see us as examples of what to do and I will be a good role model.

After she finished, she raised her hand, to get her teacher's attention.

"Master A'ral?"she asked. There was no emotion on her face, but her eyes held the apology in them.

Mx Cherie

Dea and #Teddy#

Shy Regular

magnadearel

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 am
Omurntas settled back in his chair and brooded thoughtfully. The young journeyman had settled into the back of the room, somewhat by himself. He often felt out of place among all these young teen kids. Ask him the best way of growing a citrus plant and he could nail it. Dragons? That was a seedling he wasn't familiar with. He was still learning the rules and what not. Most of the lessons long-time candidates knew by heart, he hadn't heard more than once.

He did grimace at being told their assignment was an essay. He'd never much liked them as an apprentice back home. Now didn't seem like it'd be much different. With a sigh he pulled a hide toward him and considered the subject. Think positive thoughts around dragonets?

They said much the same thing about firelizards. Omurn mulled back on the day he'd accidentally impressed two blue firelizards. Had he been thinking happy thoughts then? No, because he'd been cleaning the beach if he recalled right. So then. What had brought the two to him? How did they relate to dragons?

After some few minutes of thinking and digging threw his new knowledge, Omurn started to write. He didn't have much understanding, but he tried his best.

Quote:
A baby needs to know it's loved. Thus the rule to think positive thoughts toward newly hatched dragons. They do better with proper nurturing like plants. A well tended and maintained plant grows better than a non-maintained one. The dragons need to see you care and will make a good partner for them.

It wasn't anywhere near the required four paragraphs, but he wasn't sure what else to add. Hopefully A'ral would understand his reference to plants, which were what he really knew best.  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:07 pm
Seated near the back, arms crossed over his chest, Huarwar had the demeanor of someone who really didn't want to be seated here, or wondering if he even should be there. He had been having conflicting thoughts ever since Vimiath's most recent brood had hatched and taken the life of his twin. Emerald eyes moved to look out of the corner to where Henwas had normally sat. The chair wasn't empty, another body had soon filled it, an eager soul waiting for their first Touching, their first Hatching, hoping to find their bonded.

Funnily enough, Huarwar remembered when he had been that way. Although he had been weyrborn, grown up around his parents dragons, they still fascinated him. Now? Well, he was wondering if he should still be here, wondering if he had any right to be here after what had happened at the Hatching...

Henwas dying...it had rattled him. The normally quiet and invisible Huarwar had suddenly yelled at a dragonet to between itself. Funny, he thought of it now and hated that he had said that, knew he would have felt horrible about a hatchling betweening themselves because of him and yet...at that moment..he didn't care. He wanted a death for a death.

A'ral's voice came to him in slow waves as he was half listening. He could tell the man was disappointed and it bothered him, but you couldn't expect children, because that was what they were, to act the way you wanted just from telling them what to expect. It was hard to police your own thoughts, A'ral must have understood that, especially when many of them had never been on the sands before.

Once the assignment was given, Huarwar sat up a bit straighter in his chair, staring down at the hide in front of him.

Positive thoughts are a must when dealing with the recently hatched dragonets, as well as when they are still in their eggs. Because of the bond that is formed between their chosen rider they are very perceptive to the thoughts and feelings of others.

They are just babies.....
Huarwar paused, the ink dripping for a moment before he seemed to get his thoughts about him again.

They are just babies and...do not know how to handle everything that is going on around them. Being flooded with positive thoughts or emotions makes it easier for them to..find their bonded. Negative thoughts can...scare them or make their own thoughts clouded, making it hard for them to find their intended.

During the Touching, they are just then being introduced to anyone aside from their clutchmates, parents and their parents bonded. It can be very overwhelming and its better to keep your thoughts positive so there is no chance of getting offended by a baby....

In the end, protecting the dragonets is what is the most important.
His hand writing gets a little shaky here. Making sure their well being is in the perfect place to find theirs and does not put their life in danger. They are the saviors of Pern...not us....

Once finished, Huarwar paused for a moment, a brown flit popping into sight and curling around the man's shoulders. He didn't need to look to reach a hand up, feeling the rush of happiness that was being sent to him from the flit, the images of the beach, anything to help calm him down.

Pushing himself to a standing position, Huarwar moved over to A'ral, rolling the hide up to hand in before he stood there, a little awkward, he had been one of the ones to almost cause a dragon to between after all...

"A'ral...do I have a right to even...try this anymore? I didn't...behave as I should have...at Vimiath's last Hatching...." The brown twittered, seeming to not like what Huarwar was thinking and the young man shushed him. "Henwas...stop."

Mx Cherie

BastetAmun

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100

Sinders Path

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:13 am
Roana sat middle of the class, not right up front but not in the back either. She wasn't hiding away but nor did she believe she deserved to be front and center for this lecture.
All the words filled with quiet judgment and disappointment made her cast her mind back. No, she had not handled herself the best at the touching. She had touched one of the eggs, a huge no no, but not something she could help when the damn thing rolled stright at her, it had been instinct not intent, but controlling those instincts, controlling her own thoughts, that was the rub.

She had not been born in the weyr. In fact when she had been searched she still had a great fear of dragons, an unwarranted aversion to being so close to something that she saw as a giant set of teeth and fire. But the idea of controlling such a beast as a rider had also had an appeal, as well as escaping when had been her life. She knew better now, thanks to a certain blue and a gold shimmer of firelizard nestled atop her red curls. She understood some of the deep bond and partnership. The intelligence and wit of dragonkind. But that didn't mean her old prejudices couldn't rear their ugly heads again when she witnessed things like the death of a candidate on the sands.

She looked down at the blank hide and sighed, tapping her quill softly against it It didn't help that reading and writing had never been her strong suit. Still after some hesitation she dipped her quill into the ink and began.

Quote:
The purpose of a hold is to hold people, give them a community and a place to work together. But the primary purpose of a weyr is to raise dragons to go on and fight thread. Stating the obvious I know, but it is also easy to forget when embedded in day to day life of chores and being around your fellow candidates and people. So easy to get wrapped up in your own individual needs and wants.

But we must not forget because a candidate is the first contact with a person for a baby dragon out of the egg (and in the egg during touching) where the process of raising them and completing the weyr's purpose starts. If we scare those babies between. kill them. We have not only failed those hatchlings and ourselves but also the weyr and by extension pern.
To avoid this it is vital that candidates invite baby dragons into the world with nothing but love and welcoming.

Try and not let any unnecessary distractions and negatives cloud us which could confuse a dragon and send them between before they have a chance to connect. It is also important to remember the moment a dragon goes between is also depriving someone standing of their chance to be with their perfect partner. Even if we never impress it crucial candidates create the warmth and welcome to bring each new dragon into the world in the right way.

[IC RP] Western Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff