Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KasaiLoki

Moonlight Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:47 pm
Quote:
At last, the Sky Festival had ended and the lions of the Ela'Wadiyi were parting ways and falling back into the lines that defined their clans. It was always a bittersweet time when they had to say goodbye to those they saw so infrequently, when families that crossed their groups were once again pulled apart, but it was in their nature. As surely as anyone, Makonde had felt the itch in her paws at sitting still too long. After her mother had been kidnapped from beneath their noses it had felt dangerous to be where anyone could find them and a large group like the festival, while it gave some protection in numbers, made them all too easy to track.

No, today was a good day, they were setting out once again.

She had risen early with her many pouches tied back around her neck - all the herbs she had been working were gathered up and as she wound her way through the lions of the Wolf clan that had assembled, she left behind an earthy, fragant mix of petals and roots in her wake. They had some way yet to go before they would find a new, temporary encampment that would allow her to set to work and a long track of land to walk with new potential things to find. In years past it had been a task she had committed to alone but this year she had another enthusiast to join her. They could get twice as many!

"Arik?" she called out, pushing through a loose group of lions as she saw the flash of his pelt ahead of her. "Are you ready to go yet?"

Quote:
It had seemed like only yesterday Aric was initiated into the Ela'wadiyi lands, and already the Festival was over. He had met a few lions (mainly the recently joined) who were a part of other clans, that he had wished safe travels back to their new home. They'd see each other again hopefully next festival. The charcoal male was excited for that to happen, as it meant he would truly be a full fledged member of the pride, welcoming newbies as they had done to him.

His bright eyes lit up seeing Makonde approach, the slight scent of herbs erupting from the pouch.

"I think...I am as ready as I will ever be!" the former healer stated, his own herb filled pouched around his neck. He had gathered some roots from the festival grounds that he had not seen before, noting he would test them out when they arrived back in Wolf territory.

"How far is the journey?" he quested the tattooed female, shifting the pouch in front of him.

Quote:
The enthusiasm made her glad, she had to admit, and as she finally came to stop before him she dipped her head and let a spare pouch slide from around her slick head. It tumbled to the ground and she looped a paw through it before holding it up to him.

"Here, take this one. There are some wonderful sprigs between here and wolf territory and this small lake that grows peculiar roots, I know I won't be able to gather it all by myself without holding up the pack and -"

She paused, blinked, then remembered that he had asked her a question. With a slightly shy laugh, she shook her head.

"I'm sorry, I'm rambling aren't I? I'm just so caught up in this whole process. It should be a couple of days, at least, depending on the weather we encounter. We are usually very good about staying on schedule but there are so many new faces this year, it might take us longer to guide them since they don't know the lands as well. The journey is sometimes hard for newcomers given the altitude."

Quote:
Aric had taken one of the spare pouch she offered, listening as she began to describe the lake with the root system. He was mesmerized by the words, a true sign of his love for the subject. He blinked, shaking his head as she paused.

"Were you? I uh---I hadn't noticed." In truth, he hadn't. He was fixated on the words she spoke that she probably could keep talking and he would not interrupt. Having two lions with the passion for the subject could be quite dangerous for times- sake, as he could see them getting caught in a conversation without even noticing what was going on around them.

"That's understandable." Aric hadn't thought about the altitude. The Kusini'mwezi lands were relatively flat. The Ela territory was mountains. "Is...altitude sickness common?" He wondered if any of the herbs in his pouch would help with that. Whether it be for himself, or someone else.

Quote:
Makonde waited long enough for him to slip the pouch around his head, noting that he didn't even make a single complaint against her bossy nature, before she nudged his shoulder as a queue and began walking toward the head of the group. As a part of the ruling family she always felt obligated to help lead the way - that and it gave her a good view of the open land without dozens and dozens of paws trampling through it first. She had lost a lot of good herbs that way!

She had to admit, too, that it was nice to find someone so passionate about her life's work as she was. Often her family grew weary of listening to her chatter about what she had found or the new methods she had been exploring to preserve her most potent and useful herbs. Part of her had always hoped for another soul that could keep up with it all and she thought, perhaps, she had finally found someone willing to keep her company. It was an exciting prospect, truly, and she was having a hard time not getting ahead of herself.

"Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I find that it's usually a combination of where the individual grew up and their family history. For instance, I once knew a family that lived by the ocean far, far away from here and they did not like the mountains at all for the most part! Yet the mother of the group really had no problems at all. It was most peculiar!" There was an odd smile on her face as she recounted the days gone past though it was most assuredly from her logical observations and not from the enjoyment of watching an entire family get sick.

"Perhaps if we pay attention to our companions' behaviors as we ascend we could reason out who is most affected?" She paused now, close to the front of the group, and looked down at her pouch thoughtfully. "I've only a bit of root for nausea, I'm not certain I've got a thing that would truly help with the altitude."

Quote:
"Interesting." Aric commented, frowning. "Well. I hope myself isn't plagued with such feeling on our ascent." He flashed a sheepish smile. "I have a little bit of a ginger root here, but I would rather see about germinating it to grow, rather than use it on myself." Aric would just deal with the nausea if it came to it for him. He would give up his plant though if another clan member needed it. Who knew, there could be wild ginger that grew around here, which could help replenish his stock.

The charcoal lion followed Makonde to the head of the group. While he was related to royalty in his own pride, he always felt himself a middle man so to speak. If he hadn't met Makonde, he probably would have mingled within the middle of the pack, finding small talk or just observing the lands as they walked.

"That sounds like a good idea. However, I don't think we can observe much from this position, don't you think?" The lion offered. He glanced back to the other Wolf clan members. "Perhaps I can follow up from the rear, to see if anyone is displaying any kind of symptoms."

"Speaking of...I've never personally seen of experienced altitude sickness. I assume just a look of nauseousness we would be looking for?"

Felyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:00 pm
"Oh, hm."

Makonde paused as she turned to look back at the lions that trailed behind them, left behind by their own wandering enthusiasm. Or, at least, her's.

"I honestly hadn't thought about that at all, I suppose you are right." Perhaps it was a lucky thing that he had come to them, after all. She had knowledge aplenty and curiosity to fill a valley but her ability to plan ahead was sometimes a little lacking, especially in the wake of her excitement. "If you follow up behind them you can keep a close eye on them - they might be nauseated or dizzy, it presents differently but it's not terribly hard to tell who is suffering."

She turned to look away from the group, keen to stop in all the little spots she had passed before on this very same journey.

"Try not to use all of the ginger," she piped, suddenly, as if the thought had just hit her through her contemplation. "I want to compare to what we have when we get settled. Maybe we have a different variant!"

KasaiLoki

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

KasaiLoki

Moonlight Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 am
Felyn

Aric glanced into his bag, shimmying himself to shake up the contents to see the exact stock he had.

He glanced towards her with a nod. "Does the group normally stop in the evening or throughout the day for breaks. You stay up here, I go back there, and then we can reconvene with any findings." Although, he was sure the older members would be use altitude, he wasn't sure how many new lions had joined the clan the same time he had. Would there before anyone to keep an particular eye out?

"I won't." He said suddenly. "It looks like I have enough to 'safely' say two adults can have it. The rest we can try to grow, and see just how the stock compares." Aric advised. Perhaps one form of ginger was more of a long term solution than the other?

They'd find out one day.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm
"That sounds like a great plan," she murmured, looking away from him and back towards the group of lions that were meandering their way. She would have liked, very much, to point out all of the little places that were just perfect for gathering but she understood, too, that they had a greater purpose than simply finding their herbs. What good were they if they did not also keep them to supply their ailing pride members?

"We stop whenever it seems like we are in a good place; it is more about the area than it is about the time. There are a few places that are always on our list to pause at. We can reconvene when we pause - a couple of them have very good herbs that we should gather and I'd love to show you."

Makonde's smile was pleasant even though her eyes had not reconnected with his yet; she was busy counting the amount of lions that were tailing their group now, trying to decide if they would have enough ginger left over. Her own supply was larger, having known that they were likely going to need it on their way home and she thought, given how many their were, that they would be just fine.

"I think we will manage it without too much fuss - altitude sickness only affects a very small number. So get going," she glanced back at him with a laugh, shooing him with a paw, "and let me know if you see anything good!"

KasaiLoki

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

KasaiLoki

Moonlight Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:44 pm
Felyn
fin

Aric flashed the female a smile as he nodded. "That sounds like a plan. Maybe in these spots I can plant some that won't be of use for us, that way they can grow when we aren't present, and be readily available for the next time we cross this path." He stated with a nod.

"Alright alright!" Aric chuckled as he was shooed. "If I need help I will send word your way! I will see you when we stop then!" And then he was off. The charcoal male walked against the current of lions, taking his place amongst the rear as he watched the traveling group, secretly hoping he wouldn't be one to experience this altitude sickness.  
[IC] Ela'wadiyi Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games