User Image
Enzi
Indlovukati | Provider

Enzi traveled days until he got to the icy lands of the Schnee la Neige’milima. He didn’t know exactly where that was. All he knew was there was a lot of snow and ice, but even though he knew it was there, he didn’t even notice the beauty of the lands he was now walking through. He felt as cold as the icy wind around him. All because of a beautiful lioness that stood him up. He didn’t know if he could ever trust another lioness again. How could he? No female would take him back home and he didn’t have a mate to bring home. He was completely useless.

‘Siri was right…’ he thought as he stared at the ground as he walked.

He had traveled days with no food and very little water. He just didn’t care anymore. He was a shattered husk of who he once was. He was tired and he began to feel weak days before arriving in the icy wonderland around him. For the first time in a very long time, Enzi stopped walking and looked up into the snow-capped trees. The sun made the snow look like there were diamonds hidden in the snow. It was the last thing Enzi saw before he collapsed onto the snow.

Enzi didn’t know how long he had been laying there, but from the looks of the pile of snow on his body, it had been a while. He didn’t know how he awoke from being so cold. He lifted his head and winced in pain. His body was cold, almost frozen. His coat was for much warmer weather, but he needed to get up. He needed to start circling his blood, otherwise, he was going to freeze in the winter wonderland.

Or maybe he was already frozen. Maybe he was trapped in a dead body, but if he was dead, he wouldn’t feel the pain he was feeling right now.

“Over here!”

Enzi opened his eyes and saw a little green rabbit in the snow. She was… digging him out? He didn’t understand. Why was this rabbit helping him from the know?

“Kam, he’s still alive.”

“I see that. He’s not from around here.”

Enzi looked at the owner of the other voice. It was a lion, the same shade of mint green that was the rabbit. Why wasn’t he eating the rabbit? Why was the rabbit not afraid of him? What kind of messed up world did he wander into?

“We should help him,” the little rabbit said as she hopped onto Enzi’s side to get the rest of the snow off him. “He’s still alive. Urza wouldn’t be happy if he knew that we found a lion in need. We could take him to Keelia’s, get him warmed up and you can bring him some food from the feast happening on the pride lands.”

“Why do I have to bring him food?” the lion the hare called Kam snapped.

“Because I’m too small and he doesn’t know the rules about killing hares here.”

The other lion rolled his eyes and he too began to dig the snow around Enzi’s body. Enzi was very much confused about the conversation he had just heard. Was it against the laws here to kill hares? He was so hungry, he would probably attack anything. He tried to move again, causing the hare to hop off him and onto the back of the other lion. Again a sharp pain raked through his pain and he cried out.

“You shouldn’t move,” Kam said as he got closer. “Your muscles are too cold. Let us help you.”

“Why…” Enzi croaked. “Why do you…. Want to help… me?”

“I don’t,” Kam said, finishing his job. “However, my little friend is very much a worry wart. If I left you out here to freeze, I won’t ever hear the end of it. I’m Kamili and this is Shona. Welcome to Schnee la Neige’milima.”

The last thing Enzi saw before passing out again was Kam over his body, digging him from the snow.

Sometime later, much later then Enzi would have liked, he awoke again in a den. He was on a bed of soft furs that he had never seen before, and something was over his body. When he moved, his body didn’t ache like it did earlier. He sat up slowly, watching as a large pelt slid down from his body. He didn’t know where he was, but he knew he was still in that icy land that almost took his life.

“Oh good, you’re finally awake.”

Enzi looked up towards the entrance of the cave. He could make the outline of a lioness. Was he in her den? Was this the lioness that the hare spoke of?

“Where am I?” Enzi asked.

“This is my home,” she answered. “I’m Keelia. I was starting to worry you wouldn’t wake up. You’ve been passed out for a few days.” He watched her as she dragged an animal into the den. It looked like an antelope, but much bigger. “I thought you might be hungry. The hunters here got a good kill on their trip. Go ahead, eat. Get some of your strength back.” Enzi could feel his mouth begin to water at the sight of food. “There’s some water over there. It’s really cold though, so be careful. Once you’re done, I can show you around.”

“Show me around?” Enzi asked. “You kicking me out so soon?”

“You can stay until you regain your strength,” Keelia said, sitting next to the entrance. “I can help you find a den when you’re feeling better. Or take you to the boundary line and you can be on your way.”

Enzi nodded as he began to eat. He hadn’t eaten for days. The meat tasted weird to him, but it wasn’t unpleasant. It was actually quite good and refreshing. He didn’t know there was meat that tasted like that. After he was done, he walked over to where the water was. Keelia was right about it being cold. He carefully took a few sips. Once he was done, he walked out of the den with Keelia and into the lands of the snow lions.

Word Count: 1038
Total Words: