Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply The United Kingdom
The United Kingdom Library of Wizarding History & Literature Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:05 pm

User Imageʚĭɞ🏛
FIANA ARLIN BYRNES

41 years || Cultural Heritage (MA, MPhil) alumna || muggle
Shop Assistant at Synister Studios

Fiana listened with fascination as the man explained how his job involved translating old books. She dared not touch the old texts—-years of museum protocol meant she never touched artifacts without gloves and a mask— but she traced her hand on the table surface. With a clearer view, it seemed..not completely alien. Not an entirely alien magical language then. A small light flickered at the back of her head, reaching back to her museum days. Had she seen this before? It wasn’t the Celtiberian alphabet, but there were symbols that were similar. Iberian? ”What is this text about?” she asked curiously.

The translator mentioned knowing a few dead languages, chuckling, and Fiana perked up in interest. She looked up. ”Oh? What languages? I studied Latin for a while back in grad school but was rubbish at it, I was much better with Celtiberian, but it’s been a few years.” Ugh. Regret trickled through her. But she simply didn’t have the time now to go back to her Latin and Sanskrit studies. Keeping in practice with her Gaelic tongue was hard enough between work and housework and studying for the WOMBATs.

setting Wizarding Library, Summer 2055 || with A translator
appearance 5’5” well built || wearing Comfy button top and jeans
status Study mode-- language curiosities.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
There's a grace in the depths of self-destruction
I had to face before I held you in my arms
All the demons I have taken just to shelter you from harm
I'd do it all again for you my pearl

🏛ʚĭɞ
"Pearl" by SOBI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:33 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔞𝔪 𝓘? Wizarding & History Library
xxx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔬'𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔪𝔢? Runes, Notes, and... a Stranger?
xxxx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱'𝔰 𝔤𝔬𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔬𝔫? Work Distractions
xxxxx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔞𝔱 𝔞𝔯𝔢 𝔪𝑦 𝔱𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔰? This is a refreshing change

Zavier watched the woman as she looked at the text, seemingly trying to identify it. She was very careful around the book, like he'd been before he perfected his preservation charm. "Don't worry about touching it, you won't hurt it. I've got a charm on it." She asked what the text was about, and he glanced at his notes. "Well, from what it seems so far, it's some kind of old guidebook to various fungi. Sometimes it mentions edibility, so it may also be some kind of cook book? I'm not terribly far in, though. It takes a while with some of these languages."

She asked about the languages he knew, then mentioned having tried to learn Latin, but knowing Celtiberian. Interesting. "I'm well versed in Latin, Sanskrit, Coptic, Biblical Hebrew - though some argue it's an expired language, not technically dead... Gothic Germanic, and a bit of Cumbric. Also I'm pretty handy, heh, with Old Kentish Sign Language. Though, don't ask me to speak any of 'em. Only know their written form." He chuckled softly, then set out another book in another old language, a different style of runes on the pages. "Zavier, by the way. Zavier Moore. Nice to meet you." He offered a small smile, grateful for an actual conversation.

addaellis

Fᴀʀ ᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪsᴛʏ ᴍᴏᴜɴᴛᴀɪɴs ᴄᴏʟᴅ, ᴛᴏ ᴅᴜɴɢᴇᴏɴs ᴅᴇᴇᴘ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴀᴠᴇʀɴs ᴏʟᴅ
      Wᴇ ᴍᴜsᴛ ᴀᴡᴀʏ ᴇʀᴇ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀʏ ᴛᴏ ꜰɪɴᴅ ᴏᴜʀ ʟᴏɴɢ-ꜰᴏʀɢᴏᴛᴛᴇɴ ɢᴏʟᴅ
      Tʜᴇ ᴘɪɴᴇs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʀᴏᴀʀɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇɪɢʜᴛ; ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴅs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴍᴏᴀɴɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛ
      Tʜᴇ ꜰɪʀᴇ ᴡᴀs ʀᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ ꜰʟᴀᴍɪɴɢ sᴘʀᴇᴀᴅ; ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇs ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏʀᴄʜᴇs ʙʟᴀᴢᴇᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʟɪɢʜᴛ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:18 pm

User Imageʚĭɞ🏛
FIANA ARLIN BYRNES

The translator mentioned that she needn’t worry about touching it as he had a charm on it. ”A charm? That protects against skin oils and things?” she hesitated still, but got a bit of hand sanitizer from her bag and cleaned her hands before delicately tracing her fingers over the text. The only spell she could think of was one that could suck liquids off a surface, or clean surfaces (Goodness she wished she could do magic! Fiana had grumbled “Scrougify” in vain at the dishes and laundry more than a few times in the last few months.)

Fiana had asked about language as a matter of curiosity, but even she hadn’t expected the translator to reply with a whole list– Latin, Sanskrit, Coptic, Biblical Hebrew, Gothic Germanic, Cumbric, Old Kentish Sign Language! She pulled out the chair across from Zavier as he listed, counting the languages he mentioned on her fingers. adding one for English. ”Nine–ten languages, whew!” And she had done decently with just her Gaelic studies and frustrating Latin and Sanskrit. ”Sanskrit calligraphy is beautiful,” she remarked. ”The museum—-sorry, the National Museum in Ireland—-has the Paramesvaratantra palm leaf manuscript on display now on special loan from Cambridge. It’s a small exhibit, part of their Cultures and Faiths series. Not small enough for my kids though, haha!”

Fiana laughed, thinking fondly about their visit last weekend. She knew Skyla had been bored, but at least she had been a good sport about it for Fiana’s sake. Fiana…had talked with the docent for over half an hour in front of that display alone, asking about everything from how they got the loan to the context of the piece, the full translated text, what they knew about the ink and paper and like.

Oh, how she missed the museum life!

Fiana smiled shyly, embarrassed she was nerding out with someone whose name she didn’t even know. ”Fiana Byrnes. Happy to meet you, Zavier.”

setting Wizarding Library, Summer 2055 || with Zavier Moore

🏛ʚĭɞ
"Pearl" by SOBI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔬'𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔪𝔢? Runes, Notes, and... Fiana Byrnes?

Zavier nodded when the woman asked about the charms over the book. "Indeed, I spent quite a while figuring out the spell, but once you realize pretty much all spells are based in Latin, well, it becomes a bit easier. I was able to tweak it until it worked right. I'm too old to hunch over glass cases to do my translations." He laughed, a near silent huff of air escaping. He was ever grateful for the spell, since it meant he could work from home... or the library, rather than the too-bright office he'd been in.

After listing all his language skills, the woman seemed quite delighted by the amount. "Sanskrit is indeed nice to look at. Although, any calligraphy is nice. I've never figured it out." He glanced at his own, very square writing, the letters looking quite plain. "My Sanskrit lettering is certainly nothing fancy. If.. uh, if you'd like, I might be able to teach you a bit sometime." Why... why had he said that? He didn't know this woman, she was just vaguely interested in his work.

She then spoke about the National Museum of Ireland having the Paramesvaratantra palm leaf manuscript on display, which piqued his interest. "Fascinating. I haven't been to a museum since Gus - my son - was fairly young. Probably around ten... Still can't believe my little man's all grown up." He sighed softly, remembering museum days with Gus when he was little enough to be toted around easily. After he shared his name, she did the same, introducing herself as Fiana Byrnes. "And a pleasure to meet you, Fiana."

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm

User Imageʚĭɞ🏛
FIANA ARLIN BYRNES

Fiana nodded along as Zavier explained the spell. ”Most of the spells are derived from Latin, aren’t they? It made me wonder why there wasn’t a Latin class at Hogwarts to help students learn the base language. If they don’t have a language class like English Literature, then at least a Latin and classics class sounds useful?”

The kind translator agreed that any kind of calligraphy was beautiful before mentioning that he could teach her Sanskrit ”Oh! Could you really? I’d love to try again,” she asked, startled by his generous offer. ”Do you run a class or something?” For a moment Fiana was back in grad school, studying scripts and doing translation homework until all hours of the evening. Maybe…maybe she could eek out an hour or two a week, review her old texts—-she was sure they were somewhere in her bookcase.

Their conversation turned to their kids, and Zavier remarked that he hadn’t been to a museum since his son was around ten. Fiana nodded in understanding—-she might have spent half her life working in museums, but there were plenty of other diversions these days. Museum collections were being digitized–which was great for sharing information—-but Fiana thought there was still something magical about seeing things in person. ”How old is your son? You said his name is Gus?”

🏛ʚĭɞ
"Pearl" by SOBI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxx⤑ 𝔚𝔥𝔬'𝔰 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔪𝔢? Runes, Notes, and... Fiana Byrnes?

Zavier nodded along when the woman noted that most spells were based in Latin. She even asked about a Latin class, and he grinned brightly. "Yes! I tried to petition for a Latin class to be added, but none of my classmates wanted to join in. I tried again when Gus joined school, but he didn't want to make waves." He laughed, remembering asking Gus shortly before he left to his first year.

After mentioning teaching a bit of Sanskrit, she seemed quite excited, asking if he ran a class. "Oh, no, nothing like that. I just don't have anyone to work alongside anymore, and I quite like teaching." He nodded, flipping to an empty page in his notebook. He started scribbling down his owl address for her, alongside his name and cell number, in case she had access to muggle tech.

After mentioning Gus again, Fiana asked how old he was, earning a soft sigh from the man. "Augustus, but I call him Gus. My little guy is all grown up. He just turned 21 a bit ago. Owns his own business, if you're ever in Hogsmeade." He offered a grin, then handed over the paper with his information. "Seriously, I'd love to go over languages with you, any time. Even if we just meet up here. It'd be nice to have someone to talk with." Was that weird? Especially in the middle of conversation.... Hopefully she wouldn't think he was telling her to bugger off....

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm

User Imageʚĭɞ🏛
FIANA ARLIN BYRNES

Zavier replied that he had petitioned for a Latin class to be added, but none of his schoolmates were interested. ”Pity. Appreciation of the classics is already so niche,” Fiana lamented. Her gaze seemed far away for a moment. Why didn’t Hogwarts have a classics course? Maybe as an elective? She would have to ask Governor Edgeworth about it.

In regards to Sanskirt studies, Zavier remarked that he simply liked teaching, to which she nodded in understanding. Fiana would rather study, but there was a certain joy to seeing her kids’ eyes light up when she explained something that just connected with them. Zavier explained that his own son, Augustus, was already 21, and owned his own business in Hogsmeade. ”How dear! Time does fly, doesn't it? Torrin and Skyla are only 12, but I swear they were but five a few days ago! I haven't been around Hogsmeade nearly enough, unfortunately. What does Gus do?"

He tore out a paper with his contact information and Fiana held the paper, surprised he hadn’t simply been polite. ”Oh!” she folded the page and tore it neatly, jotting her own contact information down in neat little letters: name, address-- for the owl,she realized-- and phone number—-he had a phone number! ”Do you text? I…don’t know when I’d find the time, but I’ve wanted to get back to my studies for a while and it would be nice to have someone to consult while I’m getting back up to speed.”

status A new friend?

🏛ʚĭɞ
"Pearl" by SOBI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:12 pm

User Image
                                              User Image

User Image
                                            • Rey huddled close to the shelves, ostensibly to read the spines better but really she was hiding away from Gem. Rey never grew out of visiting the library and with Gem being a librarian, she could also catch with her sister and get the latest gossip and recommendations and just have a good time. Usually. Gem was well-meaning but there were only so many subtle hints family get-togethers that Rey could take. Between work and moving homes, it'd been a while since she saw her sister in person and Gem had damn good guilt-tripping puppy dog eyes and it was unfair; Rey managed to spit out a promise to meet up before fleeing.

None of the books on the in front of her seemed remotely interesting. Wizards Are from Neptune, Witches Are from Saturn? What a load of crock. That's what she got for ducking into the first aisle she got to: useless books written by authors who couldn't see past their own pricks.

Peering around the shelf, Rey checked that the coast was clear and quickly navigated her way towards familiar and much more interesting sections of the library. The number of unread books she had left at home amounted to zero and she came here to to get more. She paused at one of the transfiguration sections; they finally had a copy of Transformation Through the Ages on the shelves again after having it on loan for a while, and she did want to finish the book. Making up her mind, Rey grabbed it before continuing on towards the fiction sections.

• WHEN Summer 2057 tab tab tab WHERE UK Wizarding Library tab tab tab WITH no one

OOC dressed casually

kiska166a

oyehh

Feral Fairy

24,500 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Candy Fiend 150

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:10 pm
User Image

╔═══════════════════════════════════════╗
                                                Oliver Davis
                                                Slytherin Alumnus - Thirty Five Years Old - Pureblood
                                                Department of Intoxicating Substances in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement

╚═══════════════════════════════════════╝

Oliver perused the shelves, looking for at least one of the books on his list. He loved reading, but never read many fiction books. His niece, on the other hand, enjoyed reading fiction and had recommended several books before demanding that he finish at least one of them before she was sent off to Hogwarts at the end of summer holidays. Once his eyes had landed on a familiar name, A Thousand Steps Into Night, they darted onto the piece of parchment in his hand and confirmed that this was the same one by Traci Chee. The blond reached for it and flipped it to read the back-cover blurb. As he read, another person had literally bumped into him, causing him to nearly drop the book and turn around. To his surprise, it had been a familiar face – one of his closest friends, in fact. “Fancy bumping into you here,” he immediately joked. “Long time, no see. How’re you doing?”

He and Reyna met up every few weeks or so for the most part, and even more often ever since he and Arwen had broken up. Their break up still pulled at his heartstrings when he thought about her too much, especially on lonely liquored-up nights. Every once in a while, he debated reaching out to her before ultimately deciding it was a bad idea. At least those moments were few and far in between now. If it wasn’t for his friends, namely Reyna, he didn’t know how he would have gotten this far. The worst part about going home at the end of the day to an empty house was that Arwen had taken the damn cat, so there was no furry friend to cuddle with him. There was no one. The flat did become less lonely over time, especially given the fact that he invited friends over constantly to distract himself. More recently, however, he and Reyna hadn’t hung out as she had her own s**t going out – mainly getting over a break up of her own and finding a new place to live. She helped Oliver move on, and now it would be his turn to help her.

((OOC: outfit in left picture))

Never meant to break your h e a r t
                                                S o m e t i m e s things just fall apart

oyeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:29 pm

User Image
                                              User Image

User Image
                                            • Rey couldn't help herself and skimmed through the book as she walked, weaving through the shelves with an expertise that came with practise—until she hit an unexpected obstacle and nearly toppled to the floor. Only muscle memory kept her from landing arse first on the floor as she caught herself against the nearby shelf with one hand, the other clutching the book protectively to her chest. Trying to give yourself a concussion, Rey? she remembered her dad teasing her once, a half-faded memory that still hurt even though the years took away some of the sting. She shook her head clear and straightened to apologise to whoever she hit, only to be greeted by the familiar face of her best friend.

"Oliver!" she grinned up at him before hip checking him in faux-outrage at his punny greeting. "It's been a while, yeah," she agreed, her free hand a little self consciously. She had been neglecting friends and family recently, moving cities while working took a lot out of her. She insisted on doing it on her own; she could handle it and didn't want to bother her friends since they were all had their own work and lives, but part of Rey was shamefully and guiltily relieved to have an excuse to not see them. She knew she had no reason to be embarrassed: she didn't regret the years she was with Gavin and the breakup was amicable. But losing the stability they had for so long hurt and it was all she could do to keep her focus on work and make her place habitable, she wasn't sure she could handle others seeing her like that. It was why Gem's pleading eyes that looked too similar to dad's was extra effective today. Seeing Oliver here though, Rey only felt relief; she really missed him, especially since they'd spent more time together in the past few months after his own break up.

"I'm—" fine she nearly said, an automatic polite response to well-meaning questions, but if there was anyone she could be honest with, it was Oliver. "Doing as best as I can," she admitted with a rueful smile. "My flat actually looks like someone lives there now, not like I'm just haunting it," she joked, "but I'm feeding myself and the pets like the place." Circe was on a one-feline mission to leave orange hair on every solid surface and magic was the only thing keeping her clothes hairless. "How've you been, though?"

Spotting a book in his hand, Rey leaned forward to get a better look. "What's that you've got there? Is it any good?" She came to the library to pick up books but she didn't have any specific ones in mind and she ran before Gem could give her recommendations to try.

• WHEN Summer 2057 tab tab tab WHERE UK Wizarding Library tab tab tab WITH Oliver

OOC dressed casually

kiska166a

oyehh

Feral Fairy

24,500 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Candy Fiend 150

kiska166
Crew

Devoted Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:33 pm
User Image

╔═══════════════════════════════════════╗
                                                Oliver Davis
                                                Slytherin Alumnus - Thirty Five Years Old - Pureblood
                                                Department of Intoxicating Substances in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement

╚═══════════════════════════════════════╝

Oliver snickered at Reyna’s amusing reaction to his double entendre before mocking her back in the same tone of voice she used: “Reyna!” The blond straightened up his stance and leaned lightly against the book shelf, fully aware that leaning all of his weight into it may cause a hell of a mess. He was glad feeling like they hadn’t seen each other in a while wasn’t one sided, and waited for her to go on. If her feelings for Gavin were anything like his feelings for Arwen, life must have really sucked, no matter how amicable the break up had been. Part of him wondered if she’d lie to him as he had to far too many of his friends, but once he heard her answer, he knew she had told the truth. “Good,” was all that came out. It was good that she was doing her best, but was ‘good’ an adequate response? It seemed that for the most part, Oliver was sure Reyna was taking care of herself. If she handled life after her break up anything like she handled life after her father’s murder, the worst she did was isolate herself from everyone around her. He figured mostly everyone would understand and give her space, just as he did, without it damaging their friendships. After all, they weren’t teenagers who took everything too personally anymore.

“That’s good to hear. At least it didn’t get gross like mine,” he half-joked. Although if Reyna had seen, or smelled, his flat when it was at its worst, she would have understood just how much of an understatement ‘gross’ had been. Damp or mildewed would have been more precise to describe just how disgusting the apartment had been. Thank the Gods for magic; otherwise, perhaps Rey would have been unlucky enough to have stepped foot into it in the early days of Oliver’s mourning. “I’m glad you’re taking care of yourself and your pets. It probably helps to have someone that relies on you so you don’t lie around in bed all day.” If Moon had been left with him, he was sure he would have gotten out of bed more often if only to feed her and clean her litter box. He wasn’t sure he would have been able to ignore that stench. “I’m doing better,” he admitted. “Still sticking with my workout routine. Oh – I’ve started cooking for myself! No more take out seven nights a week,” he declared proudly. Cooking was a skill that Ollie had lacked and prior to Arwen moving in and cooking many of their meals, he had lived the good ole bachelor life and ordered food for dinner most nights. Unfortunately, he had fallen back into that habit after they broke up, but more recently, had decided it was time he learned to make at least a few staples that he could rotate between.

Oliver lifted the book in his hand for Reyna to see better. A Thousand Steps Into Night by Traci Chee. It’s a Japanese-influenced fantasy book about an innkeeper’s daughter, who gets cursed and starts to turn into a demon. On her quest to reverse the curse and get back to her normal life, she discovers power and freedom and has to decide if she even wants to go back to normal,” Oliver spewed out as much as he could remember from reading the back-cover blurb only a few minutes ago. “Jade says it’s good. We made a deal that I’d read at least one of the books on this list that she made me before the end of summer,” he explained, pulling out the piece of parchment with his niece’s handwriting. “What about yours? Any good?”

((OOC: outfit in left picture))

Never meant to break your h e a r t
                                                S o m e t i m e s things just fall apart

oyeh

The United Kingdom

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces