Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:40 am
User Image

The world had come back into focus and strange things had stopped happening but to the Queen of the Mwezi'Johari, the world had permanently lost some of its simplicity and her optimism was tainted by that. Kimondo had been thinking for a long time about what Kumbha told her and though she had been distracted by so many things since then, it had never really left her mind. Instead, every strange thing that happened brought back the same worry. Were they doomed to repeat their history, however recent? Was she setting them up to rebel against her by not taking any hard stances?

Was it fair for her, a private agnostic, to put the rest of her pride at risk just because she didn't want to rely on the religious structures that had been in place for generations?

So now that the world was peaceful again, it was time to talk about what had happened, what was still happening and what could still be coming their way. Kimondo had an idea in the back of her mind, she wanted to go talk to her grandmother about it, or grandpa Unyezi.. but she couldn't start there. So she was looking for Lailah, hoping she would be able to verbalize her plan properly when she finally took her chance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Things had quieted down...somewhat. The missing lions had been brought back, but Matumaini and Onwa’ohuru were gone again, accompanying the Firekin to their desert land as representatives of the Mwezi’Johari. Given all the bizarre events the Great Lion had seen fit to bestow upon the pride in recent moons, including the seemingly unending night and the rumor that there was a fish-lion-goddess in the watering hole, Lailah was unsurprised to see the Queen seeking her out.

"I didn't make a mistake you know," the Shaman told the younger lioness. "Everything that's happened, everything that will happen, you're the best ruler this pride has had in many years."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 pm
Kimondo was quiet when she found the Shaman but she clearly didn't go unnoticed. She frowned despite the kind words Lailah offered. She wasn't sure she believed them, didn't know quite how much she needed to hear it anyway and desperately did not want to look worried.. but of course she was and she couldn't hide it.

"I don't know," she said honestly, taking a seat rather than forcing formality.. though she wondered if she ought to try harder to be more formal sometimes, too. Another item on the list of potential flaws, things to wonder about the pride needing.

"We could end up with another rebellion," she said dully, "I was afraid to change anything but changing nothing has left us with the same problems. I'm not worried about myself, not really, but I don't want the pride to go through it all again."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 pm
Lailah watched the younger lioness. The Queen clearly had a lot on her mind, but the Shaman was reluctant to bring up any specifics at this moment. The religious aspects of the pride were her responsibility, but most aspects rested in the Queen’s paws.

“I suppose a rebellion is possible, but it seems unlikely. Those who remember know we’re far better off than we were, and I don’t think I’ve seen unrest in the younger generations,” Lailah offered in response.

“It’s good that the Firekin were able to bring back most of our missing children.”  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:19 pm
"Yes," Kimondo paused at the mention of the Firekin, thinking sadly about Matumaini having gone to represent them in the desert. She believed it was a good choice, she hoped it would afford him a broader view of the world and more freedom than others in his situation had.. but it was an opportunity given to him in part because he was her son. The others in the high class might not be watching but the slaves were, and those who cared about them were, too.

She thought about the younger generation, the population had boomed since Shangyue had been overthrown and many of them would not remember what happened, they would just hear about it. That was both good and bad. And there were the recent so-called 'cursed' cubs..

These were the sorts of things she could go over and over in her mind, back and forth, again and again.. her aim now was to stop it, so she had to do something. And that was really why she was here. So she took a deep breath and tried again.

"I don't think it's so unlikely that we shouldn't do anything about it," Kimondo said, "I don't think we finished doing something about the last one. I admit I was afraid of creating more upset, and that I didn't know what to do about it. Allowing any slaves who wanted to leave to go with my blessing seemed both obvious and good, but sending them away doesn't change the imbalance that got us where we were. It's taken me a long time to realize it but I don't think the answer lies in the low class, it's in the high class."

She finally stopped avoiding the shaman's gaze and looked directly at her.

"Right now, the pride might be bigger than it's ever been," she said, "Maybe we should expect more from our high class, maybe we need to if we're going to survive like this."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm
The Shaman considered her monarch’s words. Of all the things Kimondo had actively done on her own, instead of merely restoring things to the way they were before Shangyue, letting any slaves who chose go free was the most controversial.

“You did what you thought was right,” Lailah told Kimondo. At the moment, she didn’t wish to offer an opinion on that situation. Not until the younger lioness actively sought it out.

She was somewhat surprised at Kimondo’s conclusion as to where the difficulty lay. But it was her duty to consider this thoughtfully. And while she could think of a number of lions who took their duties to the pride seriously, serving as Hunters and Guards despite their birth class, there were far more who spent their days in idyll as Lords and Ladies.

“I think you do have a point. A pride can only support so many idle paws, and while slaves work for the benefit of all to earn the protection the Great Lion has denied them, it behooves all other classes to bear some of the load and protect them in turn,” Lailah mused aloud.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm
"The ruler of our pride is traditionally believed to be descended from the Great Lion and our first king, believed to be His favorite," Kimondo said carefully, working through some thoughts she was finally ready to say aloud, "But Haiba is my oldest child and his lineage and birthright mean nothing because he was born in the low class. We know the most important thing is that our leader is a part of the high class."

She tried not to dwell on the mention of her son, it was not relevant except to make a point even if she still thought endlessly about the contrast in how the pride viewed them compared to her.

"There are so many pride members that maintaining a personal relationship with everybody is now impossible for me. If our high class does not want to serve the pride by joining our hunters, guards or priests then they should serve the pride by acting on my behalf when I cannot," she said, "Our lords and ladies should help to govern."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 pm
The Shaman considered this point. From the outside, governance looked easy, especially as compared with the more physical duties performed by Guards, Hunters, and Slaves. However, there was a great deal to do in all respects.

“This is why, instead of a single Apprentice as I was to Stellaluna, I have my three Cleric apprentices. It helps a great deal to split the workload and delegate what I can,” Lailah allowed.

“The question is, how many Lords and Ladies will you choose to assist you? And what will happen to the rest? Since we both know there are too many to effectively govern anything,” the Shaman said dryly.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm
Kimondo visibly relaxed when Lailah seemed to agree with her proposition, at least in theory. That it made any sense at all to someone outside herself was a big deal in getting things started. There were a few arguments against it that she was expecting, primarily that 'it's tradition' and if she needs help then she should just get married already.. but there were plenty of benefits to getting the high class more involved in their home and giving them more ownership of the pride's well-being. Shangyue's rebellion was generally considered a failure of the rulers, who didn't see what their grandson was becoming and whose parents didn't teach him better.. and implicitly she was helping push the idea that blame rested on the low class for falling for it when Shangyue offered them more by focusing only on them.

"If I have your support, that will be enough for now," she said, smiling, "I would begin by talking to those Lords and Ladies that I know will help me. Aureole, Fafnir and Liuhe should all have valuable insight and their past authority could make it easier to swallow."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:04 pm
“You have it,” Lailah assured her Queen. Though she did have some questions about that particular group...

“What about Unyezi? I’m sure the whole pride knows you periodically seek out his advice. Or does that relationship remain as it is?” She understood that the idea was to get the High Class more involved, but Unyezi was also a past monarch still thankfully living amongst them. Certainly it was a question that some of the pride would ask, so Kimondo would have to be prepared to answer it.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 pm
Her smile saddened at the mention of Unyezi but she shook her head. Of course he had valuable insight but he had already given it, by now she had been Queen longer than he had ever been King, even. But this was finally somewhere he would be out of his depth by necessity.

"Of course I value his advice but this is a big change, one that high class should take full responsibility for," she said, "I want to start with our past consorts and heir, but we'll have to branch out as soon as possible. That I can't name a single other lord or lady to bring in on their own merit is a shame. Malkia comes to mind, of course.. maybe she would be a better choice than Fafnir, even. He had experience as a king but she is our noble with the most connections and maybe even the longest tenure."

Maybe there would be no harm in including both.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am
Lailah nodded as Kimondo further explained her thought process. This was precisely why the Shaman knew her choice had been true; Kimondo wasn't here to ask for guidance nor forgiveness. She wanted Lailah's support as the other key individual in pridal hierarchy but this idea was all her own. To be a proactive force rather than reactive, as Shangyue had become by the end, was part and parcel of being a good monarch.

"How big do you intend this council to be?" the Shaman asked. "Too large, and it will become unwieldly." Just because Lailah could get away with three apprentices - though she might be willing to take on a couple more if she saw youngsters with the potential for it - didn't mean Kimondo could expect the same given the sheer size of the pride these days. Religion was not the same as the day-to-day affairs necessary to keep everyone fed and at peace.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:21 am
"Unwieldy and distracting," Kimondo agreed, "Our nobles are the only ones now without dedicated leadership. You could argue that I am their leader, but then perhaps we need an intermediary like our Hunt and Patrol leaders who help the Head Hunter and Guard keep their ranks organized."

The question now became if the Lords and Ladies would be the intermediary and a new lesser rank for them to manage was created for the other nobles.. or if now the would also need High Lords and Ladies.

"I hadn't thought about that."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am
"Our nobles often think the Great Lion's blessing puts them one step from the monarch," Lailah muttered softly, though keen ears might hear her words. She had generally been so fed up with people during the interim between Shangyue's death and Kimondo's ascension that the Shaman had retreated almost entirely from the pride and snapped at almost everyone who came near.

"Well, this is why you're here, isn't it?" she pointed out to the younger lioness. "To sound out your ideas for the pride so that we can find all the flaws before you implement them. Certainly I'm always here to hlep you, just as the other lions you've spoken to before me, or will speak to afterwards." Unyezi, surely, would be one of those. But Lailah would never deny Kimondo the wisdom of others. Besides, she, like ever lion, had biases that they didn't even realize and it was best to gather a variety of viewpoints before making major changes.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:53 am
Kimondo nodded and stood up, shaking herself off. She hadn't been avoiding Lailah in her time as ruler but she hadn't been talking to her enough, she realized. The Shaman had her own priorities in her role within the pride but she was a smart lioness with good ideas, and working together could only make things better for all of them.

She'd have to keep that in mind going forward, too. Her own questions did not matter when considering the well-being of the pride, and this was what really bound them together.

"Thank you, Lailah," she said, "I'll keep you updated."

If she was going to do this, she may as well start right now.

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff