User Image x User Image

((Brining over from Discord))

Luna
Fowlfoot seemed impatient. Sparrowflight had been visiting him on and off for a while now, so much so that he looked forward to their meetings. When she didn't show, a strange feeling tugged at him and he'd do his best to shrug it off but it always seemed to creep back up. "Silly." he'd tell himself on occasion when he was alone and not assisting Shatteredstar. "She has duties, she can't constantly come here. Especially not with a fox around..." he sighed, shaking his head.

Starclan had had a prophecy for both clans and she had mentioned that both clans had reported scenting fox in the area along with the scent of milk. This close to leafbare too. None of that boded well for either clans. A fox heavy with kits, leack of food and snow. Shaking his head, he seemed to wear grooves into the golden blades of Starclan that caused him to pause and laugh. "She's not here yet Fowlfoot, get a hold of yourself." he said softly when a feeling tugged t his fur.

"Ah." he smiled, turning and heading off in another direction until his pawsteps led her to her dream. Finally she had begun to sleep and her dreamworld opened. Stepping paw inside the darkness, he blinked, waiting for whatever picture there be to come. "Sparrowflight?"

Fable
Despite the weariness the day brought, Sparrowflight wasn’t able to rest immediately. Once the medicine cat had managed to help her get back on her paws, there was work to do. Other cats needed help and patrols sent out to ensure their border was secure and the fox hadn’t made its way back onto their territory. At the end of it all, she’d been named Deputy as well.

She laid awake in the Warrior’s den her heart both full and hurting. They still hadn’t heard about how Riverclan had faired and may not until a passing patrol could swap words with one another. If they were still there. She batted away the horrible thought and sighed heavily. LightningClan had fought hard to ensure not only they would be safe, but RiverClan as well. They’d done what they could.

She squeezed her eyes shut willing herself to sleep. She’d have to be up and on her paws early to have her first patrol sent out. Her tail flicked excitedly. It all felt like a dream still! Her, Deputy? It wasn’t something she had always dreamed about, but she had accepted it very willingly. Who was she to deny the chance to help their leadership care for their clan? Her clan. She’d struggled so hard since losing RockClan to really feel at home, but it had taken the help of a certain cat to start healing.

As her dreams finally took her, a small smile curled up her lips. Fowlfoot. She couldn’t wait to tell the male about everything that had conspired. There was just something about the way he spoke that filled her heart with hope again. He’d been the one to help her see how this new clan needed her now and that didn’t mean forgetting her old one. It didn’t mean she was turning her back on what RockClan was, but opening herself up for greater opportunities in this one. It was still home.

Darkness settled over her mind. Fangs and blood filled her head, cats screaming and a kit coughing. She could hear herself yowling and spitting at a foe she couldn’t reach, couldn’t dig her teeth into. Her heart was pounding, but she couldn’t rest now. The enemy was there. Its face changed from a fox to Direstar sinking its teeth into Jaggedstar’s neck-

“Fowlfoot!” her name being called by the male seemed to break the nightmare up. The small she-cat hurried over to him, pressing her forehead into his shoulder. She lowered herself down trying to calm her heart and shake away the emotions of the nightmare. “Thank you.” She said softly to him shaking her from the images. She stayed like that a minute unable to speak.

“The fox came.”

Luna
Fowlfoot shook his head, steping further into her clouded dream. He watched as the terrifying visions faded, the screams dulled, the cries and coughs of a kit soothed. "Sparrowflight." he called again, right about the time she came bounding forward through it all, sending its cattering like mist. The golden grasses of Starclan glittered once more as she pushed her head into his shoulder. He took a moment and groomed the top of her head before she pulled back. "I had feared as much when I didn't see you dreaming." he spoke softly, eyeing her up and down. He reached out and gently placed a paw on the scar's on her shoulder. "You were injured..." he sighed, now glancing at her ear and briefly pawing at it as well. "Ah well I suppose the life of a warrior is not without its battle trophies." he laughed, then pointing down towards her snake. "Nice choice." he winked, sitting down comfortably but still alert, almost like a soldier on guard. "I'm glad to see you aren't hurt worse. And I know. I hated not being able to do anything.... but I'm glad you are safe." he purred softly, before adding. "Deputy." with a wink.

Fable
His rough tongue against her head eased her tremors. She sighed and softly a purr began to rumble in her throat. She kept her eyes closed for a bit, just letting his touch calm her racing heart before she titled her head back to look up at him, “It… it was terrifying.” She spoke honestly. “On moment I was sure we’d have an all out war with RiverClan then the next it was barreling through our territory…” she shooked her head, hanging it for a moment. And what of poor RiverClan…

Her ears perked and she grinned up at him, “I wasn’t excited about it at first, it’s hard to admit the fox took some good hits on me, but I am warming up to them.” She laughed at him, “Battle trophies are right! I can tell future generations what I’ve been through and have the evidence for it.” She lifted her paw up for him to get a better view. “I almost forgot about this guy with everything going on. He decided to attack me right after the fox left. My kinda luck, huh? Anyways, I don’t plan on sporting him around all the time, but I wanted to show you at least.” She shrugged, feeling suddenly shy about it. Was she being too boastful?

The look of shock that came over her face was hard to hide before it bloomed into a large grin, tail flicking happily, “I shouldn’t be shocked that StarClan would know” she purred loudly. “I was going to surprise you, but yes, Brightstar named me deputy after all of this. I can’t… I can’t even begin to express how big of an honor it is.” She looked away, pawing at the snake head as she tried to gather her thoughts and emotions. It was just so overwhelming. “I never knew this is what I wanted until she named me. I can’t wait, but I’m also deathly afraid of patrols tomorrow.” She laughed softly at that “I’ve participated in them a hundred times, but to be the one calling the shots?” her voice trailed off and she looked back up at him again. “I have a lot to thank you for helping me get to this place.”

She looked out over the golden plains, peace finally settling into her heart, “You’ve been here for me. You helped me overcome the heartache and bitterness of what happened to my clan. I don’t think I’d be the same cat had you not helped me through that.” She looked back into his eyes, tilting her head slightly “Thank you can’t say it enough, really.”

Luna
Fowlfoot laughed, watching her beam with pride then switch to nerovusness then beam again. It was refreshing. Strong of mind but not overly so that it clouded her. "I think he was the one having a bad day." he chuckled, pawing at the snake a bit. Why had he never thought to wear one? Probably because he was too busy eating, hah! "I'm sure if you wore that now, other's will think twice before attacking you again." he chuckled, watching her a moment longer as she spoke more. Something inside him shrank as she spoke about future generations that made him pause in his own thoughts. Was he really feeling a twinge of jealousy? He had died long before her time and yeet here he was, wishing he was back in the existing realm, fighting along side her...maybe even more. The last thought made him choke slightly and he tried his best to faint a cough or a laugh. It was certainly something. "I can see all the kittens now, wide eyed and bushy tailed as they listen to Sparrowstar's teachings." he winked again. She really wasn't far off from that now.

Still, he didn't wish harm on his apprentice. Brightstar had come such a long way since their days together as mentor and apprentice, learning battle moves and hunting crouches. He hoped for many more long years for his former pupile but at the same time he seemed to glow with pride for this young she cat as well. Something about her reminded him of Brightstar.... "Sory to ruin the surprise. I just .... couldn't help myself." he smiled. "It's always nervwracking the first couple of days. Or at least I've heard." he purred a rumbling purr of a laugh. "I wouldn't know personally but I certainly never envied the past deputies." he sighed softly, reaching out to gently nose her shoulder. "You have no one to thank but yourself Sparrowflight, you deserve it, truly. I saw you in the battle....." he spoke then trailed off again, pushing the horrible thoughts he once feared from his mind again. "I think Brightstar made a fine choice. But then, I raised her to." he grinned again, playfully reaching out to boop her with a paw.

Fable
She laughed shaking her head at him “Why hadn’t I thought of that before? Perhaps I need to get myself some pelts to wear as well.” Her eyes danced at the joke. “I’m sure I would be loving that one leafbear really set in…”

Sparrowflight tilted her head curiously at his cough, or had it been a laugh? She hadn’t thought she had said something that funny, but she wasn’t going to complain. Hearing the male’s laughter filled her with joy in return. It just felt so different here with no worries. She could be herself and unload all of life’s cares onto his shoulders and he didn’t seem affected by it. The fact he’d sought her out this time in worry… Something inside of her warmed up at the thought.

“Sparrowstar!” she gasped. “Really, Fowlfoot, you gotta stop saying things like that!” she laughed, her eyes shining though. No, she couldn’t imagine losing Brightstar. There was so much she still didn’t know about leading, plus Brightstar had been carrying them through more hardship then she thought she could ever handle. No, Deputy was a good look on her and that’s what she’d cherish. “You might give me a big head.”

His touch was comforting and she purred thankfully at him. “That’s fair. I’ve gone through the motions every day, plus I have Brightstar. I know I’ll manage. Thanks for your vote of confidence though. It does mean a lot to me.” She gave him a half smile looking away in embarrassment, “Thank you.” She laughed and bapped his paw away, playfully shoving his shoulder.

She got serious suddenly. Him bringing up the conversation about the battle… the one where he lost his life. “Do… do you miss it?” she asked gently. She wasn’t sure if he wanted to talk about it. If it was something he was still struggling with. Losing his life… Did he miss the living world when he had peace forever?

Luna
Fowlfoot chuckled. "You'd be the most popular cat in leaf-bare if you wore another pelt." he chuckled at the thought. Though he supposed it wasn't so far fetched as it sounds now, not after what he had seen in Riverclan after this whole ordeal. "That... Oddpelt, I think it is. He might try to be your new best sleeping companion." he chuckled again though really the thought made him want to wince. Not that he could share a den with her anyways....

He grinned cheesily at her though. "Well, you are one step closer. Though forgive me, I do hope that neither Brightstar's nor your time comes any time soon." he paused a moment, a bit of a serious look washed over his features. He thought hard about the battle in which he had died. Doing his best to save his clan in hopes to see his clanmates prosper. And yet Starclan had called that fateful day and who was he to ignore their call? But did he miss it?

"Endless hunting, boundless energy, fields of golden." he smiled and paused, glancing out over the rest of Starclan. Who wouldn't miss this? But did he miss the real world? It's hardships and pains. It's joys and laughter? "I hadn't thought of it before... but lately... I find myself missing it." he said sincerely, looking into her eyes. Yes he missed it. Feeling the warmth of another cat so closely, sharing tongues, hunts, fresh kill, border patrols. Sleeping together in leaf-bare to share body heat.... of course feeling the affection of a mate. All things he only breifly got to consider before his time had come.

Fable
Sparrowlfight wrinkled her nose up at him and laughed. She’d only ever heard of the cat, oh so properly named, but couldn’t imagine it for herself. She shook her head madly at him, “I’m sure he’s a, uh, great cat, but think I’ll pass.” Would there be anyone for her to share warmth with this winter? The thought suddenly gripped her. She’d been so wrapped up in the clan she’d never really stopped to consider… herself.

“Oh no apology needed. Brightstar is a wonderful leader and I would never wish ill on her.” She paused a moment, “Had it not been for her style of leadership and your kind words I don’t know if I would have felt good working under someone again after Jaggedstar. She really has a heart, taking us all in…” she trailed off and let the thoughts go. No need to wallow in the past.

She glanced out at the fields with him, taking a deep breath of the crisp air. Everything about it was so perfect, so pure. She wouldn’t blame him, heck, when it was her turn she wasn’t sure she’d miss the struggle. As it was, she felt called and if she got taken before that…maybe that would make it hard to want to be here.

“Lately?” She asked curiously, looking back at him “Whats changed?” She hoped she wasn’t prying, but she knew better. They’d visited so often he’d never hesitate to answer her questions. “I’m sorry for bringing it up. It’s really a delicate topic.”

“I just… I wish you could have been there. We could have really used you. I mean, we survived…” she trailed off not really sure what she was trying to say. Her stomach was a knot and she looked away again sighing. Where had that come from?

Luna
Fowlfoot grinned. "Oh? Hairless isn't your style?" he teased, but inwardly was glad.

His mind seemed wrapped around her question though. What had changed? Nothing really in particular, except for...well... her. How did he say that though without sounding weird or strange? It's not like he could just go back with her. His time had long passed. He was Starclan now.

To hear her say she wished he was there though....something inside him fluttered. "I wish I could have been there too. To lend my claws in battle once again..." he said honestly, his nub tail flicking slightly. "Still able to lend my paw to protect my clan, my mentor.....you." he blinked, glancing briefly at her before his gaze flickered away. "What's changed is... you." he found the words hard to say, but not necessarily in a bad way. "Being able to talk freely with you, visit you, help train you...." he paused, looking sheepish a moment. "With the barrier being down and Starclan, or Forestclan, able to interact with those loyal....its made me feel like the old days, even if just a little bit. It makes my heart happy." he smiled, hoping he wasn't coming off too silly.

He noticed how she shied away and he frowned. Leaning forward he nosed her face back up. "I gues, what I'm trying to say is....thank you, Sparrowflight. Our visits....have meant a lot to me." his voice was sincere, his tone gentle as he gazed into her eyes.

Fable
Sparrowflight’s face looked shocked, but there was delight behind her eyes as well. She looked away shyly, cursing herself silently for how his words were causing her heart to race. How was she supposed to react? What was she supposed to say? She blinked madly when he nosed her face back up and she could feel her limbs tingle “I’m really happy too, Fowlfoot.” she returned, a soft purr emanating from her throat as she held his gaze.

“I can’t tell you how… different it feels to be here with you. I look forward to sleep so we can talk, so I can share what's happening and get your guidance. I was… I was so lost and alone before you came. Then you helped me realize how to let go and let others in again. That’s something I’ll never be able to thank you enough for.” she hesitated before scooting closer to him, pressing her side up against his so they could look out at the golden fields together. She couldn’t meet his eyes she was so nervous, but couldn’t hide the smile the touch brought her.

“I wish I had gotten to know you before.” she said honestly. “Though I guess things would have been… different.” She wrinkled her nose trying to figure out how to say what she was feeling. What was it anyways? She got to see him when the craziness of the day wasn’t going on, no interruptions, nothing. Just them. That was pretty special. “No, I take that back. This is perfect.”

“I think… I think tonight I’m just going to stay with you.” she said softly. “Instead of going back to my dreams. I like it better here- with you. Even if we don’t say anything at all.” she turned her golden eyes up at him, slowly laying herself down and tucking her paws under her (TINY SPARROW CAT LOAF). She decided he’d spent one too many nights without the warmth of another cat, so she’d be happy to provide. Though, she supposed in a way, she would be benefiting from it just as much.

Luna
"It's been different for me too, since you've been coming." he admitted, his face flushing with heat. How he wished the opposite of her in this moment. To be alive again, to properly feel her warmth beside him, to groom her fur, protect her in battle so he was the one with the scars, not her. He never thought he'd actually care for another cat so deeply as he had Shatteredstar and Brightstar. Now here was Sparrowflight, a tiny but strong she-cat, newly named deputy. Doing her clan, as well as Starclan, proud and moving up quickly in what he hoped was her long life. Maybe soon, being addressed as Sparrowstar.

Heh, Fowlfoot, thing for stars much?

Chuckling softly, he shook his head, watching as she neatly folded herself down next to him. He too, did the same, his form slightly towering over her, but not so much so that it was distracting. Just the right hight. "After what I just saw, I don't blame you." he laughed again, playfully. "But..." he began again, his front paws shuffling a bit before he finally got fully comfortable. "It makes me really happy to hear that." he purred gently, glancing down at her.

A small frown plastered his face as he thought that soon she'd have to wake up, wether she wanted too or not. Wishing she could remain here forever also felt cruel. He didn't wish for her to die, not now. But that selfish part of him wanted her to stay. "I'm afraid at some point you have to wake up. Just know that when you sleep again, I'll be here. Just call for me, I'll never not come." he whispered to her, his face pressing as close to hers as he could.