Welcome to Gaia! ::

Warriors: Dreams of War

Back to Guilds

Gaia B/c based on the Erin Hunter Warriors series. Rp based Pet shop! 

Tags: warriors, Cats, Wars, Dreams 

Reply Roleplay
[Lostpath x Split] Playing Hooky

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

belloblossom

Aged Shapeshifter

17,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 am
Lostpath
Lostpath had been spending a lot of time going on border patrols lately. She wanted to see Split, to see if he had managed through the sickness. He didn't look sick when she'd seen him last, but she wanted to make sure he hadn't caught it. When she wasn't on border patrols, she was stuck to Bearjaw's side. Since the journey to find the catmint, they'd become closer. She still wore the small flower in her ear, though it looked considerably more wilted since she'd been given it. Bearjaw, she'd realized a while ago, was the cat she wanted to spend her entire life with. He made her feel safe and warm, even as the snow fell and ice froze over the river. Yet, there was one other tomcat that plagued her minds and it was that tomcat she always looked for at the borders.

Lately, she wondered if the reason he wasn't appearing was because she was with so many other cats for the patrols. So, she began to sneak off on her own. She'd slip away to "make dirt" and then be gone for longer and longer amounts of time. She'd leave in the middle of the night, claiming she couldn't sleep the few times she woke Bearjaw in the process, claiming she would ask Stonebelly for poppy seeds or that she just needed to stretch her legs.
Lying made her stomach feel like there were rocks in it, but she needed to make sure she saw Split. Needed to make sure he was alive and well and not dead. She didn't know where loners went when they died and neither did she. What if he needed her? She had to be there if he did. They were friends, after all. Whenever she thought of him needing help, her heart leaped into her throat. Whenever she thought of the way he would almost smile at her or the feather she'd given him, she felt as warm and fuzzy as she did when she would cuddle with Bearjaw.

So, she went to the border. It was coming up on dusk on that particular occasion. She'd slipped away while Rabbitleap was talking to her brother. Emotions pricking at her fur, she returned to the places they'd met previously, keeping her mouth open to taste the chilly wind. Maybe today would be different. She had to keep faith that eventually, he would come by the RiverClan border. So that she didn't charge off into the wilderness to find him herself.

Split
It had been some time since he had traveled this close to the RiverClan boarder. Caring for Spirit and Whisper had taken up all of his energy and time. His skills as a hunter had helped him keep the three of them fed so far. Unfortunately all of his hunting had driven the prey from his normal hunting spots.

Of all the other hunting spots he know of, he wasn't sure why he had chosen the one so close to the clan boarder. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that he had been thinking about Lostpath often recently. Spirit had also been kind to him and Split cared for her but he found himself resenting her from time to time for being so weak. He longed for the companionship of a cat who could care for themselves.

Edging the boarder, Split stopped to think. Was it possible that he had traveled this far just to try to glimpse Lostpath? With a sigh, Split admitted to himself that he missed her curious mind and kind words. He sat at the boarder of RiverClan, unaware of the she-cat approaching downwind of him.

Lostpath
At first, she'd thought she had imagined it. The scent of a cat that wasn't apart of her Clan, but didn't carry the tree heavy scents that came from LightningClan. It's unfamiliarity was the sole thing that marked it as familiar and Lostpath's ears perked, her eye widening. Throwing caution and stealth to the wind, she surged forward. Was it Split? Or had some new loner come by? She'd heard rumors of a spotted she-cat loner in the area who spoke about trees? She hoped it was the former. She need it to be him, to ensure that he was okay. She rounded a bush and nearly collided with him. She skid to a halt, wobbling. A whisker-length further and their noses would've touched.

"You're here!" Lostpath purred at the sight of his striped pelt, his half-face and his floppy ear. "It's been ages since I've seen you. I didn't know what had happened-if you'd..." She couldn't allow herself to voice it. "I've missed you! Are you well? Are you getting enough to eat?" The last they'd talked, sickness was rampant in RiverClan. Now, the Clan had been cured, thanks to the messages from their warrior ancestors and the journey she and a pawful of cats had taken. The Clans had enough catmint, but did Split need any?

"I'm sorry." She said as she realized her close proximity to him and her eager, boundless words and took a half-step back. She was disinclined to move away from him. Maybe it was all the time she was spending with Bearjaw that loosened her worries about close proximities. "I don't mean to, erm, overwhelm you. I'd just... I've been worried about you. I know that you can take care of yourself... but it's been a rather harsh leaf-bare and..." She flicked her ears. "I'm glad you decided to stop by. What're you doing around here?" She looked sheepish. "Sorry, too, for all the questions. You're welcome to bombard me with questions, heh."

Split
The one standing ear on the tom perked and his head swiveled to look in the direction of soft paw steps heading his way. A moment later, Split was face to face with Lostpath, the loners only clan friend. At once she was a bright bundle of questions and Split instinctively leaned back from her. As Lostpath calmed down and stepped back, Split relaxed and sat down.

"Seeing you." Split replied to the energetic young she-cat's last question to him. "The question of whether or not you were okay brought me here, now that's answered." It was a great relief to know that Lostpath had still managed to avoid the sickness, she looked to healthy for a recovering cat. Foxkit, however, he hadn't seen since the day he tried to take her and especially now that he was a father, Split desperately wanted to know that she had recovered from the sickness she'd brought to his friends clan.

"Other than that my only question is, did you lose anyone to the sickness?" He hesitated slightly on anyone, hopping that Lostpath knew he was talking about Foxkit. Split had every intention of answering all of Lostpath's questions but first he needed to know if there was reason or not to hate her clan.

Not long ago, Split had scented Lostpath outside of her territory along with many other scents of cats, all belonging to clans. The trail they left was easy to follow and led all over the place. Knowing that one clan, if not both, was sick Split had assumed the cats were roaming around looking for something. Split had marked a territory while Spirit was kitting and the clan cats had not bothered him or his kind. Still, there where many questions the tom cat had for his friend about her adventure.

Lostpath
Lostpath's eye widened and her tail curled in clear delight when Split revealed his reason for being there. He'd been worried about her? A short purr emerged from throat, before it quieted at his next question to hear it better.

"No! We had some close calls, but everyone's fine. Foxkit, well, Foxcry now, she was just recently made into a warrior." She glanced down. "We were able to find the cure to the sickness. She's... turned into a strong warrior." She looked back at Split with a half-smile. "She's made a friend, too. Fadingsky. They seem really close, since she only really tends to hang around Barkfang, that was her mentor, and him. She's fitting in." Lostpath hoped this was true. She tended to stay away from the ginger warrior. Despite all that she'd gone through to see that the catmint was found... That Foxcry could come out so bitter and resentful. She didn't want Split to know about that. She didn't want him to resent her for how Foxcry turned out.

"Anyway, everything's fine with RiverClan now and LightningClan too, since we were both able to find the cure. It was such a wild experience... so much has changed since we went." She thought of how her relationship with Bearjaw had changed and she felt her cheeks warm pleasantly. "But what about you? It's been an age since I've seen you last. It's finally starting to warm up, with the sun poking out more... but you have been finding enough to eat, right?" She asked.

Split
The relief Split felt was instant and almost overwhelming, much to his surprise. He hadn't realized just how worried he'd been about the sick loner kitten in riverclan. Of course Split knew he had no claim to Foxcry, as she was called now, but it had not stopped him from worrying about her.

As Lostpath mentioned finding a cure, Split nodded, figuring that was the reason for the trail left by the clans. So he had been correct in his assumption that both clans were sick.

"I've had enough prey, shelter, and warmth this leaf bare." Split replied, answering her last question. Before Lostpath could question his source of warmth, Split tried to get her talking again. "I thought I caught your scent I'm my neck of the woods. How was your adventure off your territory?"

Lostpath
Lostpath nodded contentedly when he explained to say that he had plenty of all the necessities that came from survival out on your own. She wasn't certain how he came by the warmth he mentioned, but he'd asked her a question before she could inquire. With a look of something close to nostalgia, she reflected on the journey.

"Honestly? It was really overwhelming and stressful. All the cats that were meant to go got this dream from one of our warrior ancestors, telling us that if we didn't go find this herb, catmint, it's called that many cats would die." She shuddered.

"So we all snuck out of camp and met together, both RiverClan and LightningClan. Then we set off. We didn't exactly know where we were going and there was a lot of arguing on the way. ForestClan and StarClan weren't the most helpful either. In the end, it lead us further into the marshes, up into the mountain, back around the forest and finally to a Twolegplace!" She shook her head. "If Tailchaser wasn't there-he's a former kittypet that's in LightningClan now-well, we would've never found the catmint in the Twolegplace. He was the real hero of the trip."

She mewed, and then remembered another important part of the trip. "Oh and on the way back, one of my Clanmates, Owlheart, nearly got hauled off by a hawk! It was so scary. His brother, Bearjaw, leaped into action and saved him. My heart was beating so fast I thought it would burst out of my chest. Thank ForestClan-and Bearjaw- because Owlheart lived through the encounter, thanks to his brother's quick thinking and bravery."

Licking down the fur on her chest which had begun to raise, she relaxed with a sigh.
"I used to imagine that if I ever left RiverClan's camp for any reason, it would be to run off with you for a night or a few. Find out what it's like to be a loner and such." She looked wistfully at Split. "I guess it's too late for such dreams like that now, hm?"

Split
Split settled in and lowered himself to the ground as Lostpath spoke about the adventure she had taken. He had never really put much thought into the after life clans but it seemed like they took an active roll in protecting the living. As Lostpath mentioned finding a Twolegplace, Split nodded. He knew about the place she spoke of but had never been inside either of the nests past the fence.

"Sounds like you had quite the adventure. Running off with me for a night or few wouldn't be near as exciting. The life of a loner seems to be rather boring compared to your life in the clan." Split replied to Lostpath. "Though I must ask, why is it too late? I didn't realize being a runaway had a time limit." He gave his paw a thoughtful lick. Lostpath lover her clan, that had always been very obvious by the way she talked about it, but would they really be okay with her running away with a loner for a night? Wouldn't they send someone after her? Would she really risk that just to see what his life is like?

Insecurity hit him like a monster. Her life was so structured and full of adventures. His life was nothing like that. All he ever really did was hunt and sunbathe. What if she did run away with him for a night and all he did was bore her? What if afterwards she'd never want to see him again? Split's tail lashed a few times as his thoughts began to spiral.

Lostpath
Lostpath gave a small laugh at Split’s remarks.
“Too exciting for my tastes.” She explained and shook her head. “There’s bound to be some excitement in being a warrior. Fighting over what you believe to be right, or driving off badgers or foxes that threaten your Clanmates, but I could due without all the clamor that comes with it. There’s so much responsibility in being a good warrior. There’s respect, too, if you manage to do it right, but it’s a lot of pressure. I can only imagine the freedom that you feel as a loner, not being tied down to anything and being guided through your day by your own choice.” There was a light in her eye as she imagined it and then turned to Split.

“I...” For a moment, she hesitated before admitting. “I wasn’t sure if you would want me along. If you’d see me as a burden rather than a friend. And I wouldn’t want to go along only to annoy you. I care so much for you, Split, I wonder if you-“ She stopped, looking away in embarrassment. He was friendly with her and she had grown up meeting with him at the borders over the course of her life, but she hadn’t spent so much time with him before. Would he find her repetitive? Tedious? Would he deem her another horrible Clan cat and chase her away?

But... she wanted to be closer with him. She wanted to know him better, to know his life and understand him in a way her Clanmates couldn’t. A flash of possessiveness she wasn’t familiar with slid through her.
I want to be able to understand him like no one else can. Not my Clanmates, or even another loner. She thought and so she looked back to him, finding him lashing his tail.

She moved over to him slowly, reaching out her tail to brush against his flank.
“If you will have me, I will gladly go with you now.” She told him with a soft purr.

Split
He blinked slowly as her tail brushed over him.
"Lostpath, you are one of the three cats I can tolerate." There was almost humor in his tone. His mismatched eyes, lacking their normal narrowed annoyance look, starred into Lostpath's good eye. "You have shown me a kindness I didn't know existed in clan cats, or most cats for that matter. If you would like to run off from your clan and duties, I will gladly encourage you to do so." His insecurity was fading with every second of Lostpath's purr. If he could get his favorite clan cat to leave the clan, he was going to do it, or at the very least encourage it.

"I just..." Split was hesitating now. He did want her to come with him away from the Riverclan boarder but was she really sure about all this? "I don't want you to make a decision you'll regret. Being a loner means you're on your own and only get once chance. Have you really thought it over?" She had already risked a lot (he felt anyway) just talking to him. Running off with him for a night, was it really okay?

Lostpath
Lostpath wasn’t entirely certain his initial comment had been a compliment, but she chose to take it as one. She did wonder who the other two cats were, but perhaps that was a question for later that evening. Her cheeks warmed at his mention of her kindness. She was ready to leave with him. After all, she doubted Shadowstar would send out a patrol over one warrior. She may be saddled with apprentice duties for a moon, but to understand Split better, to grow closer to him... She would pick ticks off of elders for the rest of leaf-bare!

But then, she thought of Bearjaw. She felt bad lying to him. But how could she return to camp now, to ask him to cover for her while she went off on her own to..to what? Find herself? Become closer with a loner tomcat he didn’t know? She couldn’t ask that of him. And... she hoped that he would be understanding when she returned. If he needed to find out about it in the first place.

She had wanted to find out what it felt like to be a loner for so long, before Bearjaw and she even became close. Surely he would want to encourage her dreams and goals. It wasn’t like she was abandoning RiverClan forever.

“So long as I’m back by dawn tomorrow, there shouldn’t be any cause to really worry.” She mewed in reply, trying to reassure herself as much as she was for Split. “If we were in green-leaf, maybe I could have stayed out longer, but with leaf-bare, we need all the paws to go out hunting that we can.” Even when she was thinking of running away, Lostpath was still worried about the mouths to feed at home. “But as it is now, I want to go with you. Split. I’ve been thinking of this since I met you.” She smiled at him. “And I’m ready for our adventure together, if you’ll have me.” She said and brushed her flank against his. She looked at the territory beyond the RiverClan border and smiled in anticipation. “Lead the way.” She suggested, looking at him with a kit-like excitement in her eye.

Split
Split nodded and rose to his paws. There was no need for any more questions now. It seemed her mind was made up and that was good enough for Split. Being back by dawn tomorrow should be very doable and was a reasonable request.

As he turned away from the Riverclan boundary Split realized he hadn't really thought this part though. The day had started off with him coming just to make sure she was okay, now he was leading her into his territory (or lack thereof). Where was he going to take her? His favorite den was still occupied by Spirit and Whisper and he had hunted most of the land around the den clean. Annoyance flared up in him but he did his best to hide it.
After what seemed like forever in his head but was really only a few long moments, Split had a plan. First things first, they needed to get away from the clan boarder. Without looking to see if she was following, Split began making his way back the way he came.

"You know, while we're out here, you'll be hunting for only yourself." He called over his shoulder to her as he picked his way through the snow, following his old steps.

Lostpath
Lostpath was still scanning the horizon, wondering where they would go, when Split started off. She hurried after him, though made an effort to keep her paws light and let her tail sweep behind her, lest any paw prints appear on the snow. So focused in this task was she that she almost missed what had been said.

Hunting for herself? The idea seemed so foreign. She had always hunted for other cats, had at least been willing to hunt for Split, out of courtesy, but this concept. It would be something to wrap her head around for certain. In fact, she was certain that she would learn quite a lot about the differences between her usual routine and what it would be like to be a loner, on this little outing.

“Thank you, for telling me.” She said, before she fell silent again, unsure of what to say next. She picked up her pace a little, so that she could walk beside him, rather than behind him. Feeling more at ease with silence for the time being, she remained quiet, but shot him a smile any time he looked in her direction.

Split
To say it was nice to have Lostpath along was an understatment. It was so relieving to have someone who knew how cover their own tracks and hunt their own food. For the first time that he could remember, he wasn't cosntantly peeking over his shoulder to make sure his follower hadn't managed to find trouble. Split realized that Lostpath was able to keep up with him at his normal pace, he didn't have to slow down for her.

Split led the clan cat on a winding path through the bare forest away from her clan. Occasionally he would stop and scent the air. They weren't the only hunters in this part of the forest but Split was determined not to meet any of the others. A few times when he stopped, he saw Lostpath smiling at him and began to feel nervous that his life wasn't impressive or exciting enough.

It was nice to travel in peace and silence but soon Split began to miss the questions that sprouted from the inquisitive mind of his friend. The smell of a rabbit hit his nose and he froze. Perhaps Lostpath would be inclined to talk over dinner? He gave her a questioning look to see if she had also caught the smell.

(pt 1)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:54 am
Lostpath
Lostpath was too caught up with hiding her trail from any patrols that could stray by where she left with Split, than to think up questions to ask Split. Keeping a wary eye out and tasting the air every now and then, as they got further and further from the border, she stilled as the scent of rabbit- rabbit - lifted into her nose. She turned her head to look at Split, catching his eye and giving a near imperceptible nod. She glanced at the trees, peering closely at the leaves, trying to detect if there was a breeze that would give their scent away to the rabbit.

Rabbits can smell you, well before they may see you. She remembered Flamedapple telling her, back in her apprentice days. She didn't see the leaves rustling currently. Turning her gaze back to Split, she flicked her ears sharply forward in the direction of the rabbit's scent. They would have to move quickly, any sort of breeze picked up, if they wanted to gain any ground against where that rabbit may be.

Without waiting for him, she began to tread lightly forward, picking up her tail from sweeping behind her. She was confident that they were far enough away from her Clan's border and she didn't want the movement of her tail hiding her tracks in the snow, alerting the rabbit that it was being tracked.

Split
Split nearly chocked on the sigh of relief he had to suppress. Constantly hanging around ex kittypets and sickly loners had Split easily impressed by Lostpath's initiative to start the hunt. None of his other leaf bare companions knew how to hunt rabbit. They would have just waited for him to catch it or darted right at it and scared it off.

The tom looked after the she-cat with a look of fond admiration. Before she could glance back and catch his expression, he swiftly moved down a different path. Split knew this spot well, at the base of a slopping hill, it was the perfect and his favorite spot for hunting rabbit in greenleaf. Having hunted here so often, he knew a trick to hunting here. There was a distinct under brush escape route the rabbits always used and Split made his way up a log that sat just above the entrance.

Split readied himself, waiting for Lostpath and the rabbit to go into action. If Lostpath failed to catch it before it darted for the tunnel, Split would be ready for the pounce.

Lostpath
Lostpath detected the faint sound of fading pawsteps and a quick glance around confirmed that Split had gone. She didn't think he was the type to leave her alone in a hunt; perhaps he knew where best to cut the rabbit off, should it flee.

But she wouldn't let it flee her claws. She would catch it and make a statement of catching it. She wanted to show off that she was a capable cat, one worthy of his admiration, if he had any for her to begin with. She knew they were friends, but... She wanted him to think well of her, even if she came from a Clan. If catching this rabbit could get her closer to that goal, she would catch this rabbit... and five more rabbits after that!

Don't let your mind wander. Stay focused. She reminded herself and continued to prowl forward. The scent of rabbit was growing steadily stronger and soon enough, she had it in her sights. It's back was turned to her and she moved forward, stifling her eagerness to run forward and claim it in a magnificent food. Arrogance won't feed a Clan. Darktail had sneered to her in passing once.

She was three tail lengths away when the a breeze shifted the odds against her. The rabbit's head snapped up and turned around to face her. Her moment of hesitation let it bolt away from her. With a growl of frustration, she pursued it. Wherever Split was hiding, she hoped that if she wasn't fast enough to catch it, he'd be able to!

Split
From his perch on top of the fallen log, Split could just barely see his companion for the day. He watched as her figure stalked towards the rabbit, waiting tensely for one of them to go into action. Though his vision was slightly obscured by the brush, Split's eyes followed Lostpath and the way she moved instead of focusing on the rabbit. So focused on watching another competent cat hunt, he almost missed the breeze shifting.

Within a single heart beat it seemed like they were all in motion. The rabbit, as expected, was headed for the underbrush tunnel with Lostpath close behind. Split had a moment of hesitation as he feared colliding with Lostpath. His hunters instincts took over and without another thought he sprang from his hiding spot.

With a soft crunch in the snow, Split landed on the rabbit. The force of his pounce with the force of one swift bite ended the rabbits life.

Lostpath
Lostpath had followed the rabbit, but pulled up short of running into Split when he landed atop of it. She smiled brightly at him.
"Great catch!" She mewed, admiration clear in her voice. "You weren't kidding when you said you could fend for yourself. And to think I was worried." She said, her whiskers twitching with amusement. "Is it safe to eat here? Or should we venture a little further out?" She glanced behind him at the tunnel. "If rabbits tend to come out of here, we should probably eat away from it. Wouldn't want them to smell their own blood and find a different hole to pop out of." She mewed thoughtfully, before turning around. "Any ideas on where we should eat? You know this area better than I do, heh."

Now that the hunt was a success, though she was admittedly disappointed that she hadn't made the catch herself, she was ready to continue with their day. Convinced that she could chat comfortably again without being overheard by any other lurking cats, she soon found herself teeming with questions and conversation topics. Still, there was a time and a place and Split wouldn't be able to reply very well with a rabbit in his mouth. The sooner they found some place to settle down to eat, the sooner she could ask him more about his life.

Split
For one heartbeat, all that existed to Split was the hunt, the taste of fresh kill in his mouth. The words of his clan companion drew him back to the present moment. For what felt like forever but was probably only a few moments, Split stared at Lostpath in confusion. Had she complimented his catch and said she was worried he couldn't fend for himself? His stare dragged on for a moment more before he cleared his mind and answered her questions.

"You're right, we shouldn't eat it here. I know a place, it's not far." Split said before picking up their kill and starting off again. As they walked, Split's mind drifted. Had he ever been praised for a catch before? Was it common for clan cats to compliment each other on their kills? Why had Lostpath been worried? Did she, like everyone else, doubt his ability to care for himself? Even after stating that he'd had plenty of food this leaf bare, had she not believed in him?

His eyes narrowed to their usual annoyed expression as he trudged on through the snow. As his thoughts became more paranoid and agitated his tail lashed out behind him. Though he tried to calm and reassure himself that Lostpath was a friend and did believe in him (because why else would she have come with him), by the time they stopped, Split was in the beginnings of a mighty foul mood.

Split sat the rabbit down for a second to smell the air around them. They had come to a small clearing next to a grove of trees on one side and a mighty bramble bush on the other, not far from where they had caught the rabbit. There air here was clear of predators so Split sat down and turned to Lostpath.

"We're here. The brambles aren't reinforced or anything but it makes a decent cover if anything were to wonder by." Once he had announced their arrival , he gave a small gesture to the rabbit, indicating for Lostpath to have first taste.

Lostpath
Lostpath had thought things were going well, until she noticed Split’s tail lashing. She followed him as he led the way, but her eye was on the ground rather than looking at the new surroundings. Had she said something wrong? Or was it that he decided she was deadweight because of her missed catch, that he had to catch for them instead? Head clouded with worry, she bumped into him when he stopped and only them looked up and around.

“You know the best places.” She mewed, looking around at the brambles with a considering eye. If reinforced with thorns, they could become a promising den, she thought. She looked to Split and then to the rabbit. She flicked her ears by way of thanks and then crouched down to begin to rip into it. She gave an audible purr at the hot meal and pulled back, scooting over to let Split join in. Still, the feeling that she had done something wrong prickled at her pelt. But what could it be?
“I’m sorry.” She blurted. “I know that this... that I’m...” She sighed and sat up. “I’m not great with words. Sometimes I talk to much and I’ll say something weird. Or I won’t talk at all and then things get uncomfortable. I just don’t know how to interact well with others and I really wanted to make you proud, so I tried to catch the rabbit, but I missed the chance and you had to pick up my slack.” Her ears tipped back in shame. “I really do appreciate you letting me join you and I know I’m not... worth anything to you. That we’ve always been friends, but I’ll still just be a Clan cat, or I’ll be a chatty she-cat that doesn’t shut up, or I’ll be someone who’s trained my life away only to not catch a rabbit when it really counts...” She sighed softly. “I want to be a cat worthy of your admiration. I don’t want to just be known as kind-any cat can be kind. I want to be strong, too. And I know I missed the kill.” She looked up to him, a determination in her eyes. "But if we go hunting again, then I'll catch something for you this time. I'll prove to you that I can be useful out here and that I don't need to be looked after. I just... I don't want to be a disappointment. I want to be a cat you're proud to hunt with." She swallowed. "And I'm sorry that I've upset you, because I know I have, I can see that you are... But if you tell me how I can fix it, then I'll do everything I can to. And-And I'm sorry for talking so much." She added, hoping that she'd covered everything in her apology. Surely he couldn't be too upset with her now that she'd apologized for everything she could possibly consider.

Split
As Lostpath sat to start on the rabbit, Split gave the fur on his back and chest a few quick nervous licks. The pur coming from his friend helped to relax him a bit. He was about to move to join in on the rabbit when Lostpath exploded with apology after apology.

Split was stunned. She wanted to make him proud? She wanted to be worth something to him? This whole time he had been obsessing over what she thought of him, his friend had been doing the same.

"You... I..." Split started but lost his words. Where to start? He took a deep breath and tried again. "I've never had a catch complimented. With your comment, I thought you really didn't believe that I could handle myself and that you were just patronizing me." Looking at her now, he could clearly see that wasn't the case.

"If you are not worth anything to me, do you really think I would have come to check on you? Let you come with me? Encourage it even?" He could feel the heat rising in his face. "I'm not really the kind of cat to put up with those I don't care about. The fact that you took intuitive to catch our meal impressed me. You are the only one I've spent any amount of time with this leaf bare that doesn't depend on me for survival. You're even willing to face back lash from your clan just to be here with me. I do admire you."

He dropped his eyes to the ground in embarrassment, no longer able to look at her. Now it was his turn to say the wrong thing and make stuff all weird. Emotions were not his strong point and admitting he cared for his clan companion out loud to her felt a tad bit overwhelming.

Lostpath
Lostpath flexed her claws as she waited for Split's reply, her chest rising and falling slowly as she tried to take long, deep breaths to relax herself from her long, rambling apology. Then, when he began, she turned her gaze to his and listened intently.

A look of dismay crossed her face when he revealed that he thought she'd been making fun of him when she'd complimented him. In RiverClan, complimenting a good catch was just good manners. She hadn't realized that it wasn't the same out here. Were loners so callous towards one another out in the wilderness? Did nothing bind them together as friends? As he went on, she tried to keep her focus, rather than pondering over the life of a loner.

She felt warmth spreading over her muzzle as she listened to him. How he was impressed by how she started the hunt. How he admired her. How she didn't depend on him for survival like the others- Wait, others?

"You've been helping others?" She asked him, blinking (or was she winking) in bewilderment and after a moment, she found herself asking. "Any... she-cats?" She quickly added. "Not that there's anything wrong with that. ForestClan knows, well, anycat knows that there's nothing wrong with that. It's just... I didn't realize that... I may've misunderstood that we're not... Oh ForestClan." She rolled her eye to the sky and sighed, returning her gaze to him. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to assume. Please, tell me about these cats that depend on you. I hope I'm not stealing your time away from them, if they need you so desperately." She glanced at the rabbit at her paws. She'd been hoping to eat it with Split, but if there were others that needed it more...

Split
Out of everything he'd just said, she asks if he'd been helping any she-cats? Really, that's what she focused on? Wait... Split's eyes narrowed suspiciously as Lostpath continued on mentioning misunderstandings. His mind was racing trying to connect the dots from her wanting to be admired statement to being so concerned with his time with other she-cats. Could she....? No, that would be ridiculous... right?

"I have. A loner tom, Wikit. He used to be a kitty pet but now he lives out here. Being his first leaf bare away from twolegs, I helped him out a bit." Split paused to gauge Lostpath's reaction. "And yes, there is a she-cat and her son. Her name is Spirit and she's probably the most frail cat I've ever met. Whisper, her son, seems just as frail. I have been letting them stay in my den and hunting for them because I know they wouldn't last the leaf bare alone." Split answered Lostpath's questions. He purposely left out the fact that Whisper was also his son. With the way Lostpath had asked about the she-cat's, Split wasn't sure he really wanted to share all of story with Spirit.

"I left them with enough food to last a few days. I usually leave them for days at a time to go hunt. This will be no different."

Lostpath
Lostpath turned her gaze to Split and found his eyes characteristically narrowed at her again. She tried not to let it prickle at her fur, the doubt that she felt from that look. It was how he always looked, she told herself. There's nothing like suspicion or irritation in his gaze now, surely not.

As he spoke about this, Wikit, fellow, she perked her ears, though it was clear that she was a bit relieved that it was only a kittypet tom. But wait, no there was another cat, Spirit? A frail she-cat with a son to take care of. She kneaded the ground slowly, trying to rid herself of any budding anxiety. He was allowed to have his own life. She had been getting close to Bearjaw, surely she didn't have any cause to get jealous of him helping out this mother. Besides, she already had a son, so surely there was already a tom in her life and it wasn't Split. Not that that mattered, of course. Of course it didn't.

"It's good of you to be helping them. Almost like a-" She stopped herself from saying, 'like a mini Clan of loners' and quickly changed it to, "-a family." She smiled. "I'm sure it's a happy one, with you helping them." She flicked her ears. "Well, if they've enough food, then we shouldn't let his rabbit get stiff before we eat it. I've already had the first bite, please," She gestured with a paw for him to help himself. "Without you we would've lost it, after all." She was ready to forget her whole question about she-cats. She already felt self-conscious asking about it. But was she already too far down the rabbit hole? She waited to see if he would move towards the rabbit, before she took a slow inhale. Ten seconds of courage, Lostpath.

"I've thought of running away with you, permanently. Of starting a life together, the two of us." She flicked her ears, heat of embarrassment washing over her with the confession. "When I was younger, especially, though even now... sometimes."

She swallowed and turned her gaze to the bramble that surrounded them and then up further, to the foliage that blotted out the sky.

"Or that you'd suddenly decide to join RiverClan, heh. But that's not you and I wouldn't ever ask anything like that of you. So running away to be a loner was often the fantasy. Not just to run away for a day, like today, but... forever. And not just on my own, or with your help, but the two of us...Those sorts of ideas are meant for cats who love each other, I think. I... don't quite know what love is. I know what it is to be devoted to a cat, to a Clan, to a Code, but love is still a bit of a stretch for me. But I think if any cat got the closest to my idea of love, it would be you. Goodness, I'm saying this and you're going to decide that I'd best go back to RiverClan, heh. I wouldn't blame you, if you did. It's one thing to wish for your admiration and the next to say that I've spent the majority of my life loving you. Wishing for your well-being, hoping that you were thinking about me, worrying for you when I didn't see you, simply wanting to have you near at night, curled up and warm together in one nest."

She looked shyly at him. "And now I fear I've crossed the line. I don't mean the RiverClan borderline, but the line between us. I'm a selfish cat, I think. To put these feelings on you when you never asked for them." She looked away, shame creeping into her expression. "I don't expect you to accept these feelings. I'm still trying to process them myself, I think. Today's been a whirlwind and everything's coming to the surface and I just blurt what I think... I hope I haven't troubled you too much, today. I'll-I'll go, if you want me to."

Split
He watched as Lostpath kneaded the ground as he spoke of Spirit and knew he was doing the right thing by omitting part about his relationship with her. It was true that he cared for Spirit. Weak and frail as she was, in all honesty she did make for decent company. Whisper, being his first kit and chimera, was very special to him. These were things better left unsaid around Lostpath though.

An unfamiliar pain shot through him as Lostpath compared his leaf bare companions to a family. Lostpath didn't know how right she was and it was because Split wasn't telling her the whole truth. He resisted the urge to tell her that he didn't have happy families, he only had broken families. Would he ever actually settle down and try to have a happy, not broken, family?

At the mentioning of the rabbit, Split got up and moved next to the striped she-cat. One bit was all he got in before Lostpath started again. It wasn't until after she had finished speaking that Split realized he'd forgotten to swallow his mouthful of rabbit. With an audiable gulp he swallowed his mouthful and stared at Lostpath in a stunned silence. It was his move now.

Just like with the rabbit they were eating, Lostpath had initiated the hunt. Now it was Spit's turn to make the catch. But was he ready for this? To fully admit his feelings? The reality of their lives? If she did runaway with him, just the two of them, could they have a happy family? No, Split knew it would never be so, he only had broken families.
"You are right, I am not a clan cat. Sadly, you are not a loner. We would never work out long term, our lives are to different." Split said, with a sadness clear in his voice. "But so you know, I did think of you. I wished for your health and safety." He paused to take a breath and laid his tail atop hers. "I worried about you too. I can't be the mighty clan cat you deserve and you can't be the loner I need but right now, we are here together. For me, that's enough. I know I can't have you even though I care for you. So being here with you now, is more than I could have hoped for and it's enough."

Lostpath
As he crept closer to get to the rabbit, she let her pelt brush against his, taking comfort in the fact that for the time being, he was here and he was hers. He wasn't helping any frail mother with her son and she wasn't taking care of her Clan. It was when he began to speak that she lowered her head and sighed. He was right. They wouldn't work out in the long term, but... she knew who she wanted for her long term.

ForestClan, don't punish me for wanting both, I beg of you. Just... let me have tonight and when I get back... let it all be as it has been so far, too. She prayed quietly, before she curled her tail around his, leaning closer to him.

"You're right." She mewed. "We are here, right now, together. And even if we can't last together, I'm sure that even after now, we shall continue to care for one another." She turned her gaze to his, so close that their noses were almost touching. She didn't lean away from him. "So, what's say we enjoy the time we have together, as I am to return tomorrow?" She proposed, raising her eyebrows in a quiet invitation. She had wanted to be close to him, to know him as she had never before and she was certainly getting that chance now. Unlike that rabbit, she had no intention of letting this chance flee beyond her reach.

Split
Split knew that Lostpath had already wormed her way into his heart. Though he might get annoyed with her from time to time due to misunderstandings, the tom honestly didn't think that Lostpath was capable of doing something that would make him stop caring for her. No matter what happened between them, he knew that his paws would always take him to the Riverclan boarder to check on her. Split assumed their future would be the same as their past, occasionally meeting on the boarder to check in with each other. They both knew they weren't right for each other but the connection was still there, or at least Split thought it was.

Right now, in this moment, he was hers and she was his and the future didn't matter. Lostpath was choosing to spend her time with him. His beautiful one-eyed, green marked, clan warrior.

With a light sigh, Split did something he rarely ever did. He looked into Lostpath's eye and smiled before leaning in to lick her cheek. "I always enjoy the time I have with you, even if I don't show it well." He whispered near her ear. "But I will try my best to make your stay in these woods tonight unforgettable."

And he did.

(Fin~)  

belloblossom

Aged Shapeshifter

17,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Roleplay

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash