User Image
Flamingrose was growing old, that was certain enough. He'd been a warrior for quite a while, long enough to have a kit who is already a full grown medicine cat, long enough to watch a few cats he'd known most his life retire. One of these cats was Badgerclaw, he had never been very close to any of his clanmates, and Badgerclaw was no exception, but... well... after the other tomcat retired soon after his kits became warriors, it got Flamingrose thinking. Should he retire as well? Could he retire? He'd lived a strange enough life, two dead kits, a dead mother for them, and one kit left.. who didn't seem to need him to protect her any longer. Ever since the death of his kittens, he had given all his life efforts in an attempt to protect the only cat he truly had left, but he was getting tired, and he knew soon enough he'd have to move on from obsessing over her safety.

Despite all signs pointing to his retire being the best option, part of his body still ached. It longed for battle, to protect his clanmates and daughter. He wanted to continue to feel the rush of running through the forest in a patrol, stalking prey beneath the trees. But how long until those actions begin to ache more than my want for them...? He thought to himself. He shook his head, blinking and looking up to the sky. It's around midday, he doesn't have any patrols for now... perhaps a talk with Badgerclaw is what he needs.

He rose from where he sat, padding off towards the Elders den, hoping to find the black and white cat inside. He didn't enter, just barley peeking his head into the den. "Badgerclaw?" He called inside, his voice was oddly deep and scratchy. It was almost as rough as his pelt and ears, littered with scars and tears.

(No elder Badgerclaw cert available )
Badgerclaw had a tricky time adjusting to the life of being an Elder, for the first few days. Moving out of the Warriors Den and away from Greyleaf was perhaps the hardest of it, and he often reminded her that now that their litter was grown, there was nothing preventing her from joining him as an Elder, so that they may cuddle up next to one another again. Beyond that, not going out and hunting, but seeing the Clan struggle was difficult. He should be apart of that. Had he retired too early?

But then he remembered Softfeather and her decision to change. He remembered all the stress he had felt, not being able to make clear-headed choices as well as he may have been able to as a younger tom. He thought about while he had once considered having many kits, now he was more than happy with his first and now last, litter. He took comfort in Brightstar's company, too. He was certain that had her sight not failed her, Brightstar would've continued to serve the Clan for many moons to come. She may still, as an Elder, telling stories about RockClan and the Great War to generations to come. He could do that too, he had realized. Even as an Elder, he still had a place in the Clan where he could be useful.

He was dozing off when Flamingrose's voice called to him. Nearly the same age as Badgerclaw, though they had never been particularly close, the dark warrior was surprised to see the ginger and spotted tomcat. Blinking his eyes open and stretching, feeling little pops! and snaps! as he did, he stood to approach the cat.

"Yes, Flamingrose! Good to see you." He glanced around the cat's paws, wondering if this was a visit that came with food, not that he needed it. They'd been brought something earlier that morning. Indeed, seeing nothing, he looked back up to the ginger tom with a smile. "What can I do for you?"

Flamingrose was surprised at the prompt answer, moving back a bit out of the entrance to give Badgerclaw room. That was much easier than he had anticipated. He blinked slowly. Of course it was easy, he's an elder, and your clanmate, what did you think, he was doing to hiss and call you an intruder? He reasoned with himself, shaking his head quickly and blinking more. He listened to the other cat speak, slowly relaxing as he did, his head sinking slightly and his shoulders losing their tense nature.

"Well, I was wondering if you'd like to come on a stroll with me.. I had some things to talk to you about.." He admitted, almost hesitant. The ever strong and stoic faced warrior seemed immensely unsure about his wording. After a long pause, he regained some of his confidence. "Or we could talk here, if you're not up for a walk around." Flamingrose added. He didn't want to push Badgerclaw on a difficult walk through the crowded forest just so he didn't feel uncomfortable. He didn't want any-cat to know he wanted to become an elder, but if he became an elder they'd all know anyway, so what's the point in running off to talk?

Badgerclaw grinned at the other tomcat with an easy smile.
"I'm not as old as Flinttuft, Flamingrose. I only retired recently, you know. I'm happy to take a walk with you." He replied with a spark of amusement in his eye as he moved passed the ginger tomcat to move out into the camp. "Though Greyleaf may get jealous." He joked. "Come, let's go feel the breeze in our pelts and gain some distance from the others here. I could use the leg stretch anyway." He mewed and bowed his head to Cloudshine as he passed her, purring to see her tackling the task of grooming her lovely mate, Brightheart and her heaps of fur. Turning his gaze back to Flamingrose, he lead the way out of the camp.

After he was certain that they were comfortably out of hearing distance of the others, he let out a sigh, his muscles relaxing.
"Alright, I think we're properly out of earshot, minus the occasional bug." He said, flicking an ant off his paw. "What did you wish to discuss with me?" He asked, looking at Flamingrose expectantly.

Flamingrose couldn't help a twinge of amusement at that, tilting his head with the scratchy rumble of a purr in his throat. "If you say so, Badgerclaw." He nodded. "Hopefully she won't be too antsy." He joked back softly. He'd never had a mate, should he do that before becoming an elder? No. No, his brains just coming up with excuses that are absolutely ludicrous at this point. He ignored his mind and padded slowly after Badgerclaw, watching the tom-cat with interest as he watched his daughter. A sweet family, huh? That's nice.

He had almost forgotten why they were going out in the first place, enjoying simply walking a little aways with company and not thinking about hunting or checking the borders, just a nice, calm walk. When Badgerclaw stopped and spoke, it brought him back to reality, and why he had come out here. He paused for a moment, thinking it over. There's no turning back this coversation now. He let himself fully relax, his head drooping down slightly. He felt tired, he hadn't done much interesting other than his kits, really, but his life had felt like it had been far too hectic. "I... Well, you see, Badgerclaw, I wanted to ask you about your retirement.. what you think of it.. if you believe it was the right choice." He mrowwed.

Badgerclaw watched the tomcat slowly, unsure of what he was being taken out here to discuss. It was certainly unusual for him, or maybe it was something that often happened to Elders and this would become his new norm. He didn't quite know. When finally the topic of conversation came out, Badgerclaw flicked his ears in surprise, before he smiled kindly at the other cat.

"Yes, Flamingrose, I wouldn't change my choice to become an Elder. I'm not meant to be a Warrior anymore. I am slowing down, both in wit and as we all tend to with old age." He stretched a paw out, flexing out his claws as he looked at it, before sheathing it again. "Though becoming an Elder has made me no less of who I am as a cat. I still wish to help my Clan and I can do so by teaching the younger generations that come to hear tales of the dogs in RockClan, or the catnip affair that followed." He laughed to himself. "Poor Goldenleaf, goodness, with a Medicine Cat..." He shook his head. "The forming of the Clans or the Great War... I have plenty to offer, even when I am unable to hunt for myself." He mewed his reply.

"And when it comes down to it, if we are to be faced with another fight in the camp, Elder or not, you can be assured that I will stand in front of the enemy and do my part to defend LightningClan to the end." He said, a fire in his eyes. "Just because we do not hunt or patrol, does not make us any less Warriors than those who can." He went on. "That's the conclusion I've come to, at any rate." He turned his gaze from the forest where it had strayed to, to Flamingrose once more. "I will go to Sparrowstar with you, if you are considering a similar career change." He offered gently.

Flamingrose listened intently, the ever tired tom-cat keeping his gaze locked on Badgerclaw as he spoke. He would occasionally nod his head in agreement. That seemed to make sense. He let out a slight snicker. "Those were interesting times.." He remarked softly. He remembered all such things, the most promininent in his mind being The Great War. He had fought beside all those that could, and that was the moment he was most proud of. He got to see one of his lost kittens, and now could see her whenever he pleased. Oh... how he wished he could see the third, lick their head and tell them everything would be alright.. but they're lost to time, now. He paused in his thoughts, realizing Badgerclaw was still speaking. Now was no time to be mourning, he had lost them long ago.

He raised his head slightly.. that was right, he could still fight, no cat could stop him if the rage of battle came to him, he'd stand up and fight, whether or not his body protested. A small spark of hope lit up his face. "Well... yes, I was considering it." He admitted. "My kit has been a medicine cat for quite a while now.. I don't suppose I need to hover over her any longer." He admitted, though, to himself, made a silent promise. If Sweetbriar ever needed him, he would throw himself into raging battle for her. He would gladly throw away whatever life he had remaining to protect her, no matter what. "I've spent much of my life protecting her, fighting, doing all I can.. and I was thinking it's about time I let myself rest."

Badgerclaw continued to listen to Flamingrose, nodding slowly when he admitted to thinking about retirement. He smiled at the mention of a kit and thought of the Medicine Cats they had. He'd forgotten that Sweetbriar was Flamingrose's kit. Maybe he was getting older than he'd thought.

"Sweetbriar, from what I've seen of her, is a very capable cat. She's followed Honeyfur's guidance well and learned much from her father as well." He mewed kindly. "You've done well by her, Flamingrose and of course you'll be there for her if she should ever need it. But you've served your time." He lay his tail against the warrior's flank and smiled at him. "I think you've more than earned a break." He assured the tomcat. "Let's return to camp, shall we? We can speak to Sparrowstar together and then I can show you the best spot in the den to avoid the wind." He suggested.

"She always was so talented." He purred softly as his daughter received praise from the elder. He was growing more and more content with his slow decision. Becoming an elder seemed to be the right choice. He nodded as the tom mentioned him being there for his kit- or.. she's not a kit any longer, huh. "Yes, you're right, I will be." Flamingrose smiled, his tail flickering softly.

"I think I'd like that, Badgerclaw." He turned slowly, glancing over at Badgerclaw to be sure he was following as Flamingrose began padding back towards the camp. It was time he let himself have a break and enjoy the moons he had left. Maybe, he thought, he could make some friends as he grew older. It wasn't too late to connect to the cats, he supposed. But, for now, he was going to take it one step at a time.