Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Private Homes
Yuggy Yam House Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:23 pm
Yuggy Yam House

User Image

This is the home of Ignatius and Kameron Hepburn, Yuhei Feng, and Yarrow Yu, located in South London, England.

This is a small two-story house jointly rented by Iggy and Kam Hepburn, Yuhei Feng, and Yarrow Yu. The house is in a quiet neighborhood, with a small herb garden on the side and enough room for a car in front. Behind the house are one of the many parks in the area.

The downstairs room has been converted into a study/ music room, and one of the downstairs water closets was stripped to make room for a book nook. Upstairs, Yuhei and Yang share the bathroom between Yuhei and Iggy's room; Iggy and Kam share the bathroom in Kam’s room. The twins’ rooms open out to the balcony.

Muggle Address: Wandsworth, South London, London,
Muggle phones any of their cell phones
Muggle post goes in the post box.

Floo Address: Rice Noodle House
Apparation to the living room. Please call ahead.
Owls can land on the balcony railing or post box.

Floor layout

User Image

User ImagexUser ImagexUser ImagexUser ImagexUser Image
Living room, Dining area, Kitchen, Bathroom, Book Nook

User ImagexUser ImagexUser ImagexUser Image
Iggy’s room, Kam’s room, Yuhei's room, Yang’s room

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:24 pm
Residents:

YUHEI FENG: Home / Work / People watching at the Cafe
IGNATIUS HEPBURN: Home / Ministry / Field Work
KAMERON HEPBURN: Home / Ministry / Hogsmeade
YARROW YU: Home/ St. Mungo’s / Hogsmeade  

addaellis

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:27 pm
User Image

• Rice vs Noodle. Everyone who enters the house must choose an alignment. (Based off the Associations rivalry at Long Jiang)
  • There is a dedicated noodle shelf of the pantry. Rice is not to be tolerated on the shelf.

• WIFI: Rice vs Noodle, password dumpl1ngsFTW
  • Languages spoken include English, Cantonese, Mandarin.
  • Instruments heard include piano, guitar, and guqin.

• Sootface, Iggy’s grey tabby cat, and Malto, Kam’s barn owl, are sock thieves. If missing a sock, please check Soot’s bed or Malto’s perch for culprits.
  • Min, Yuhei’s black cat, can be found loafing near windows, perched around Yuhei and Yang, or adding socks to Soot or Malto’s piles.
  • There is a running tally of who has stolen more socks. It is always a close race, although how much of this is due to Min's interference is uncertain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:10 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

seventh year || Changlong || muggleborn
Association of Noodle Enthusiasts || Future Healers Club || Dueling Club || Music Club

“Your father was in an accident. I’m sorry, but he didn’t make it.”

“He’s...gone?”

Her smile faded, the triumph and elation of graduation vanishing in an instant.

“What do you mean? I-I’m going to be a healer, I can--”

“He was killed by the impact,” they said quietly. “I’m sorry.”

Her voice was quiet and dead. “I want to see him.”

It was going to be okay, Yang told herself. The Muggle Liaisons employee from the Ministry apparated them to a ministry front, and they took a car to the coroner’s office. Yang stared at the sign, the characters burned into her retinas. She knew this building. She had been here 7 years ago.

“You’re here for David Yu? Right this way. Is this him?”
--------------------------------

“HOW. DARE. HE.” The apartment had been carefully soundproofed, although with the way Yang was screaming, she might have accidentally undone her own work.

She launched a wandless Flipendo at the wall, rattling the entire room. “SEVEN. YEARS. I strove to death for seven years. And these last three--every break was spent working extra hours, studying for exams, work--work--work--

“I should’ve spent more time with him.”

She collapsed into a sobbing mess into Yuhei’s shirt, her anger sublimed into guilt. “I should’ve spent more time with him. I should’ve come home every break, should’ve spent less hours with that ******** and come home early. The dueling range--what a joke! I knew I didn’t make enough to be actually useful, it was just to pay for day trips. Frivolous things. Dates! Ugh I wasted so much time!. Should’ve been cooking at home. Should’ve folded the laundry like he told me to. Should’ve kept my room clean. I was in the apartment for 3 months in a year and I couldn’t keep it--”

Her words turned into incomprehensible sobbing. Yuhei held her shoulders comfortingly.

“When I was in England last summer. He told me to look at the healing programs there. ‘You seemed to like England last time,’ he said. He always encouraged me to look beyond Hong Kong. Like...like Venice. He’d finally saved enough for Venice. We were going to go in October, after I finished the internship and hopefully got an assignment. We were going to celebrate. We...we already have the plane tickets booked.”

She stared at the photo of her mom on the cabinet. “It...it just struck me that neither of them got to see Venice.”

”Kam?” Yang’s voice was hoarse. She glanced at the clock: 05:00. That meant 22:00 in England, right? “Thanks for picking up. Um. So today was a day. Graduation was… a thing.” She babbled a little on the graduation ceremony for a while, but it was clear she was distracted and putting off anything after. Finally, prompted so, she said with a little sigh.

“My dad was killed in a car crash. The people in the car are saying they had a green light and he just jaywalked across the street. I’ve never known my dad to jaywalk, but it’s five people in that car vs a corpse so there’s not really an argument. There’s a homeless lady that’s taking their side, although her story keeps changing.” Yang sighed, and immediately sounded ten years older. “Anyways, I’ve been caught up talking to the police and coroner’s. The funeral’s next week. I’ll sort out the will on Friday.”

Yang sank into her usual chair. She happened to glance up to see her dad’s chair. Empty. As it would be from now on. “It’s been a long day.”

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Yuhei in the other room, Kam on the phone
wearing graduation dress || status Well today sucked.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

I could never find the right way to tell you
Have you noticed I've been gone?
'Cause I left behind the home that you made me
But I will carry it along
✾❈
~"Shelter" by Porter Robinson, cover by Akane Sasu Sora.

addaellis

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

Association of Noodle Enthusiasts || Future Healers Club || Dueling Club || Music Club

Yangqiao had forgotten how much she hated funerals. Last time, she had stood next to her dad and held his hand through the entire thing. She had barely cried, and wiped those tears away angrily. Her dad had sobbed through the entire thing, barely coherent as he thanked their coworkers for coming. He’d only let go of Yang’s hand once, at the end, to hug three old elders with holes in their teeth and ragged blankets for clothes. ”Thank you” he repeated to them, hugging them then bowing and placing his head at their feet. ”Thank you, thank you.” They had gotten drinks and lunch with them after that, and it was the only time in the next six months that Yang remembered an expression other than utter despair on her father’s face.

This time, Yang sat with Yuhei next to her the entire time, her hands curled into fists. She listened to Mr. Wei, her dad’s best friend, recount their misadventures in college and the hard days afterwards-- stories she’d never heard from the man himself. She delivered her own eulogy, which felt like it was more about her mother than him. She had tears in her eyes and her entire body shook, but she kept it out of her voice and pushed through it. She bowed her head to the ground three times, and kissed him goodnight one last time.

The parade took them to the cremation centre for the final goodbye. She thanked his coworkers and friends who had attended, only half of whom she really knew, for coming.Then there was the waiting. Wei and Yuhei stayed with her, and the three of them sat at a broken table in the temple’s tea room. The conversation was casual enough--she asked Wei about more of those stories, told him when she was settling the accounts, and told him vaguely about her time at “boarding school”. Graduation seemed so long ago. Then the attendant came to get her and Yang waited alone in the hallway outside the cremation room. She moved a piece of bone into the urn. ”Welcome to the new home, dad.”

As Yu Chengwong’s only surviving family, Yangqiao moved all the pieces of bone herself to the urn. She worked quickly but deliberately, mentally recounting their memories together as she worked. The monk made to seal it--

“Wait,” she said suddenly, staring at the deep red color of the urn that was all she would have left of him. “Can I take a few ashes, to sprinkle where he’d always wanted to go?”

The monk agreed, and helped her gather a few ashes to a pouch. Then the urn was sealed. She carried the urn, and Mr. Wei carried a photo of her father.

“Thank you, for being here with me,” she told the older man in the car. “And for acting as his family.”

Yang had wanted to give the urn to the three old men that had been at her mother’s funeral. Her father had known them and seemed to meet for New Years occasionally. At least then her parents would be together in death. But Yang didn’t know them or how to contact them. So her father’s urn was placed on a shelf over his chair, and the wine that had been there before was opened for them to drink.

The wine had been placed up there when her mother died. Her dad used to joke that if he lost his job they could sell the wine and be able to pay rent for a month or so, but Yang knew he could never actually do that. Yang decided she didn’t like red wine. It tasted too much like tears.

“The people in the car. They’re filing for injuries. Three cases of whiplash, a twisted neck, and five counts of psychological trauma.” Before the funeral, Yang had always sounded tired when she spoke of the events after graduation. Now though, there was something agitated and fierce in her voice. Indignance replaced resignation. “Oh and of course something about their car being damaged when they hit a person, then swerved into the road divider. Of course, we don’t have a car. His health insurance isn’t going to pay for it because...he’s dead, and the funds from the life insurance are frozen because, tada, I apparently have paternal grandparents and they want a stake on that sweet life insurance money. I didn’t even know my dad had life insurance! I didn’t even know I had living grandparents! Where the actual ******** have I been living all these years?”

Yang remembered the funeral again, and hearing all the stories for the first time. After he was gone. ”Apparently I just don’t know anything about my dad.”

She sighed, sullen again. She was disappointed to tell Kam this next piece of news, remembering how he prioritized and prized education. “Kam, I..I resigned my healing internship today. They start training tomorrow and if the life insurance doesn’t come through, I wouldn’t even be able to make rent. They said I could apply again next year, but warned the competitions probably too aggressive to just defer.”

Yang sank onto the couch that had doubled as her father’s couch bed when he was alive and stared at ”I’m so tired of paperwork. So tired of money. So tired of all these logistics. It feels dirty and disingenuous, and...well, it just feels like I never even knew my parents at all.”

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Yuhei in the other room, Kam on the phone
wearing black || status I'm so...tired

I turn another page of my biography
And all the mysteries begin to fall in place
I wonder why I wasted so much precious time
I'd never find my life inside this cluttered room
✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:35 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⇴ Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Hong Kong
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? No One Yet...
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Running to Help
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? I really hope this is the right place

Kam was wholly stressed out. Ever since he'd gotten Yang's call a week prior he'd been struggling to figure out what to do. He didn't want to tell his parents, and he wasn't sure about telling Iggy. Iggy would probably have something to say on the subject, but he wasn't even sure how to address it. After a few days of sleepless nights and restless thoughts, he decided on a plan. Probably not a good plan, but it would work for now. He went to the Ministry and pleaded the case for international portkey travel, then came home, a softly glowing hairbrush tucked safely in a box. He set the box in his closet then started packing a bag. Thank Merlin he could do magic without trouble because it made packing a lot easier. There. Now if Yang needed him, he'd be fine.

A few days later brought out another call. The recent grad hurried into his room as fast as possible, sliding a bit on his socks as he slammed the door and dove into his bed for the phone. "Yang! There you are! I've been so worried!" He fell quiet, letting her speak. The people were trying to claim injuries? And car damage? Admittedly, Kam could see both being true, but what jerks to do that! And then dropped a bombshell. Her dad's parents were alive and well... and apparently they wanted money too. "Oh Yang, I know it's hard, but we'll figure it out. We... we can think of something." He glanced at his closet, knowing the box was just beckoning him to come closer.

His thoughts didn't settle until she said she'd had to give up her internship. She just sounded so broken. He tried his best to console her, promising again that he'd be there for her no matter what. After the call ended, he hurried into Iggy's room and carefully closed the door, sealing the room in silence. He had been crying and it would be very evident, especially to his brother. "Igs, I need... He stopped to try and calm himself down, even a bit. "I need your help. Yang... Yang needs me. I have to go, but I can't tell mum and dad. I'll.... I'll deal with my interview, it's not until next week anyway but..." He took a deep breath, staring right into his brother's eyes. "I need you to cover my arse. Please, Iggy. I need you."

--------------------oOoOoOoOo--------------------

As soon as Iggy agreed to help, Kam went back to his room and got dressed. He carefully wrote Yang's address and phone number down, just in case, tucking the slip into his pocket. He made sure he had everything packed, then slipped the backpack onto his back. He grabbed his phone and keys, then lifted the box from the closet and set it on his desk. It was time. He grabbed the hairbrush and felt his feet leave the floor. When he was steady again, he was way far away from home. Now... he just had to get to Yang's place. No problem at all. He pulled out his phone, then realized his parents didn't opt for international coverage. Crap.

He did his best to talk to people in his limited Chinese, finally finding a shopkeep that knew just enough English for them to make it work. Writing down the directions, he set off on the journey. Finally, he found the apartments, buuuuuuut there were two. Oh shoot. Finding another person to help, he made it to the correct building. Going up to the 13th floor, he hurried down to unit 43. He carefully straightened his outfit and fixed his hair before knocking on the door.

addaellis

Kungfudemoness

Bʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅs ᴀʀᴇ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ᴍᴇ, I ɴᴏᴡ ᴄᴀɴ sᴇᴇ ᴀʜᴇᴀᴅ. Oꜰᴛᴇɴ I ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀ ᴡʜʏ I ᴛʀʏ ʜᴏᴘɪɴɢ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴅ
Sᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴡᴇɪɢʜs ᴍʏ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅᴇʀs ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛs ᴍʏ ᴍɪɴᴅ
Bᴜᴛ I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ɴᴏᴛ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅᴇʀ
Iᴛ's ᴛʀᴜᴇ, I'ᴠᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ! A ʙʀɪɢʜᴛᴇʀ ᴅᴀʏ ɪs ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴍʏ ᴡᴀʏ
Tᴏᴅᴀʏ I'ᴠᴇ ᴄʀɪᴇᴅ ᴀ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴛᴇᴀʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴀɪɴ ɪs ɪɴ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ
Aʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴍᴇ ʟɪᴇs ᴀ sᴏᴍʙᴇʀ sᴄᴇɴᴇ, I ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴛᴀʀᴛ
Bᴜᴛ I ꜰᴇᴇʟ ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ ᴏɴ ᴍʏ sᴋɪɴ, ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴀʟɪɢɴᴇᴅ
Tʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴅ ʜᴀs ʙʟᴏᴡɴ, ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴡ I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅᴇʀ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

Kam reassured her that they’d figure something out. Yang nodded miserably, glad she at least didn’t have to stand on ceremony with him. Kam might have been on the other side of the planet, but sometimes it felt like he was a fellow classmate.

Yang had just ended the call with Kam when Yuhei’s lawyer called. There might be something they could work out. Drawing a deep breath, Yang tidied her appearance, did her best to neaten up the apartment--which mostly meant throwing everything on the coffee table into her room.

Half an hour later, she was welcoming her grandparents into the room. She tried to be polite. She didn’t know these people. She might have heard they wanted a claim, but Yuhei’s lawyer said they had been willing to negotiate.

”Nai nai, yie yie. Huanying.” Grandma, Grandpa, Welcome. She wasn’t supposed to have guests over after a death, but..well, it seemed that tradition was out the window.

Her grandmother glared imperiously at Yang in greeting. She looks like her, she declared, then swept in to inspect the apartment. Yang stood around awkwardly as they took the couch, before her grandfather indicated her mother’s seat. Sit. Yang started to explain that they usually left empty--She’s been dead for years. Sit.

Grandparents. People she had never heard about except that they “didn’t exist anymore”. Yang had always understood that as they had passed away. There were no pictures of her father’s parents in the wedding pictures after all. But now that was apparently because they had refused to talk to him for marrying her mother. They seemed upset Yang hadn’t told them about the funeral. She apologized. She hadn’t known they existed.

They grilled her about going to a “fancy boarding school” and not having a boyfriend or job lined up yet, questioned her studies and made it clear they were doing her a favor by not making a heavier claim on the money in question. They wanted to take the urn with his remains, to place with his family. With no idea where her mother’s was anyways, Yang agreed reluctantly, so long as she was allowed to go to see it whenever she wanted. They refused. They didn't come to an agreement.

She asked if they had known she existed, as she hadn’t known they had. They did, of course, they just couldn’t accept the spawn of that dirt maggot. Ah, her mother. That seemed to be most of their complaints.

Yangqiao was about to ask what exactly the ******** was their problem with her mother when suddenly a knock interrupted the apartment. Yang almost sighed audibly. Excuse me, that must be my lawyer.

She checked the peephole and then blinked in confusion before opening the door. ”Kam? What are you doing here?”

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Grandparents at the table, Kam at the door
wearing black || status Surprise Grandparents and a Surprise Kam?!

✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Yang
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? What if she hates me???

Kam waited nervously for the door to open, hoping he found the right place. While his breath was bated, he grit his teeth before finally, mercifully, the door was opened. Sure enough, it was Yang standing on the other side, looking ever dapper. He'd opted to wear nice slacks with a button down shirt, tie, and a soft sweater over the ensemble. He released his held breath, offering a nervous smile. H-hey, Yang. Sorry I didn't call or... think this through well at all, but you just sounded so hurt and I figured you really needed a friend. And I wanted to be there for you. Plus, I borrowed some books on laws in China to try and help."

He looked over at her, brown eyes betraying his worry. What if she was mad that he showed up? What if she never wanted to talk to him again?! His brain started running a mile a minute, panic setting in. Why had he come? He never once acted so impulsively, including the time he broke ties with Iggy. It wasn't in his personality to be wild and crazy, yet here he was, in China after not a moment's hesitation. The brunette swallowed a lump in his throat, instinctively biting the inside of his lip. He had to know he hadn't ruined everything forever.

addaellis

Bʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅs ᴀʀᴇ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ᴍᴇ, I ɴᴏᴡ ᴄᴀɴ sᴇᴇ ᴀʜᴇᴀᴅ. Oꜰᴛᴇɴ I ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀ ᴡʜʏ I ᴛʀʏ ʜᴏᴘɪɴɢ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴅ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:14 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

Yang wasn't sure if she was hallucinating. She'd just gotten off a call with Kam a few hours ago. He lived in England. This was Hong Kong. She stared at the boy in front of her for a moment as he stumbled through an explanation. Looked like a Kam, talked like a Kam..."Kam! Thank you for coming," she said, throwing her arms around him and hugging him for a moment. She had some inkling that he might've used a portkey--but she'd question where he got it later.

"Yangqiao, who is that?"

Oh, right. Yang's face fell back into a dull expression and she beckoned Kam in. "You caught us as my grandparents were here for a...fascinating discussion." she murmured. A few steps forward, she spoke up. "Grandpa, Grandma, this is Kam Hepburn, my friend from England. Kam, these are my dad's par--"

"How do you know this white trash?" her grandmother demanded, voice harsh and openly glaring. "Who is he for you to just jump on him?"

Next to her, grandpa examined Kam's well-dressed appearance with appraisal. "Hello," he said in heavily accented English. "He looks well-off. A godfather?"

Yang bit back her indignance and tried to ignore the obvious jeers, but she was already pissed they insulted her mother, and now these insults at Kam? She glanced awkwardly over at Kam, knowing he knew more Chinese than they might expect, but not sure how much he understood. "Uh, It might be a while, so you could hang out in my room..." She started to say, but her grandmother was talking again and Yang trailed off at her accusations.

"Went to a fancy boarding school, doesn't have a job, dating some foreigner. What are you thinking?"

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Grandparents sitting, Kam standing with me
wearing black || status Surprise Grandparents and Surprise Kam!

Miss GryffindorK

✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:40 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Yang & Crappy Grandparents
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? I will defend!

Kam wrapped his arms around Yang when she hugged him, grinning as she greeted him. He was about to reply when an unfamiliar voice chimed in from the flat. Why hadn't he stopped to make sure he wouldn't be interrupting!? Surely she'd be upset with him for barging in! He followed the girl into the room, spotting two older folks. Perhaps they were the mystery grandparents she'd mentioned over the phone? Just in case they were, he straightened his back, trying to appear taller and perhaps, more stoic. He listened as Yang spoke in her native tongue, introducing him and confirming his theory.

Before Kam got a chance to introduce himself in Chinese, the older woman aggressively called him white trash and chastised Yang for hugging him. What a mean old bat! He was about to let himself be rude when the man greeted him, and Kam nodded a bit. "Hello to you as well. It's a pleasure to meet you both." The man seemed to look him over, then called him well-off. Hahahahaha no, not really. He glanced over and noticed Yang getting frustrated, so he gently set a hand on her shoulder, hoping to be reassuring.

It wasn't until Yang's bitter old grandmother commented on Yang that Kam couldn't hold his temper. In his very best accent, the very British teen spoke up. "A pleasure to meet you, but I will have to ask you stop speaking about Yangqiao in such rude words." There. Hopefully he'd set them straight AND prove that he understood all their insults. He was still weirded out by her grandfather's comments, but he was pretty sure he mistranslated... probably. Otherwise, it was a weird comment.

{{OoC: Also using Italics for Chinese b/c can't be bothered to translate myself}}
addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

Yangqiao could hardly suppress her laugh when Kam, told them to get off her back. As it was, she had an unmistakable smirk--half touched, half triumphant, and all proud of Kam. She straightened up a little herself.

Her grandma responded with anger, snapping that Yang should have told them Kam understood Chinese, and accusing them both of being deceptive. Grandpa though, raised a curious and calculating eyebrow and invited Kam to sit and "Your accent is surprisingly understandable! Tell me, what is your relationship? How long have you been dating?"

Yang was hoping for a peaceable conversation after Kam demonstrated he understood them quite well. But it became quickly apparent that all her grandfather was interested in what kind of work Kam did and how much he made. She tried to help, jumping in to change the topic or answer-- "What? He can understand, can't he? Let your friend speak."

"But--"

She was tired of this farce, and she was tired of entertaining their insults. Alright. Yang shot Kam an apologetic look, trying to convey how sorry she was for this abuse, but also her absolute confidence that he was fantastic. She turned a dead stare back in warning to the older people. One more word out of line...She was remembering a blood curse they’d discussed one year in History. She had her books right next door. Maybe she would look it up.

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Grandparents sitting, Kam standing with me
wearing black || status Yeah, you heard him.

Miss GryffindorK

✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:43 am
User ImageUser Image
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Yang & Crappy Grandparents
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? I will defend!

Kam watched Yang's grandparents, some primal instinct telling him he had to protect her. Immediately, the older woman chimed in, berating Yang for not telling her he knew Chinese. Kam wanted to comment back that she shouldn't have assumed, but his train of thought switched tracks when the older man invited him to sit. Glancing over at Yang, he took the invitation, carefully straightening his sweater. The chain of his pocket watch jingled slightly, so he made sure it hadn't fallen free of its pocket. Yang's Grandfather spoke, telling Kam his accent was pretty good, then asking how long.... something. Shoot. It came to a word he wasn't sure of. Crap. He looked over at the girl beside him, then decided he'd just do his best. "Thank you, I've been working hard to study your language, though I'm better in writing it." Now to figure out his second question. Clearly it was about him and Yang, but had he asked about their friendship? He was pretty sure that was right. "We have been on 3 years now? A long while." There, that sounded... good. Probably.

After managing that, the older man turned to question him about his line of work, his finances, and everything in between. Kam had discovered that the man was clearly after a rich person, probably to exploit them. They were already trying to exploit poor Yang out of her father's insurance settlement. The girl made a move to cease the conversation, but Kam sent her a subtle wink before responding to the man. "I am an apprentice for law. I'll be a lawyer soon enough, don't worry. As for my finances, I make plenty, thought it does not matter to you." His voice, despite the language difference, seemed to take on the same sharp tone his mum took when scolding the twins. If he wanted to treat them like children, Kam would grant that request. The older couple appeared to be a greedy, slimy sort, so Kam had no problem being curt with them. He'd never be outright rude, but that's just how he was raised.

{{OoC: Also using Italics for Chinese b/c can't be bothered to translate myself}}
addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

Yang bit her tongue as she listened to the interrogation. She wasn't a young heiress trained in the art of dinner table politics, but her grandparents weren’t particularly keen on hiding their disdain. They seemed impressed he was going into law. They laughed a little when Kam answered they’d been together for 3 years and glanced over at her. Yang was suddenly very upset at herself for mentioning earlier she had had a boyfriend but broke up because the other boy was cheating. They went from calling her a fool half an hour ago to Well, well, it seems the daughter is like her mother.

He seems to be taking this pretty seriously for a godfather. Is this what they taught you at your boarding school?

How to seduce white devils, for ghosts and their demon daughters.

Yangqiao squashed her temper. Insults against her could brush off. Kam seemed more than capable of dealing with subtle jabs against him, even in another language. But she had spent all week learning that the dead never defended themselves, and the last half hour and a half defending the dead to people that dared to call themselves family after 17 years without so much as a “hello”. Half of her wanted to demonstrate exactly what she learned at her “fancy boarding school”. The other half, inspired in part by Kam’s cool responses, remembered there was indeed a Statue of Secrecy and jinxing or cursing them would not make her case any better. I think we’re done talking for today. You can leave, and I’ll have my lawyer settle things with you.”

What did you say?

She’d paused to draw breath, and there was the start of a comment about respect.

We’ve gotten off track. Like Kam said, these are topics that don’t matter to you. We’ve already discussed the other matters and haven’t come to a conclusion. Let’s leave it for the lawyers to decide.

Grandpa looked like she was about to speak again, but Grandma stopped him. Alright. If you want to rely on outsiders, our lawyer can settle this. But you'll pay a steep price for it. She reached for the urn and Yang darted her hand down between them, more than a little magic in the force of her hand.

Didn’t you say? My mother and I were always outsiders.

The moment they were out the door, Yang whirled to her friend. ”Kam. I’m so sorry, I should have done that so much earlier.” She sighed, hugging her friend again before moving to the kitchen to offer food or at least a cup for tea. ”Sorry. You come halfway around the world and have to put up with a racist b***h and a golddigger. ”

She stopped, realizing that for the two times she’d been in England, Kam was now in Hong Kong. ”You haven’t had breakfast yet, have you? Give me a sec to call Yuhei’s lawyer about what happened and I’ll show you the best place to get sweet soymilk and fried donuts, deal? You need food and I need some air.”

wearing black || status ******** you both and get out of my house.

Some explanations because I actually thought this through somewhat XD The word for ghost/ demon/ devil is the same, and it's the same phrase used in a derogatory term for white men "guilao" literally "ghost man". It also sounds similar to the word for expensive (third tone vs fourth tone); I used "steep price" because it made more sense in the English flow. And finally, since the whole insult had to do with outsiders and grandparents have been othering Yang's mom the whole time anyways, that last part is meant to basically be like "we're not family"/ "you're the ones that aren't family here."

also fried donuts was the translation I found, but it's basically this delicious thing
italics = in chinese

Miss GryffindorK

✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Yang
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Preparing for the Day
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? I don't like those old people at all

Kam bit his lip when he realized that his words did not have the intended affect. Oh boy. He looked at Yang, brown eyes apologizing for the mess he'd clearly caused. They scolded her for being like her mother, which caused Kam to grit his teeth. Following that, grandfather dude asked about boarding school, then the witchy old lady responded that Yang was seducing a "white devil". There was no way that was the right translation. .... Right?

After a second, Yang scolded the elders right back, telling them to leave. Good for her. Oh boy, would he need to be "security" in case they wouldn't? He glanced at his thin frame, wishing he had Vinny to be backup. Vinny, despite his heart of gold, would likely terrify these old crones. And if not him, Aeryn for sure. She scared everyone, especially when tired... or hungry... or happy. Honestly Kam couldn't tell her moods.

A few moments later, the old people were out of the apartment, leaving just Kam, Yang, and a weird sensation of tension. Kam wrapped his arms around Yang when she quickly apologized. "No, hey, it's no problem. That was... interesting. I think I mistranslated a few things in there, and I'm sorry it caused trouble. I'm still working on Chinese." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck, ears turning red with a blush. She then asked if he'd been fed, then said they could go out for breakfast... sorta. It was mid afternoon here. "I ate a bagel before you called, but I'd sure like some more. I really want to learn more about your home, and food is one of the best ways to do that! Whatever you want me to try, I will.... unless it's eggs." He laughed, smiling over at the girl.

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 pm

User Image❈✾
YANGQIAO YARROW YU

”No, no you did everything perfectly! They’re just being jerks.” Yang emphasized, looking at Kam seriously. He agreed to breakfast and Yang relaxed a little. He almost got a smile out of her with the egg comment. ”You’re missing out, but yeah, we can do without eggs,” she replied.

One call that involved a few sighs and reassurances later, Yang hung up and grabbed her keys. She was glad the conversation hadn’t come to blows, but she still really felt like punching something. Luckily, Kam was here to provide a more clear head on the matter. She sent a text to Yuhei in case he was free to join, and led the way. ”So. Assuming this place is still open, we’re getting you tiao and soymilk and a bunch of snacks. If not, then we’ll get you beef noodle soup. You’re in for a treat either way.”

A few days later, Yang hung up the phone a few hours after dinner. She looked up at Kam. ”Everything’s done,” she said flatly. ”The life insurance wrote the grandparents a check and paid the family’s car insurance and the funeral home with the rest. Everything else is mine: what was left in his accounts, the keys here. Yuhei’s lawyer just called to say everything was finalized.”

She sank to the floor gently, her eyes lost somewhere along the walls. ”I miss my dad. Every time I get off a call I keep turning around like he’s going to come walking in the door like any other day after work. He’d just be cooking dinner, or joking with you.”

She should have spent more time with him. She wished she could remember what they talked about, but the only things that were coming to mind were stupid things: arguments about how much soy sauce belonged in beef noodle soup, jokes about what was going on at the restaurant or at schol, exasperated discussions of what the heck was Quidditch and why did he think it was so cool? Dreams--plans for Venice. Her dad told her over and over how her mother and him had always planned on going to Venice for a week: They’d go in April or October when the weather was good but the tourist season wasn’t that busy, cruise through the canals with a glass of wine and explore all the sights.

She glanced around the small apartment, which was suddenly too large and too full of memories for one person to live alone, and chanced upon the poster of Venice, with “October 2049” written in excited red sharpie. Yang stood up, plucking the plane ticket receipts out of the envelope. ”Hey Kam, since you’ve recent experience-- do portkeys cost less than plane tickets?”

setting Home/ the Apartment in Hong Kong || with Kam
wearing black (left) with black slacks || status That's it. Everything's just...done.

Miss GryffindorK

✾❈
~"Hysteria" by Nano.

Private Homes

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff