User ImageUser Image

""When I was born into the world, it was with the name Thunderkit. That's right, I was a Clan cat. Born into LightningClan, my mother gave me that name hoping I would go on to be a great warrior and the leader of the Clan one day. You see my father, he was the deputy of LightningClan. I was his only kit-funny thing that, you see. My mother was so certain there would be a large litter, but the medicine cat announced that despite her plump figure, that there was only one kit growing in her. Sure enough, I was born a large kitten." Steven chuckled and continued. "Because I was born large, I tended to play with the older kits and occasionally the apprentices of the Clan. My father was busy, of course, but he would take the time to see that I was learning skills even before I was apprenticed.

By the time I was apprenticed it was to a she-cat named Cloudheart. She was a kind she-cat who was infinitely loyal. She had a mate, Mistyeyes and they were utterly in love, even more so than my parents. Mistyeyes would be waiting for my mentor after every training session with prey in his mouth and a smile on his maw. I remember thinking it was all mushy stuff at the time. Little did I know how wonderful loving someone that much could be.

Cloudheart was a good mentor. She saw me through my first battle as an apprentice, a border squabble with RockClan. I was 9 moons at the time. She fought by my side the whole time. I thought I would be her apprentice forever, but half a moon later, she was moved into the Nursery. As a result, I got Pinefrost as my mentor. It was a hard adjustment. Pinefrost demanded perfection from me. I was giving it my all, I was trying my best, but he seemed to see only fault within me, while Cloudheart had only been proud of me. He delayed my warrior ceremony until I got everything right by his standards."
He growled a little, but forced a smile. "I was 19 moons old when he finally let Shatteredstar give me my warrior ceremony. I was Thundercall and my parents, they were so proud. Cloudheart was proud too, her kits, Softkit and Greykit having been born by then. I think, even Pinefrost was proud of me, in his own way." A purr replaced the growl in his throat as memories turned positive.

"Everything was so much more exhilarating as a warrior. I felt like I could go where I wanted. I went on patrols and I hunted for my Clanmates. I fell in love with a Clanmate and she fell in love with me. I lost my father due to a bout of greencough and Brightsong was appointed the deputy in his stead, but.. For the most part, everything seemed to be alright." He lowered his eyes, a shadow coming across his features. "Then the dogs came. They ransacked RockClan and all who attended the patrol to go to RiverClan's aid. My dear sweet Violetfeather, my mother, Rainspring... Pinefrost, Cloudheart and Mistyeyes... we all ran to defend RockClan, for there had to be two Clans. in the forest for there to be balance. But during that battle, there was no balance, there was only bloodshed." He closed his eyes to try to block out the visions of bodies in front of him, but that only made it more vivid and his eyes flashed open wide. "Violetfeather went first, my dear, precious Violetfeather. She fought like a lion that day. I was too busy mourning her, my body crouched over hers that I didn't protect my other Clan mates. It wasn't until I was being dragged off to the other side of the border, away from Violetfeather, that I realized how many we had lost. Nearly everyone who had gone, had been killed in the battle. Cloudheart returned, but she was badly injured and only had enough time to say goodbye to her daughters before she joined StarClan. Pinefrost was alive when we crossed the border, but dead by the time we got to camp. I didn't even realize he had a mate waiting for him, to mourn his loss. Shellwhisper threw herself over his unmoving form, like I had with Violetfeather. Rainspring was dead. The Clan was shaken. I heard rumors that we were going to allow RockClan entry into the Clan. I couldn't imagine it. There were meant to be two clans, not a large merged one... StarClan must have already foretold this event and punished LightningClan with so many deaths when we ran to help..." Steve shook his head. "I wasn't thinking clearly. And in not thinking clearly, but knowing that all the cats that I'd grown up with and close to were dead, that those I held most dear to me were gone... I couldn't handle it. So I ran away. I left my warrior name and life behind me." Steve stopped and let out a weary sigh.

"Well? What happened then? Did you die?" Rosewood asked, and Steve looked at her with a blank look. She ducked her head."Oh, of course you didn't die. You're still alive. Heh... But what happened next?"She asked, standing again in her eagerness, but the loner shook his head.

"No more stories tonight, little Rosewood. The sun will be rising soon and I am tired. Let us both get some rest. You can... come back tomorrow for the second half of my story." Rosewood scrunched up her nose, but she nodded.

"Okaaaaay." She agreed."Well, I'll see you tomorrow then!" She announced and pranced off. "I hope it's a happier story tomorrow."

Steve watched her leave and then curled up. He wished it was a happier story too.