It had been many, many moons since the passing of her beloved Badgerclaw. It had seemed no matter her age before she was always so full of life and energy, and all that had drained from her instantly as she lost that thread. Overwhelmingly alone, all while surrounded by cats.
She never got the chance to relax and curl up with Badgerclaw in the elders den as she'd promised so long ago

Oh, but that was then. Now is now, the world keeps turning, patrols keep going. Despite everything she attended every gathering she could, placing herself right where the two of them had laid that day. She started offering smiled to passing cats again, sneaking off to trot alongside the morning patrols despite the fact she knew she'd slow them down with her tired body. She was never quite the same, but she was better and better.

One of the main reasons for this being her kits. They were grown when their father passed, but they would always be her babies. She pushed through anything for them. Today, was no different.

She could feel the heaviness in her fur as she pushed herself from the elders den with a soft sigh. Although, the moment she reached view of her clanmates she was happily trotting along.

With nothing much to do, she chose to head and see what lay remaining in the kill pile. She'd long lost most her appetite, She mostly went to hopefully catch one of her little kits passing by.

Perhaps she'd get lucky today and get to chat with someone a bit longer than usual.
@belloblossom

belloblossom — 01/21/2022
Cloudshine had been through so much since her father's passing and her mother's initial mental health decline. If anything, it had put the young she-cat on a big health kick and she tried to ensure that she and her loved ones could all remain healthy and safe. A large part of that, naturally, was making sure that everyone was eating well. As a result, it was unsurprising that she would be found by the fresh kill pile early in the morning, picking up prey and bringing it to Brightheart, her mate, her siblings, Magpiesong and Torrentswipe, and for her mother, Greyleaf. Usually, she'd get there before Greyleaf had the opportunity to leave her nest, but today she'd been uncharacteristically lazy, curling into her mate's soft fur and feeling her comforting warmth. It had taken her a long while to actually wake up and then to get up that morning.

Thus, when she got out into the camp and saw her mother already at the fresh kill pile, her eyes turned apologetic and she hurried over to her mother.
"Greyleaf! Good morning." She called to her with a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry, I would've got you something, I, uh, slept in." She shook her head in mock exasperation. "Brightheart is too cozy for her own good, honestly!" She said and then looked around. It didn't look like many of the other warriors were up yet, she certainly didn't see her brothers out and about. Surely... for one day they could get their own prey without some manner of disaster occurring?

"Tell you what, to make it up to you, I'll get you something fresh. You can come along, if you'd like? It's been a while since it's been just the two of us." She suggested. @astralboy

astralboy — 01/21/2022
Greyleaf was quite slowly pawing around at the pile, not a clue really what to do. Ah, did she even want anything? Yes.. no, no she didn't.. that didn't look appetizing.. but she- and, thankfully, her trail of thought was cut off as she heard her name.

Raising her gaze to see her daughter rushing over, a soft purr rose in her chest. "Cloudshine, hello! Goodmorning, little star light." Taking a step towards her daughter. "Oh, you have nothing to be sorry for. I can't have you taking care of me every morning, now can I?"

She couldn't help but feel a rise of pride as Cloudshine mentioned her mate. "That brighthearts done well! She best be treating you well." She chimed. Though she had no doubt her cloudshine was well taken care of. "I would love to go with you, so long as you don't mind walking a bit slow! I'm not as fast as I was at your age, of course."
@belloblossom

belloblossom — 01/21/2022
Cloudshine purred warmly when her mother addressed her both in name, and in pet name. She pushed forward to touch her nose against Greyleaf's briefly, before pulling away with a twitch of her whiskers.

"Um, actually you can." She replied. "You're so old now, you ought to leave it to your young daughter to take care of you." She purred a laugh. "I know you can take care of yourself, Greyleaf, I'm just teasing. But you can lean on me, I hope you know." She said and then got to her paws with a nod.

"Of course she is. She's brought so much brightness to my life, no, erm, joke intended there." She shook her head - part of her late father's influence perhaps? He had a way with words, though usually it was on the romantic light, not the comedic. At least, not that Cloudshine could recall. She dipped her head to her mother when Greyleaf accepted her offer. "I'm happy to walk at any pace you like, the slower the better though, as I'm sure it'll put some of the prey at eerie ease. Trick them into thinking that we're merely out for a walk, you know?" She winked at her mother and then started off. "If I really find you lagging behind, I'll just run circles around anyway. Revisit the good ol' times of when I had boundless kit energy." She reflected with a grin and moved towards the camp entrance, checking over her shoulder frequently for Greyleaf.

When they'd cleared the distance and were out in the forest, she turned her head back towards her mother and waited until she was walking beside the silver tabby.
"Were you ever such a handful for your parents as my brothers and I were for you and Badgerclaw?" She inquired. "Or did Softfeather make all the trouble in the family?" She asked, twitching her whiskers in amusement. Mentioning her mother's sister was always a 50/50 on how it would be received, but surely because of the jest Cloudshine had made at Softfeather's expense, such a remark would be allowed? @astralboy

astralboy — 01/21/2022
Greyleaf let out a rumbling mix between a purr and a laugh. She longed for this, day and night. All she ever really looked forward to were these conversations, it made everything worth it. Every but of it. "I'm sure I could, little one, but you know I'm all too stubborn for that." She cooed as she slowly fixed a stray piece of fur on her head with one paw. "I do love when you come and see me in the mornings. Maybe I'll just have to start sleeping in so you have more of an excuse to come by."

She blinked slowly, staring intently at her daughter. "You've got an amazing life ahead of you, Cloudshine, I can just see it." She shifted herself closer to her, nudging Cloudshine with her shoulder. "But, if you think prey are that smart, you may just have another thing coming! I don't blame them, though. If I was that small I'd run from any noise or movement as well." She laughed a small bit, slowly starting to follow along. "You may as well still be a kit to me!"

She fell silent for a moment before cloudshine asked about her parents, giving a soft questioning hum. "Oh.. it's been quite a while since I thought of that." With a soft twitch of the ear, she took a moment to think. "Believe it or not, we both caused a bit of trouble! Together, mostly. It was all.. easier, back then." She sighed a bit. "Not as many clans or patrols. Border fights weren't as frequent. We had the room to be annoying apprentices who crossed borders when we shouldn't have and sneak off late at night."
She stopped to think again, just for a second. "I'll never forget the look on their faces when they caught me as a kit trying to sneak out of camp to try and find some berries."
[11:47 PM]
@belloblossom
January 22, 2022

belloblossom — 01/22/2022
Cloudshine's whiskers twitched with amusement as she listened to her mother, but she stilled as Greyleaf suddenly took on an intense look. When she went on to say that Cloudshine was meant to have an amazing life ahead of her, she dipped her head and purred. That was, until her mother gave her a nudge and teased her. She rolled her eyes with a snort.

"I'm a pretty tall kit, if that's the case." She replied and then settled in to listen to her mother talk about her kithood adventures. She raised an eyebrow at Greyleaf. "Wha-Why would you need berries? You've got to tell me the story, Greyleaf." She said with a grin. @astralboy

astralboy — 01/22/2022
Greyleaf gave an amused hum, shaking her head as she padded along after Cloudshine. "You and your siblings may be bigger now, but you're still my kits!" She huffed. "And even if you get taller than me, you best remember I can still send you off for that eyeroll, star light." Greyleaf teased. Not once when they were kits had she ever truly sent them on any 'time outs' and she was t about to start now. Either way, she thought that made it a little funnier.

"You're going to think I'd gone crazy if I tell you.." she warned as her daughter asked about her small adventure. Despite that, though, she continued on. "I don't remember much about being a kit, or an apprentice really.. but, I do remember that one night. It was long before me and Softfeathers parents passed, obviously." Her tail flickered softly before settling back down. "I was tired of watching the older cats go out hunting, and had seen some shining outside the camp.. fresh blue berries! They practically glowed in the moon light.. and, they matched my fathers eyes." A soft purr started in her chest. "I just had to get them for him. So, out I went, waddling off to try and climb my way to these berries. Little did I know, I'd already been caught by one of the apprentices. He hid behind the bush and right when I was close enough, bam! Jumped out and scared me half to death!" Greyleaf seemed a bit.. disappointed, mixed with a tad bit of amusement. Perhaps some part of her still wanted those berries. "My mother came running out to see me racing back into camp after I screamed. I never heard the end of that..."
[10:51 PM]
@belloblossom (edited)
February 7, 2022

belloblossom — 02/07/2022
Cloudshine purred her amusement, before she listened closely to what Greyleaf had to say.
"Bold of you to assume I don't think you're crazy already." She teased her mother, before slowing her paws down to listen to the tale. She listened about the blueberries - but she couldn't imagine eating something like that. That stuff was mousefood! Yet, she didn't interrupt her mother or speak until her mother had finished her story. She let out a 'mrrow' of laughter, her gaze twinkling.

"What was the apprentice's name?" She mewed. "I bet he got a congratulations for making sure he saved a kit from certain doom. Death by blueberries - oh, can you imagine? They'd have to add a new law to the Code just because of your antics." She giggled and flicked her mother's flank with her tail. "Well, I'm certain that I can catch you more than a few berries, Greyleaf." She assured the elderly she-cat with a grin and then bounded a few steps ahead, turning back and waiting for her mother to catch up.

"Will you tell me about your parents, Greyleaf?" She asked. "I want to know all about them, so I can tell Whitetail's kits or Torrentswipe's, should they ever have any." She longed for kits herself, but she had chosen a she-cat to be her life partner, not a tomcat. She would never regret that decision, but even with all the power of StarClan, she suspected that such miracles were out of their paws. @astralboy
February 8, 2022

astralboy — 02/08/2022
Her smile never faltered as she spoke, staring at her Daughter intently. Pride rose in her chest at the though of her small family, heartbroken and torn as they may have become. Even the comment on how crazy Cloudshine believed her to be just proved how strong they were. Maybe she was crazy, and yet she found love within her children none the less, found a home with cats who she would trade anything to protect. How strange, to find such a sentiment when telling a tale about blueberries.

"Oh, I can't even remember him fully, but I swear on my life that it was Flamingrose!" She let out a soft exasperated grunt. "You know, if you asked him now he'd say he would never be so childish, but he was just as much of a troublemaker as we all were as children! Who's to say, though, my memory is fading quicker than my color." She gave Cloudshine a little nudge with her muzzle, which had been swiftly turning a stark white. "That grump of a tom will outlive us all, but you make sure to tell him that he definitely was the one behind the blueberry mishap." Her slight laughter had turned to a purr as she flicked her ears, training them towards the young she-cat before her.

"Hm? My parents? Oh, well, they were quite the bunch." She said as she trotted along with Cloudshine. "My mother was as brilliant as they come, head strong and ready for the world.. Nothing could stop her. Cloudheart, was her name. You were named after her, and in good taste it seems. You've turned out just as brilliant, my shining star." With another pause, she moved forward. "My father was Mistyeyes, he was stoic, very quiet. Oh, but he loved mom. He was secretly a sweetheart, just quite a bit shy. I lost count of how many times she had to make sure he got a piece of prey, he'd just awkwardly wait there, afraid he would be taking someone's piece..! They both died when I was an apprentice, fighting alongside Rockclan. But they never left, no, I think they chose to stay by my side rather than ride to the stars."
[9:08 PM]
@belloblossom

belloblossom — 02/08/2022
Cloudshine grinned at her mother.
"I didn't realize that Flamingrose was that old." She laughed. "I'll be sure to pester him relentlessly until he gives in - and come running to you to boast when I finally get him to admit it." She mewed, her whiskers twitching in clear amusement.

"Cloudheart..." Cloudshine echoed, wonderingly and smiled at the compliments that were bestowed upon her. "Cloudheart and Mistyeyes." Her tail flicked from side to side as she contemplated the tales that her mother was telling her and she placed a paw on her mother's when Greyleaf indicated that her parents had stayed with her. "I'm sure you're right, Grayleaf." She agreed, purring deeply.

"Now, I hate to be that cat, but my paws are starting to freeze. See that patch of sun over by the sandy grounds?" She directed with her tail. "I imagine the sands are pretty warm, even in this season. I'll meet you over there after I've caught some prey and then we can head back to camp, okay?" She mewed to her mother and touched her nose to Greyleaf's with a purr. Stepping away, she waved her tail at her mother. "See you soon!" She mewed and then scampered off to find some tasty prey for her mother and her Clan. @astralboy

astralboy — 02/08/2022
"Yes, yes he is!" Greyleaf laughed a bit, her shoulders shaking with each breath, but she didn't seem to mind. "Oh, I would love that, Cloudshine." Maybe she'd finally get it out of that old jerk. What a relief that would be.

Her contentedness only grew when her daughter smiled, agreeing with her sentiment that her parents had remained beside her all those moons. "They watch over you as well." She gave a slight nod before turning her head off towards the patch of sun. She had hardly even noticed the cold of the shade. "Oh, yes. Now, don't go off leaving me for too long, I may turn to stone." She flicked her tail at her daughter, watching her run off into the trees. She wobbled her way into the sun, resting down on her haunches with a soft sigh. The sun did feel quite nice on her fur, with warm sand beneath her paws. What a lovely day it had been.
@belloblossom

Luckily, it hadn't taken Cloudshine too long to track down a mouse and - with some struggle - a squirrel. While she came back a little ruffled and weary, she was happy to see her mother curled up pleasantly on the warm sands just ahead.

"Sorry for the wait." She her mew was muffled by a fluffy squirrels tail, but she deposited the prey just in front of the elder, before settling down next to her, tucking her front paws under her chest. "I nearly had to climb a tree for that squirrel." She sighed heavily. "I just about smacked into the face of the trunk - though it did stun the squirrel... and me too. I'll never be as graceful a hunter as Badgerclaw was." She replied. "I hope he's proud of me anyway, like you are." She mewed and leaned gently against her mother's silver flank, which was turning rapidly lighter as the moons went by. We're going to have to start calling you Whiteleaf. She thought, reflecting on a comment she'd made in jest, when both she and her siblings were nearby. Flicking her ears, she glanced sideways at her mother.

"I know that it's not exaaaactly in line with StarClan's wishes, but maybe we can rest here a little? It's so nice in the sun and this prey isn't going anywhere - we could close our eyes and when we feel rested, then we can return to the camp. Is that okay Greyleaf?" She asked, still finding the need to ask her mother permission even as an adult. @astralboy

astralboy — 02/08/2022
Greyleaf had since decided to lay and close her eyes, letting the warmth of the surrounding area seep into her body, deep into the chill of bones she didn't know was there. She had almost dozed off for a quick nap when she heard pawsteps resonating from the ground, echoing to her. Her hand slowly raised as she blinked open her eyes, staring at the treeline as Cloudshine stepped out, her vision slowly but surely unblurring with a loud rumbling purr.

"Wait? It felt like you were hardly gone at all. Don't you be sorry, especially since you did all the hunting." Greyleaf hummed, her tail slowly swishing on the ground, displacing the sand around her. As she told the story, greyleaf took a moment to examine her head, giving it a swift lick. "That is quite the tale, Cloudshine... Your father was always proud of you, and I'm sure he is laughing away about you ramming a tree, my dear." She laughed, though it was more a series of short breathes that managed to escape her lungs. She couldn't be more prouder of her daughter, and she knew her past love cared deeply for all of them. She had no doubt that he was watching her, and blessed her with the catch of the squirrel.
[10:41 PM]
"Starclan my tail, Cloudshine.." she hummed, blinking at her daughter softly. She had grown loyal once more of Starclan, surprisingly enough considering her heart wrenching decree after her mates death. But, even so, she had always been a little bit more of a rule breaker. She knew Badgerclaw wanted her to forgive, to live without regret or sorrow, but some part of her was deep down still hurt, it still remembered those cries... So, they could take their hunting rules right up the A. "I've spent a long good life worshipping them, they won't mind if I take a quick nap. They'll give you a pass too, I'll be sure of it." She sighed, nuzzling her cheek against Cloudshines as her tail flicked with one small burst of energy, settling on her daughters flank. She tested her head against the fellow she-cat, a barely noticeable purr persisting throughout. Her head had started to become so heavy. She's just tired, she thought. The sun's just so inviting, she reasoned. She just had to rest her eyes.

As the ache of her joints faded, and the fog in her tired mind began to clear, she reassured herself again, she just needs a quick nap.. she had told her daughter she would walk back to camp with her after their hunt.

How many moons ago had she promised Badgerclaw she'd rest in the elders den with him? She wasn't going to let Starclan make her break another promise..

But after so long being so cold, one can't help but fall to the temptation of the warm sun.
[10:41 PM]
@belloblossom

Cloudshine had taken up a rhythmic purr as her mother settled her head against her shoulder and her tail against her flank. Feeling more like a kit laying out with her mother in the nursery than a warrior out in the sandy grounds, Cloudshine had little fuss in laying down with her mother. Before she knew it, she'd drifted off, her eyes closed and her fur warm. (edited)
[10:49 PM]
--

When Cloudshine woke, the sand was still warm from her own heat, but the sun had started to lower in the sky. StarClan! How long had she slept?

"Mm, Greyleaf, I think we overslept, we should go back to camp." She yawned, stretching back her jaws. Her mother didn't respond and Cloudshine rolled her eyes and nudged her. "C'mon, Whitetail and Torrentswipe are gonna wonder where we've gone. You think you can help me carry this mo-" Cloudshine had gotten up and when she touched her paw to her mother the body was cold. She recoiled like a started adder and stared at her mother.

"Greyleaf...?" She whispered. "Come on, it's time to get up. Don't-don't you go about teasing me like this, it's not funny." Working up her nerve, she gave her mother another nudge, maybe she was just in a deep sleep. Elders could sleep forever, it seemed and she had to admit that her mother was old.

Greyleaf's body tumbled to the side, limp and cold and unmoving. Cloudshine stared, her eyes wide.

"Greyl...Mom?" She mewed hoarsely. "Mom... Mom!" She darted close, lowering her face to her mother's muzzle to try and feel her breath, but there was none, not even a gentle breeze that would let Cloudshine pretend for just a little longer. "Mom! Mom!" She began to wail, her yowl causing birds nearby to take flight from where they'd been nesting in the branches on the tree line. "Mom-Mommy, please! Please, don't go! Don't leave me here..." Her sobs broke out of her and for the longest time, she could only lay next to her mother, her nose on her flank, waiting for Greyleaf to start breathing again, waiting to feel it rise and fall under her touch, though deep down, she knew that such a thing would never happen again.
[11:00 PM]
--
[11:05 PM]
Cloudshine wasn't sure how long she lay next to her mother, but the sun had begun to set in the sky. Every time she thought about trying to drag her mother back to camp, or the look on her siblings' faces when they saw her body sent her into another wave of hysterics. Did Cloudshine have any part in this? Would her mother still be alive, if she had stayed in the Elders Den all day? When was the last time that Cloudshine had told her Greyleaf that she loved her mother? Surely, Greyleaf knew, but when had she said it last? Her body felt hollow, but... she wasn't going to leave Greyleaf here. So, on numb paws, she stood and pulled Greyleaf up by the scruff of her neck. StarClan, she's so light. Cloudshine thought despairingly. She couldn't carry the prey back and her mother's body, so she clumsily tossed some sand and dirt over the squirrel and mouse to bury it and then she started the lonely trek back to camp. How was she going to explain this to anyone? How was she going to continue without her mother?