Claimed for stats week of 2/21/22

Stormsong
Learning tree-walking was probably one of the more nerve wrecking things Stormsong had endured. How did these tiny, slender, sleek, nimble cats expect her to run along the branches like they did? Compared to most of them, she was a lumbering giant, just an accident waiting to happen. Oh, what had she gotten herself into? Sure, TreeClan was nicer to her than LighteningClan was, she wasn’t just a “kittypet” here, but this whole life in the branches thing could be hard.

“I don’t know about this, Thunderstorm. You’re sure it will hold me?” She asked as she clung to the tree bark, one leg extended to test her weight on the branch Thunderstorm had just occupied. He was the only reason she hadn’t given up on the whole thing. Somehow, he managed to pull it off, the tree-walking. Not only did he pull it off, but he made it look effortless. If he can do it, so can I. It was her mantra, what kept her edging off the trunk of the tree and onto the thick branch.

Thunderstorm
It was obvious that she was scared, so he really shouldn't laugh, but he couldn't help himself. The big fluffy she-cat was just so cute, constantly tapping at the next branch to see if it would hold her. Training her was like helping a oversized kit learn to climb a tree for the first time. Thunderstorm loved every minute of it.

"Of course it will hold you." He said through his chuckle. "Did you not see me just standing on it? I weigh more than you do and it didn't even move!" It was true, they were still on the lowest ring of branches on the oak tree they were climbing. The branches here were sturdy, thick, and had no give under his weight. This particular oak had a thick soft bark that was easy to sink claws into. A perfect practice tree.

"Come on, like I showed you. Trust the branch and spread your weight." He demonstrated the jump for her once more. It was less of a jump for him, as he stretched a bit farther than most cats did, and more of a hop between the two branches, close to the trunk of the oak. Thunderstorm had to resist another laugh as Stormsong finally moved onto the branch and off of the trunk, still wobbling on her paws. With a smile, the tom called encouragements to his mate. "You can do this!"

Stormsong
With a deep breath, she finally released herself from the tree's trunk and gripped the branch. It was definitely wide enough to hold her, but the fluffy she-cat clung to it as if it were a tiny twig beneath her. She scowled at her mate. How did he do it so fearlessly? Trust the branch, spread your weight, she thought as she moved along her branch. One step at a time.

After what seemed like ages, she made her way to the spot where Thunderstorm had stood when he jumped to the other branch. It was close enough to scamper back to the tree trunk if the branch broke but far enough away to make her very uncomfortable. She looked back and forth from her branch to his a few times before reaching out a tentative paw to test the distance. Her efforts earned her another laugh from Thunderstorm.

"You're sure it's going to hold us both? I'm not a tiny cat, you know!" The frustration she felt was clear in her voice.

Thunderstorm
"Yes, I'm sure." The large tom said with a smile. "I know exactly what you are, now get over here so I can lick your face!" He moved out away from the trunk, giving her more room to land in a safer zone. Honestly, he was proud of how hard his mate was trying. Not every cat would agree to give up a life on the ground for that of one in the trees. Lucky for him, Stormsong wasn't just any cat. It was clear that she would give up everything for him, do anything he asked her to. Thunderstorm had already asked so much of her, and she had been so brave about the whole thing.

"Come on, it's not that far." He beckoned his fluffy mate over with a tail waggle.

Stormsong
Awkwardly, Stormsong shifted her paws and weight to prepare for the jump. If he can do it so can I, she repeated the mantra to herself. Determined to be by her mates side, Stormsong jumped to the other branch, claws extended. She landed clumsily but Thunderstorm was there to help right her. He made good on his word and covered her face in loving congratulatory licks. Between licks, she let out a light laugh.

That wasn't nearly as hard as she thought it would be. Sure, her landing wasn't perfect but she made the jump just fine. Confidence swelled within her. Maybe she could do this. For the first time, she looked down. Hm, they weren't that far up. From this height, she probably wouldn't even get hurt if she fell. Eager to test her new found "skill", Stormsong scanned the tree for another branch to hop to.

Thunderstorm
A purr rumbled through his chest as Stormsong made the hop and joined him on his branch. She'd taken the first step in tree walking and he was so proud. The little laugh she made only increased the sound of his purr. Seeing the way she was looking around, he could tell what she was thinking.

"This way, I'll go slow for you." Thunderstorm said as he hopped up to a branch just above them. Having practiced in this same tree when he was learning, he knew the branches well and picked an easy path for her to follow.

Stormsong
This time, she only hesitated a moment before hopping up onto the branch beside her lover. He moved to another branch and once again she followed. They kept going like that for several hops before Stormsong realized the pattern Thunderstorm was taking her in. Up, across, down, across, in a perfect circle around the tree back to the starting limb.

Predicting the next jump, Stormsong landed on the branch at the same time as the fluffy tom. She grinned widely at him as he turned and nuzzled her cheek. "I think I'm getting the hang of this!" The dark she-cat declared as she licked her mentors face.

Thunderstorm
He beamed with pride and happiness as Stormsong landed on the branch with him for the first time truly trusting it to hold them. When he had first joined TreeClan, Robinstar and Riversong had taken turns teaching him, and the other warriors new to the clan, how to tree-walk. At the time, they had both praised him for how quickly he'd picked up on it and he'd thought nothing of it. Seeing Stormsong take to it just as quickly made him wonder if bigger cats were just made better for it. Well, on the lowest branches anyways.

"You're doing really well." Thunderstorm complimented his mate and returned her affection with a few licks to her face as well. "Honestly, you're picking up on it faster than most. It's not so bad once you trust in the branches, is it?" With a deep purr rumbling in his chest he leaned in and nuzzled his head against hers.

Stormsong
As Thunderstorm nuzzled her, she started purring as well. Flexing her claws to get a good grip on the branch, Stormsong leaned into her mates nuzzle and returned it, adding a lick to his shoulder. There could be no better life than this. They were together, they were safe, and every time she did just about anything, her handsome tom would give her a smile and melt her heart.

"No, I admit, it's not so bad." She said with a light chuckle. "But we're still only on the lower branches of the practice tree." Only on the lower branches and it had taken her awhile just to get on the branch. Now that she had made the first jump, she found that it really wasn't so bad. Not as preferable as walking, but not the worst method of travel.