Mezlijin yawned as he woke from his nap, the cooling air alerting him to the fact that the sun was setting. He'd been spending the past few days in the rogue lands scouting out potential members for his pride, as well as chatting up a lioness he'd met a few days prior. He and Suluhu had spent their time exchanging stories, hunting, resting, and enjoying each other's company while he tried to think of any lions that might have crossed his path that had mentioned their former pride or had gone by any of the names Suluhu had managed to remember. There'd been a few leads that she could work with, so it was decided once the sun had set she'd set off to see if she could find any of them.

Beside the leopon, Suluhu was starting to stir as well. She stretched and yawned, her claws digging into the dirt under her before she drew herself up onto her paws. It was nice to have spent the past few days with Mez. Having grown up in a pride it was odd to go for stretches at a time completely alone, so having someone to spend time with and talk to was a mental relief for her. He was good company, friendly and funny, and she hoped some day she'd cross paths with him once more.

"That's much better," she said with a sigh as she shook herself free of the dust that had settled into her fur. "The heat was brutal today."

"Mhm," Mez agreed, yawning again and licking his muzzle to get the sand out of his teeth. "Feels like the humidity is giving way, too. That storm that passed in the distance this morning probably took it with it."

"Good," the lioness said with a chuckle as she gazed out over the plains. In the distance there were a few herds starting to graze and her stomach gave a little growl to let her know she'd definitely need to eat before setting out for another long walk.

"Up for a hunt?" she asked, looking down at the leopon who was still lounging in the short grass. Mezlijin pretended to think it over before giving a nod and rising to his paws.

"Of course. Can't say no to a proper kill." While he was out and about in the rogue lands he usually had to settle for smaller game, but with a buddy they could easily take down a sick or elderly antelope or zebra. Something that they could really feast on.

"Thank you," Suluhu said as Mezlijin shook himself off. "For all the insight you've shared. I think it will put my paws in the right direction and hopefully I'll find some of my former pride mates." And even if she didn't, at least she'd spent a few days in the company of a kind creature that she'd never met before. Already her knowledge of the world was expanding.

"Oh, any time," Mez said with a fond smile, his toothy grin wide. "I hope you'll come back this way some time and find me so you can tell me all about your travels." While he was familiar with the rogue lands around him, he never went too far from his pride. He also didn't want to invite Suluhu to come visit his pride if she didn't intend on staying as she might contract the illness that the lions there bore.

"I'm sure I will!" Suluhu said with a laugh. "I plan on roaming far and wide, but I'll certainly have to backtrack from time to time in case I miss anyone. And I suppose if you see any lions that are former Kizi, you can let them know I'm looking for them to check in with them." She didn't want her former pridemates to think something was wrong or to think she was hunting them to bring them back, after all.

"Certainly," Mez returned with a little bow. "Now, let's go see what we can catch."

They set off and made a plan, approaching the herd quietly. They'd been hunting together the past few days but only for smaller prey, but they'd fallen into sync in terms of hunting and with very little verbal communication they'd been able to be fairly successful. This time was no different, Mez creeping up on an obviously injured antelope and sending it straight into Suluhu's waiting paws. They gorged themselves on the fresh meat, content to remain with their kill for a bit to continue to eat as they saw fit. It wasn't until night truly fell that they abandoned their kill, walking side by side in the direction Suluhu had chosen to continue in. Their conversation was quiet but light as they moved, and finally they reached a point where Mezlijin slowed and eventually stopped. Suluhu turned a few paces ahead of him and tilted her head, but he shook his own with a smile.

"This is as far as I'll go with you. It was a pleasure to meet you, Suluhu, and I hope you find what you're looking for."

"The pleasure was mine. I'm lucky to have met you, Mezlijin," the lioness said in return, a fond tone in her voice. "And I wish you all the best in your duties to your pride. We'll meet again some day, I'm sure."

They stayed like that for a moment more before Suluhu turned and continued to walk, her golden eyes shining in the light of the full moon. Mezlijin stayed where he was until he could no longer see the dark female in the shadows of the night, and it was only then that he turned to head back to his own pride.

Suluhu paused after a moment and turned back to look and see if Mezlijin was still there, but even though his pelt was bright blue, she couldn't see him any longer. She shook her head with a little smile and turned, pressing on into the rogue lands. How lucky was she that she'd made such a strange, wonderful friend so early into her journey? She only hoped the rest of her adventures would continue to bless her in that way.

WC: 1035