Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Arithmancy I (4/4)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:23 am
User Image

Arithmancy I: Tuesday, Block 1 (Morning: 9:00-10:00)
Professor Marcs (Jasper Ichabod Marcs-Conroy)
Professor Marcs's Office
This class is updated on Saturday (real time).

Arithmancy is a magical discipline that studies the magical properties of numbers, including predicting the future with numbers and numerology. (source)

xxxxAbout the Professor:
    Professor Jasper Ichabod Marcs-Conroy (only goes by Professor Marcs), was born to a pureblood witch and wizard. His father came from a banking family full of loan sharks and his mother came from a family of seers and prophets. He of course soon became the failure of his parents as he turned out to be a squib. His Grandmother Marcs a seer from him mother's side took pity on him and adopted him from his parents.

Grandmother Marcs was adamant that Jasper learned the arts of prediction to his limitations as a squib and receive a reputable muggle education. As Jasper began his education in Mathematics of Random Systems he took two Adult Education Courses during his summer. He easily scored an O in Arithmancy which he felt was little different than the predictions muggles make using statistics, and an E in Ancient Runes which he found a bit more difficult for his mathematically inclined mind.

In 2048, Jasper completed his DPhil Mathematics of Random Systems CDT and with his choice of Universities he chose to began a professorship at the University of Sydney. His time was quite successful for ten years where he was beloved by his students, noted for his research, and soon to be selected for tenure before a conflict with a fellow professor regarding the quality of the other professor's work ended with Jasper being requested to leave the university to hide any controversy.

Until Jasper started with Hogwarts, he worked as an arithmancer working from his apartment in London.

User Image
                                                    The Arithmancy classroom is one of the smaller classrooms in Hogwarts as the subject does not require much space for instruction and the class sizes tend to be smaller. In the front of the classroom is a large chalkboard with a small desk and rolling desk chair. The words "No Wands Out in this Classroom" are etched in the board with chalk for so long that only a scrugify charm could remove the words. In the back of the classroom is a book shelf with several books of reference for the subject that students are allowed to come into the classroom when class in not in session to use for homework if they so wish. If a student wishes to check out a book they are expected to check out the book using a ledger book on top of the book shelf.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:25 am
User ImagexxxxxxWelcome to Arithmancy I

xClass Schedule/Syllabus:

xxxxxxClass One: Origination of Arithmancy
xxxxxxClass Two: The Two Systems
xxxxxxClass Three: Agrippan Method
xxxxxxClass Four: Number usage

xxxxxx[ ] Origination
xxxxxx[ ] The Two Systems
xxxxxx[ ] Agrippan Method
xxxxxx[ ] Number usage

xxxxxx-Textbook: Numerology and Grammatica
xxxxxx-Parchment
xxxxxx-Quills and Ink (OR other appropriate writing materials)
xxxxxx-Do not use your wand or have your wand out in my classroom  

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:25 am
Start of Arithmancy I 2060-2061 Classes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:26 am
User Image
Professor Marcs
Jasper Ichabod Marcs-Conroy

(Oxford Alumni and trained Arithmancer)(Squib)(Former University of Sydney Statistics Professor)(Arithmancy Professor)

Jasper had mixed feelings at teaching at a school of witches and wizards especially of an age far younger than he had taught to before. Children could be particularly rude. Thankfully he had control of the classroom if he chose to seize it and he did. He was a talented arithmancer (wizard or not) and an even more talented instructor. Already waiting for the students was a syllabus and a note pressed boldly into the board: "No Wands Out in this Classroom". The Syllabus was far less aggressive as it laid out the education plan for the year:

List of Knowledge for Arithmancy I

[ ] Origination of Arithmancy
                                                        [ ] The Two Systems
                                                        [ ] Agrippan Method
                                                        [ ] Number usage

As his students, a group of thirteen and fourteen years settled, catching up on their Summers, Jasper waited two minutes before letting out a polite cough. "Welcome to Arithmancy I. For the start of business all wands will be out of my sight in this classroom. I will happily confiscate any wand that fails to follow this instruction. You can collect your wand at the end of class along with your detention slip. Arithmancy is a science requiring wisdom and intellect not reliance on twirling a pretty stick."

He paused to allow his words to sink into the students and any possible protests to be raised without interrupting coursework. "Thank you for your understanding. I am Professor Marcs. I come from a line of seers and have held a prior professorship for almost a decade. If you look to your syllabus at your desks you will see what I expect each of you to learn by the end of year."

"Instead of wasting our time with introductions, let us start with an introduction of Arithmancy instead."

Jasper turned and below the written ban on wands out, he quickly wrote out his introduction to Arithmancy in exact text:

Chalkboard
                                                        The Origination of Arithmancy

Arithmancy is the magical discipline that studies the magical properties of numbers, which includes predicting the future with numbers and numerology.

Arithmancy is associated with
                                                        -the Chaldeans
                                                        -the Platonists
                                                        -the Pathagoreans
                                                        -the Kabbalah

Arithmancy comes from the Greek words arithmos (meaning number) and manteria (meaning divination).

Technically defined, Arithmancy is "number divination". Arithmancy is a mathmatical and scientific "magical" art of predicting the future.

Turning back to his class, Jasper said, "I hope you are taking notes. I would advise to focus particularly on the cultures that originally used Arithmancy, the Greek origin of the subjects name, and a working definition of the subject. If there is any questions, please let me know. I also have office hours which I included on the back of your syllabus. And if you see me in the halls feel free to stop me. The material will only get more complex from here. And, on that note, you are dismissed if you so choose."

................................................................................................................

Time: 2060-2061 Hogwarts Year

{OoC: }

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:43 am
User Image
✵ Nic ✵ Nicholas Hue Hayward-Ye ✵
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxx(Gryffindor Third Year) (Half-blood-part-nymph) (Herbology Club, Creature Appreciation Club, and Namaste Member) (Gryffindor Quidditch Team Beater)
Time: 2060-2061
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Nic always loved maths. He had been studying muggle maths to prepare himself for A-levels for several years now. He figured arithmancy could not be so hard. As he entered the classroom he noted the bold note banning wands. Nic had assumed he wouldn't need one for the class but there was something almost aggressive about the writing that stood out to Nic. He gave a half shrug and took a seat near the front evaluating the professor. He was around his dad's age and had a stern no-nonsense feel about him in his crisp suit and scowl.

Nic glanced down at the syllabus at his desk as he pulled out a quill, parchment, and his book. The wording was a bit Greek... like actual Greek, but Nic did read a bit ahead over the summer when he got the book so it didn't look quite as daunting. He waited for his fellow students to join him and listened once Professor Marcs spoke, his voice taking charge of the room. Nic had to smile a bit at the description of Arithmancy being a science and not "twirling a pretty stick." Sure his grandfather, a wandmaker, might not appreciate the description but Nic had to admit that description made Nic think he might really, really like Arithmancy. Magic and bangs was fun but stretching your mind had another kind of appeal to it. Nic was a Gryffindor but he wasn't a stupid one.

Nic took notes from the board even before Professor Marcs said to and finished the lesson. All in all, he thought it was a pretty great class and looked forward to more lessons. And, Professor Marcs seemed to genuinely care about teaching his subject even if he seemed a bit rough around the edges.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                                Ah, but this nose doesn’t need to poke too far
                                                To see that behind that distrustful warning
                                                You’d do quite well in

Gryffindor!
                                                Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:11 am
User Image
Professor Marcs

(Oxford Alumni and trained Arithmancer)(Squib)(Former University of Sydney Statistics Professor)(Arithmancy Professor)

"No Wands Out in this Classroom" stood so boldly on the board Jasper hoped when he did eventually chose to retire the words would forever be etched into the board. He sat at a desk in front of the classroom where propping up his elbows he swung a pocket watch as he waited for his students to sit. Standing, Jasper began, "Today we are going over the two systems of Arithmancy: the Agrippan Method and Chaldean Method. Please take notes from the board behind me." In his exact text read:

Chalkboard
                                                        Systems in Arithmancy

In Arithmancy there are two popular methods used: the Agrippan and the Chaldean Method.

The Agrippan Method

User Image

-uses the most recent Latin alphabet (considers u, v, i, and j as separate letters)
                                                        -not commonly used until the 18th Century
                                                        -letters are assigned values 1-9

The Chaldean Method

User Image

-less commonly used and known
                                                        -based off the Aramaic languages
                                                        -letter values based off equating Latin letters with letters of the Hebrew alphabet
                                                        -main difference: the number 9 is not used here.

"The Chaldean Method we will not be seeing often but I am not the type of professor to lie to you. You will need to know that method and the history of the method even if we may not use it often in British arithmancy. It will be on your future exams," Jasper explained. "As for the Agrippan Method you should grow very familiar with. This is the method most popular with most European Arithmancers. This method uses the modern Latin alphabet instead of being based on the Hebrew alphabet. I will give you time to copy the notes and ask any questions you may have."
                                                        ................................................................................................................

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:12 am
User Image
Professor Marcs

"No Wands Out in this Classroom" reminded Jasper's students the uselessness of their wands for this subject and his dislike of wands. Jasper was a squib and while he did not keep it a secret he did not advertise it. As he had said before arithmancy was a science not a place for silly wand waving. Today, while in many ways a review which he was loathe to do, it was important to stress the Agrippan Method on its own to build a foundation for his students. Welcoming his students he said, "Today we are going over the Agrippan Method more in depth. I advise you to use this taste of a review as a chance to memorize the number chart for this method. We will be using this method for our calculations from her on. Please take any additional notes you may need on this method from the board behind me." In his exact text read:

Chalkboard
                                                        The Agrippan Method

User Image

-uses the most recent Latin alphabet (considers u, v, i, and j as separate letters)
                                                        -Currently the most popular method used in Britain

"As you may remember the Agrippan Method was not commonly used until the 18th century. In our more recent history the Agrippan Method has surpassed the Chaldean Method in popularity. This is especially the case in English speaking countries. The Agrippan Method is popular for its ease to use as it is based on the modern Latin alphabet which includes u, v, i, and j all as separate letters. Obviously this corresponds with English quite well. Letters in this method are assigned values of 1-9, not 1-8 like the Chaldean Method. The inclusion of the number 9 allows more freedom and exact calculations for arithmancers which you now all are even if you haven't reached far in your studies or are professionals yet - if that is your preferred future."

"Once you are finished with your notes, please ask any questions you may have," Jasper said, folding his hands in front of him.

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:18 pm
User Image
Professor Marcs

The only thing that was written on the chalkboard for the last class of Arithmancy I was the ever present reminder: "No Wands Out in this Classroom". Jasper was sitting at his desk with a copy of Numerology and Grammatica in his hands that contained so many dog eared pages it was impossible to determine the meaning of each unless perhaps you were the one to mark the pages. As his students took their seats, Jasper stood with the book still in his hands.

"Good morning, it is always good to start your day with a bit of mathematics," Jasper greeted. Honestly he spoke truly for himself. He had been up until two that morning, unable to go to sleep and choosing to study more on the uses of the Chaldean Method.

"As each of you should realize by now, arithmancy in many ways is finding the numeric meaning in the world around you. More simply: numbers have meaning. Obviously, the use of numbers vary vastly. We have already been introduced to the Agrippan Method and the Chaldean Method. Each letter has a corresponding number. What we do with this fact is where - for a lack of better terminology - it is where the magic begins," Jasper's voice almost had a hint of scorn when he used the word magic.

"Next year we will be learning to solve character, heart, and social numbers. On page 212 is a breakdown of the meaning of each number. We will not be discussing the method this year but I invite you to read ahead and attempt to solve the three when you have time. It can be learned on your own if you put your mind to it."

"And in Arithmancy III we will be discussing life path numbers, The meaning of the various life path numbers can be found on page 387. While you are free to read ahead and work out the calculations of life path I suggest you focus instead, for now, on the character, heart, and social number if you wish to work ahead."

"If any of you have questions regarding this or to learn a bit more about these numbers, I will be happy to lend you my time during office hours or by appointment."

Character, Heart, and Social Number Meanings:

Student Textbook page 212
                                                        THE MEANING OF NUMBERS

ONE
                                                        Ones are independent, focused, single-minded and determined. They set a goal and stick to it, they are leaders and inventors. Ones find it difficult to work with others and don't like to take orders. They can be self-centered, egotistical and domineering. They are often loners.

TWO
                                                        Two represents interaction, communication cooperation and balance. Twos are imaginative, creative and good natured. Peace, harmony, commitment, loyalty and fairness are common characteristics in Twos. But Two is also conflict, opposing forces and the contrasting sides of things: night and day, good and evil etc. Twos can be withdrawn, oody, self-concious and indecisive.

THREE
                                                        Three is completeness and wholeness, like past-present-future or mind-body-spirit. Three indicates talent, energy, an artistic nature, humor and social ease. Threes are commonly lucky, easy going and successful. Threes can also be unfocused, easily offended and superficial.

FOUR
                                                        Fours are stable. Fours enjoy hard work and are practical, reliable and logical. They are good at organization and getting things done. They are also predictable, stubborn, suspicious, and are prone to angry outbursts. The conflicts possible in Two are doubled in Four.

FIVE
                                                        Five is instability and imbalance, change and uncertainty. Fives are drawn to many things and commit to none. They are adventurous, energetic and willing to take risks, they enjoy travel and meeting new people but are unwilling to stay in one place. Fives can be conceited, quick-tempered and impatient.

SIX
                                                        Six is harmony, friendship and family life. Sixes are loyal, reliable and loving. They are good at teaching and art but are often unsuccessful in business. They are sometimes gossips and prone to complacency.

SEVEN
                                                        Perceptive, understanding and smart, Sevens enjoy hard work and challenges. They are serious, scholarly, and interested in mystery. Originality and imagination are ore important than money. Sevens are also pessimistic, sarcastic an insecure.

EIGHT
                                                        Eights are possibly successful in business, finance and politics. Eights are practical, ambitious, committed and hard working, they can also be jealous, greedy, domineering and power-hungry. Eight is the most unpredictable and are either the most successful or the worst failure. They can go either way.

NINE
                                                        Nine represents completion and achievement to the utmost. It is the complete number (3x3x3). Nines dedicate themselves to service mostly as teachers, scientists and humanitarians. Determined, they work tirelessly and are an inspiration to others, but they can be arrogant and conceited when things don't go their way.

(Source: here)

Life Path Number Meanings:

Student Textbook page 387
                                                        What your Life Path Number reveals about you?

ONE (1): Your path will take you down the road to independence, and you'll learn its benefits standing on your own two feet and becoming a strong individual. Once you've honed these traits, you move to the next level - leadership. You're a born leader and your path in life will present you with many opportunities to demonstrate your ability. Your strong pioneering spirit, courage, and determination will serve you well along this road. Career/vocation options include fields where you can use your quick mental agility, such as business, health, government, or even a bookstore.

TWO (2): Your path will lead you to seek balance and harmony in all that you do and you'll learn the benefits of cooperation and compromise, as well as patience and peacekeeping. Once you've incorporated these traits, you'll move on to the next phase - drawing others together. You were born to relate to others - and make certain that others relate well to each other as well. But be sure to remember not to ignore yourself and your own needs while you're making sure everyone else is cooperating. People with 2 Life Paths are extremely sensitive that they need to be careful not to become the world's doormat. Career/vocation options include jobs that allow you to mediate, negotiate, take care of details, be in a supportive role, or gather facts.

THREE (3): Your path will entice you to be both spontaneous and creative, to live your life with joy and imagination. You will learn the benefits of optimism and enthusiasm, and how to express your emotions and exuberance. Once you've mastered these concepts, you'll move on to the next phase - inspiring others. You're a born communicator and your wit and lightheartedness will help others see the joy in any situation. Artistic, creative, and articulate are words to describe someone with a 3 Life Path. Career/vocation options should relate to anything artistic - writing, speaking, designing, illustrating, dancing, etc.

FOUR (4): Your path will lead you to work hard and systematically. You'll learn the benefis of loyalty and following the rules, all the while remaining loyal and steadfast. Reliability is key and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - building for the long term. You're a born builder because security is a big deal for you. Others look to you to manage and control the situation. Career/vocation options include bookkeeping, accounting, and work where organization is valued - administration, education, business, etc.

FIVE (5): You'll have many forks along your path and you'll welcome each change as a new opportunity with unknown results. Change is key and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - championing freedom. You're progressive and super-resourceful, which make you equally good at many different trades. Career/vocation options include working with the public, advertising, publicity, or sales - any kind of work that calls for energizing power rather than routine. Travel is well-suited to you.

SIX (6): Your path will lead you to live responsibly at home and work to achieve balance between giving and receiving. This path is one of aid and service, and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - achieving balance between giving and receiving. You're a born counselor - sympathetic and caring - which makes others seek you out for advice. Career/vocation options include any job in the service industry where you can make life more comfortable, easy, and luxurious for others, including medicine, decorating, beauty products, training animals, teaching, and counseling.

SEVEN (7): Your path will lead you to study, test, and analyze everything because you can't be satisfied with anything at face value. You'll seek the meaning of existence and will always be exploring mysteries and the unexplainable to find meaning for your life. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - sharing your wisdom of the metaphysical with others. You're a born seeker - philosophical, scientific, etc. - and because of your solitary investigation of the unknown, others will seek you out for your wisdom. Career/vocation options include any job that calls for analysis, deductive reasoning, or scientific knowledge, such as teaching, or any field where you'll be allowed to study or contemplate things bigger than you.

EIGHT (8 ): Your path will lead you to work out the difference between money and the real value of life. You must learn what to do with your natural power and authority, but this is not an easy path. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - being in charge. You're a born boss and your natural power and authority cause others to look to you when a decision needs to be made. The reward or you won't necessarily be financial but may come in terms of accomplishment and legacy. Career/vocation options include any field where you can be in charge and where you can utilize your superior skill of good judgment.

NINE (9): Your path will lead you to understand the interconnectedness of all things. It's a path of universal love that learns compassion and tolerance. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - tolerance for all and the importance of caring for each other. You're a born healer and your healing may take the form of writing, composing, painting, or sculpting - reaching others by truly connecting to them. You'll be learning how to let go, to surrender the self for greater good. Career/vocation options include the arts, international business, education, and health - any line of work designed to help, heal, or humanize.

ELEVEN (11/2): Much is expected of you with this Master Life Path. Your path will lead you to illuminate humankind inspirationaly. Sometimes you will work at the level of the 2 to bring toward you meaningful associations so that others will find you accessible. Once you've mastered your lessons, you'll move on to the next phase - becoming an inpirational leader. You're a born charismatic leader, magnetic and electric. You'll often find yourself in the spotlight, as the center of attention. Your mission is to be someone others look to for illumination and truth, and the truer you are to Universal principles, the happier and more successful you'll be on your path. Career/vocation options include any field where you can be the teacher, diplomat, or speaker or any field were you'll be in the spotlight and able to work with large groups.

TWENTY-TWO (22/4): Your path is special and will lead you to turn dreams into reality. The 22/4 Life Path, like the 4, is one who builds and manifests - but with a larger purpose. Once you've mastered this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - becoming a Master Builder. You're a born creator of activities that benefit all and you're seen by others as extraordinary. You reinforce your word with deeds, over and over again, and others know your word is as good as gold. Good management principles are behind what you do and what you do is for the lasting good of humankind. Career/vocation options include a planner, organizer, diplomat, minister, or any work that allows you to utilize your considerable talent for organizing, being efficient, and applying your practical know-how to build a dream. You command a respect and are seen as an expert in your field, destined to be a leader who is both practical and inspirational.

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm
Start of Arithmancy I 2061-2062 Classes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:13 pm
User Image
Professor Marcs

Jasper had mixed feelings at teaching at a school of witches and wizards especially of an age far younger than he had taught to before. Children could be particularly rude. Thankfully he had control of the classroom if he chose to seize it and he did. He was a talented arithmancer (wizard or not) and an even more talented instructor. Already waiting for the students was a syllabus and a note pressed boldly into the board: "No Wands Out in this Classroom". The Syllabus was far less aggressive as it laid out the education plan for the year:

List of Knowledge for Arithmancy I

[ ] Origination of Arithmancy
                                                        [ ] The Two Systems
                                                        [ ] Agrippan Method
                                                        [ ] Number usage

As his students, a group of thirteen and fourteen years settled, catching up on their Summers, Jasper waited two minutes before letting out a polite cough. "Welcome to Arithmancy I. For the start of business all wands will be out of my sight in this classroom. I will happily confiscate any wand that fails to follow this instruction. You can collect your wand at the end of class along with your detention slip. Arithmancy is a science requiring wisdom and intellect not reliance on twirling a pretty stick."

He paused to allow his words to sink into the students and any possible protests to be raised without interrupting coursework. "Thank you for your understanding. I am Professor Marcs. I come from a line of seers and have held a prior professorship for almost a decade. If you look to your syllabus at your desks you will see what I expect each of you to learn by the end of year."

"Instead of wasting our time with introductions, let us start with an introduction of Arithmancy instead."

Jasper turned and below the written ban on wands out, he quickly wrote out his introduction to Arithmancy in exact text:

Chalkboard
                                                        The Origination of Arithmancy

Arithmancy is the magical discipline that studies the magical properties of numbers, which includes predicting the future with numbers and numerology.

Arithmancy is associated with
                                                        -the Chaldeans
                                                        -the Platonists
                                                        -the Pathagoreans
                                                        -the Kabbalah

Arithmancy comes from the Greek words arithmos (meaning number) and manteria (meaning divination).

Technically defined, Arithmancy is "number divination". Arithmancy is a mathmatical and scientific "magical" art of predicting the future.

Turning back to his class, Jasper said, "I hope you are taking notes. I would advise to focus particularly on the cultures that originally used Arithmancy, the Greek origin of the subjects name, and a working definition of the subject. If there is any questions, please let me know. I also have office hours which I included on the back of your syllabus. And if you see me in the halls feel free to stop me. The material will only get more complex from here. And, on that note, you are dismissed if you so choose."

Time: 2061-2062 Hogwarts Year

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm
User Image
Professor Marcs

"No Wands Out in this Classroom" stood so boldly on the board Jasper hoped when he did eventually chose to retire the words would forever be etched into the board. He sat at a desk in front of the classroom where propping up his elbows he swung a pocket watch as he waited for his students to sit. Standing, Jasper began, "Today we are going over the two systems of Arithmancy: the Agrippan Method and Chaldean Method. Please take notes from the board behind me." In his exact text read:

Chalkboard
                                                        Systems in Arithmancy

In Arithmancy there are two popular methods used: the Agrippan and the Chaldean Method.

The Agrippan Method

User Image

The Chaldean Method

User Image

-less commonly used and known
                                                        -based off the Aramaic languages
                                                        -letter values based off equating Latin letters with letters of the Hebrew alphabet
                                                        -main difference: the number 9 is not used here.

"The Chaldean Method we will not be seeing often but I am not the type of professor to lie to you. You will need to know that method and the history of the method even if we may not use it often in British arithmancy. It will be on your future exams," Jasper explained. "As for the Agrippan Method you should grow very familiar with. This is the method most popular with most European Arithmancers. This method uses the modern Latin alphabet instead of being based on the Hebrew alphabet. I will give you time to copy the notes and ask any questions you may have."

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:27 am
User Image
Professor Marcs

"No Wands Out in this Classroom" reminded Jasper's students the uselessness of their wands for this subject and his dislike of wands. Jasper was a squib and while he did not keep it a secret he did not advertise it. As he had said before arithmancy was a science not a place for silly wand waving. Today, while in many ways a review which he was loathe to do, it was important to stress the Agrippan Method on its own to build a foundation for his students. Welcoming his students he said, "Today we are going over the Agrippan Method more in depth. I advise you to use this taste of a review as a chance to memorize the number chart for this method. We will be using this method for our calculations from her on. Please take any additional notes you may need on this method from the board behind me." In his exact text read:

Chalkboard
                                                        The Agrippan Method

User Image

-Currently the most popular method used in Britain

"As you may remember the Agrippan Method was not commonly used until the 18th century. In our more recent history the Agrippan Method has surpassed the Chaldean Method in popularity. This is especially the case in English speaking countries. The Agrippan Method is popular for its ease to use as it is based on the modern Latin alphabet which includes u, v, i, and j all as separate letters. Obviously this corresponds with English quite well. Letters in this method are assigned values of 1-9, not 1-8 like the Chaldean Method. The inclusion of the number 9 allows more freedom and exact calculations for arithmancers which you now all are even if you haven't reached far in your studies or are professionals yet - if that is your preferred future."

"Once you are finished with your notes, please ask any questions you may have," Jasper said, folding his hands in front of him.

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:59 am
User Image
Professor Marcs

The only thing that was written on the chalkboard for the last class of Arithmancy I was the ever present reminder: "No Wands Out in this Classroom". Jasper was sitting at his desk with a copy of Numerology and Grammatica in his hands that contained so many dog eared pages it was impossible to determine the meaning of each unless perhaps you were the one to mark the pages. As his students took their seats, Jasper stood with the book still in his hands.

"Good morning, it is always good to start your day with a bit of mathematics," Jasper greeted. Honestly he spoke truly for himself. He had been up until two that morning, unable to go to sleep and choosing to study more on the uses of the Chaldean Method.

"As each of you should realize by now, arithmancy in many ways is finding the numeric meaning in the world around you. More simply: numbers have meaning. Obviously, the use of numbers vary vastly. We have already been introduced to the Agrippan Method and the Chaldean Method. Each letter has a corresponding number. What we do with this fact is where - for a lack of better terminology - it is where the magic begins," Jasper's voice almost had a hint of scorn when he used the word magic.

"Next year we will be learning to solve character, heart, and social numbers. On page 212 is a breakdown of the meaning of each number. We will not be discussing the method this year but I invite you to read ahead and attempt to solve the three when you have time. It can be learned on your own if you put your mind to it."

"And in Arithmancy III we will be discussing life path numbers, The meaning of the various life path numbers can be found on page 387. While you are free to read ahead and work out the calculations of life path I suggest you focus instead, for now, on the character, heart, and social number if you wish to work ahead."

"If any of you have questions regarding this or to learn a bit more about these numbers, I will be happy to lend you my time during office hours or by appointment."

Character, Heart, and Social Number Meanings:

Student Textbook page 212
                                                        THE MEANING OF NUMBERS

ONE
                                                        Ones are independent, focused, single-minded and determined. They set a goal and stick to it, they are leaders and inventors. Ones find it difficult to work with others and don't like to take orders. They can be self-centered, egotistical and domineering. They are often loners.

TWO
                                                        Two represents interaction, communication cooperation and balance. Twos are imaginative, creative and good natured. Peace, harmony, commitment, loyalty and fairness are common characteristics in Twos. But Two is also conflict, opposing forces and the contrasting sides of things: night and day, good and evil etc. Twos can be withdrawn, oody, self-concious and indecisive.

THREE
                                                        Three is completeness and wholeness, like past-present-future or mind-body-spirit. Three indicates talent, energy, an artistic nature, humor and social ease. Threes are commonly lucky, easy going and successful. Threes can also be unfocused, easily offended and superficial.

FOUR
                                                        Fours are stable. Fours enjoy hard work and are practical, reliable and logical. They are good at organization and getting things done. They are also predictable, stubborn, suspicious, and are prone to angry outbursts. The conflicts possible in Two are doubled in Four.

FIVE
                                                        Five is instability and imbalance, change and uncertainty. Fives are drawn to many things and commit to none. They are adventurous, energetic and willing to take risks, they enjoy travel and meeting new people but are unwilling to stay in one place. Fives can be conceited, quick-tempered and impatient.

SIX
                                                        Six is harmony, friendship and family life. Sixes are loyal, reliable and loving. They are good at teaching and art but are often unsuccessful in business. They are sometimes gossips and prone to complacency.

SEVEN
                                                        Perceptive, understanding and smart, Sevens enjoy hard work and challenges. They are serious, scholarly, and interested in mystery. Originality and imagination are ore important than money. Sevens are also pessimistic, sarcastic an insecure.

EIGHT
                                                        Eights are possibly successful in business, finance and politics. Eights are practical, ambitious, committed and hard working, they can also be jealous, greedy, domineering and power-hungry. Eight is the most unpredictable and are either the most successful or the worst failure. They can go either way.

NINE
                                                        Nine represents completion and achievement to the utmost. It is the complete number (3x3x3). Nines dedicate themselves to service mostly as teachers, scientists and humanitarians. Determined, they work tirelessly and are an inspiration to others, but they can be arrogant and conceited when things don't go their way.

Life Path Number Meanings:

Student Textbook page 387
                                                        What your Life Path Number reveals about you?

ONE (1): Your path will take you down the road to independence, and you'll learn its benefits standing on your own two feet and becoming a strong individual. Once you've honed these traits, you move to the next level - leadership. You're a born leader and your path in life will present you with many opportunities to demonstrate your ability. Your strong pioneering spirit, courage, and determination will serve you well along this road. Career/vocation options include fields where you can use your quick mental agility, such as business, health, government, or even a bookstore.

TWO (2): Your path will lead you to seek balance and harmony in all that you do and you'll learn the benefits of cooperation and compromise, as well as patience and peacekeeping. Once you've incorporated these traits, you'll move on to the next phase - drawing others together. You were born to relate to others - and make certain that others relate well to each other as well. But be sure to remember not to ignore yourself and your own needs while you're making sure everyone else is cooperating. People with 2 Life Paths are extremely sensitive that they need to be careful not to become the world's doormat. Career/vocation options include jobs that allow you to mediate, negotiate, take care of details, be in a supportive role, or gather facts.

THREE (3): Your path will entice you to be both spontaneous and creative, to live your life with joy and imagination. You will learn the benefits of optimism and enthusiasm, and how to express your emotions and exuberance. Once you've mastered these concepts, you'll move on to the next phase - inspiring others. You're a born communicator and your wit and lightheartedness will help others see the joy in any situation. Artistic, creative, and articulate are words to describe someone with a 3 Life Path. Career/vocation options should relate to anything artistic - writing, speaking, designing, illustrating, dancing, etc.

FOUR (4): Your path will lead you to work hard and systematically. You'll learn the benefis of loyalty and following the rules, all the while remaining loyal and steadfast. Reliability is key and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - building for the long term. You're a born builder because security is a big deal for you. Others look to you to manage and control the situation. Career/vocation options include bookkeeping, accounting, and work where organization is valued - administration, education, business, etc.

FIVE (5): You'll have many forks along your path and you'll welcome each change as a new opportunity with unknown results. Change is key and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - championing freedom. You're progressive and super-resourceful, which make you equally good at many different trades. Career/vocation options include working with the public, advertising, publicity, or sales - any kind of work that calls for energizing power rather than routine. Travel is well-suited to you.

SIX (6): Your path will lead you to live responsibly at home and work to achieve balance between giving and receiving. This path is one of aid and service, and once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - achieving balance between giving and receiving. You're a born counselor - sympathetic and caring - which makes others seek you out for advice. Career/vocation options include any job in the service industry where you can make life more comfortable, easy, and luxurious for others, including medicine, decorating, beauty products, training animals, teaching, and counseling.

SEVEN (7): Your path will lead you to study, test, and analyze everything because you can't be satisfied with anything at face value. You'll seek the meaning of existence and will always be exploring mysteries and the unexplainable to find meaning for your life. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - sharing your wisdom of the metaphysical with others. You're a born seeker - philosophical, scientific, etc. - and because of your solitary investigation of the unknown, others will seek you out for your wisdom. Career/vocation options include any job that calls for analysis, deductive reasoning, or scientific knowledge, such as teaching, or any field where you'll be allowed to study or contemplate things bigger than you.

EIGHT (8 ): Your path will lead you to work out the difference between money and the real value of life. You must learn what to do with your natural power and authority, but this is not an easy path. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - being in charge. You're a born boss and your natural power and authority cause others to look to you when a decision needs to be made. The reward or you won't necessarily be financial but may come in terms of accomplishment and legacy. Career/vocation options include any field where you can be in charge and where you can utilize your superior skill of good judgment.

NINE (9): Your path will lead you to understand the interconnectedness of all things. It's a path of universal love that learns compassion and tolerance. Once you've learned this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - tolerance for all and the importance of caring for each other. You're a born healer and your healing may take the form of writing, composing, painting, or sculpting - reaching others by truly connecting to them. You'll be learning how to let go, to surrender the self for greater good. Career/vocation options include the arts, international business, education, and health - any line of work designed to help, heal, or humanize.

ELEVEN (11/2): Much is expected of you with this Master Life Path. Your path will lead you to illuminate humankind inspirationaly. Sometimes you will work at the level of the 2 to bring toward you meaningful associations so that others will find you accessible. Once you've mastered your lessons, you'll move on to the next phase - becoming an inpirational leader. You're a born charismatic leader, magnetic and electric. You'll often find yourself in the spotlight, as the center of attention. Your mission is to be someone others look to for illumination and truth, and the truer you are to Universal principles, the happier and more successful you'll be on your path. Career/vocation options include any field where you can be the teacher, diplomat, or speaker or any field were you'll be in the spotlight and able to work with large groups.

TWENTY-TWO (22/4): Your path is special and will lead you to turn dreams into reality. The 22/4 Life Path, like the 4, is one who builds and manifests - but with a larger purpose. Once you've mastered this lesson, you'll move on to the next phase - becoming a Master Builder. You're a born creator of activities that benefit all and you're seen by others as extraordinary. You reinforce your word with deeds, over and over again, and others know your word is as good as gold. Good management principles are behind what you do and what you do is for the lasting good of humankind. Career/vocation options include a planner, organizer, diplomat, minister, or any work that allows you to utilize your considerable talent for organizing, being efficient, and applying your practical know-how to build a dream. You command a respect and are seen as an expert in your field, destined to be a leader who is both practical and inspirational.

Quote:

Quote:

Third Year Classes

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas