Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
What was the last animal you came across?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What kind of place do you live in?
  City
  Suburb
  Rural
  Something wacky like at sea
View Results

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:15 am
And how did the encounter go?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:06 am
I am from the stiiiiiicks way in the boogie woods lol. So other than our house cat the last animal i came across woulda been deer yesterday before I went to mow. They're used to me though I wave and say howdy and the older ones roll their eyes I swear it rolleyes then ignore me. These were 2 youngins tho and they hauled butt up into the woods.

We've had an ongoing fued with a family of groundhogs in our back yard also. We have a gym whistle we blow at them daily to run them out of the garden.. I think they consider it worth the stress of being whistled at lol.. They're winning.

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

Professional Conversationalist

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:10 am
Haha that's awesome thank you for sharing mrgreen

The encounter that prompted me to post this thread yesterday was that I was getting going in the morning, stretching and looking out across the view from my window (city life), when some movement amongst the stillness caught my attention.

I look down to a neighbor's one and a half story high fence and see a tabby cat just walking across this maybe six inch wide structure. Not only is the cat not bothered at all by the height and narrow room, it just plops down midway and falls asleep. What a life!

We also have a lot of various birds throughout the morning, plenty of dogs passing by being walked throughout the rest of the day, and various flying insects that sneak in thru open windows and congregate around light sources at night.

All that plus a house cat. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:37 pm
We had a .. donno if it was a stork, crane bird or what perched in our creek next week. and a little hawk has been stalking our yard too. biiiig birdos!  

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:57 pm
Jealous of the wide range of wildlife mrgreen

A family member of mine also lives in a more remote area and sends pictures and videos of wildlife that trigger their ring camera at night. Surprising amount of deer, but also smaller creatures like raccoons, possums, and cats. Once sent a bear eek  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:54 pm
oo ya we got a trail cam up at my brothers tree stand.. the tiny bit he actually hunts lol. and its mostly deer but occassionally bear. had one rush the porch few yrs back when they'd relocated a family of trouble making bears that were starting to crowd campsites at a park couple hours away.. turned em loose way up in mountains here but they just came back down to ppl. poor thing was a yearling only a year or two old but brother had to put it down when it kept rushing porch. conservation was able to tranq dart the mom and dad and other yearling to re relocate em but.. not sure how well that worked out. the ones up there now are probably native though we've never seen em except on trail cam at night and i hope it stays that way.

now the front porch trail cam is moms attempt to fight the trash panda raccoons that keep digging out her flower pots for fun and jerking roses out of flower beds.. and a squirrel keeps eating our porch. and last week there was an oppossum on porch like.. why? opposums arent even destruct nuts they just forage. no food on porch. i'm in the sticks in wv. its wild here lol

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:26 pm
Sad to hear someone had to put down one of the bears, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Raccoons can be little scamps but one time recently on a long trail walk my family and I were chased by a one-eyed raccoon for over two and a half miles! The trail was an unusual one with a high bank on one side that flattened out where the trail was, then continued down towards a riverbed. So, this guy comes charging down the bank behind us, right thru our group and down the hill, circles back behind us and basically cuts off our retreat back to the trailhead. We have to keep going down the trail because we don't know what this wild creature has, not gonna risk it especially with a couple small kids with us. So I'm in the back making noise at it, waving my walking stick, etc. walking slowly while the others continue on.

Well, long story short, had to call 911, a sheriff came out to the far end of the trail and walked in past us and took care of the little problem maker. Crazy day.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:39 pm
My last encounter was skirting around a bunch of foxes walking home from work at 1am this morning.
They take over the streets in my rural town once the last drunk has left.
If they weren't horrible murderous beasts they'd be kind of cute.  

AaronAlroy

Crew

Sparkly Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:00 pm
Huh. I wasn't aware of the threat foxes pose! Is that typical?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:20 pm
If bugs count, then earlier today I saw a red spider. I hit it with a slipper.  

WorthyPraiser

11,150 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Runway First Contestant 50
  • Invisibility 100

AaronAlroy

Crew

Sparkly Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:37 am
I'm from Wales where there are a lot of farms and associated land.
Foxes look cute but here they get into chicken coops and the end result is so visually disturbing that you just can't look at them the same again.
They have a habit of sneaking into houses and getting at small children too, so not a lot of love for them around these parts lol.
Cute dogs everywhere thoooo 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:56 am
Learning a lot ITT

The spider story reminds me I need to get a flyswatter mrgreen  

Centurionix

Floppy Member

6,375 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Rally Tyro 100

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:42 am
Had a cute tiny red spider hang onto our car all the way from home to the grocery store and back... so when we got back we got him off teh car and put him in the woods.. We don't blame him for not getting off in town. We prefer teh woods too blaugh

felt sorry for a very barely moving wasp today hiding in my kindling i hauled outta storage.. i left him outside but let him live.. which for me is something cuz all wasps are the devil usually but.. they're kinda pitiful this time of year.. another reason i love winter tho. buh bai bugs! if the spideys and stink bugs would gtfo my room.. i should take out my ac.. but soon as i do there'll be a hot day.. but i think the bugs sneak thru it.. strugglebus beep beep!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:46 am
Someone brought their big black labrador into the store yesterday and I got to say hi to probably the best boy ever. heart  

AaronAlroy

Crew

Sparkly Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:33 pm
AaronAlroy
Someone brought their big black labrador into the store yesterday and I got to say hi to probably the best boy ever. heart

labs are the best boys ever! heart I've had a big garden spider living on my outside window. it hung in there even with the ac rumbling, after i took out ac, every time i open and close window at night i wait while she skitters back up to the corner clapboards lol.. i hope she makes it thru the winter to next year. i think garden spiders make it a couple years.

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games