Welcome to Gaia! ::

Team Snagem: A Pokemon RP

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying Guild offering a wide variety of features and characters. 

Tags: Gijinka, Snagem, Pokemon, Literate, Roleplay 

Reply Team Snagem Guild
Victory Road [Paldea Arc] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:29 pm
Still on the road to Cortondo, I continued on only ever so periodically keeping up with my map on the SNAG. I didn’t really want to get lost out here. I was reminded of just how weird it was, me walking out here on my own to do this. Many trainers really didn’t have what I got going for me. A whole party and a whole slew of battle experience from seemingly countless battles. I remembered back in the day when I was younger, Volkner, the Sunyshore gym leader in Sinnoh, considered it a fair bit. Though, that I could recall…he was bored. The trainers that were going into his gym just weren’t doing it for him and he wanted to see if being a champion would fix that. He never did, however. Not sure as to why either. I suppose he figured something out? Maybe he realized that running out looking for the fight wasn’t going to be that cure for boredom that he was looking for. Who knows.

Most I know, there wasn’t too much going on my end right now. A Wild Pokémon attack here or there, maybe, but nothing that any of my party couldn’t take care of. Though incidentally, I am left to ask… “God, how far do these olive fields stretch?” I said to myself as I continued to follow the path down. I ended up finding my way, finding myself at the edge of a cliff. According to the map on the SNAG, that lead to a bunch of flatlands alongside a river. The path down to it was effectively a dead end and not a good way to find my way up to Cortondo. At least on foot, that is. Though I had to admit, the view looked nice.

As I looked out into the distance, I then took note to something out in the flats, something that stuck out rather hard in this otherwise serene view. “The hell…is…that?” I could only ask. In the distance, I could only see something shining, glistening in the distance. I didn’t have any binoculars like Freth does; I still never bothered getting myself a pair. Maybe I should do so at some point in this trip. Regardless, as much as I wanted to get to Cortondo, I did effectively have all day. I could spare a bit of time to explore here and there. I could stand to back track some. I followed the trail down and started to go down towards the river, towards the shining spot that I saw out on the middle of effectively nowhere.

Reaching the spot, I stared in confusion…that feeling was back again. The feeling from the crater, though not as strong. Though stronger than the Pokémon I saw crystalize during the battle at the academy. “…?” I couldn’t describe it. It protruded out from the ground, shining a brownish-orange color. It radiated with a fierce light that seemed to reach out towards the skies. There was a crevace in it; I could actually step inside of it if I wanted to. It seemed to go down into the earth somehow…I didn’t quite understand it. The last time I saw anything like this, even remotely similar, it was actually in Galar. Those stone, hexagonal structures planted into the ground. Though what was in them apparently was dyna-whatevered Pokémon. “I…don’t think I want anything to do with that…” I said. I started to fear the worse a little, honestly.

I stepped back, curiosity appeased. I made my way off and back for the main path back to Cortondo. I made my way back towards the path I came down and started my way up the hill. As I did, managed to get a look from the distance, taking note to the crater. It left me to wonder whatever the heck is in that crater is influencing the land around this place. I wish I could get some sort of straight answer right now, but all the same, it leaves me a bit uneased. Similar to that dyna-whatever stuff in Galar. And yet the people who lives around such things are okay with it. What is up with this world. Honestly?

I made my way off towards back into the olive fields, trying to get back on the main path to Cortondo. I then perked up, taking note to something. Another bright light close by…another one of those crystal structures? I was just coming through here earlier…I didn’t notice anything like that. Wait…this thing is moving. As it got closer, I started to see through its radiance, leaving me staring in confusion. “What the…?” It of all things was a Diglett…but why was it glowing like that? Worse, it was coming this way. I put my hand on one of my Pokéballs. I watched it with great trepidation, something I never imagined myself doing to a Diglett at any other day. It took notice to me as I was standing by, still carefully observing it, trying to step around it and started to step backward, making sure that it wasn’t going to go on the attack suddenly. I wasn’t all that sure as to how aggressive it was…but I wasn’t taking any chances.

“DIGG-LL!” It shouted. Suddenly the Diglett became incased in more of that weird crystal and in an eruption, it emerged, crystalized itself. Though instead of that “eye” shaped crown like the Pokémon from the other day, but instead it was some sort of tiny building. Shaped like a mausoleum of ancient times. The crystal glistened and shined a brownish and orange instead of the neon pinkish color.

“Son of a…” It then sparkled fiercely and it harkened a few boulders, quickly having me to dart out of the way from being crushed by them. “A Rock Tomb? Cheeky b*****d…looks like we’re doing this now. Mudkip!” I shouted, tossing the ball out, revealing the Mudkip out for battle. “Alright, Mudkip, I hate to throw you to the proverbial wolves already, but I have no idea what’s going on with this. I’m still under the assumption that its still running with its ground typing, so use Water Pulse!” I shouted to it. The Mudkip would rear back and unleashed its pulse towards the Diglett, pelting the supposed-to-be ground type. Much to my relief, it didn’t take kind to the water attack. It still was weak to Water attacks, if nothing else.

The Diglett then would take to the ground, digging under the earth, though leaving a bigger hole than normally, perhaps to compensate for its newfound headwear. “Of course it does. Mudkip, stay alert.” I said, trying to get a read of it myself. It was a moment, practically silent. I almost wondered if that Water Pulse attack scared it off. I then perked up, something tripping my senses. “Mudkip, move!” I shouted. My warning would come to Mudkip all too late. The Diglett rammed into the Mudkip directly underneath the water type and practically flipped it up in the air.

“MUUUD!” It squealed out before hit the ground.

“Mudkip! You okay?” The Mudkip pulled itself back up, sore, but otherwise fine. I stared in confusion for a moment, though. For something that looked nasty enough, that…didn’t seem to have caused the damage it should have. I shook my head. Thoughts for another time. “Mudkip! Use Take Down!” Mudkip would then quickly rush for the Diglett. The Diglett would move off to the side, weaving around, averting Mudkip’s relentless tackles, retaliating, and Scratching away at Mudkip. The Mudkip would yelp once again, but would quickly power through, planting itself then thrusted forward, ramming into the Diglett full force. However, much to my confusion, the Diglett, while taking some damage, was relatively undeterred. It was only enough to make it wince a bit instead of reeling due to it being otherwise frail. “….the hell did this crystal crap do to it…? Still weak to water, but didn’t mind too much over a Take Down attack?” I stared at the crown once more, quickly starting to think the most likely scenerio. “…Rock…type?” I asked. “That stuff changed you into a rock type? Futz with the type nothing, it outright changes it if need be. In fact, that Rock Tomb did look a bit stronger than normal, now that I think about it…”

The Diglett to prove the point more, flashed once again and unleashed another Rock Tomb, smashing large rocks and wedging the Mudkip within them. “Blast it!” Mudkip wasn’t looking too hot at this point. I needed this fight to be over now. “Mudkip! Move!” I shouted. The Mudkip forced itself out of the rocks, but as it did so, the Diglett was already on the attack, digging under the ground once more. “Blast it…” I had to wait for the moment. As soon as my senses tripped, I immediately gave the command: “Mudkip! Protect!” I shouted.

The Mudkip got into a bracing position and put a shield out. The Diglett rammed into the barrier, pushing Mudkip back, but the Mudkip was no worse for wear. “Water Pulse!” I then shouted. Once again, the Mudkip unleashed the Water Pulse upon the Diglett, splashing it and causing intense damage to the crystalized Pokémon. The attack drilled in hard and much to my astonishment, I noticed the crystal cracking and finally falling off the Diglett, the crown itself. With that said though, a moment of confusion rolled through me. When I fought that evolved Girafarig, that thing was knocked out as soon as that crystallization was taken off; I was under the assumption that when the Pokémon was done, so was this terastal thing. I suppose not. The Diglett, though weary, was still standing. “Well aren’t you a gutsy one?” I said. “Though, I’m betting anything that now that its off of you, you’re not acting like a Rock type anymore, are you?”

“Dig…llll…” It said. It shook its head, trying to get the stars shook out from around it, trying to psych itself up for one last hurrah. It rushed for Mudkip, smacking the water type with its Astonish.

“Are you-…just had to get last word somehow…Mudkip! Take Down!” I said. Granted this was probably overkill, but I had to confirm something to myself. The Mudkip shook its head and retaliated, ramming into the Diglett. This time, it had the impact it should have, causing a good deal of damage and finally putting the Diglett out of the fight.

“…that…was more of a headache than what it should have been. And new trainers have to deal with this?” I asked, knowing it was not going to be answered. With a sigh, I made my way over to Mudkip to give the water type a look over. “Man, he got you good…but hey, not bad for your first rodeo, huh?”

“Mudkip…”

“Hey, it’ll get better. Keep at it.” I said, giving a few pats on the Mudkip for reassurance. After a moment more, I would recall the Mudkip back to his Pokeball. “…I hope at least.” I then silently said after Mudkip was safely secured. Suddenly, Cortondo couldn’t come soon enough…  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:30 pm
I continued on through the olive fields, I could only wonder what was going on at the time with the others. I don’t think I saw any of those Squakabilly Taxis fly overhead. I guess those that was taking that legends path wasn’t going to come this way? I don’t know. Haven’t seen or heard anything of those Team Star guys walking about either. I’m almost left to wonder if I come across one of those places I could just go in and tear them a new one anyways. If I am just left to my own devices out here, I am bound to run into where they are hiding after all. I am pretty much out to explore this place to the most I could. Would I be able to take them on with the team I got right now? Honestly? I kind of doubt it. Perhaps with my fully trained team, maybe. Just to deal with whatever numbers they might have.

I took out my SNAG once more to check how far it was to Cortondo from here. I still had a ways to go. At the rate I was going, I could make it there by lunch, probably. “Hey!” A voice called out. I looked away from my SNAG and took a look around, noticing someone approaching me. I then took a double take to look around, pointing to myself. “Yes, you. Are you a trainer?”

“……yes?” I replied.

“I take it you’re heading to Cortondo. I just left there myself to head off to Artazon. I’m looking to get in a few battles along the way.”

“Just left? Presumably you did the gym challenge?” I said.

“That’s right.”

“Alright, I’m game.” I said to him. “Let’s head over there out of the way of the fields.”

I’d follow the trainer off a path away and when we made our way to a clearing I took a position. I suppose this could work out. Get some sort of work out before the actual gym battle. “Got to say, we don’t see too many hybrids taking the gym challenge. They don’t ever seem to be interested for some reason.”

“To each their own, really.” I said.

“Are you ready?”

“Whenever you are.” I then replied.

“Go! Maschiff!” The trainer called out. The Trainer tossed out the Pokeball and out came the aggressive looking hound, massive scowl and growl and all. I’m guessing he too ran into one of those around here but decided to capture it along the way. Fortunately, I knew where this was probably about to go. Let’s try this another way instead of sending Zigzagoon after it.

“Go! Vulpix!” I called out. I tossed out the ball and out came the snowy white fox, out ready for battle.

“Keoooo!” The Vulpix howled out once it was out of the ball. I had to admit, I was a little leery on sending Vulpix out, but it was bound to happen eventually. I trained it all I could in the training room with the tools I had. Trained it with my other Pokémon and various other means that I had at my disposal. Controlled conditions they were, sure, but it was a lot better than nothing.

“That…is not like any Vulpix I ever seen before.” The trainer stated. “Variant, then?”

“That’s right.” I said, crossing my arms.

“Alright, lets see what it can do. Go, Maschiff! Use Bite!” he shouted. The Maschiff started rushing as fast as it could, trying to get traction at first on the soil under its paws then rushed full speed at the Vulpix.

“Vulpix! Move!” I shouted. The Vulpix leaped up as the hound tried to clamp down. I wanted to conserve Vulpix as much as I could in this battle. The more battling it could do, the better, as far as I could imagine. “Vulpix, use Icy Wind!” I shouted.

“Keeeo!” The Vulpix’s tails fans out and it unleashes a biting gale towards the dark type Pokémon. The Maschiff braces for impact as the Icy Wind starts making it shiver and impair its already lumbering movements.

“Ice!?” The Trainer exclaimed. “Now that’s actually kind of funny. Though that also gives me ideas. Maschiff, Headbutt!”

The Maschiff powers through the icy wind and started to make the rush for Vulpix. As far as I was concerned, Vulpix already was nimble and could run circles around this hound. With Icy Wind, it might as well have been standing still. It left me wondering what this trainer’s MO was. He did seem to have a plan. “Vulpix, stop it, get out of the way!” I called out. As the Maschiff leapt up to dive into the Vulpix, once again, Vulpix jumped out of the way again. The mutt made impact on the dirt, kicking up all manner of dust and debris. “Brute forcing this isn’t going to get you out of this.”

“You’re right.” I then took notice to the ground as the dust settled. The Pokémon was no where to be found. Only a hole where he made impact.

“Dig…son of a…VULPIX!”

“Maschiff! Dig attack!” The earth under the Vulpix’s paws started to shift and threw the Vulpix off balance, just long enough for the Maschiff to ram right into the Vulpix and launched it off. “Crap! Vulpix!” The Vulpix hit the ground, cringing hard from the attack. The vulpix pulled itself up, not feeling too hot about the hit it just took. “Maschiff! Use Scary Face!” the trainer then shouted. The Maschiff roared out, bearing fangs and perhaps the most intimidating look that Vulpix ever seen. The Vulpix couldn’t help but to be intimidated, backing up a couple of steps.

“Vulpix! Don’t let it get to you! Confuse Ray!” I then shouted. The Vulpix then shook its head, trying to psych itself up. The Vulpix then unleashed a hard ethereal flash, catching the Maschiff in its influencing light. The Maschiff was uneasy on its feet now, trying to discern up from down, left from its right.

“Oh no…Maschiff, use Bite!” The trainer shouted. The Maschiff tried to comply with the command but as it tried running forward, it stumbled and all it could bite was the ground, hurting itself in its confusion.

“Perfect, Aurora Beam!” I shouted.

“KEEEO!” The Vulpix shouted, charging a chilling light before it and blasting the Maschiff right back off its feet after eating dirt. The Maschiff shook its head once more, fiercely at that, managing to shake the confusion off before it took any more damage.

“You’re better, Maschiff? Good! Use Dig again!” the trainer shouted. The hound once again started digging again, burying itself into the earth.

“Vulpix, wait on it. There are other ways to deal with this.” I said. The Vulpix waited, still intimidated over the look the Maschiff gave it, but it was trying to remain on faith that I knew what to do. The Dig attack I started to realize was perhaps this trainers best chance to get any damage on Vulpix. Vulpix could keep the Maschiff at range, provided there was a target there. The ground was its cover. The Dig attack was to close the gap no matter what. We needed to lock this thing down. “Get it, Maschiff!”

“Vulpix! Move!” I then commanded.

The Vulpix quickly looked down and scrambled out of the way as the Maschiff erupted from the ground. As Vulpix tries to get away, the Maschiff lands then started to give chase to the icy fox, jaws wide open to bite down on it. “Vulpix! Ice Shard!” I then called out.

The Vulpix, ears perked up, quickly turned around, firing a bunch of rapid fire large needles of ice, pelting the Maschiff, stopping its pursuit of the fox. “Maschiff! Power through it, headbutt!” the trainer would shout. It would shift posture, powering through the attack and rammed into Vulpix, causing a great deal of damage, knocking it onto the ground.

“Vulpix! You okay?” The Vulpix would howl out in response, could still fight, but it wasn’t going to take much more.

“Maschiff! Bite it!” The trainer would once again command.

“Vulpix, Aurora Beam!” Once more the Vulpix would fire its rainbow like blast towards the Maschiff. The trainer one too many times has gotten this hound to challenge Vulpix’s attack, matching the hound’s resilience against Vulpix developing assault power, but unfortunately, this time, this was one too many. As it tried to power through the attack, the Aurora Beam over took it, blasting it back and finally putting the hound down for the count in this battle.

“There we go.” I said.

“Ugh, so much for that.” The trainer said. The trainer would recall the Maschiff back to its Pokeball and got another Pokeball out. “I’m not done yet. How about another one! Go! Mudbray!” the trainer then shouted. I took notice to what it was…apparently they did have them around here, it seemed. But as far as this battle is concerned, this was not good. If Vulpix was still fresh in the fight, I would have been more confident in leaving her out to take this thing out too, but as for now? I think I’m going to have to send Cubchoo now…

“Vulpix, good work, take a breather. I’ll get someone else in this battle.” I said, recalling the fox. “Alright then, go, Cubchoo!” I shouted. I then tossed the Pokeball out and out came the snow-white bear out for battle, replete with a sneeze and a large snot to follow.

“That’s generally a Unovan Pokémon, isn’t it?”

“I’ve been places.”

“I also know that too is an ice type. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised seeing what you are.” The trainer said. “Mudbray! Stomp it!”

The Mudbray rushes over, but as it does so, Cubchoo immediately loses a bit of its nerve, quickly turning around and rushing back towards my way. Before it could, the Mudbray puts all of its weight, stomping down onto the bear, driving it into the dirt. “Cubchoo! I told you, you got to stand your ground. Its not going to get any better unless you stand up to it.”

“Cub…chaa…” It spoke up.

“Bulldoze!” The trainer then said, trying to put a quick end to the fight.

“Ice Punch!” I shouted. “Like we worked on! Go!” As the Mudbray got ready to lay ever more of an extensive hurt, the Cubchoo pushed itself up, its hands frosted heavily, and with one mighty swing, clocked the pony right in its long face. Ice spread out from its head on down as it fell to the ground. “Yes! Just like that!” Cubchoo himself was quite surprised over it, staring at his paw and the fallen over Mudbray.

“Mudbray! Are you okay?” The trainer asked. The Mudbray picked itself back up and shook all the ice it could off its face, not caring for the attack like that. “Good! Use Double Kick!” The trainer shouted.

“Cubchoo! Watch it! That’s something to dodge! GO!”

The Mudbray rushed over and as soon as it did it tries to stomp down on Cubchoo. Cubchoo, watching it, manages to avert the initial attack, but the horse quickly piviots, and takes the two rear feet instead, kicked fiercely and driven away from the horse. The attack was harsh. “Cubchoo! Are you alright?”

“Chaaaa…” It spoke up. It pushed itself off the ground, but it wasn’t taking another hit like that one. Or much of anyone.

“Don’t give it any leeway, Mudbray! Kick it again!” he shouted.

“Cubchoo! Get ready!” I shouted. The Mudbray started to rush over towards the bear, ready to put a end to this battle. The Mudbray went, just as before, to stomp down on its ice type opponent. “Fury Swipes!” I then shouted.

The bear moves out of the way of the stomp, but it remembered. The pivot, the fierce kick, that was where the damage was. The Cubchoo leaped up and grabbed the pony’s face instead, stopping the double kick in mid execution. The Mudbray shook its head about and the Cubchoo scrambled, around its head, down its neck and on its back. The claws then came out and the Cubchoo furiously swiped away, trying to rack up all manner of damage it could. The Mudbray whined out, now bucking and kicking, trying to get the bear off. It was an unwanted rider. It needed to go. “CUBCHAAA!” Cubchoo shouted, holding on tight in its impromptu rodeo.

“Hang on tight, Cubchoo! Wear it down!”

“Get it off, Mudbray!” I knew that in Mudbray’s case, there wasn’t much it could do other than flail about as it tried to get Cubchoo off. Though Cubchoo was in the same predicament. So long as he was trying to maintain staying on that horse, it couldn’t attack. We were at the standstill until one of the Pokémon gave way. Cubchoo however was at a disadvantage. It was already nastily hurt from the Double Kick and the Stomp it already took from this Mudbray. It was affecting him. I could see it. Maybe I could do something else…

“Screw it…Cubchoo, Frost Breath!” I shouted. The Cubchoo had to adjust itself then breathed out a chilling breath which wrecked all manner of havoc on top of the Mudbray. It whined out in pain, giving it that extra motivation and eventually managed to kick Cubchoo off its back. As Cubchoo hit the ground, the Mudbray cringed severely. The icy attack was not at all kosher, frostbite ran rampant up and down its back. Cubchoo managed to push itself back up and started to run back towards the pony, still under the assumption it needed to stay on.

“Mudbray, its alright! Its off of you! Bulldoze it!” The trainer said.

“Cubchoo! Here it comes! Dive down. Ice Punch it!” I then commanded. As the Mudbray reared back, ready to rock the immediate area with its ground attack, the Cubchoo dove down to the ground, right under the Mudbray as it reared back. Its claws, once again frosted. “CUB-CHAA!” The bear shouted, ramming its icy punch into the underside of the Mudbray. The Mudbray’s eyes went wide as the punch drove into the underside of its torso, a pained wheeze came from it as it stagged back, stopping its attack. Its front legs collapsed, and with its front legs unable to keep the Pokémon up, the rest of it fell over.

Cubchoo stared at the Mudbray as it wheezed, trying to bring itself back to fight. The trainer, however, knew that even if it could get back up, it probably wasn’t feasible to do so. “Alright, I’m beat.” The trainer said, conceding this battle. “I do have another Pokémon on me, but it’s a grass type, and if you’re loaded with nothing but ice types, then I don’t think it’s going to do me any good.”

“No more after that, admittedly, but I do have a fire type on hand just for the record. And two other Pokémon after that.” I said.

“Oh, man, you really did come prepared, didn’t you?” The trainer said. “Man, you might not have a problem at all in Cortondo.”

After the after battle pleasantries finally came to the end, the two of us finally went separate ways. Sort of. With two of the trainer’s Pokémon out of commission, the trainer found it more sensible to just instead backtrack to Cortondo and go to the Pokémon center and try to start to Artazon fresh again. It wasn’t far from here, after all.  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Reno Vantas
Vice Captain

Magnetic Hunter

6,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:30 pm
Reno would give a wave to both Terashi and Blizz as they set off in opposite directions. Giving it a moment until he heard Aden speak up first, Reno would let out a slow groan as Blizz's presence being here began to register. "I was really hoping he would be doing Starfall with Sub. Guess we'll see how that plays out without any voice of restraint...." Reno grumbled out, rubbing his forehead with his right hand for a moment before taking a breath and straightening up. "Okay, Aden. I get you wanna follow Blizz cause you're still worried but...what else do ya think you can do? You've already thrown him the best shot he has at avoiding that. Obsessively monitoring for the most miniscule change like he's one step away from changing won't help that."

Pausing as he finished, Reno would already be drawing a conclusion for something that might actually make Aden feel better for some of this. Namely informing the one person who wouldn't be hunting for some miniscule change, but would be the first to pick up on it. "....actually, why don't we tell Freth all about our trip? Might get some insight from her companion, plus she'd at least have an idea of what to look for." Reno said, staring off towards where Blizz had disappeared to for his adventures across those interesting mesas. "....I don't know if any of that came across as unduly harsh, I wasn't aiming for that. I mostly just wanted to make it so your decision for where to go would be more what you want and less whats the best way to go to minimize theoretical damage."

As he finished, one part of Aden's statement would finally register. ".....Wait, Crystal is coming along too? Man, I missed a lot while I was getting my bike."  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:22 pm
I would finally make it to Cortondo and stared at the town before me. Replete with Villas and storefronts abound. A far cry from the castle like city that was Mesagoza. Wide open spaces, commerce from one end of the main street to the other. I would find my way to the kiosk of a Pokémon Center, begrudgingly, still wishing there was actual facilities so I knew that my Pokémon were well taken care of. At least the feeling of care. I suppose that’s just the whole culture differences between regions. Turning my Pokémon over to the attendant at the healing table, she would go about her work, all routine as she was concerned. I minded my tongue, trying to not show my disdain over the whole situation. I’m sure the attendant was fine and all, but I am still having the hardest time in the world thinking that having these kiosks dotted here and there through the region is all people needed.

After my Pokémon’s treatment was done, I made my way off to go explore the town. I took out my SNAG, checking the time. It was a bit after lunch…apparently, I spent longer out in the paths that weaved through the olive fields than I thought I did. Well, between the battles that I found myself in and taking a temporary detour to go check what was otherwise to me an oddity, I suppose it was to be expected. I was getting kind of hungry. I started to walk down the street, trying to see what was out here. A deli here. A bakery there. A country-looking diner. A hotel. Probably be hitting that up later depending on how long that I end up staying here. Otherwise, nothing all too appealing or interesting. You know what…screw it.

I walked off towards the deli and bought a few things then started my way off for the other side of the town. We were given picnic supplies…might as well use them. As I continued on across the town, I took note to the other things about. A raised courtyard like area…it looked to be a Pokémon battle field. Interesting spot to do that, I guess. Though speaking of Pokémon battling, there was a building that stood out compared to the rest of the town. A lot more modernized and really didn’t necessarily fit as far as aesthetics were around here. Taking note to a nearby sign, I made a note to myself. Cortondo Pokémon gym…so this was it, huh? I was a bit tempted to go ahead and challenge the gym now since I am here and do the picnic afterwards. But I did still have all day, almost. I just would simply turn away and continue on through Cortondo, eventually finding my way to the other side of it and making some distance from the area.

Once I felt I was in a good enough clearing where nothing should be bothering us, I took out my PokéBalls and gave them a toss out onto the field, releasing each one of my Pokémon. “Hey Guys, you up for lunch?” I asked them. Each of them, with their respective chirps, barks, yips, and so on replied with glee, ready to dig in to whatever I was willing to fix. “Well, give me a bit to get everything set up here and we’ll have at it alright?” I said. I started to pull out various things. A collapsible picnic table, complete with a basic table cloth. Plates and bowls, basic silverware and the like. A thermos meant for drinks of any kind, though I didn’t bother using it. I ended up getting a few bottles of water and a Coke when I went shopping just a little bit ago. Also, an oddity…a ball. Just an ordinary rubber ball. “Hey guys.” I said, tossing the ball in the group of youngling Pokémon. The Pokémon all were all over the new toy, much more than I had imagined they’d be. Zigzagoon was quick to pounce on it, only to roll off the top of it. The others headbutted it to each other or swatted it in whatever fashion they could. I couldn’t help but to chuckle as they had their bit of fun.

As they started to play around with the ball, I went to proceed on fixing lunch for the bunch. I fixed a large sandwich…roast beef, turkey, ham, cheddar cheese. I split the sandwich in half, one half for me, the other half, sectioned off for the five other Pokémon. Their small selves didn’t need such a large amount like some other Pokémon would. I would then fix up my sandwich with mayo and everything was ready. “Guys, alright, order up!” I called off to them.

The bunch ran over and started to run over. Zigzagoon would end up hopping up on the bench, ready to stuff his face, followed by Vulpix. Cubchoo would find himself on the other side, climbing up himself. Torchic and Mudkip would need help getting up on the table. I would reach over, picking them up and placing them both on the table putting them near their own respective meals. “Dig in guys. Enjoy.” I said. As we all ate our meals, I couldn’t help but to watch them. I have to admit, this…was actually pretty nice. This is what a vacation needed to be. Something to relax over, enjoy the company of friends, even if its something simple like merely having a picnic on a clear afternoon like this. I knew I needed time like this…to actually relax. Enjoy the simple things. But the way just this sudden decompression that just hit me in this way, I didn’t realize just exactly how bad I needed it. It was almost as if everything else in this region, let alone anywhere else, just didn’t matter anymore.

It would be a bit before we all were done. The Pokémon were content as was I. Some of the Pokémon went back out to play after their meal, others like Torchic wanted to just relax for the time being, sitting in my lap, nuzzled up, and drifted off to sleep. Zigzagoon would snuggle up next to me, curled up as well on the bench and went on to saw logs. Though its weird he’s doing it with his tongue out as he does. All the same, I’d just let them be at this point. As I sit here drinking a Coke watching them, I could see that this is how it probably should have been. Between the constant battles and stresses that happened elsewhere in the world, they didn’t have to worry about any of that anymore, at least for now. This is actually fun being had instead of being cooped up in a headquarters constantly because of their inexperience or age. I was going to let them indulge.  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm
I’d let the Pokémon get their leisure for a little while longer than I initially planned, but when it looked like everyone was good and content, I started to clean up the area, putting the table and other items away, gathered up the garbage, and so on. Then finally got the Pokémon together and finally recalled them back to their PokéBalls. Felt generally rested and ready to go, I made my way back into Cortondo. I suppose it was about time to finally take on the gym. I made my way into the gym, and everything was apparently bog standard to what I imagined. A lobby, if nothing else. A service attendant behind the counter on the far side of the lobby. The gym battle floor must be in the back. I approached the attendant at the counter after taking a sigh to myself, still trying to shake the weirdness of being a gym apprentice going on a gym tour in another region. “Afternoon.”

“Yes, are you here for a gym battle?” the attendant asked.

“I am.”

“Okay, just a few things…” I would follow the instructions that would soon be given. Nothing major, stuff that I am well aware of myself being with the Mahogany Gym. My victory road status and general current Pokémon status, background, yadda yadda. Pretty bog standard. “Alright, all done. Okay, so before you face the gym leader, each gym has a test for you to complete before you actually qualify to face off against the gym leader. Okay, another thing unsurprising.

“Presumably battling an appointed trainer of the gym. Who is it?” I asked.

“What? Oh, no. No no no…I guess things are different in Jhoto, aren’t they?” the attendant asked.

“…by that tone, I’d imagine so.” I said.

“Head back outside and north east of the city.” She points to a map of the city on a nearby wall. There is a circle on the map, not far from where this gym is. “You see that circle there? The gym tests are held there. They will explain what you have to do when you get there.”

“…okay?” Confused, I walked off backout of the building and stared to make my way to the field. Down a few paths and a couple of alleys, I found myself on the field that I was sure was designated…but it was odd. There was some sort of field that had a bunch of fenced in paths contained within. Almost in the shape of a maze. Risen platforms dotted in a couple of places and a giant basket within this fenced in maze of some kind. Finally, and more oddly, a giant…rubber…olive. It had to be at least twelve feet tall. And wider than a Snorlax. It was basically a football meant for giants, one would think.

“Are you here for the gym test?” Someone would come to approach me. A man, dressed up in what would otherwise be referee wear, approached me.

“I…would.” I said, a bit offput at what I was looking at on the field.

“Ah, perfect. I got the call ahead about you.” The ref stated. “Welcome to your gym test. The Olive Roll!”

“…uh…huh.” I said.

“Olive production is part of life here in Cortondo, perhaps the main centerpiece.”

“I gathered. I walked through miles of fields with olives.”

“Not surprising. Well, the Olive Harvest Festival, one that we here each year for generations, are put on, ushering in many bumper crops. One of such things we have during the festival is the Olive Roll. Here, you roll the olive ball all the way to the goal, that basket there in the center of the field.”

“…?” I looked back towards the town for a moment then back towards the referee. “…forgive me for being ignorant, but it doesn’t look like there’s any sort of festival going on.” I said.

“Don’t need a festival to have a bit of fun. Not to mention, it’s said making it to the goal in short order will help ensure we all get a great olive harvest next year!” I couldn’t help but to stare in confusion even more. Not so much as the ‘challenge’ in and of itself. Seemed pretty simple enough and if it got me to the gym leader all the quicker then fair enough. Though I am left to ask what in the hell did it have to do with Pokémon battling? “So, you ready to get going?”

“Yeeaahh…I guess.” I said, giving a shrug. I guess whatever floats Paldea’s proverbial boat…but this…is not what I expected. At all.

Everything would get set up and I would find myself on a platform, next to the giant rubber olive. “Make it to the basket in two minutes and make sure that it doesn’t leave the outer confines of the play area or it’s a test fail!” the ref would shout to me. I then took a careful look at the fences. Yea, the olive was tall enough and if it rolled hard enough, it could perhaps be lost over the fence. Though this couldn’t be too hard. “Ready? GO!”

I decided to immediately see if I couldn’t cheese this whole entire thing. I wasn’t told I couldn’t lift the olive and carry it. But as I tried to, I started to realize immediately it wasn’t feasible. The olive was too wide. I think someone thought ahead on this. Alright, rolling it is. I easily pushed the giant olive down the platform and down it went and just as I had imagined, I had to keep an eye on it. The shape made it go in all manner of directions bound to tempt physics to pull it over the fences. I constantly rolled the olive, quickly approaching where I needed to turn off. I had to run around the olive well ahead of time, pushing it to give a new direction, then I started to push it off once again, down another path, up over a large ramp meant to screw up to-be competitors. “God…I can’t believe…I am having to do this…just to fight a gym leader…” I grumbled to myself.

Down more paths, trying to mind my strength and the olive lest I lose progress. I noticed that the basket was within sight and there was a ramp to move the olive into the basket. Instead of wasting time, I figured just to brute force it in. I pushed the giant olive up against the basket and rolled it up the outer basket wall. The olive wasn’t heavy at all, though it was pretty unwieldy just due to its sheer size. But I managed to get it up over the lip of the basket and back down into it with not too much effort. The ref would blare his whistle and call it time.

“One minute, twenty-four seconds! You passed!”

“Well…duh…” I said, silently to myself. It was still so hard to mind my tongue with all the oddities in this region, not going to lie. I would make my way out of the playfield and back to the ref.

“Congrats, you passed the test. I will let them know that you are now set to face the gym leader.”

“Thank you.” I said, making my way off back to the gym. Back through the paths, down the alleys, and once again, back at the gym, I was ready to finally get my first badge ever. Making my way back to the gym, I made my way to the counter to meet the attendant once again.

“Ah, you’re back. Great! You will be facing our gym leader, Katy. Go ahead and proceed to the battle area when you are ready.”

“Great, finally. Which way.”

“Back outside.”

“…wait, what?” I asked, staring in confusion. “It isn’t back there or anything?” I asked, pointing to the doors behind the counters.

“Oh, heh heh, no. The battles take place out at the pavilion just across the street.” The attendant stated.

“…uh...okaaaay?”

I would make my way off back out the doors and off to go find the pavilion as directed. God, Paldea is weird.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:02 pm
I made my way across the street, and made my way up a set of stairs when I arrived at the pavilion. A couple of flights of stairs later, I started to realize what was going on. The pavilion was the battlefield. I could tell as I stood here that many battles were done. The sturdy wood and metal took the brunt of many a Pokémon attacks as competitors clashed with each other. Circling the battlefield, various flowers that attracted many a bug Pokémon, from the busiest of Combee to the most jovial of Vivillion that many people, those who live here and those who are traveling by to look out into the distance to watch the sunrise and sunsets out in the distance in what I have to admit was a serene scene. I started to take note to the people that were already here…no one that seemed to be at attention or anything of that sort. Anyone that would come off as a gym leader expecting a challenger. I suppose that they needed to get here. I walked towards one of the rails to look out towards the mountainous area off towards the north. If there was anything about standing here looking out, it was all off put by still sensing what I am feeling from the crater.

“Are you the challenger?” A feminine voice spoke up from behind me. I turned around and noticed a younger looking female accompanied by someone in a referee uniform, though this woman was donning a tan and brown baker’s outfit. She would give a comforting smile towards me, waiting on an answer.

“Uh…yes, I am.” I said.

“Good afternoon, I’m Katy. I’m the Gym Leader of the Cortondo Gym.” She said, giving a slight nod. “I was told that I had a hybrid challenger and boy, I didn’t really expect this. I hope you weren’t waiting long. I had to come all the way from the Soapberry.” She said.

“I haven’t. Um…the…soapberry?” I asked.

“The Patisserie Soapberry. A bakery down the main street of town.”

“…I think I swung by there earlier to pick up some bread for sandwiches earlier today.” I said.

“I hope it was to your enjoyment.”

“Yea, it was pretty good. Pokémon enjoyed it as well.”

“Splendid.” She said.

“I take it that the bakery is a side thing you do?” I asked.

“Oh, no. That’s actually my main focus. I understand you are from Jhoto, correct? A lot of us don’t actually make the gyms a focal point in our lives.”

“Really? Do you not get a lot of challengers? Especially from the academy who takes on these challenges?”

“Not as many as you might think.” Katy stated. “Some days are busier than others, sure, but all the same its my passions first and foremost. Though, mind, that isn’t to insinuate that you are going to get an easy challenge.” She would give a nod to the referee, a signal for him to take his position and get ready. “I, as a Bug type trainer, find that the Bug type is like the sweets I bake. Many are small, but the effect they can have to people are extremely powerful. Mine are no exception.” Almost as if on cue, holding out her hand, a Vivillion fluttered its way over towards her. Then reached over and handed a treat to the Vivillion. With a squeal, it quickly took the treat and contently consumed it, giving a squeal in thanks. With a little laugh, she spoke to it. “You’re quite welcome.” She said. The Vivillion would flutter off.

“I wouldn’t dream of underestimating anything here at this point. I know a gym leader that would perhaps love to meet you.” I said to her.

“Shall we begin?” she then asked.

“By all means.”

The two of us would take our positions on the battlefield. A bug type trainer, just as I was told about. Part of me wanted to go ahead and let Torchic have its way, but I might want to sandbag Torchic for a bit just in case. I have no idea what she has, or for that matter, what Paldea might have in store. She was sure to have something more Paldean native as opposed to the Combee and Vivillon that I am noticing around here. She was pretty confident in her abilities, and as a gym leader, she would assume someone had something like Flying Types or Fire Types in tow.

“This battle will between Blizzard of Jhoto versus Katy of the Cortondo Gym here in Paldea.” The referee announced. His bellow would draw the attention of every one looking out into the distance, all the ready to watch a battle unfold. Well, that was different. Not usually an audience during gym battles, just the championship matches, that I could think of. Whatever. It didn’t matter. “Each combatant will be allowed three Pokémon each. The challenger may switch Pokémon whenever he sees fit. Katy, the gym Leader shall not. Battles will continue until one side concedes or are out of allotted Pokémon. Is this clear?” I would give a nod, agreeing to the terms.

“Go, Nymble! Lead the way for me!” Katy called out, tossing the ball out onto the battlefield. In a flash of light from the Pokeball, my expectations came realized immediately. It was a black and gray bug of some kind. Large orange, x-shaped eyes. Quadrupedal. Though, those legs were pretty thin. I didn’t see anything like that going through the olive fields, I had to admit, so I was pretty much taking this fight blind. It didn’t matter, proceed as planned.

“Go! Mudkip!” I shouted, tossing out a Pokeball.

As it landed on the battlefield, the ball flashed open and out came the water type, ready for battle. “Muuud!” it squealed out upon arrival.

“Nymble versus Mudkip! BEGIN!” The ref would command.

“Mudkip! Water Pulse!” I shouted. The Mudkip would quickly breathe in and then unleashed a powerful pulse towards the unknown bug. The attack splashed down upon the bug, making it reel back a fair bit.

“Nymble! Use Assurance!” Katy shouted. The bug, small it was, was quick to get back on its feet then started to dart about the battle field, catching Mudkip off guard. It wasn’t sprinting or anything, it was darting from one spot to another with sheer leaps that made it rocket off like a missile.

“What in the hell?” I asked. “Mudkip! Incoming!” The Mudkip would try to get on guard for the attack, but the bug constantly darted about only to smash its Assurance attack into Mudkip, causing a great deal of damage to the water type. Part of me started to feel a little justified sandbagging Torchic right now. Especially if I got to deal with stuff like this the rest of the fight. “Mudkip, are you alright!?” Mudkip pulled itself up and spoke up with an affirming “Mud!” back towards me. He was fine. For now. “Alright! Rock Throw!” I shouted.

As the Nymble went around for another attack, Mudkip leapt out of the way. Mudkip then started to form a large rock, about as big as he was, let alone the Nymble, and then fired it off towards the bug. The Nymble stopped on a dime, then leaped out of the way of the large rock that threatened to wreck this bug. “Nymble! Use Struggle Bug, dear!” Katy commanded. The Nymble went around as Mudkip constantly tried to throw rocks at the Nymble, latching on to the back of Mudkip and started to thrash about.

“MUDKIP!” Mudkip yelped as it tried to get the Nymble off his case.

“Mudkip! Calm down! We need to buck it off. Start running! Get some speed!” I shouted. Mudkip tried to shake off the Nymble but then did as commanded, starting to run as best as it could with its unwanted rider. “Now, buck it off! Take Down! Go for the ground!” I shouted. I knew I was effectively getting Mudkip to hurt itself, but I was banking on the forces at be to buck the bug off. Mudkip would leap up and took a dive, slamming himself onto the ground, bucking the bug right off.

As Mudkip started to try to shake the stars from its head in its attempt to shake Nymble off, the Nymble was already back on its feet. “Nymble! Use Double Kick!”

“Mudkip! Incoming!” I tried to call out to Mudkip. This was ridiculous. Katy was pretty relentless with this bug. And worse, it was only the first one. One would have thought knowing some of what a Bug could do, especially having raised a Scizor and dealt with Bugsy back at home quite a bit, I’d basically seen everything. But apparently not, I must confess. We needed to get this battle back under our control. The Mudkip would manage to shake the pain, and managed to look back at the incoming Nymble who leapt up and started on its downward kick dive. Mudkip leaped back, the Nymble slamming into the floor, but was in hot pursuit of Mudkip, quickly flipping about and once again went to kick away once more. The relentless assault managed to eventually find its mark, once again dealing a good deal of damage to Mudkip.

Mudkip managed to stand its ground, but this was starting to not be tenable at all. I had no idea that this Nymble had this manner of speed. Then again, I haven’t even heard of it until about a couple of minutes ago. Alright new plan… “Mudkip! Use Supersonic!” I shouted.

The Mudkip unleashed an extremely high-pitched shrill towards the Nymble, all in an attempt to shift the tempo to our side. The Nymble winced hard as the Supersonic made it cringe quite a bit, effectively breaking something as it tried to resist it. It was unsteady on its feet, confusion taking hold. “Oh dear…Nymble, use another Double Kick!” The Nymble shook its head, wanting to comply. But then in a blind reckless shot, darted off towards Mudkip, but he was well enough off his mark, leaving Mudkip to avert the attack. The Nymble quickly pivoted, and darted for Mudkip once again with its harsh kicks, but once again, the confusion threw it well off track. As it tried to pivot again, it was not able to, taking a harsh tumble and hurting itself in the midst of confusion.

“Alright, there! While its down! Rock Throw!” I then shouted.

“MUDKIP!” Mudkip shouted, once again conjuring another rock and giving it a hard shot towards the bug. As the bug managed to get back up, the rock smashed into its target, causing a great deal of damage towards the gym leader’s bug.

“Just like that!” I shouted.

“Nymble! Are you okay, dear!?” The Nymble managed to pushed itself back up off the ground, having taken a great deal of damage from the rock attack alone. Unfortunately for the gym leader, the bug was still unsteady, still affected by the Supersonic ringing in its head. “Nymble! Try using a Bug Bite for me!”

“Mudkip! While its still dazed! Water Pulse!” I shouted.

Mudkip would fire off its watery pulse off towards the bug, but it was at that moment, Nymble came back to its senses, darting off to the side of Mudkip’s attack and started to rocket itself directly for the water type. “Crap! Mudkip! Here it comes!” The Nymble pounces the Mudkip and started to furiously bite down on Mudkip, racking up the damage furiously. As the two thrashed about on the battlefield’s floor, Mudkip, with his back on the floor started to try to kick away and push the biting Nymble back. “Mudkip! Water Gun!” I shouted.

“KIIIP!” Mudkip would yell out, unleashing a hard torrent of water from its mouth. I figured this would work better than the Water Pulse attack, which had a bit of a wind-up. I didn’t want to give the Nymble any time to get away. The Nymble would get blasted off, getting caught up in Mudkip’s point-blank shot, getting carried off away from Mudkip and letting gravity do the rest of the work of the attack. The Nymble would slam on the floor, with a little bit of a bounce upon impact.

Mudkip got back on all fours, wincing a bit. It was hurting a great deal at this point, not able to take much more abuse from this bug. It would come, however, as a cold comfort, after trying to scrap with Mudkip as much as it tried to, the damage was starting to catch up to the Nymble as well. We needed one good hit to bring this Nymble down. I suppose it would depend on how springy Nymble wanted to be still despite being hurt as it was. “Nymble! Double Kick!”

“Christ, that move is honestly annoying…” I growled out to myself. Once again, the Nymble would go true to namesake, darted about the battlefield. While I was managing to keep up with it from where I was standing, Mudkip had a hard time keeping up, however. Perhaps I should invest time later in teaching Mudkip an Icy Wind attack. Do with the hand you’re dealt in the meantime, however. “Mudkip! Just hang tight!” I needed to find the right opportunity to drop this thing. The Nymble would pivot once again and went on a dive. “Mudkip! Jump back! Now!” I shouted. As the Nymble dove to drive its feet down into the Mudkip, Mudkip leaped back, the Nymble slamming into the ground, but then sprung forward, straight for Mudkip. “Water Gun!” As the Nymble rushed for Mudkip, Mudkip fired its Water Gun attack, blasting the Nymble once more away from Mudkip. The Nymble hit the ground hard from the attack, leaving it tumbling hard in Mudkip’s watery wake, finally coming to a stop a good ways across the battlefield.

The Nymble once again was pushing itself up, but it was struggling now. Weak in the legs as it tried to push, but its legs gave out, once again the Nymble falling over on the ground. The last relentless attack costed the Nymble, finally putting it out of commission. “Nymble is unable to battle! This round goes to Mudkip!” I sighed hard, relieved. One down, two to go. The crowd spectating the battle would start to cheer over the climatic battle that transpired before them.

“Nice Work, Mudkip! You’re doing great!” I would call out over the cheers of the crowd.

“Mud! Kip!” Mudkip responded, happy it managed to claim victory.

“Get ready for the next one! This battle isn’t over yet!”

Katy would recall the fallen Nymble, bringing it back to its Pokéball. “You fought very well, Nymble. Thank you.” She said, stashing the Pokéball and pulling out another one. “I suppose I should have expected no less. But don’t believe for a second that it will get any easier for you.”

“Wouldn’t suggest it in the least.” I said.

“Your turn, Taroutula!” she would call out, tossing the next ball out upon the battlefield. As the ball lands, a flash of light comes forth and out comes a small yellow Pokémon, an arachnid as far as what I could tell. Though it seemed to be bundled in its own webs…like, a massive amount of webbing where a thorax would usually be on a bug like that. I wasn’t sure if this was supposed to be a natural armor or cushion or what. All the same, it was another Paldean native Pokémon that I had no knowledge of. “Alright, Mudkip, be careful. That last one made you work for it and I got no doubt this will do the same.”

“The battle will be Mudkip versus Taroutula! Begin!” the ref would proclaim.

“Mudkip! Rock Throw!” Quickly, the Mudkip would conjure another rock and would fire it off towards the opposing bug. The rock would smash into the bug head on, a lot easier than trying to hit the Nymble earlier. But much to both of our astonishment, the rock didn’t seem to do as much damage as we would have imagined. It happened quick, but I started to realize this thing’s whole story. I was right…that silk that covered more than half its body and caked on thick, it really was armor in a sense. Cushioned the blow full stop.

“Taroutula! Use String Shot! Let’s make sure it doesn’t go anywhere!” she would command.

“Another Rock Throw! Hurry!” As Mudkip tried to conjure up another rock, the Taroutula unleashed a flurry of webbing upon Mudkip, covering up Mudkip in quick fashion. Mudkip stopped its attack and it tried to struggle in the webbing. “Crap…Mudkip! Try washing it off! Water Gun!” I shouted. Mudkip would unleash a hard gush of water around him, trying to get the webbing to dissolve, but all it was accomplishing was making Katy have a smile on her face.

“Taroutula! Bug Bite!” The Taroutula skittered over to the Mudkip as he struggled in the dense webbings and pounced the water Pokémon.

“Crap! Mudkip!” I shouted. As the Taroutula relentlessly bite down on the Mudkip, it was almost academic at this point. The damage already accumulated from the fierce fight with the Nymble and unable to free itself from the String Shot, Mudkip would succumb to Katy’s Pokémon.

“Mudkip is no longer able to battle! This match goes to Taroutula!” The ref proclaimed.

I took out Mudkip’s Pokeball and recalled the fallen water type. “Sorry buddy. Probably should have switched you out after all if I had know that was going to happen. We’ll get it for you.” I said. I took out another Pokéball. “Alright, let’s try this…” I said. Forget subtlety anymore. Time to just unleash hell. “Torchic! Go!” I called out, tossing the ball out onto the field. As the ball landed, it erupted in a flash of light and out came the Torchic.

“Tooor!” It shrilled out, ready for battle.

“This battle will be between Taroutula and Torchic! Begin!” The ref would call out.

“String Shot, Taroutula!”

“Torchic! Ember!” I shouted. As the Taroutula unleashed its flurry of binding silk, Torchic fired off its flurry of embers into it. Unlike Mudkip’s water, Torchic’s fire was much more effective, burning away the silk before it could come down upon him. “I am not having any of my Pokémon go through that again if I can help it.” I said.

“I’ve gathered.” Katy stated. “I suppose we’re going to have to try different things now. Taroutula! Spikes!” she would command.

The Taroutula started to fling a bunch of Spikes off towards the Torchic, which the tiny fire chick managed to step aside. More and more spikes started to fly off from the bug, littering the field. I wasn’t sure what Katy was trying to do, however, other than maybe keep Torchic from moving around so much. Especially if String Shot was going to be ineffective. “Torchic! Fire Pledge!” I shouted.

“Toooor!” Torchic shrilled out, unleashing a large plume of fire towards the spider.

“Taroutula! Look out!” she called out. The spider would leap out of the way of the plume. “String Shot!” As soon as Torchic cut its attack off, needing a slight breath from the intense fire attack, the Taroutula fired its strings off towards Torchic and hits its mark. The spider then quickly pulled off and started to drag Torchic through the spikes which it laid out on the ground. Each of the spikes sticking into Torchic as the chick was dragged.

“Oh no, Torchic!”

“Torrrrr!” The Torchic squealed out.

“Torchic! Ember!” I then called out. Torchic managed to get back on its feet and fired the embers towards the spider, burning the String Shot once more and catching a few embers on the spider. The Taroutula reeled back, quickly ditching its silk to get some distance from the fire.

“Taroutula, use Assurance!” Katy commanded.

“Torchic! Watch it! Here it comes!” I called out. The Taroutula started to skitter through the spikes, leaping up and went to drive itself down upon Torchic. The Torchic tried to weave about, trying to avoid the attack. “Screw it…Torchic, Slash!” I called out. Torchic would move about, then flipped over the Taroutula’s attack, driving its feet down and slashing hard upon the Taroutula. The spider would reel back, but I would soon realize that it wasn’t that clean of a hit. The silk that covers more than half its body protected it well enough. I think I was going to need more fire than I care to commit to this fight.

“Taroutula, use Headbutt!” Katy then commanded. Quick to retaliate, the bug rushed over and rammed head first into Torchic, causing a good deal of damage to the fire type. I had to admit, I wasn’t really expecting this kind of fight out of Katy and her bug types. I haven’t even known Bugsy back at home to pull this sort of stuff. Then again, to my recollection, he tends to be more brutish with his bugs. Scythers, Pinsirs, Beedrills and if not that then bring out impenetrable fortresses that were Forretress for example. Katy had finesse compared to what he did. Perhaps to each their own methods. They both know and have alluded to bug Pokémon’s potential and they were bound to show it.

As Torchic tumbled back, getting caught into a clump of spikes in the process, I called out to the tiny chick. “Torchic, you alright!?”

Torchic managed to get back up and shook about to toss the couple of spikes still stuck on it off of him. Torchic was hurting however. I could see it. “Torchic.” He spoke back with his reassurance. I don’t know how much more Torchic could take. I needed to find a decisive strike.

“Alright…Torchic, Ember!” I called out. Perhaps at this point, the best point of action to do is to try to keep Torchic’s distance from that spider.

“Toooorr!” It shrilled out, unleashing another flurry of embers towards the spider. As the embers rained down upon the spider, the Taroutula started to rush off, trying to avoid the flames as best as it could.

“Taroutula, Sticky Web!” Katy commanded.

The Taroutula hissed out, then started to let loose a wide web on the field. More hazards, more movement restriction. Like hell. “Fire Pledge!” I then shouted.

“TOORRR!” The Torchic dug deep, and unleashed the large plume of fire once more, burning the webs as it started to come down upon the field.

“Taroutula! Headbutt!” As Torchic stopped the attack, having to take a pause from the strong attack, the spider went back on the attack, closing the distance as fast as it could, making the run at Torchic. It lunged out, head first once more to ram into Torchic.

“Torchic, use Aerial Ace!” I called out. Torchic dodged off towards the side, averting the attack. As the Taroutula pivoted, making another run with its Headbutt attack, Torchic quickly leapt up and came down on the spider with its nimble movements, kicking the Taroutula away. The Taroutula tumbled back, but sprang back up. That was a bit more effective than the Slash attack earlier, but it still wasn’t causing the kind of damage I needed it to. That silk padding on it was giving it too much of a defensive barrier. I needed Torchic’s fire, full stop. But so far, they have done well to avert their fire attacks, or giving me a more priority use for it, like the spider’s entangling webs.

“Taroutula, another Headbutt! We got them on the ropes!” Katy shouted.

The Taroutula rushed in and lunged in, and as Torchic tried to avert the attack, the spider manages to finally hit its mark, ramming into the tiny chick and sending it back. Torchic picked itself back up, wincing hard, it wasn’t going to take much more. “String shot!” Katy then commanded. The Taroutula moved about the field, trying to get into the perfect position, then unleashed its webs and hitting its mark, dragging Torchic through the spikes once more, Torchic near helpless from the attack. “Headbutt!”

“Sand Attack!” I shouted.

As the Taroutula pulled tight on its web, it flung itself towards Torchic once more, poised to put the chick out of the fight. Torchic manages to get back on its feet and kick up all manner of dust and debris from the battle right into the bug. It hissed out as it was blinded, stopping its attack. Torchic would then fire a couple of embers to get the thread of silk off of it and move back. “Who’s on the ropes now!?” I asked.

“Taroutula! Use Sticky Web!” I doubted she cared where the webs would land at this point, she was trying to give Torchic a deterrent from coming after it while the Taroutula tried to get its vision back. The spider once again unleashed a net of webs up and around the field in a great deal of haste, but at this point, I was going to have Torchic power on through.

“Fire Pledge!” I then shouted.

Torchic unleashed another large plume of fire, this time for its intended target. The spider finally would get caught up in the flames and just as I suspected, the fire burned fiercely, catching up its silk. It started to panic as the fire. The webs that it released started to slowly burn as the fire followed the web ‘trails’ about that was left by the spider. “Oh no! Taroutula!” Katy shouted. As the Taroutula flailed and rolled about, it managed to put out the fire that was set on its web-like armor.

“Ember!” I would command.

“Taroutula! Here comes some more fire! Look out! Protect!” she said. The spider quickly spun a massive web, a barrier started to form about it and the embers started to pelt the barrier, leaving the spider unharmed. “Now! Use String Shot!” The spider managed to shake its head, scrape some of the dust out, managing to regain some of its vision, then fired its webs once more.

“Torchic! Move!” I shouted. The Torchic moved off to the side, rushing through the remaining burning webs. I couldn’t afford Torchic to get caught up in more of its webs anymore. At the same time, I started to feel that we needed to lock this bug down and finish this battle. “Ember!” I then commanded. Once again, the flurry of embers were let loose and rained down upon the bug. The Taroutula would managed to run off and retaliate on its own, another String Shot to follow. The two Pokémon would constantly avert each other attacks, one ranged battle after another. Kati and I realized this was going nowhere.

“Taroutula, Struggle Bug!” Katy was moving in, perhaps to neuter Torchic’s fire power a bit. Fire that I needed every bit of not only to finish this bug off but have for her next Pokémon, whatever it may be. As the bug rushed over, averting the embers that Torchic was letting loose, it leaped up and went to pounce on Torchic.

“Torchic! Aerial Ace!” I shouted. As the spider came down, Torchic stopped its embers and jumped up, meeting the spider head on, effectively challenging the attack. Torchic lands his mark, kicking the spider well out of the way, averting the struggle bug attack and sending it back down towards the ground. Torchic would land on the ground, looking at the spider once more, trying to pull itself back up once more to keep battling. Katy knew instantly what was about to happen.

“Taroutula! Look out!”

“Fire Pledge!” I shouted. The Torchic unleashed yet another fierce plume of flame which rushed across the battlefield and wrapped the bug up in its fiery embrace. The damage was severe and the bug couldn’t handle the attrition any longer. As the flames cleared, all would see the bug was down for the count.

“Taroutula is unable to battle! This round goes to Torchic!” the ref would announce.

The crowd, completely enthralled by the battle of young Pokémon started to give their claps and cheers. Katy would recall her fallen Taroutula. “You done well, Taroutula. Thank you.” She said as the bug found its way back into its Pokeball.

“Way to go, Torchic! Keep it up!”

“Torrrr!”

Alright, two down, one to go. One wouldn’t know it, but I have to admit, I was feeling quite pressured right now. I tried to get these Pokémon ready for fights like these and they were performing admirably. Even then, even when I supposed to have more clear advantages, these gym leaders were doing what they were meant to do. Turn the screws tight, as it were. I never imagined myself being on the receiving end like this. I fought gym leaders before, but not as a challenger to the gym. This had a whole different feel that I couldn’t really get over. Like it meant something more. Was this what trainers went through? How they felt when they battled me or my teacher at the Mahogany Gym? Or any other gym leader for that matter.

“You’re quite the trainer.”

“I doubt that you deal with those that actually has a background often, I’d imagine.”

“Not often. Cortondo and Artazon are usually the first ones just because of being so close to Mezagoza where most trainers start.” Katy stated. “But its usually quite the treat when one deals with an experienced trainer. It helps keeps us on our toes. Keeps us sharp.”

“Glad to be of a service.” I said.

“Let’s finish this battle, shall we?” she then said, taking out her final Pokeball. She gives it a toss and as the ball lands upon the field and when it pops open and the flash from it went away, I couldn’t help but to stare a bit confused.

“Teddi-Ursa!” the Pokémon spoke up from the field. A Teddyursa? I was under the understanding this was a bug type gym. I mean, I guess when you take into effect Teddiursa likes Combee honey, I guess it might have some relation, but why not just get a bloody Combee? They were all over the place in the olive fields.

“There a problem?” Katy asked, noting my apparent reaction.

“No. Not a problem.” I said, though, it was probably a little unconvincing. I would just let it go though.

“Torchic Versus Teddiursa! Begin!” The ref called out.

“Torchic! Ember!” I commanded. The Torchic fired off its flurry of embers towards the Teddiursa. The Teddiursa would roll out of the way and start making its way towards Torchic.

“Slash attack, Teddiursa!” Katy would command. The Teddiursa would start averting the shots, Torchic relentlessly trying to deter the Teddiursa from coming any closer, but the bear would find itself within range and slash fiercely upon the Torchic, causing a great deal of damage to the Torchic. The swipe was fierce and true, and with Torchic being relatively exhausted from the attrition of a battle that was against the Taroutula, it wasn’t going to be able to stand up against too much. Torchic screamed out as it got flung back and hit the battlefield floor.

“Torchic!” I shouted. Torchic tried to pick itself back up once more, but then it just passed out. It was done for this battle.

“Torchic is unable to battle! The Round goes to Teddiursa!” The ref would call out. I would take out Torchic’s Pokeball, recalling him back to its ball. Sorry about that Torchic. You did good. Well, I suppose the good news, there didn’t seem to be any more bug types, so Torchic did his job. But then a realization occurred to me. I was for certain that the gym leaders would have been calling upon that Terastilize stuff that I saw that trainer do. I still couldn’t bring myself to believe that wouldn’t happen with a gym leader. What if by chance there was a reason as to why she didn’t do it right away…that…she needed Torchic to go down before she chanced it.

If what I suspect was about to happen, I started to think real quick. With Mudkip and Torchic down, who did I have that could possibly work? I doubted Zigzagoon would be good for this at all. Bug attacks were not kosher to him, being the Galarian dark type that he was. But then, what of Vulpix and Cubchoo? One of those two was probably the safer choice, but what would work against this Teddiursa? Comparitively, Cubchoo did have the staying power that Vulpix didn’t, that I could imagine. I suppose I just talked myself into it…

“Go! Cubchoo!” I then called out, tossing the ball out for battle.

The ball hit the field and out came the Cubchoo in a flash of light. “Cub-chaa!” It spoke up…before a sneeze and large icy snot started to dangle from its nose.

“There was a lot of hesitation there.” Katy stated.

“Just trying to assess options.”

“I’m sure you were.” Katy stated. Though the way she said it, she didn’t fully believe it. There was a slight deviousness that came with it. It left me with a bit of unease. This last round was not going to go any more swimmingly than the last two Pokémon, I feared.

“This battle is between Cubchoo and Teddiursa! Final Round! Begin!” The ref called out.

“You were expecting something, weren’t you?” Katy stated. “Something that left you quite on guard. You were confused, expecting a bug type gym, but I come to you with a Teddiursa out of the blue?” she said, with a gentle smile that undermined a serious intent. I couldn’t bring myself to answer that question. Katy would take out from a pocket from her large skirt, a crystal-like orb which shined its ominous light.

“Blast it, I freakin’ knew it.” I said.

“Teddiursa! Time to break free from your cocoon and come into your own!” The orb’s light would become intense, the power exuding from it almost knocked off her baker’s hat. She would toss the ball out towards the field, towards Teddiursa and as it unleashed its power, Teddiursa started to become encased in that weird crystal, and in an explosion of power, the Teddiursa roared out, covered in a light green crystal form, with a crown of crystal as well, shaped in the form reminiscent of insect antennae. She held off on this to drop Torchic, just in case, and if I had another fire type on hand, or even a flying type, she would have probably held off on it. But when I showed my hand on Cubchoo, she decided to hit the proverbial gas. She was poised to end this and hand me a loss.

As the crowd around cheered, excited seeing a terastal Pokémon come to before their eyes, Cubchoo stared wide-eyed, starting to lose his nerve immediately at what was transpiring before him. “Cubchoo, its fine. Its not as bad as it looks. She might have a tough Pokémon but you can pull through. I’ve already dealt with a couple of fights already like this. You still have this. Calm down and get ready. We’ll take it one step at a time.” I said, trying to reassure Cubchoo. The icy bear would look back at me then tried to poise itself.

“Teddiursa! Fury Cutter!” Katy would command.

“Cubchoo! Move!” I shouted.

The Teddiursa rushed for Cubchoo and as it got its claws ready, its entire body started to flash about as Teddiursa’s claws started to become empowered to strike Cubchoo down. Cubchoo stood back for a moment, until the last second when the Teddiursa swiped down with its Fury Cutter attack, Cubchoo avoided the attack, trying to duck and weave the furious swipes the Teddiursa wanted to bring down upon the icy bear. “Cubchoo! Use Icy Wind!” I shouted.

Cubchoo breathed out its Icy Wind attack, pelting Teddiursa with its biting gale, making it reel back a bit. It didn’t cause that much damage, but it managed to stop its relentless Fury Cutter for the second. Probably slow it down a bit as it tries to warm itself back up. At least my hope, anyways. “Slash attack, Teddiursa!” Katy would then call out. As the Icy wind continued to bear down on the once-Normal type, Teddiursa powers through the icy wind and slashes Cubchoo just as fiercely as it did Torchic. Cubchoo fell backwards, hitting the floor after getting caught by the harsh attack.

“Cubchoo! Slash attack it back!” I shouted. The Cubchoo would get back up off the ground and rushed for the Teddiursa, giving a harsh swipe of its own, knocking the opposing bear over in retaliation. The Teddiursa would then move back up and the two would come to blows, one fierce swipe after another, a all-out bear brawl. Neither one willing to give an inch. Though Cubchoo was starting to lose ground.

“Fury Cutter, Teddiursa!” Katy shouted. The Teddiursa would weave off aside from one of the Cubchoo’s swipes then shoved itself into him, staggering him for a second. But it was within that second, where Teddiursa started to draw in the power of the phenomenon that was empowering it and then slashes down fiercely on Cubchoo. Cubchoo squeals out as the strike lands its mark. “Again, Teddiursa!”

“Cubchoo, back out of there! We can’t let that Teddiursa get momentum like that!” I said, knowing Fury Cutter’s most dangerous feature. If Teddiursa kept landing his mark, then it would do nothing more than empower Teddiursa all the further, and with that being compounded by that terastal stuff, it would sooner drive this battle to a really quick end. This Teddiursa was absolutely dangerous, as odd as it sounds coming from me. Cubchoo would quickly back away, with Teddiursa in hot pursuit, not wanting to give Cubchoo the time of day. The attack was coming, and it was clearly more powerful than before. “Frost Breath!” I shouted.

“Chaaa!” Cubchoo breathed out the harsh icy attack, which managed to stagger the Teddiursa and halted its attack for the time being.

“Teddiursa! Use Bulldoze!” she shouted. The Teddiursa would quickly recompose itself and gave a stomp, rattling the battlefield and rocked Cubchoo, making it fall over onto the floor. Crap, should have known that he’d have something like that. Would be a unfortunate surprise for any rock and fire types that would inevitably challenge Katy. “Now! Fury Cutter!”

“Cubchoo! Get up!” I shouted. Cubchoo would hurry and scramble up as Teddiursa once again rushed in with its empowered Fury Cutter. However, Cubchoo was unsteady on its feet still after that Bulldoze and it was difficult to keep its distance from the Teddiursa swiping fiercely at Cubchoo. I had to admit, the pressure Katy was getting this Teddiursa to put on against Cubchoo was extreme. I needed to get Cubchoo to turn this around. “Cubchoo! Ice Punch!” I shouted. Cubchoo managed to weave away from the Fury Cutter and then hastily pushed in, throwing its claw right into Teddiursa with its frosted-up fist. It managed to stop the pressure by the Teddiursa, but it didn’t cause the kind of damage that I needed it to. “Cubchoo! You didn’t follow through fully with that!” I called out to him. “All the way through, just like we talked about. Like the battles before! This one is no different!” I called out to him.

“Teddiursa! Fury Cutter!” Katy once again commanded. The Teddiursa was able to spring back from the attack and swipe at Cubchoo once more with its empowered attack. Cubchoo was struck fiercely once more, getting taken back and hitting the floor once more. Cubchoo managed to push himself back up once more, but he was hurting pretty bad. “Keep up the pressure, Teddiursa!” Katy stated.

The Teddiursa’s claws started to glow fiercely with the empowered Fury Cutter and started to come at Cubchoo once more. “Cubchoo! Flail!” I called out to him. The Cubchoo rushed in, catching the Teddiursa off guard. The Cubchoo pounced on the Teddiursa and started to attack in a frenzy, complete desperation out of the bear as it pounded away with reckless abandon. The Teddiursa would turtle up a bit but then would kick the icy bear off of it.

“Teddiursa, are you okay, dear!?” Katy stated. The Teddiursa started to nurse its face a bit but then gave a growl out to its trainer. It was okay for now. “Use Payback!”

“Cubchoo! Incoming!” I called out. The Teddiursa would lash out, both arms, ready to drive Cubchoo down into the floor. Cubchoo would move out of the way of the attack as the Teddiursa slammed the floor with great force. “Cubchoo! Use Slash attack!”

“Slash attack, Teddiursa!” Katy shouted. Once again, the two bears started to lock paws, trying to make a good swipe at each other. The two wasn’t making any headway with each other, but with the damage that Cubchoo took, he was once again starting to lose ground to the relentless attacks of Teddiursa. “Teddiursa, grab it!” Katy shouted. “Take it down, sweetie!” As Cubchoo tries to Slash attack away still, the Teddiursa steps in and grabs Cubchoo and tackles it to the battlefield floor, getting on top of the icy bear. “Fury Swipes, Teddiursa!”

The bear would then proceed to scratch away at Cubchoo. Cubchoo started squealing out as the Teddiursa swatted away, unable to defend itself as well as it needed to. The damage quickly racking up and ready to bring the icy bear out of the fight. “Cubchoo! Get it off! Icy Wind!” I shouted. The icy bear would give a hard icy puff at the assailing Teddiursa, making it wince, giving Cubchoo the opportunity to buck off the Teddiursa.

“Teddiursa! Use Fury Cutter!” Katy shouted. She’s trying to finish this fight. If I was in her position, I would be doing about the same as well. Cubchoo is in dire straights and have taken a good few hits from this thing and wasn’t bound to be able to stand up for much more. A Fury Cutter, even at its base level probably would be more than enough.

“Cubchoo, stand your ground! Wait on it!” I said.

As the Teddiursa flashed, its claws once again became empowered. It signaled my window. “Cubchoo! Icy Wind!” I once again commanded. The hard bite of the icy wind made the Teddiursa wince, giving Cubchoo the window to move off the side and avert the attack. The Teddiursa quickly pivoted, once again coming in for another swipe, recklessly this time, trying to finish off Teddiursa. “That’s it! Ice Punch!” I then commanded.

The Teddiursa continued to slash away, one and two, alternating with its paws, but on that final swipe, Cubchoo, just as he was taught, watched for that moment. He would step in, his claw frosted fiercely and then a hard thrust. Cubchoo drove its claws right into the side of the Teddiursa’s head, practically embedding itself deep into the Teddiursa’s face. Katy could only gasp. That was too clean of a hit. She started to fear the worse. “CUB! CHAAAA!” The punch drilled deep, the crystal empowering the Teddiursa started to crack as the Teddiursa’s eyes started to roll to the back of its head. The crystal flew off, the crown fell, and Teddiursa found itself being driven into the floor, being quickly entombed in a block of ice from the fierce Ice Punch attack.

Cubchoo stood there breathing heavily as it looked at its frozen opponent as did I. My eyes quickly shifted between the Teddiursa and the ref, waiting on the call. The audience looked intently in shock as the battle took the turn it did. It was a dead silence. “Teddiursa is unable to battle! The winner of this round is Cubchoo. Blizzard of Mahogany Town in Jhoto wins the battle!”

“YES! JUST LIKE THAT! Cubchoo! You did it!” As the crowd cheered over the ending of the climatic battle, Cubchoo looked towards the Teddiursa then back at me, its eyes lit up, happy that it managed to pull the win like that. I would kneel down and the Cubchoo would run over towards me. Ready for a big hug. “Woah woah woah, mind the nose! There we go.” I said, picking the bear up, careful of its runny nose.

Katy would walk over to her fallen Teddiursa, just as the ice would release its grip on the knocked out bear. “Oh Teddiursa, you did well. Thank you.” She said, recalling the bear into the ball. She would walk over towards me as I was having the personal celebration with my icy bear. “You have battled quite admirably.”

“You gave us a run for our money…I honestly didn’t really expect that. I know someone that could stand to have a couple of lessons from you.” I said to her.

“Heh, as gym leader, we do have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the typical trainer, you know.”

“I’m very well aware. More than you even know.” I said.

“Here.” She would hold out her hand. “The Pokémon League badge recognizing your triumph of the Cortondo Gym. Congratulations.” She stated.

I would take the badge and showed it to Cubchoo. Cubchoo’s eyes lit up again, taking note of the shiny badge. “That’s the team’s, including yours, work, Cubchoo. Thank you.” I said.

“Cub-cha!”  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Espeon_Commander

Crew

Universal Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:23 pm
Reno Vantas
Reno would give a wave to both Terashi and Blizz as they set off in opposite directions. Giving it a moment until he heard Aden speak up first, Reno would let out a slow groan as Blizz's presence being here began to register. "I was really hoping he would be doing Starfall with Sub. Guess we'll see how that plays out without any voice of restraint...." Reno grumbled out, rubbing his forehead with his right hand for a moment before taking a breath and straightening up. "Okay, Aden. I get you wanna follow Blizz cause you're still worried but...what else do ya think you can do? You've already thrown him the best shot he has at avoiding that. Obsessively monitoring for the most miniscule change like he's one step away from changing won't help that."

Pausing as he finished, Reno would already be drawing a conclusion for something that might actually make Aden feel better for some of this. Namely informing the one person who wouldn't be hunting for some miniscule change, but would be the first to pick up on it. "....actually, why don't we tell Freth all about our trip? Might get some insight from her companion, plus she'd at least have an idea of what to look for." Reno said, staring off towards where Blizz had disappeared to for his adventures across those interesting mesas. "....I don't know if any of that came across as unduly harsh, I wasn't aiming for that. I mostly just wanted to make it so your decision for where to go would be more what you want and less whats the best way to go to minimize theoretical damage."

As he finished, one part of Aden's statement would finally register. ".....Wait, Crystal is coming along too? Man, I missed a lot while I was getting my bike."
"I mean, nothing really spoke to me otherwise, and we heard about you lot going badges," Crystal spoke up, sitting cross-legged on her lightboard. "It could be that I've ben traveling for far, far too long, but we don't like sitting in one place when there's an option for roaming." She had a mildly bored look on her face, her head propped in her hand as she looked at the pair. "Just felt like traveling with you two might make a more amusing option. Somehow. Not like the Path of Legends didn't hold some water, though, especially if we couldn't just sit down and pick her brain for a bit." The hybrid shook her head before asking, "So, what's the plan then? The map says the closest gyms would be in Cortando or Artazon, though Levincia and Alfornada don't seem to be bad shouts either. Any thoughts?"  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:30 pm
With the victory over the gym leader settled in and the badge retrieved, there was apparently cause for celebration for the populace that spectated. Many wanted to shake the hand of the one that defeated the gym leader, let alone defeat her without doing that terastal stuff as she did. I am left to wonder if that was really that big of a deal as far as defeating a Pokémon straight up without doing so. There probably was more to it that I didn’t know. After a quick photo made out by someone to capture the moment, and a quick send over to my SNAG, I would make my way off, back down the stairs, off of the pavilion and back down the main street to make my way back to the Pokémon Center-kiosk. Once again, they would be healed by the table after a few moments. Taking out my SNAG once more, I took a look at the clock. It was starting to approach dinner, odd as it seemed to be.

I would make my off for the diner that I saw earlier and treated everyone to a well deserved meal. From there, to the hotel as well. I would find my way inside and check myself in. I wasn’t intending on trying to travel the wilds of Paldea in the middle of the night. I would once again let my Pokémon out. Many of them would check out their surroundings, though I had to make sure they keep the noise down not to disturb the other attendants of the hotel. As we all settled in, I made my way over to a desk on the far side of the room as the TV played in the background. A couple of the Pokémon would be paying attention to that. Others playing with each other. Others finding a good spot on the floor and started to call it a night. I would start taking out my SNAG and started to look over a few things, namely a route to take. As I figured it, I would perhaps make my way back towards Mesagoza, pass through, then find my way to Artazon. If it took me roughly a little over half the day from Mesagoza to get here to Cortondo, then it would perhaps take all day, barring any other side tracks that I would end up coming across. Trainers, wild Pokémon, weird regional quirks, what have you.

After getting a trip relatively planned out, I would continue to sit at the desk and thought for a moment. I would make a call to Mahogany Town. I figured to try to see if teacher was still up. I had to do some quick calculations…only to realize that it was dead early in the morning. Roughly 2 or 3 am. Teacher probably wouldn’t appreciate that too much. Crap. I guess I would try it in the morning. Not sure what Tristen and Freth was doing either. Perhaps checking in to everyone now would not be the greatest. I put away the SNAG and then transitioned over to my bed to watch the television. Zigzagoon would hop up on the bed with me, followed by Vulpix. Torchic would then find his way up, then finally Cubchoo and Mudkip. I would start to flip the television and eventually find a movie to watch. Halfway through it, the Pokémon seemed to have settled in, falling asleep. Not that I could honestly blame them. It was a pretty eventful day, despite half of it was traveling.

When the movie was finally over, I would finally turn in for the night.  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:44 am
Reno Vantas

Espeon_Commander

"Way he told it, he didn't want anything to do with 'a mess they made'," Aden remarked, shrugging at the idea. To him, it seemed the whole thing was a bit curmudgeon-y, but if it led to Blizz finding his own way to still have a vacation, at least there was a silver lining of sorts. "I thought Tristen would've been the one to greet us instead, but he decided to focus on his studies, so..." His foot would start tapping as he trailed off, trying to put off responding to Reno's question and the chord it struck. If he'd been talking to anyone that wasn't some flavor of psychic, he'd ask if he was really that easy to read.

After a brief moment, concluding what he already knew and was told before, he sighed and conceded. "You're right. It's just hard not to think about what we saw, you know? Acting like he's any different now would probably repeat what happened there. Eventually. Been meaning to talk to Freth about it with us too, but since she left the HQ for most of the month, the chance never came up. Then again, telepathy... I've really gotta focus on more than just the kinetic side of this."

Shaking his head, he'd pick up on the confusion about Crystal. "Er? Crap, I think I just assumed she would in case any weird Ziton stuff tried to happen again. I could've sworn I asked..." There was a sense of relief when Crystal made herself known, and a sudden side eye at the comment on how there might be more entertainment value here than the Path of Legends. "...amusing. Right. How about Levincia, then? Everyone else seems to be going for Cortondo or Artazon first, and it would give more distance between me and Blizz. We can try and get in touch with Freth on the way, finally tell her and the Hunter about what we saw. I was kinda hoping we could've done it in person, but..."  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:22 pm
Reno would give a shrug and a grin as he told the pair, "Levincia sounds like a grand idea. We get to go a little further afield, we see what new Pokemon lay out in the wild blue yonder between here and there, and we get to check and make sure Aria is doing alright after ghosting us entirely for the school stuff." Turning to start the trek to their far-off destination, he would extend one leg for the first step forward before pivoting himself around to turn back towards Crystal. "....wait, why all the we's there. You talking about yourself and the Emolga in your pocket or something?"  

Reno Vantas
Vice Captain

Magnetic Hunter

6,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Espeon_Commander

Crew

Universal Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:46 pm
Crystal's ear would twitch when she heard mention of the Ziton before she was acknowledged, though she'd keep any other physical distaste of hearing about that abomination from showing. And then Reno questioned her use of words recently. "...Right. Light." She rubbed her face before continuing, "Yeah, about that. That verbal tic is something that developed after Galar and the Ziton. Don't know whether it was because of the Ziton's attack on ou-on my mind itself," catching herself this time and correcting the slip, "or because of the long bit of isolation I went through before forming my Cosmog body, or some sort of combination thereof. Especially considering that my memory had… Well, actually, I had virtually no memories of you guys except through some janky dreams and nightmares, and even after fully evolving, there are still some smaller holes. Anyways, it could be either one of those, or some combination.

“However, usually… Usually, I’m fairly good about catching myself. When you’re starting to become the team’s inter-reality taxi, though, and going through things that you’d never think you’d be a part of, things like making sure people think you’re somewhat sane go out the window. Especially when you get your arm twisted into doing one of the trips…” The celestial hybrid shook her head and stood up on her lightboard, stretching. “Anyways. Any other questions, or are we good to head out?”  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:14 pm
With a new day, I woke up in the hotel room bed, the alarm on my SNAG started going off and jarring me awake. As I reached over to stop the alarm, I started to realize that all the tiny Pokémon stayed in the bed with me, all curled up and propped up against me in some fashion. Something they couldn’t otherwise get away with back at the headquarters, at least. I was a reminded a little bit of the guilt that I had in regards to these little guys…not really spending the time that I needed to with all that was going on in the world. They were going to relish in this all they could. Though, as cute as this was, I was hoping a little this wasn’t going to be an ongoing thing. It wasn’t like we all could share a bed when these guys start evolving.

Try as I might to pull myself out of bed without waking them up just yet, the mere moving around under the covers and shifting around jarred them awake. I went off to get myself cleaned up for the morning. I ordered breakfast for myself and the rest of my Pokémon to be delivered, since I wasn’t ready to bring myself out into the world just yet. Once it arrived and everything was passed out for myself and my Pokémon, we all starting eating away at our meal. Though I would be a bit slower in doing so. Something I wanted to do last night…get in touch with others. Starting with my teacher. Back at the desk on the far side of the room, with the TV playing softly in the background on a news channel giving the weather for the day, I would make the call. Fortunately, I didn’t need to go through some of the gym staff. Teacher was in his office…

“Hey, Teacher. Checking in.”

“Blizzard. What is this I have been hearing about with Snagem and the Paldea region?” He’d ask.

“A long, asinine, contrived series of events that I had no part of and continues to make me convinced vacations are overrated.” I said. “I’m not thrilled it happened. And now I am trying to make the most of everything.”

“Is that so?”

“Yea, I’m caught up trying to just appease everyone, you know deal with trying to maintain Snagem’s air of legitimacy and blah blah blah. Though not going to lie, I’ve been…going through a bit as of late. Same with Freth and Tristen…its stressful. I’ve been contemplating coming back home, finally get back to committing myself to the gym like I’ve been wanting, but I admit I’ve been rather wishy-washy on the matter.”

“You’re still stressing over rather if you will be able to run the gym in peace. And I suppose that you haven’t found any reason why it would be good to do so.” Pryce would deduce.

“Especially not after that harpy got you…let alone her assassination attempt on me AND what she did to Freth.” I said.

“What has happened since then?” Pryce asked.

“Otherworldly invaders, interdimensional travel, shadow Pokémon, and a mistaken identity, the latter being the reason why I’m stuck in Paldea for the time being.” I said. There was a pensive silence there on the line. “Too much?”

“…quite.” Price stated.
“Sorry. Doesn’t make it any less true though. In the meantime, Freth is trying to investigate the region in her own way, hopefully finding out what make this region tick being a body guard while tracking down titanic sized Pokémon and a bunch of rare plants, Tristen is taking part of academic studies, and I find myself taking part in a gym tour here.”

“Have you now?”

I took out a badge. “Already got one on my first one. Taking the opportunity to get training on Pokémon that I really needed to get to in the meantime.” I said to him. “Its about all I can do to keep my sanity, truth be told.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Those asinine events? Mistaken identity by someone else, which got suits back overseas upset and forcefully enrolled us with the academy here. If we want to keep Snagem’s legitimacy, need to finish courses here. So yea, remedial school if you will for me because of someone else.” I told him. “The gym challenges that I’m taking on is part of the proverbial curriculum, rather, finishing it is basically the path to graduation from this place, or at least one of a few options rather. Tristen was a little hopeful this would turn out fine for him since he never had any opportunity like this, so this was a blessing in disguise for him, and Freth…eh, she doesn’t really care. I’m doing this mainly for Tristen to have the time to do whatever and so I can freakin’ just relax for God’s sake. Though easier said than done.” I told him. “Though if I am being honest, I’ve been wanting to come back home and just say screw all of this. I’ve been wanting to come back to the gym for a while. More than ready.”

“Blizzard, I am left to ask what is stopping you from just merely resigning from Snagem?”

“…I suppose me.” I said. “I’ve only came to that much of an assessment because Freth, as she does, had me questioning things about myself. Like if I would be able to work the gym and not go running off on any massive Snagem level threat. I honestly…don’t know. I’ve been trying to keep all you have taught me to heart but…”

“Mmm…trying to show responsibility. Blizzard, I’m believing the underlying cause to all of this is you’re trying to appease everything, only to accomplish nothing, let alone to yourself.” Pryce stated. “In the world we live in, I am doubting that things were ever that secure, even now. Especially with the stories you have told me that happen between our calls.” Pryce stated. “And I believe I asked you this before: just how much faith do you have in others?”

“I don’t know…I’m not even sure if its about faith in others, even.” I said.

“Perhaps you should continue this gym run, the time to think might do you some good. The sooner you can figure out what is giving you grief, the sooner you can make your decisions. Perhaps despite what you have seen, things are not as bad as you are perceiving it to be.” He stated.

“I’m honestly hoping you’re right…because, as is, I am not liking all the uncertainty. I never imagined me staying with this group this long. It didn’t used to feel this way before.” I said to her.

“It perhaps didn’t feel this way to you before because you couldn’t have imagined things getting that much worse after the Elemental. But then the Rangers forced you out of your home.” Pryce stated. “Then after that, you inevitably answered the proverbial call to action when someone tried to bury Mahogany Town in snow for the sake of an experiment, the events in Unova, then Kalos, then Unova again, then all the major regions, then your attack in Galar. Blizzard, I understand you’re scared of what may come and being unprepared for it. You’re also scared of being looked down upon for those who expects your help when there may be the one time you want to stop, and if you do, you fear if that one time would be costly in the end. Keep in mind, two things, however: those who would frown upon such as you not coming to the rescue needs to understand that you have straddled the line of sacrificing quite a lot for those who you don’t even know. They shouldn’t be expecting that of anyone, let alone to you. They too are involved in this world. This world’s problems. They too need to contribute as they can. Sure, most aren’t a hybrid, let alone one as powerful as you are. Some aren’t even Pokémon trainers. But they are still part of this world just as you are. They too need to step up if they care about those they care for as you do for your own. They can contribute in any way they are able to, just as you do. And by now, you cannot expect that being as strong as you are, or even being more powerful somehow here in the future, is going to be any manner of deterrent to anyone who is willing to cause harm in this world. I’d imagine if nothing else Ein showed you that. If someone is bound to ruin things for you or others, its going to happen. There is going to be no preparation for it. You cannot live in fear of it.”

I sat there at my desk, silent as I listened to my teacher’s words. It was a lot to take in. “So what do I do?” I asked.

“That, Blizzard, has always been your choice. You will need to figure that out.” Pryce stated.

Another pensive silence. “Thank you, Teacher.” I said.

“You’re welcome. I believe I have another challenger here at the gym. Take care, Blizzard.”

“Yes sir.” I said, finally ending the contact.

I sat there once more, thinking for a moment, letting teacher’s words sink in. I then looked back towards my Pokémon, all of them were standing there behind me, looking up at me with a bit of concern. “Kind of heavy, right?” I asked. “Don’t worry about it too much. It’s something that I got to contemplate. Let’s try to make the most of this trip in the meantime, alright?”

The group of them spoke up in affirmation, all ready to go to start day two.  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:15 pm
I packed up, checking to make sure I didn’t leave anything behind, then checked myself out of the hotel. Once I found myself out back on the streets of Cortondo, I looked around the area for a moment, taking a deep breath as I tried to keep in mind what was told to me this morning. I would make my way off down the paths, finding my way back onto the main street and headed back into the olive fields. I swear to God, if I have to deal with any more olives after this, it will be too soon.

I walked off down the main street and started my way off back out of town, still trying to process everything in the conversation. Just what on earth did I really want to do? Freth had alluded to a lot in a similar vein. Would I have been able to just sit at the gym if anything happened? No…I probably couldn’t. I wouldn’t even know how to. What did I want? I wanted peace for God’s sake. I wanted security. Not just for me but for everything and everyone here. Pipe dream? Maybe. God, I’m honestly starting to sound like one of those tragic, gradual-descent-into-darkness villains in stories. As if I want to give the Hunter any more of a reason to try to convince Freth to kill me. I wish I knew what to do though…

I eventually found my way out of the town and back towards the olive fields, making the long walk back towards Mezagoza. As I double checked the map on my SNAG…trying to see if there was any other way that I could go that didn’t involve me going through olive fields again. Unfortunately, the main foot paths tends to move through the olive fields. Otherwise, I’d have to start using my wings if I wanted to go elsewhere. I’m guessing that is why some trainers carry around those motorcycle-dragon-things…they’re probably able to scale those spots. You know what? Screw it…I’m heading to area four of the Southern province.

I would take a detour off towards the south east, following the path towards the flats nearby the river. If nothing else I was going to see about heading through that way and find my way towards this Cabo Poco spot. Then loop my way around to Los Platos and onward towards Artazon. Though it did seem like one hell of a detour. I probably wouldn’t make it to Artazon today, now that I thought about it. Whatever, it gave Freth and Tristen more time, and by extension, me more time to think. And who knows what I would find around those areas.

As I continued down the path, continuing to look at my SNAG, I took notice to something on the map. I zoomed in and started to notice something I might have overlooked yesterday. There was some sort of natural formation over the river that bridged over the river. That seemed like a good place to go. I would start trying to make my way that way. While the map wouldn’t be able to show it that well, I was resigned either way I would perhaps have to start using my wings if I were to do this. I followed the trail, taking a look around at the scenery around me. It was another clear day it looked…hopefully it would stay that way for the trip. I didn’t hear anything on the weather forecast about any rain or things of that nature.

It was some time, after consulting the SNAG another couple of times, I found the natural bridge like structure. I would start crossing it and eventually made it across no problem. No flight necessary. There did seem to be more walkable ground along this hilly trail that would perhaps get me close to Cabo Poco. As I continued on this path, I started to see relatively familiar sights, Pokémon wise. Hoppip lofting about in the skies, happy as can be. Dunsparce popping out of rock walls, only to slide themselves back in, being the general cave dwellers they were. Starly circling about. Nothing to write home about. Nothing wanting to pick a fight either. Apparently there weren’t really any Paldean native Pokémon that caught my attention for the time being.

As I turned a corner at a rock wall, I would stop in my tracks and I slowly backed away. There a distance away, a pack of Rockruff…and a Lycanroc that was apparently overseeing them. It was orange looking instead of the tan colored ones that I’ve gotten to know better or the bipedal night time ones. This must have been the Dusk Form that I’ve heard a little bit about. The pups were apparently asleep as the adult Lycanroc was overseeing them, watching out for prey or at least standing guard, protecting the pups. I did not need to invoke the ire at the very least of the Lycanroc. I’m not sure even Mudkip would be able to keep it at bay for too long, despite each of them being the Rock type.

Despite trying to be careful, I ended up rubbing against the rock wall, not paying well enough attention that I thought. A few pebbles fell over, which raised the ears of the Lycanroc. It looked back behind itself, taking note to me. “Uh…nothing to see here, buddy…I’m…going to be…on…my way…” I tried saying. The Rockruffs all were brought awake, seeing their intruder nearby. “No need to be hasty and all…no need to fight and-“ The Lycanroc howled out and the Rockruffs started to rush for me. “Of course…” I then said deadpan. Unfortunately for them, they didn’t have the gift of flight. I quickly leaped up and took flight, jumping up to a higher level of the minor grassy craggy area. The Rockruff could only help but to bark at me from below. The Lycanroc would bark at them and the whole lot of them started to run off towards it, starting to follow it down the paths around the crag. “…I don’t like where that’s going…” I would start to make my way off before as the rock-based hounds started their way off, more than likely to find a way up towards me. I wasn’t wanting to stand and fight the likes of them. If I had a more experienced party, I’d probably go for it, but not with what I got.

I made my way off making the run and taking a leap off the cliff and glided off towards another grassy plateau across the way. I wasn’t going to change my route because of a few territorial hounds. When I landed, I looked behind me and then took a look around of the area. I didn’t really sense anything out of the ordinary, nothing coming towards me or anything of the sort. I think I was good. I then turned back around, set to make my way off. One lone Rockruff was before me and was staring at me. “…..really?” It got up on his haunches, growling at me, ready to attack. I looked back for a moment, wondering if it was part of the group I tried to ditch. I could easily run from this thing too. Screw it…

“Mudkip!” I said, tossing the Pokeball out. In a flash, the Mudkip came out of the Pokeball and was ready for battle.

“Muuuddd!” Mudkip squealed out once it arrived.

The Rockruff would take the initiative, rushing for the Mudkip and pounced on Mudkip and went to bite down on the water type. Mudkip squealed out as Rockruff went and dug its fangs, having Mudkip flail about as it tried to kick and tried to get the hound off of him. “What in the world is with everything wanting to bite Mudkip!?” I said, starting to see a rather odd trend. “Mudkip! Get it off of you!” I shouted.

Mudkip managed to kick the Rockruff off and managed to get back at the ready. “Mudkip! Use Water Pulse!” I shouted. The Mudkip fired off its water attack towards the Rockruff, pelting the rambunctious hound, causing a great deal of damage to the rock type. The Rockruff pulled itself up after taking the harsh hit and started to rush for the Mudkip. Rocks started to rip from the ground and started to follow the Rockruff. With a howl, the Rocks launched away from the hound. One blocked Mudkip off. “Mudkip! It’s a Rock Tomb! Get out of there!” Each shot rapidly blocked off Mudkip until one slams into the water type and traps Mudkip.

As Mudkip tries to struggle out of the rocks, the Rockruff started to run after the Mudkip. When Mudkip managed to get on top of the rocks, he was quickly knocked right off of them with a Tackle attack out from the Rockruff. “God, this is being more of a problem than it has any right to be…Mudkip, use Water Gun!” I shouted.

The Mudkip unleashed a harsh stream of water from its mouth. The Rockruff quickly scrambled back trying to avoid the attack. As Mudkip constantly fired its stream, the hound moved about then made the harsh charge towards Mudkip. “Mudkip, incoming!” I shouted. The Mudkip cut off its harsh stream of water then leaped out of the way when the Rockruff tried to tackle down Mudkip once again. The Rockruff skidded, making a harsh 180 degree turn, starting to pull rocks out of the ground once more for yet another Rock Tomb attack. “Mudkip! Water Pulse!” I shouted. The Mudkip fired off yet another harsh pulse towards the Rockruff. The Water Pulse made fierce contact and the Rockruff dropped the rocks that it was meaning to crush Mudkip with and came to a skidding stop.

I looked at the Rockruff as it tried to struggle up. “I think it’s done…” I said. I then perked up, taking note to down below as the whole pack of Rockruff and the Lycanroc started to make their way towards Mudkip and I. “No time to celebrate. Time to go.” I said, recalling Mudkip to his Pokeball and darted off.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:16 pm
Moving my way around the rocky plateaus, trying to get my way to Cabo Poco, I found my way to a clearing. Though it was weird, there seemed to be at one time something built here. Curious, I walked over towards the stone structure nearby. I started to look about the ruins, noting these were carved blocks…old though. Ancient. Safe to assume time did these structures in…presumably. Freth would probably would have liked to look into these structures incidentally. Maybe she should have been the one who took on the gym tour just so she could find these things. Let alone the fact that she too had Pokémon that she could stand to train.

I started to look about the area and then found something that was well out of place. A little chest. A toy, perhaps? Not sure…either way, odd thing to see around here. Curious, I would make my way over to it, staring in confusion. As I approached it and was about to bend down and reach over it, I took notice to a couple of Pokémon, a couple of Pachirisu, rushing off in a bit of a panic. I stared in confusion for a second until my senses started to trip. It was that feeling from that Terastal stuff again. I got my hand close to my Pokéballs, wondering what was it that was starting to show up. I could see it starting to light up ever so slightly nearby around the rock formation and finally I started to see what got the Pachirisu so unnerved. A Scyther. “Son of a…”

The Scyther took notice to me at the ready then gave a screech out. It was highly territorial it seemed, yelling at me, threatening me as it sharped its scythe arms. When I continue to remain unmoved, it screeched out once more and crystal started to form about it. In a crystal burst, it came to in solid white crystal, its crown, a massive diamond. “…Alright, I get the bug antennae, and it took a second with the mausoleum, and the eyeball, but a Diamond could mean almost anything. Come on already!” I said, growling out in irritation. The Scyther then rushed for me, and I would quickly take flight off, jumping on top of the stone structure. The bug would quickly go on hot pursuit, and once again attempt to strike me down, but once again I leaped off, jumping off and landing at the top of a broken pillar. I then quickly jumped down behind it with the Scyther still out to claim something’s head. However, I would take notice that as it rushed for me, it flashed out, its scythes empowered and then gave a mighty Slash, cleaving the pillar in two. “That flash…Normal type!? You’re a blasted Normal Type like that!?”

As I continued to try to keep my distance from the territorial bug, I was trying to figure out the best way to go about this and I started to realize with my current party, there was no good answer to any of it. No fighting types on hand and even if I did, if this Scyther had flying type attacks, that it would perhaps be of an issue. It lost out on its weaknesses that would have kept it otherwise in check. Using Torchic for its fire, or Mudkip for the occasional rock attack, was not going to be of use anymore. In that moment, I started to realize what was the big draw to this terastal stuff for trainers and whoever the hell else in Paldea. Thoughts for another time, however…

“Cubchoo!” I shouted out, releasing the icy bear out for battle. I came to the realization that I didn’t have any good matchups for this thing. It was faster, and other than maybe Cubchoo, nothing was able to take all that much of a hit from something from the likes of a Scyther. Let alone where a good chunk of its known attacks are Normal type, such as the Slash attack that it wanted to take my head off with. As the ball hit the ground, in a flash, out came the bear ready for battle.

“Cub-cha!” The bear spoke up. Followed by a sneeze and the large snot to follow.

Without warning, the Scyther went on the attack, going off towards the bear, once again flashing and readying a Slash attack. “Cubchoo, look out!” I shouted. The Scyther swiped furiously, Cubchoo tries to scramble out of the way, averting a couple of the Slash attacks, but in its relentless pursuit, the Scyther finally hit its mark.

“CUBCHA!” the Cubchoo yelled out.

“Cubchoo! Are you alright!?” I shouted.

The Cubchoo managed to get back on its feet, but that attack was too furious to ignore. We were at a severe disadvantage much to my disdain. A simple change in type threw the math of this whole situation all out of whack, more than I could have imagined. Screw it, we’re going to have to brute force this in a good number of ways. “Cubchoo! Icy Wind!” I would then call out. The Cubchoo then breathed out a biting wind and catching the insect, making it wince a fair bit from the attack. I had to slow this thing down and unfortunately, I didn’t have any Pokémon like Rotom on hand to do just that. The most I could do was perhaps make it sluggish with attacks such as that.

The Scyther however had different ideas as it kicked off the ground and rushed off towards Cubchoo, once again flashing heralding another empowered Normal type attack. “Here it comes again!” I shouted to Cubchoo. The Cubchoo quickly got on the defensive as Scyther started to swipe about. It swung its scythe like arms a couple of times, one across, then one down, trying to strike down the bear fiercely with its Double Hit attack. The Cubchoo dived out of the way from the strikes in a near panic. Despite the Icy Wind, it was still coming in far too fast. And it wasn’t really all that worse for wear. “Cubchoo! Use Ice Punch!” I shouted.

Cubchoo scrambled back up and leapt in, striking the bug with its frigid punch. That got more of a reaction out of the Scyther as ice formed up on the bug. But without even taking the time to even consider nursing the blow, the Scyther flashed once more and came back around with its scythe like arm and struck Cubchoo once more, causing intense damage to the icy bear. Cubchoo, while still conscious, was struggling to get up. “Blast it, Cubchoo, return now!” I said, recalling Cubchoo back to its ball. “Blast it, it’s this bullcrap is why I hate these stupid phenomena in these regions so much!” So much for that idea…plan B, I guess. “Torchic, get to it!” I called out, tossing out the next Pokeball out. In a flash, the Torchic came out with a resounding shrill upon exit.

The Torchic looked up, seeing the towering, gem-crusted bug before him, nearly intimidated over the sinister look over it. “Torchic! Fire Pledge!” I shouted. While I knew this wasn’t going to do the damage it should have otherwise, it still should be enough to get the bug to back off for a moment. The Torchic breathed in and then unleashed a harsh plume of flame towards the Scyther, catching the Scyther in the blaze and made it reel back some. The Scyther then quickly kicked off the ground and got above the flames. Torchic stopped its attack, looking up in wonder and in a little shock as this bug still remained undeterred. While it has taken a fair bit of damage at this point, it still was more than willing to try to cut down any and all who opposed it, and Torchic was now targeted to be the next one on that list.

The Scyther then made a speedy dive towards Torchic. No flash from its terastal power like it has been known to do so far, but it didn’t take much for me to realize what it was. “Torchic! Its an Aerial Ace!” I shouted. “Look out!” Much to my dismay, there wasn’t going to be a lot that Torchic could do against the likes of that. Aerial Ace attacks were known to be insanely fast and accurate, regardless of what was using it. The Scyther slammed into Torchic, causing a great deal of damage to the chic. Torchic got flung back and hit the ground hard, tumbling a bit from the impact.

“Torchic, you okay!?” I shouted.

“Torrrr…” Torchic moaned out. It wasn’t feeling the hottest. This Scyther was quickly becoming far too much.

I then perked up, seeing the Scyther pivot around and gave its crystal flash, its scythes becoming empowered once again. “Another slash attack! Torchic look out!” I shouted. Going wide eyed, the Torchic fell backwards, managing to avert the harsh swipe out of the bug. The Scyther would quickly land and come to a skidding stop, quickly turning around to get its sights locked onto Torchic. Torchic scrambled back up. “Torchic use Ember!” I shouted. The Torchic unleashed its flurry of embers towards the Scyther. The Scyther would quickly try to fly away and Torchic would continue trying to lead its shot, finally catching the crystalized bug in its fiery wake, pelting and searing into the crystalized shell of the Scyther.

Scyther would find itself making an emergency landing, starting to favor where the embers had seared into it. “Burned it…perfect. We need to capitalize while we still can…Fire Pledge!” I shouted. The Scyther had other plans however. Upon hearing me make yet another command, the Scyther quickly flashed and like a shot, quickly moved about the field, trying to keep itself elusive from Torchic’s powerful fire attack then rammed into the chic once more. “Quick attack. No surprise there.” I said irritated. Torchic tumbled back from the attack and continued as commanded, unleashing the blazing attack upon the bug and caught it up in its wake.

Scyther reeled back from the inferno that was brought upon it and much to my surprise, the crystal started to crack about it and finally started to fall off, crown and all. The Scyther was still standing however, still defiant, but he was out of breath. The relentless bug was finally tiring out and it still was favoring the burn earlier. It would come off the ground once more and started to rush for Torchic, its scythes out and ready to lash out once more with another Slash attack upon Torchic. Tired as it was, it was still probably enough to put Torchic out of the fight. “Torchic, here it comes! Move!” I shouted.

The Scyther lashed out as hard as it could, fast as it could, coming down with its scythes to finally strike down Torchic. Torchic quickly ducked and tumbled out of the way, and at one point, even under the tall bug’s legs, to which it responded trying to make a complete 180 degree turn to try to Slash at the tiny fire chick. “Torchic! Bring it down! Fire Pledge!” I shouted. Torchic quickly tumbled about to quickly face its fierce opponent and unleashed another plume of fire upon the bug. With the crystal gone, it was finally having the effect its should have the entire time. The bug was engulfed in the inferno and it finally succumbed to the damage.

“Man…this is…just too much…” I said. “Torchic, you alright?” I spoke up, needing to check up on the fire type. I then perked up, sensing something. A spike of pressure close by. I looked over towards Torchic, seeing him starting to flash a little then started to glow completely. A harsh, furious light started to overtake the immediate area and after a moment faded away. Where Torchic stood, now stood tall a Combusken.

“Com…bus?” Combusken spoke up, trying to look at himself.

“Well look at you.” I said, walking over towards the former Torchic. “Buddy, you did it.” I said, kneeling over towards him. “Congrats. I guess that Scyther pushed you over the edge, huh?”

“Com-bus-ken!” He’d reply.

“How are you feeling?” And almost on cue, Combuskin fell over backwards, needing to catch his breath. Freshly evolved and also fresh from a fierce battle. “Yea, that tracks. Come on, Combusken. Let’s go find somewhere safer so I can check on Cubchoo too. Come back for now.” I said, taking out Combusken’s Pokeball and recalled the freshly evolved Pokémon. I looked back at the fallen Scyther and sighed out. “I’m going to be frustrated this whole trip, aren’t I?” I asked.

As I started to walk off, another realization occurred to me. Real quick, I made my way back towards the ruins, near the wall where I saw that little toy-like chest that I saw earlier before being attacked by the Scyther. But oddly…it wasn’t here anymore. Did it get lost in the scuffle? Did it get burned up by one of my Pokémon’s attacks? Whatever…I guess it wasn’t all that important…  

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

Darksol88
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:55 am
Espeon_Commander

Reno Vantas

"I mean, not really hard to see why something like that would have an effect. Besides, you're a lot more familiar with the cosmos of Ultra Space and all anyway, so it's probably harder not to feel like a part of it, you know?" Aden asked. "Though, I'm sure the Emolga in her pocket's a nice one and wouldn't mind some berries from time to time. Think we're good to head out, though..."

Blizzard120

Looking at the map the team had access to to get his bearings, he'd try to focus on getting some sort of telepathic message to Freth and get his hoverboard out. The distance made things easier said than done, especially since he wanted to try and do so while traveling and maintaining a group link with Reno and Crystal too. He just hoped he wouldn't be trying to catch her in the middle of anything too important. "Hey, Freth," he'd start, the other two psychics hearing the mental broadcast before, with any luck, Freth eventually would. He could swear Cera made this seem easy. "Do you have a bit? The hunter too, if she's willing. There's some stuff we've been meaning to talk about since last month."  
Team Snagem Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff