Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Quoting Books and Authors Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quotes mean
Stupidity and weak opinion
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Intelligence and a way to amplify your opinion
48%
 48%  [ 48 ]
Nothing they're just quotes
41%
 41%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 98

Squall140

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:18 am
The other day I was discussing in a forum and quoted some authors and someone called me stupid. I see how not having your own opinion can be a sign of idiocy but I was using quotes to explain and expound upon my own opinions.
Discuss
-Do quotes mean you're too stupid to support your point
-Does quoting mean you are well read and intelligent
-How great puppies are  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:03 am
Puppies are so cute and adorable and I would just love to have one, and they are great because they can stare at you with those huge eyes and how can you not love them and...

But seriously, I think it all depends. We all know about the Christian extremists who quote passages from the Bible (sometimes out of context) to support their hatemongering, and the immature people who find a psychological or philosophical writing and only use that to answer debates. Those people don't have their own opinions, they take it from (a misinterpretation of) those books. However, more intelligent people can use well-placed quotes to accentuate their opinion or just for fun non-sequiturs. In that case, I do believe the quoting means that you are well-read and an intellectual person.

Solarn

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:01 am
It depends on who you're quoting and what you're quoting them for.

If the quote has nothing to do with the discussion, or if you're misquoting someone, yes, that can be pretty stupid. Also it probably isn't in your best interest to quote people who don't matter, ie have little to no experience in regards to the topic.

If you're using quotes by people who know what they're talking about, and it helps you prove your point, then there should be nothing wrong with the situation.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:33 am
Using quotes does not make a person stupid. It's the same with cliches. It's a way to help other people understand what you're saying in laymen's terms.
Puppies are great. I have a black lab/husky mix and he's the absolute cutest thing in the world!!! heart  

Celestialize_Lenne

Princess Xenodice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:46 am
I think I love you...

[I think it all depends on the situation and the origin of the quote i.e. Books/Articles/Movies/etc. you get the picture.

I like to quote poetry once in a while.I use them when my friends are feeling down.It's sort of a little way to boost their optimism or cheer them up a little.

It only shows a lack of thought/imagination if you overuse it or restate it so many different times.Then they become their own cliches.]

Far too much

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:53 am
i think there's a time and place for quotes. certainly, in normal conversation, a witty or profound quote that really accents your point can be perfect. and it's just fun to talk in quotes sometimes. ^^ but personally, i think they shouldn't ever be used in formal papers or speeches.

and i have a puppy-she tries to bite my hand/arm/foot/leg off all the time...and then occasionally she'll stare at me with big solemn eyes. ;P

scarlet drago

paradoxical

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:06 am
I think quotes can defenitely add to an argument, if used correctly. They help support ideas and show that your argument isn't just your opinion. However, they can be used too excessively and when you use more quotes than your own argument, it tends to backfire.

I adore puppies, especially fluffy ones. My dogs haven't been puppies in a very long time..  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:08 am
I believe that quoting (not too much though) shows that you are well-read in the classics. If you quote from something that shows cultural literacy, it should be a sign that you know what you should.  

Avalona_Avia

spexial

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm
A) Quoting books is sometimes annoying, but if you're going to use them well, I don't understand how they could make you look stupid. You're experessing your opinion, only through someone else's words.
2) Quoting doesn't mean you're well-read, just that you can quote from any one book you have read. It does prove, however, that you CAN actually read. blaugh
III) Puppies are great. Super great. I love to eat mine with ketchup. domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:13 am
Quotes are good when used properly, but alot of people quote out of context, and too many people expect them to carry their arguments.  

rathalos2006

Izzabot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:16 pm
I love it when someone makes a witty reference to a quote or a bit of pop culture. They tend to be very funny as well as intelligent.  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:08 pm
dboyzero
It depends on who you're quoting and what you're quoting them for.

If the quote has nothing to do with the discussion, or if you're misquoting someone, yes, that can be pretty stupid. Also it probably isn't in your best interest to quote people who don't matter, ie have little to no experience in regards to the topic.

If you're using quotes by people who know what they're talking about, and it helps you prove your point, then there should be nothing wrong with the situation.

Completely agree! I say, more power to ya if you can quote...I sure as hell can't!

I'm horrible at remembering quotes. lol whee  

Miss Gish

Javinus

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:01 pm
I think of quoting as a tool, as most have already stated, to help prove one's point.

Quotes can be very powerful if used correctly, and it's an art to obtain "correctly." I remember in highschool my english teacher made a point to us when we were composing our research papers: we need to do the research and use the quotes we find to support our thesis, but our paper cannot be make entirely of quotes, for we will no longer be proving our own point, but instead merely restating what someone else said.

Why can't we just omit the quoting process? Because it would be very difficult to make a point and have anyone believe or respect it. It would be like trying to build a house out of thin air - we need materials other people have produced to help make things tangible, The human race has been around for a long time now, so there is rarely anything new under the sun. Thus, we must always reach back to the ideas of those who came before us to craft what is in front of us now.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:54 pm
Well, it kinda depends on the quote, and how it fits the discussion too.  

Spooky Ames

Malekhi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:05 am
Quotes.. in my opinion, demonstrate how broad your learning is. if you can find a quote just floating around in your head that backs up your point than power to ya brotha!!

ignore them.. they are just jellous. stupidity doesnt even come into it! (well, not ion your behalf anyways xp )  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff