Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What name do you prefer?
  Nintendo Revolution
  Nintendo Wii
View Results

MasterCarse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm
Hello everyone! I may be a new member to the guild, but I would like to see how you felt about the Revolution's recent name change to Wii. If you haven't seen anything about this, here is the official link. www.revolution.nintendo.com
Well what do you all think about this?
Personaly, I think it's kinda weird but I suppose it will grow on me.
Your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:09 pm
Yeah, it seems kinda weird. It's pronounced "we". Er, I just don't know. It seems like it'll be exposed to a lot of jokes, but then again a lot of people didn't like the name "Play Station" so who knows. neutral  

Strideo
Crew

LymantriaDispar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:32 am
.//Oui, Ill still call it Revolution -_-;;
Or 'that new nintendo system'

I think its stupid that they decide to change the name after people get interested in it.
If there are people already talking about how interested they are in 'Nintendo Revolution' Then it should probably keep that already well-known name.
At least that makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 am
[.MH.]

I think its stupid that they decide to change the name after people get interested in it.
If there are people already talking about how interested they are in 'Nintendo Revolution' Then it should probably keep that already well-known name.
I think you have a good point there.

One more thing:
User Image
What the heck? confused

Strideo
Crew

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:05 am
Strideo
[.MH.]

I think you have a good point there.

One more thing:
User Image
What the heck? confused

rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:06 am
I heard about this story. I think it's extremely stupid, and not just because of all the horrendous puns that come out of "wii." Revolution makes it sound epic and behemoth; whereas "wii" or "we" makes it sound small, insignificant, and weak. It's a poor marketing strategy from those zany people across the puddle. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to wii.  

Jimbo10230

Angelic Light Blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:53 am
Strideo

User Image
What the heck? confused

Pretty sweet, eh? I'll definately use the "nun-chuku analog stick" shown on that picture. Without that, it'd be hard as hell, using one thumb for buttons AND moving...

Pft. I'll probably always call it Nintendo Revolution. Or I'll making fun of it and call it:
The Nintendo Pii.
Or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:03 am
Wii sounds nice, it has no sounding meaning in Spanish or German, sounds like yes in french.

I would call it Nintendo Legion(sorry, been in a castlevania kick lately).  

KleSt

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:11 pm
Nintendo won't be satisified until they can get everyone to play with their Wii whee  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:17 pm
Strideo
Nintendo won't be satisified until they can get everyone to play with their Wii whee

Even though you were joking, what you literally said is more or less what it sounds like they're trying to do with this. What I mean is they're looking at everybody, not the hardcore gaming market. A point I've seen made that makes a lot of sense to me is that they're trying to create a name that's so incredibly simple that the average Janes and Joes of the world will be able to distinguish and remember it without at the same time feeling like they're entering the "confusing" hardcore gaming market. Nintendo is trying to reach across social barriers to entertain the greater masses.

Sure, I agree that Revolution sounds cooler. Then again, I know that Sony Music should rot in hell for intentionally putting rootkits on their music CDs, that Microsoft has been convicted of being and abusing its monopoly, that Pebble-Bed nuclear reactors are unable by design to have a critical meltdown, and most importantly that a zergling rush is an annoying pain in the a**. My point? I'm a geek... or a nerd... or even simply a gamer. I am not an average joe. There is a large market of (more) normal people that could easily be enjoying the same games and a name should mean more to them.

Fortunately, I'll be getting the Wii not because of the name but because of the gameplay. I expect some interesting things from Nintendo regardless of what they call their system.  

Nadian
Crew

Altae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:37 pm
*ahem*

For brief paraphrase of my thoughts, see my signature.

Now, I'm a die hard Nintendo fan, and I'm still going to buy the system, stupid name change or not. However, those who were iffy on the subject will most likely be put off by it and not purchase one. Way to go Nintendo, you just shot your "appealling to larger audience" facade to itsy-bitsy-teeny-wiiny pieces.

However, I think once this passes after awhile, we'd get used to the name, and it won't be such a joke any more. Hopefully.

That being said, though. Revolution is a much cooler name than Wii.

Nintendo better fire their marketing committee after this fiasco. Dumbasses.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:11 pm
Altae
Nintendo better fire their marketing committee after this fiasco. Dumbasses.

I dunno. Other than what I've said in my post, I forgot to mention that because of their choice of name they are getting HUGE publicity for almost nothing. There is a saying; any publicity is good publicity. There can be exceptions such but this can't be one of them. I mean, it's not like it was a press release where Nintendo said they'd be sacrificing children to pagan gods to make it work. Yeah, this publicity doesn't scream "Nintendo is an evil company."

Also, it just occured to me that by making the name silly like this it probably drastically increases the chances of people buying it because they're drunk. rofl  

Nadian
Crew

MasterCarse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:38 pm
Wait a second... We? it wouldn't be pronouced like "We" If It followed that weird english rule I learned in kindergarden. It was like "When 2 vowels go walking, the first one does the talking". So, basicly it would be pronounced "Why"....I think...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:25 pm
MasterCarse
Wait a second... We? it wouldn't be pronouced like "We" If It followed that weird english rule I learned in kindergarden. It was like "When 2 vowels go walking, the first one does the talking". So, basicly it would be pronounced "Why"....I think...

Except remember this wasn't made by a primarily-english company... Nintendo is a japanese company, after all. Then again, there are many exceptions to common english rhymes like that, probably because we borrow from so many different languages. Anyways, the best example I can remember is the "I before E except after C" rhyme, with "weird" clearly violating this rule.

In any case, I seem to recall a Slashdot post which had a link to an official Nintendo page (or press release?) which said it was pronounced "wee" ; take me saying that with a grain of salt since I can't find the link for you.  

Nadian
Crew

MasterCarse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:11 pm
Nadian
MasterCarse

Except remember this wasn't made by a primarily-english company... Nintendo is a japanese company, after all. Then again, there are many exceptions to common english rhymes like that, probably because we borrow from so many different languages. Anyways, the best example I can remember is the "I before E except after C" rhyme, with "weird" clearly violating this rule.

In any case, I seem to recall a Slashdot post which had a link to an official Nintendo page (or press release?) which said it was pronounced "wee" ; take me saying that with a grain of salt since I can't find the link for you.

I know, but It was just a random English though. It sorta took me back to my kindergarden days. I miss nap time. crying  
"TDX" Tails Doll X - Video-Gaming Subforum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff