Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
Deaf Day Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which sense would hurt you the most to lose?
  Hearing
  Sight
  Touch
  Taste
  Scent
View Results

Mara_Brightwing

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:17 pm
My daughter, who is sixteen and in her second year of sign language, was given the assignment to be deaf for the day. She started at 8 pm, and it doesn't end until 3 pm tomorrow afternoon. She has to wear earplugs, and is not allowed to speak except in sign language. Tomorrow will be a challenge because she cannot recieve any information by way of hearing. The teachers know of her assignment but that doesn't mean they will give her a free ride for the day. Tomorrow evening, her homework is to write an essay on what it's like to be deaf. It's a lucky thing I know a little bit of sign language too, or she would have never made it tonight..LOL!

She's finding out that it's hard to be without one of your senses. It's hard to communicate, and it's hard to look at the world in the same way.

If one of your senses were taken away, what would you do, and how would it make you feel?  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:23 pm
well ive worked with bolth a def and a blind person...and i know the best way for a ef person to get someones attantion is by stomping ont he ground or makeing some other autitory sound so that others reconise her. also try to get her to carry aaround a pen pad and paper just in case there is something lost in translation  

Darthspanky

shjkasfj

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:26 pm
I would hate losing my vision because then i couldn't see the ones i love. neutral  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 pm
My future career, my current hobbies, my dream of seeing the world...everything I hold dear rides on my eyes. If I lost my sight...I don't know what I'd do.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

GracieLou

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:58 pm
i already have pretty bad eyesight as is, so i've never really relied on it. sound to me is so precious, especially because i play musical instruments and i like hearing music. there's something so right about hearing the heartbeat of your lover or the comforting voice of someone who loves you. i would be so sad if i could no longer hear those things.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:52 pm
I know I couldn't stand losing my hearing, I'm addicted to music and sounds in any way, I hate it when it's quiet I get stressed and irritated and stuff like that...  

Ketake

SilentKunoichi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 pm
The future career that I have chosen for mostly relies on my sight, and hearing. I'd feel lost without them.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:56 pm
Touch, sight and sound are the biggest things for me. It would be so hard to live with, and it makes us think about how lucky we actually are.  

T h e M a d H a t t e r

HvKxGankQueenVi

Hilarious Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:17 am
id hate to not be able to see for then i couldent draw... being deaf i would be able to handel hinks to self haha no more annoying ppl to hear while i draw hahahahaha.... but then no music awww  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:36 am
well i actually am hearing impaired as it is, i wear hearing aids, so sound isn't as precious to me as sight  

EggaSponge

Litikami

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:59 am
My eyesight is not good, but it's not bad and I enjoy a fuzzy and often misinterpreted sense of reality. I would not want to lose it. My perspective is unique and helps me pass on what I see into artwork that most people enjoy. I don't think I would want to lose hearing either. My brain depends on it, but I think that I am mostly a visual learner. I have a photographic memory and without sight, I would be dead: Double dead. I would develop learning disabilities, misconceptions, and I would feel soooooo isolated. I don't think I could make it. Especially if I lost color. My world revolves around color. I'd cry. crying crying  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 am
While i LOVE my eyes (i have perfect 20/20 vision durring the day) and i would really miss watching my anime... i think the worst thing that could happen would be to lose my hearing... I really dont rely on my eyes too much when it comes to sensing things. And it would be near impossible to do my music without my ears. I cant imagine what somone who cant hear really has to go thru, sure we can put earplugs or our fingers in our ears but that only blocks out most of the sounds, we can really still hear most things. I can close my eyes and walk around my house but i think i would be almost helpless without my hearing...

(i cracked some vertebre when i was young and my sense of touch/feel is alot duller than normal people, this has created many problems for me as i am unaware of many injuries untill i see them)  

Sakura-Kyoukan

evil_stitch

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:21 am
i couldnt live without my eyes, it would be too hard.. b/c then i couldnt see my lil one or josh so yeah it'd suck  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 am
All my senses are so important to me, I don't think I could pick one that I'd miss the most (though if I lost my sense of taste, I could probably lose some weight wink ). Senses are the only way I have to interpret the world I live in, so missing any of them would be like missing a corner piece in a jigsaw puzzle or something.

My eyesight kinda sucks anyway, but if I couldn't see a rainbow or lightning or my honey anymore, that'd really suck. Sure I have memories of seeing those things, but memories fade and warp over time.

I was half-deaf and couldn't smell much of anything when I was a kid (surgery fixed it when I was 5); I don't so much remember that it was bad not being able to hear and smell stuff (because it was all I knew at the time), but I remember after the surgery, everything seemed so loud, I didn't have to ask people to repeat what they said, and I was awestruck at the smell of cooking bacon the next morning. I don't want to go back to not being able to wake up to cooking bacon again.

All of my senses have particular significance when I'm spending time with my honey, but I'm not going into detail there >.>  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

Aitoyoru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:40 pm
crying I would hate to lose sight or hearing. If would cut you off from so much! I'd cry every day if I lost sight or hearing. Must be hard.

Touch would be a little better. HUgs would be a lot different. sad  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces