Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
POT!! Thats right i have an argument! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should cannabis be legalized?
  Absolutely! Gimme gimme gimme....
  Only for medical uses.
  NO WAI!
View Results

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:22 am
ok! my question-if u dare reply: Why the hell is pot illegal when other drugs such as syllvia, and drugs that can kill you is not? is it just a huge conspiracy in which the government means to lesson the population on earth because were growing too fast? or is it something stupid like the taxing thing? i want ur personal opinion..  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:38 am
My opinion: It all boils down to money. Back in the day ppl used hemp for building and clothes and used pot too. I mean tree sized ones. When it became widely used and too affordable and accesible then they axed it. This country is alot about money and a little about common sense!  

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

Professional Conversationalist

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:49 am
SorceressRydia
My opinion: It all boils down to money. Back in the day ppl used hemp for building and clothes and used pot too. I mean tree sized ones. When it became widely used and too affordable and accesible then they axed it. This country is alot about money and a little about common sense!

common sense or not, dont u find it odd that they can tax all these other drugs(which people become more addicted too) and they dont? do u think it might be possible that some conspiracy is going on...?  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:50 am
Archarion
SorceressRydia

common sense or not, dont u find it odd that they can tax all these other drugs(which people become more addicted too) and they dont? do u think it might be possible that some conspiracy is going on...?

i mean if it was about money they would tax the other drugs..am i right?  

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:54 am
They don't need to tax legal drugs. They already run the prices through the roof for them and the drug companies give money to politicians and run adds mesmerizing ppl. The major drug companies also offer top of the line benefits to doctors who prescribe certain brands of medicine that cost more. No joke. Had a friend who telemarketed doctors offering cars, cruises, vacation packs, golf club memberships, etc. It's illegal for drug companies to bribe medical practices with money but sadly it's a legal loophole to offer any variety of big item bribes. Therefore noone's gonna just let it be legal and lose all that money on something that works better, has fewer negative side effects, costs less, and can be produced on simple dirt. I guess that could be considered conspiratory but it doesn't seem to have a chance to change until a depression hits or something. confused  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:04 am
Alright. I'm off to bed. I think. I might stick around. This laptop can go anywhere. Feel free to check my profile and add me if you like. I've got a fun page! Nice intelligent conversation. Don't see so much of that around this time of night/morning! Peace out!  

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Angelic_Highlights
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:06 am
If your talking about legal drugs then simply it is down to the people who buy then as to what they use them for. They cannot stop them or tax them because they could become problematic...

The illegal drugs stay that way for many reasons whilst normal drugs are not that is because it actually is for medical reasons.

*moved to dicussion i feel thats a good place for it*  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:37 am
Marijuana (cannabis satvia) is currently an illegal drug listed as a Schedule I controlled substance.

From Wikipedia
Schedule I drugs

Findings required:

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.
(D) The drug is not alcohol (ethanol) due to the failure of prohibition.

It takes a very long time, and a lot of research and money, to move a substance from a Schedule I classification to a Schedule II classificiation. (The current research could actually move it to a Schedule III, IV or V classification.) And even when it IS moved, marijuana in its usual form (IE, dried leaves and buds that are smoked) is not likely to be legal. THC, the active component of cannabis, can be extracted and put into pill form (dronalbinol, brand name Merinol), into a sublingual (under the tongue) spray (brand name Sativex), or vaporized for inhaler or nebulizer use. It will not be legalized for recreational use any more than cocaine, heroin or methamphetimenes are.

There is currently a rescheduling petition that has been filed, accepted by the DEA on April 3, 2003. This is likely to come up before the US Court of Appeals before it makes it to the Supreme Court. This could make cannabis legal for MEDICAL use, under the direction and supervision of a doctor.

Those medical uses are as follows:
~appetite stimulant and pain relief for cancer and AIDS patients
~nausea relief during chemotherapy
~relief of glaucoma
~calming of neurological disorders such as epilepsy, migraine and bipolar disorder
~reducing arterial blockages
~treatment of multiple sclerosis

The argument has nothing to do with taxes or the drug companies making more money, but it has everything to do with one very specific thing: its high level of addiction and its high level of abuse. This being said, the medical use of cannabis is legal in Canada, the United Kingdom, and Spain. It can be legally possessed in the UK and is in the process of being legalized in Mexico.

On the other hand, possession of even very small amounts of cannabis can lead to long jail terms or even execution in some East Asian countries. In the US, cannabis possession is most likely to net you a short jail term and a fine for possession of a small amount.

Your best bet: Leave the stuff alone unless you're under the supervision of a physician, folks.

Bibliography:
Cannabis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

Controlled Substances Act (information on drug schedules):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act

Cannabis rescheduling in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_rescheduling_in_the_United_States  

Mara_Brightwing

o0o_m_i_k_e_y_o0o

Dapper Gaian

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:24 am
i honestly think it should be legalised for medical purposes only but realistically they might as well legalise it completely because so many people smoke it and have it on them and such even the cops just take some off them for themselves and send them on thier way in england so its pointless in making it illegal when its widely used and no action is taken  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:45 pm
i agree. the whole thing is just stupid. systems screwd! stare  

Archarion

Romantic Heckler

6,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Team Edward 100

Mara_Brightwing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:45 pm
Archarion
i agree. the whole thing is just stupid. systems screwd! stare
In what way do you think the system is screwed? Personally, I find the way that the government is handling the issue quite reasonable. They are going forward in a cautious manner, just like they would the newest cancer treatments, the latest heart medication, the most recent AIDS vaccine. Yes, THC is legal in some countries already. A very few allow its recreational use.

As I stated before, the main issues at hand are its high level of addiction and its high potential for abuse. As long as this is the case, recreational marijuana will remain illegal.

Think of other drugs that have a medical use. Cocaine is a very good painkiller, but it is illegal for recreational use. Heroin, once used for acute pain and during heart attacks, is now illegal in the United States. Methamphetamines were used in the treatment of narcolepsy, alcoholism, certain depressive states, and obesity, and though it is legal under a doctor's supervision (under the brand name Desoxyn) it is rarely prescribed, and it is illegal for street manufacture or use.

All drugs that are legal for street use are over-the-counter medications. If you are in possession of ANY drug that needs a doctor's prescription, and cannot prove that the prescription was written for you, you can face some major jail time. In fact, sometimes even if the prescription is written for you you can get in trouble, if abuse is suspected; in the case of Rush Limbaugh, who "shopped" doctors to feed his addiction to painkillers, was offered a plea bargain settlement of $30,000 and 18 months in a detox center.

Just saying "the system is screwed" gives no one any information as to why you belive it to be true.

Reference pages:
Wikipedia: Heroine
Wikipedia: Methamphetamine
Wikipedia: Rush Limbaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:54 am
I peresonally think that alcohol and tobacco should be made illegal if pot is illegal. alcohol and tabacco cause more deaths and illness and all kinds of other problems or make you angry but all pot does is make people happy and lazy.

they should just legalize it and tax it up the a** becaue everyone is going to buy it, and the state/us could make so much money that way.

i think it should be legalized with lws similar to drinking, such as dwi/dui and stuff like that.  

B e l a c

Rydia-Beck aka Lillea

Captain

8,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:17 pm
boy-toy-kun
I peresonally think that alcohol and tobacco should be made illegal if pot is illegal. alcohol and tabacco cause more deaths and illness and all kinds of other problems or make you angry but all pot does is make people happy and lazy.

they should just legalize it and tax it up the a** becaue everyone is going to buy it, and the state/us could make so much money that way.

i think it should be legalized with lws similar to drinking, such as dwi/dui and stuff like that.

Agreed.
And my issue with marajuana being illegal is because of that... Alcohol and tobacco have more negative side effects and are illegal... Granted there is more tar in a joint than a cigarette but then realize even the most enthusiastic toker *cough cough* won't be smoking as much marajuana as a person would smoke cigarettes. But I don't see anything changing anytime soon so I'm saving to visit Amsterdam! W00t! And no not just for that... mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:29 pm
I too think it should be legal, though I won't be buying it.

Actually, I think it's legal for medical use in my state already...if they haven't revoked it. I know they've revoked the doctor-assisted suicide at least once already...

Anyway, yeah, I agree with Toy and Rydia ^.^  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

elemanic67

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:30 pm
Archarion
ok! my question-if u dare reply: Why the hell is pot illegal when other drugs such as syllvia, and drugs that can kill you is not? is it just a huge conspiracy in which the government means to lesson the population on earth because were growing too fast? or is it something stupid like the taxing thing? i want ur personal opinion..

the reason the drugs are unlegalized is because the way they make you act, feel, and because they kill faster than the drugs that are legalized
therefore they should remain as illegal.

drugs+legality=increased death rate  
Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces