Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply *RolePlaying*
The Role Playing F.A.Q. - Learn to RP and More!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Don't forget your poll.
  =)
View Results

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:01 am
First off, I'm introducing myself as a crew member of FG-4-PGs and I'll be the one reviewing the role playing subforum. Role players, please remember to ADD A POLL to your topic. In not doing so, your topic will be removed and you will loose that role-play.

Rules:
Add a poll
Follow the ToS
No cybering or sexually explict posts
No spam
If your asked to stop using vulgar langauge or asked to stop being harassive, then stop or I will ban you. That simple.
Inactive role-play will be removed after a month.

Added by angelic highlights

NO GODMODDING
NO KILLING OFF CHARACTERS WITHOUT PERMISSION

Help Me Out - Report:
(Alright, I can't go into every single role-play and see if you're following the rules so report any users who have disobyed rules or have ruined your role play.)

What To Report:
~ No poll
~ Cybering
~ Harassive Users
~ Spam
~ Your concerns
~ Godmodding
~ Killing off characters

Another thing:
If you wish to close your role play, tell me so and I'll lock it.
Ahem, new concern, if I tell you add a poll - don't even comment on it. Just do it, if it isn't directed at you, don't say anything.

Kay, I'll update if needed. Have fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 am
The Role-Playing FAQ by Goddess Ace

Truly, role-playing on the internet is called “free-form role-playing.” This means we have the ability to create a character and give them our own desired strengths, powers, talents, actions, and so on. This FAQ is here to help users understand free-form role-playing” as well as make a successful role-play.

Character Creation is Very Flexible But…
No one wants a character to be God like! This means your character can not be perfect; he or she can not kill everyone in an instant or win over all the ladies because you say so. No one wants to play with such a character.

So how do I create a character?
You can go two routes…
Follow the guideline of the role-play.
Example: If the role-play you want to enter is about wolves, then create your character as a wolf and follow the character sheet.
Make it an original. [But make sure if it fits! Don’t use a fantasy character if you’re role-playing as an ordinary high school student.]
Example: I’ve got a cool race I created called Idous, they are creatures that can change into anything and special dragon forms. They would fit in a cool fantasy role-play!

Can't I just use an anime character?
It depends - if the role-play is on Naruto you can be Rock Lee or whoever. You can also use a Naruto OC (Original Character).
But it's not so wise to use Inuyasha in a role-play about mermaids - he's not a mermaid, duh.
In the end, it comes down to the person creating the role-play. They are the ones who accept your character to role-play or not. If they don't want to use Sailor Moon characters - don't argue.

I still don't know how to role-play... sweatdrop
Next post 4laugh  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:08 am
How do I role-play?

You can do this two ways...
Create a character and either make a role-play or join one you like.
Or
Find a role-play you like and create a character to fit the role-play.

So you found the role-play!
Now what do you do?
Well, first you need to post or pm (read the role-play to find out) your character. You either have to wait for approval or just jump right in.

Be cautious!
Don't jump in out of no where. There's nothing more annoying than someone poping up and has nothing to do with the role-play. Find out when it would be a good time for you to join.
You also need to find if it's "private" or not. Many role-plays keep it private so the plot can stay on track. This will be explained more later.

You're ready to start.
Get a good idea of the plot or story and start interacting. Don't keep to yourself and WAIT for the other user's reply. Even if it takes a week, it happens. PM the user even if you are concerned. Do your best to stick with the plot but also try to make some progress.

Advice:
Fantasy role-plays: Try to be specific in one field - if you're an elf don't switch to ninja or gun mage. Create a new character if you want to be something different. Heck, kill your character off if you don't want to use them anymore or send them away. Your task is to stay on topic and keep the role-play going.
Romance: Don't be shy! If you like someone or want to try it; I would just pm the user or you could make it obvious. Just don't get over the PG-13 limit and don't make it take-over the entire role-play.
Fighting: Just try your best and don't be invinsible. You win some, you loose some and it's better to have team work.
Open up: If a new user enters the role-play - don't ignore them. Do your best to include them because no one wants to be left out.

Style:
Your writing needs to be clear. It is very annoying to read someone's writing when it is horribly mispelled as well as lack of periods. Do not be afraid to use spell-check or look the word up; it helps.
Same goes for dialect.
Examples:
Bad -
Bob: *Bob walks into the bar and waves to Joe* Hey Joe, what are you up too?
Okay -
Bob walks into the bar and sees Joe sitting down at a table; he waves to Joe.
Bob: Hey Joe, what are you up too?
Good -
It was around six o'clock when Bob walked down to Berry's Bar. Inside the dim bar sat Joe at the table in the far left corner. Bob waved to Joe, making conversation. "Hey Joe, what are you up too?"

I'll admit, you don't have to go into that much detail - it is more advanced. But I know users like it better :3
As for using first person; that's okay but I often see users using third-person.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:07 am
Creating a Role-Play
Ha, sorry Wendy I'm editing your post! Love ya <3

You have many choices of themes for your role-play; fantasy, romance, and anime-based are the most popular. My advice; stick to one genre. Don't let romance take over a fantasy. As far as basing a role-play off Pokemon, Harry Potter, etc - keep it to their story-line. If you're going to make up a bunch of stuff just change it all up.

I've picked my genre, what now?
Go into detail. This is like writing an English paper. You need to have the following -
Exposition (Back ground information)
Setting (Time, location)
Plot (Main objective)
Character Sheet (To give the user an idea of what you are looking for)

Tip - post your characters you've created in the sticky. You can look back at them if you need too.

Encourage the Masses!
Keeping a role-play alive can be tough. You need dedicated users. Ask users to join or your friends. But INCLUDE them. If you are going to invite users, you need to incorporate them into the role-play. Sticking with only your buddies is rude. You need to be open or state that your role-play is PRIVATE. Meaning, you only want a few certain users. I encourage users that want a private role-play to keep character sheets only to pms.

Tell them what you want!
I have to stress this, if you want an advanced role-play - state so. It won't help being stuck with someone who can't keep up. And speak up if they're screwing up your role-play. You put it together, they have no right to mess it up.

And if it's just not going anywhere...
Let it die. Struggling to keep something alive just doesn't work. You are better off coming up with another plot.  

IMWanderling

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:13 am
How about telling me those cool character pics!

Pretty much, you can go on google and type in image search anything you're looking for. Just add "anime."
Or you can go to Gaia mini-shops and order a drawing of your character if you don't want to steal :3

Steal? That's right. Those well done CG-characters that everyone says is their "role-playing" character isn't really THEIRS. It's someone elses creation and you're coming in to make up one big story for them. Sorry, but it's really annoying. Haven't you learned about copy-right yet? Or maybe art-theft? Stop disrespecting the artist.

Well, I don't want to pay gold for a drawing...
Then tektek.org! We're on Gaia, why not base something off Gaia's clothes. We've got enough for something. Or you can draw your character or even make one heck of a description. Art-theft is wrong though and quite annoying seeing the same damage picture over and over agian with twenty different Japanese names and a Mary-Sue personality.

End Rant  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:34 am
Now that's just DUMB.
Heh, editing another post Wendy D: I hate to remove 'em.

All right, I've been in a number of role-plays and found out that users can be pretty stupid. So here's what not to do!

Avoid doing the following...
- Act honry, lol
Why? Well, unless your character is a slut (which I have played before) then drop it. No one wants to hear about you wanting it in you or how you're in heat and all the boys want you. Go read some smut and keep it off Gaia. Sluts are just go for comic relief.

- Not post for a month
Unless you got growned or whatever; don't just avoid the role-play. If you want to drop out; then drop out. Or at least inform someone that you won't be posting for awhile. And you might as well make your character do something that excuses them from doing whatever.

- Posting for another user
Some users dislike having YOU play their character. Giving them a special attack or changing a personality trait makes the creator get a bit ticked. Just keep to your character and WAIT for a reply.

- Get pregnant?
Eh, unless it's a pregnancy role-play... I advise not to even try this. Why? Normally, it takes nine months for a baby to be born. Speeding up the role-play will kill it. And you have to act pregnant, going on an adventure with a baby inside you is like asking for a free abortion. And then you don't even act upset? Yick. Just don't go there.

- I'm not going to interact with these new people.
Hello? New users = alive role-play. If it stays inactive for a month it gets deleted. And anyway, you will NEVER become a better role-player if you keep inside your shell. Try your best to follow everyone's posts and don't ditch someone because you barely know them.

- Post after yourself
There is an edit button - use it. If you post after yourself repeatly it is spamming and that is against the guild rules.

Added on by angelic highlights

Avoid GODMODDING at all times! do not take control of another persons character or state what there doing for example "caisy walked down the stairs and saw bret waiting for her, smiling she took his hand and they walked away through the school doors, out into the courtyard" this is called godmodding when you are taking control of another persons character without there permission.

Dont kill off other peoples characters it isnt nice and don't go jumping the gun in fights and such. If they wish for there character to be killed off then simply pm goddess ace and she will do so. DONT take it into your own hands to kill them off.

IMWanderling

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:52 am
I will update posts and add on.

Please pm questions instead of posting here. It is best to keep this FAQ on one page.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:35 am
Goddess Ace
First off, I'm introducing myself as a crew member of FG-4-PGs and I'll be the one reviewing the role playing subforum. Role players, please remember to ADD A POLL to your topic. In not doing so, your topic will be removed and you will loose that role-play.

Rules:
Add a poll
Follow the ToS
No cybering or sexually explict posts
No spam
If your asked to stop using vulgar langauge or asked to stop being harassive, then stop or I will ban you. That simple.
Inactive role-play will be removed after a month.

Added by angelic highlights

NO GODMODDING
NO KILLING OFF CHARACTERS WITHOUT PERMISSION

Help Me Out - Report:
(Alright, I can't go into every single role-play and see if you're following the rules so report any users who have disobyed rules or have ruined your role play.)

What To Report:
~ No poll
~ Cybering
~ Harassive Users
~ Spam
~ Your concerns
~ Godmodding
~ Killing off characters

Another thing:
If you wish to close your role play, tell me so and I'll lock it.
Ahem, new concern, if I tell you add a poll - don't even comment on it. Just do it, if it isn't directed at you, don't say anything.

Kay, I'll update if needed. Have fun.

DatBoiAlex10

x-Fallen-Angel-Iloveyou-x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:22 pm
*Glaces around the room though soft , amber , sun set eyes as i glaces around approachs a door opens the door curiously, popping my head around the door *

( you may write on from here any rp players )  
*RolePlaying*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games