Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The word evil Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ED104

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:16 pm
What is with the word evil and darkness they think just because people are dark they are evil or people that are evil are dark. Evil, that is a word people throw around to easily, I have many friends who are dark but very sweet and careing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:27 pm
edited: Thanks for clarifying.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

torrinne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:20 pm
Because, in general, darkness is used as a symbol for evil/bad, and light is a symbol for good. It probably stems from religion--"I am the light of the world" sort of thing. If Jesus/God is the light of the world--which is good--then the opposite must be the darkness/evil. Note that that logic isn't necessarily the way I think, but it's logic nevertheless.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:01 pm
What Torrinne said is ture. However I hve notice that goth and punk kids tend to be alot nicer then prepy kids. I point this out becuase Goths are seen as dark and preps are the light. Ironicaly, preps at my school are sterotypical bratty losers. Goths and punks may occassionally be crazy but their stil nice, but I digress. It's all about apearance. Goth look scary and dark thus they are evil. Those who are dark come of cynical and scary thus they are evil. I hope I made some sense. sweatdrop  

StrawberryBudikai

Hilarious Genius

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:07 am
Like it has been mentioned, it's all about social connotations. People inherently associate the dark with evil because they fear the unknown, and darkness represents that which is unknown. When you start refering to punks and goths, their kind of "dark" is just counter-culture, the kind of shock value which frightens the older, more conservative generation. The reason the preppy kids are so well accepted is because the older generation is more comfortable with them, whereas the counter-culture by nature makes it difficult to swallow for most parents and older adults.

People label things as "evil" because they don't like it, don't understand it, or fear it. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't label punks/goths/counter-culture as evil, unless they openly practiced taboo rituals like Satanism or animal sacrifice.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:42 am
StrawberryBudikai
What Torrinne said is ture. However I hve notice that goth and punk kids tend to be alot nicer then prepy kids. I point this out becuase Goths are seen as dark and preps are the light. Ironicaly, preps at my school are sterotypical bratty losers. Goths and punks may occassionally be crazy but their stil nice, but I digress. It's all about apearance. Goth look scary and dark thus they are evil. Those who are dark come of cynical and scary thus they are evil. I hope I made some sense. sweatdrop
Gothic people are to me the sweetest people ive ver met. And preps well just another story.  

toughluck22894

Malekhi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:52 pm
i blame the tv. starwars.. thats what's done it!!

lol nah but seriously media does play a large roll in the way we percieve things. i think evil and darkness are kind of the same thing.. but then thats probably primarily due to the lengthy exposure i have had to tv shows and movies that emphasise this. (ie. starwars!) xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 am
Dark is not always meaning evil in all cultures...
Where I live white is the symbol of death and black the symbol of birth and beggining...
So it depends on where you live and the culter of the area.  

greendew

Party-at-the-Disco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:42 pm
I never connect things that way. When I think of evil I think of Red. When I think of Dark I think of sadness. Not all people think the same way and Maybe people are mixing goth with evil.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:59 pm
dboyzero
Like it has been mentioned, it's all about social connotations. People inherently associate the dark with evil because they fear the unknown, and darkness represents that which is unknown. When you start refering to punks and goths, their kind of "dark" is just counter-culture, the kind of shock value which frightens the older, more conservative generation. The reason the preppy kids are so well accepted is because the older generation is more comfortable with them, whereas the counter-culture by nature makes it difficult to swallow for most parents and older adults.

People label things as "evil" because they don't like it, don't understand it, or fear it. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't label punks/goths/counter-culture as evil, unless they openly practiced taboo rituals like Satanism or animal sacrifice.

Yes just like they lable power a taboo, if something is too strong to "dark" and the people in higher power dont want to be over ruled they put a taboo on it. It is kinda the same thing in school, preps find that they are in power and have the right to be rude as of gothic are new to many generations and there fore feel to be excepted but preps dont want the nice guys to gain power. There fore the poke fun at them ostrizising them as evil dark people, or emos just because they like black.
"To some people i am probaly not making any conections here.)  

ED104

A.C.Marafuji-Mouto-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:12 pm
not all dark people are evil. it's just that society has a way of fearing the darkness. you know, the monster in the dark, scary closet. it's evil cause it's in the dark and will come out and eat you. personally, i dont think evil is a real thing. for all we know, a person who one considers evil (like, say, the terrorists) they may think that they are doing a good thing and the american army is the evil because they are coming into their homeland and turning their way of life upside down. many people don't understand people who are dark, and so the greater majority of society may consider them evil  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:01 pm
A.C.Marafuji-Mouto-chan
personally, i dont think evil is a real thing. for all we know, a person who one considers evil (like, say, the terrorists) they may think that they are doing a good thing and the american army is the evil because they are coming into their homeland and turning their way of life upside down.

Yes, I think I agree...
By the same way of thinking, is anything really good? I mean, we, the Americans, think that we are the good side, and are helping to save Iraq from terrorists, etc. However, the Iraqi people dont neccessarily want our help, and we end up killing many of them. Is it possible that good and evil are just illusions meant to justify actions?
Slightly off-topic, sorry.  

Jasra007

~~cristal~moon~~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:41 am
Evil...lets see...its my opinion that someone who is actually 'evil' wont go around thinking and saying they're evil. they think what they are doing is right, but in reality it isnt. some one who goes around saying 'im evil' isnt really evil. that only happens in cartoons and stuff. basicly, real evil people dont think what they do is evil. 3nodding

Example: john killed mary because she was christian...he thinks christianity is evil so he kills her. he thinks he did a good deed. but in reality, what he did was evil.

another example: (as someone here has said before) terrorism. the terrorists think america is evil, so they try and destroy us. but in killing so many people, what they did was wrong, but they don't know it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:42 am
to me evil is when u go kill some one in cold blood, or hurt a little kid or any kid,or rape some one,but then again everyone has their own Beliefs on what they think is evil  

Elise Bear

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces